Dismounting. Yay or Nay

Jedi

Thoughts on Dismount  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Dismounting?

• I enjoyed it
    • I'm indifferent to it
    • Did not enjoy
    • Other (Make clear the view in your post)
  2. 2. Would you like for it to return in a future FE?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Maybe instead of having all dismounted use swords, you could give all characters who can use mounts have seperate weapon ranks for fighting on foot and on a mount.

Edited by The Void

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They still lost stats across the board, mostly 1-3. The Dragon Knights had it the worst since they lose about 5 Defense on dismounting.

I guess it makes sense. A big portion of Dragon Knight power probably comes from the fact they're, y'know, riding a dragon. Take the dragon away, and they're a lot weaker.

Besides, I think that Dragon Knights are usually too strong anyway. Anything that hits them hard is probably a good thing. Even with the big penalties, Dean was still a really strong character.

• 3 weeks later...

Basically, it wasn't the nerf IS wanted. The only units it nerfed were Lance and Axe only using mounted units who were forced to switch to swords. Sword Knights and Paladins were barely touched, the former even only loses movement stats.

The fact that one particular Axe Knight and Lance Knight is STILL >>>>> All Paladin in that game should say something on how much this attempt failed

Not to mention the majority of the map is still an outdoor, so having mounts is still better than not having mounts

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

The fact that one particular Axe Knight and Lance Knight is STILL >>>>> All Paladin in that game should say something on how much this attempt failed

by lance knight, you mean finn... but i can't tell whom the axe knight is supposed to be. brighton is mediocre and hicks sucks. if it weren't for the fact that brighton were forced in manster, i would prefer to deploy fred for the utility. also, i think that brighton usually ends up captured in SSS rank runs.

amalda is a pretty good paladin. nanna, too, if she counts.

Not to mention the majority of the map is still an outdoor, so having mounts is still better than not having mounts

of course, but although karin, and finn are go-to units outdoors, i would rather deploy ralph, othin, trewd, etc. indoors.

give all lance-wielding enemies in the next Fire Emblem Beast Killers and keep Pegasus Knights and mounts with the beast classification :Kappa:

in all seriousness, I'd prefer slapping a movement penalty like in FE10, except make it more harsh

Edited by shadykid

give all lance-wielding enemies in the next Fire Emblem Beast Killers and keep Pegasus Knights and mounts with the beast classification :Kappa:

in all seriousness, I'd prefer slapping a movement penalty like in FE10, except make it more harsh

You'd just need to have it in more chapters. Very few of the GM chapters involve a movement restriction; after the end of Part 1, there are only four indoor maps left in the game, one of which doesn't even have any mounted units.

How about a movement penalty and dismount at the same time :P That's harsh right 3 Move xD.

In all seriousness, I'd prefer dismount over the movement penalty of fe10. But the movement penalty did work somewhat, there was just a lack of indoor maps

Edited by Folgore Red II

I guess it makes sense. A big portion of Dragon Knight power probably comes from the fact they're, y'know, riding a dragon. Take the dragon away, and they're a lot weaker.

Besides, I think that Dragon Knights are usually too strong anyway. Anything that hits them hard is probably a good thing. Even with the big penalties, Dean was still a really strong character.

I figure Dragon Knights are stronger than most classes because the enemies, or at least a certain enemy nation, tend to use a lot of them while they're playable only fairly late in the game.

Dean could easily avoid most incoming damage too with his Dragon Lance having both Ambush and striking twice. Even against 2 range, his lance level is so high he can just spam the Master Lances almost nobody else uses.

Berwick Saga has dismounting with buyable mounts, right?

How did that work out?

From the little I know, horses have health and can die, sometimes in a single hit depending on the weapon. The Knight Killer is basically this instead of bonus damage to mounted units.

A handful of horses also give a certain stat boost, such as movement, damage or agility. There's even a skill that allows characters to swap horses.

There's only one flyer in the game, a Dragon Knight, and her mount doesn't seem to be replaceable or be able to die. She also has the weird quirk of being unable to be attacked by 0 range (essentially 1 range in FE), among others like an innate Pass skill.

You'd just need to have it in more chapters. Very few of the GM chapters involve a movement restriction; after the end of Part 1, there are only four indoor maps left in the game, one of which doesn't even have any mounted units.

wait, which 4 maps are those?

2-E, 3-13, 4-4, ?

(on that note, 2-P ftw)

the next game should troll you with pegasus enemies and dracoknight allies

Edited by shadykid

honestly i think a lot of the balance issues regarding mounts with fe5 were just because well, fe5, and not really the dismounting system it used.

i mean would anyone really think fergus is the best in modern games, where there's no PCC? and swords are like, the lamest weapon type besides bows. and the all 20 caps (note, not specifically referring to capped stats, but rather the fact that enemies were made weaker to compensate) shifted a lot of the focus from player stats (which were still important, but less so; i mean look at dean) to other things, such as skills, proofs, PCC, or being Dean. In a future game, say FE8, having Cormag with like 5 Move and those penalties would be a hell of a lot less appealing!

so let's say FE5 dismounting was in like, FE8 (4 move for unpromoted mounts/5 move for promoted mounts, except let's be generous and say it doesn't affect great knights so that they have some sort of niche even though we all know IS would give them like 3 move indoors even though that's completely idiotic). all of your mounts are nerfed pretty damn hard, i mean only seth looks like he'd be remotely helpful. and uh...ugh, i lost my train of thought, point is, fe5 dismounting was rad, all of peoples' balance issues are with fe5 itself.

wait, which 4 maps are those?

2-E, 3-13, 4-4, ?

(on that note, 2-P ftw)

the next game should troll you with pegasus enemies and dracoknight allies

3-8 has a movement penalty, I don't think 2-E has one. 2-2 is indoors so it would presumably have movement penalties, but you don't get any mounted units in that chapter anyway.

3-8 has a movement penalty, I don't think 2-E has one. 2-2 is indoors so it would presumably have movement penalties, but you don't get any mounted units in that chapter anyway.

uh......

isn't 2-2 the fog of war map with Lucia?

I think that's outside....

uh......

isn't 2-2 the fog of war map with Lucia?

I think that's outside....

This is totally inside

Also wow why did this turn out so blurry

376c0e6cda95b5750969601a6d58e582.png

Here's a way to handle mounts in a game with dismounting from what I've seen:

Certain units can get on mounts (and they don't always start being playable on a mount, where they get more mobility, along with stat bonuses and penalties, take effective damage from certain classes and/or weapons, etc. The mounts are killable (with the rider taking damage if the mount is killed while he or she is riding it) and can be found at various points.

Edited by The Void

Here's a way to handle mounts in a game with dismounting from what I've seen:

Certain units can get on mounts (and they don't always start being playable on a mount, where they get more mobility, along with stat bonuses and penalties, take effective damage from certain classes and/or weapons, etc. The mounts are killable (with the rider taking damage if the mount is killed while he or she is riding it) and can be found at various points.

So you think Berwick Saga is the way to go then? Hmm, I'm not sure.