What happens to the units that disappear after you conquer a castle?

Eldigan

This was one thing that I never understood in FE4. If you conquer an enemy castle and that castle's phase still has units out there, they'll all magically disappear from the map. Even important enemies, like Burian from the final chapter, will just vanish into nothingness once you kill of the dark mage on his castle and take it with Seliph. What happens to them?

I would assume that since their base is captured, they surrender since there's no more reason to fight. Then, they go home to become family men.

They surrender.

Some are probably captured.

I don't see Sigurd/Seliph executing anyone...

Still, I can't image some of the enemies giving up so easily just because their castle got captured (Arion and his dragonknights come to mind). You'd think they would just try to get it back.

It's not any different from seize maps in any other Fire Emblem game: You seize the throne/gate and you win.

I've always imagined that in the others, if you defeat the boss or seize a gate, everyone just moves on to the next map leaving the previous enemies behind (who presumably don't chase you). The map system is different in FE4 though; even if you capture a castle, you're still in the same map.

I believe Ishtar kills herself in the final chapter if she's still alive and you capture Julius' castle.

You know, I wonder if Eldigan says anything in chapter 3 if he's still alive when you capture Shagall's castle.

I believe Ishtar kills herself in the final chapter if she's still alive and you capture Julius' castle.

You know, I wonder if Eldigan says anything in chapter 3 if he's still alive when you capture Shagall's castle.

I'd imagine that's pretty hard to do because you'll probably lose half your army by the time you reach Shagall. Eldigan dies in the canon storyline though, and I can't imagine him killing himself, so there probably wouldn't be any dialogue.

Wait.. How is it even possible...

He gets his head axed well before that, no ?

Wait.. How is it even possible...

He gets his head axed well before that, no ?

I guess it's theoretically possible to ignore Eldigan and send Sigurd to kill Shagall and capture the castle.

I doubt he says anything. The only time someone else speaks when you trigger the "all enemies disappear" is Manfroy when you defeat Julius. It's moot anyway since the game treats Eldigan as dying regardless if it was by your hand or Shaggal's.

I'd imagine that's pretty hard to do because you'll probably lose half your army by the time you reach Shagall.

It actually isn't that difficult

he doesn't say anything