So do you think Robin is an Mary Sue?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if nothing else, how is Avatar less of a Mary Sue then the young Starfleet Lieutenant who is the origin of the name?

If nothing else, he is at least worse then Mark and My Unit. Because while people worshiped them for no reason, in the end they were just bystanders.

They were limited to the hero's secret helper and didn't have the whole plot tailored around them.

Edited by BrightBow

-Sigh- Another one of these mary sue threads. We may as well call they entire series full of nothing but mary sues at the end of this

I unironically agree.

From Wikipedia:

"In fan fiction, a Mary Sue is an idealized character representing the author."

""Mary Sue" today has changed from its original meaning and now carries a generalized, although not universal, [...] and is commonly associated with self-insertion."

So yes, by definition MU is a mary sue.

No, MU isn't a mary sue in the way you're implying, he/she isn't perfect at everything.

No, MU isn't a mary sue in the way you're implying, he/she isn't perfect at everything.

What are they bad at? This is the person that sets 400 warships on fire and gets commended for it.

I unironically call myself a Mary Sue

such a bamf

Eh. The Avatar just knows how to do everything except when the plot says he doesn't because suspense and all that.

Although that crap that happens when you really kill Validar is complete bullshit. Like, my god. My teeth hurt when I read that.

Why couldn't he just not let himslef not get posessed by the power of friendship in the first place rather than wait for the last chapter.

Sorta. Avatar is actually more of a Sue than Micaiah. (who toes the line.)

This has more to do with the self-insert nature of that character than anything else. In truth in terms of the story, Avatar can do no wrong. But unlike the say, the queen of all Sues, Bella Swan, Avatar doesnt have petty jealousy being their biggest obstacle. And the villains (not named Walhart) are interesting in Avatar for a pretty viable reason.

Sure, the team has unshakable faith in Avatar and they can marry any of the characters. Plus there isnt much eyebrow raising when Avatar pulls the stunt with the ships, nor does he/she get flak for the tactical choices in chapter 9. But Avatar isnt absolutely perfect in-universe. Such as not being able to resist the mind control to steal the Emblem, not being able to save Emmeryn, etc. I think the game's writing could have handled that better by giving Avatar some side-eyeing by his/her comrades but oh well.

The biggest moment that was very very Sue-ish was when Chrom gets "iced" and it all ends up being a magnificent set up where Avatar "powered down" the hit and planned out all this shit with Basilio. (Which the game never really hinted at prior.)

Avatar is a shameless self-insert. A Sue? That really depends on your own definition of a Mary Sue. I put Avatar in the Sue pile but i dont really care due to the fact that they are my self-insert. Its sorta like "This guy is you, but also heavily plot important. So you get some pretty mind boggling plot armor and free passes." Sues not always have to be a bad thing. I can think of a few Canon Sues who were likable characters or just a lot of fun.

I think most people wouldnt really think Avatar is a Sue as much as just a total Escapist Character.

Edited by Virion

Sorta. Avatar is actually more of a Sue than Micaiah. (who toes the line.)

This has more to do with the self-insert nature of that character than anything else. In truth in terms of the story, Avatar can do no wrong. But unlike the say, the queen of all Sues, Bella Swan, Avatar doesnt have petty jealousy being their biggest obstacle. And the villains (not named Walhart) are interesting in Avatar for a pretty viable reason.

Sure, the team has unshakable faith in Avatar and they can marry any of the characters. Plus there isnt much eyebrow raising when Avatar pulls the stunt with the ships, nor does he/she get flak for the tactical choices in chapter 9. But Avatar isnt absolutely perfect in-universe. Such as not being able to resist the mind control to steal the Emblem, not being able to save Emmeryn, etc. I think the game's writing could have handled that better by giving Avatar some side-eyeing by his/her comrades but oh well.

The biggest moment that was very very Sue-ish was when Chrom gets "iced" and it all ends up being a magnificent set up where Avatar "powered down" the hit and planned out all this shit with Basilio. (Which the game never really hinted at prior.)

Avatar is a shameless self-insert. A Sue? That really depends on your own definition of a Mary Sue. I put Avatar in the Sue pile but i dont really care due to the fact that they are my self-insert. Its sorta like "This guy is you, but also heavily plot important. So you get some pretty mind boggling plot armor and free passes." Sues not always have to be a bad thing. I can think of a few Canon Sues who were likable characters or just a lot of fun.

I think most people wouldnt really think Avatar is a Sue as much as just a total Escapist Character.

^ This. It's like you're reading my mind Viri. :)