On the topic of Recruits

MidnightShade

So, I mainly have one question to ask here: How hard would it be for me to code most of the classes in FE8 as recruit- level classes? The reason I ask is because my friend and I are currently working on a hack and we want each playthrough of it to be different than the last. After thinking about it for awhile, we decided that having tons of recruit classes, (e.g. the ones that are already in the game and others that are similiar to BWDYeti's classes).

Now, I just want to know if it would be extremely hard to do this or not. My guess is no, but since we are still only in the idea stage we aren't sure about it yet. Does anyone know?

Edited by MidnightShade

If you want to code the events that trigger their auto-promoting at level 10, it's quite difficult and requires some complicated ASM.

If not, just play around with the promotion module in Nightmare and you should get where you want quickly.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

If you want to code the events that trigger their auto-promoting at level 10, it's quite difficult and requires some complicated ASM.

If not, just play around with the promotion module in Nightmare and you should get where you want quickly.

Well, I'd better start practicing I suppose. Or I could look into the Nightmare module. Either way, thanks for answering!

the nightmare module wouldn't be of any help

i'm decently sure that the trainee classes are coded in via asm so you'd need to be somewhat savvy to find and locate that but if my guess is right (i haven't screwed around in an fe8 rom for a while) it shouldn't be too hard to mess with once you find it

The promotion for the trainee classes is locked to the character, at least on some level. Doing one of those random reclass things I had someone in a trainee class, and they just couldn't promote. What you could do relatively easily (I think) is give a class the high EXP gain and let them promote via some item into normal classes. Just add a bunch of promo items to the game.

The promotion for the trainee classes is locked to the character, at least on some level. Doing one of those random reclass things I had someone in a trainee class, and they just couldn't promote. What you could do relatively easily (I think) is give a class the high EXP gain and let them promote via some item into normal classes. Just add a bunch of promo items to the game.

what happens is that the auto promotion is locked to character but a master seal works fine to promote them

the nightmare module wouldn't be of any help

Can't you just create a new class which promotes to two basic classes and then make an item promote the trainees?

What you could do relatively easily (I think) is give a class the high EXP gain and let them promote via some item into normal classes. Just add a bunch of promo items to the game.

That's what I was trying to say.

Maybe have multiple promotion items that each have two different classes for characters to promote into?

ULTIMATE ONE-MAN-ARMY WHO CAN PROMOTE TO EVERYTHING.

Well, that would be funny.

But at this point just put every possible promotion for that class in one item, which is the point in having many (apart from finding the items)?

If a mage can promote with an item to sage or bishop and with another item to valchirie or druid, just put sage-bishop-valchirie-druid in one item and you give the player the same possibilities.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

That's a new one.

Well, what I meant by that are the trainee classes on his FE7X project.

it's spelled bwd not bdw

oh. Well, that's simple enough. probably why I mispelled it if I'm honest. xD