I say this game beats out Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones.

There are plenty of things that are I love about FE6, but there are also several faults that I attribute as the result of the radical shift from FE5.

They took a risk with the more cartoon-like graphics, but it proved to be charming, as well as aging pretty well. While flashy crits have been around for long before this, they weren't cemented until warriorcopters and flying nomad troopers came to be, and now they're a series staple.

The story is simpler, cheerier, and definitely more of a cliche. It bugged me how every chapter had the same format of Roy talking to Merlinus/another important person about the current state of things. Everything was so plainly spelled out, the story could have used less telling and more showing pertaining to events and enemies. But since more elaborate scenes focusing on enemy units were few and far between pre-FE7, this is understandable. However, the chapters quickly became repetitive because of this formula, more so because the only objective is seize.

I really liked the villains. Zephiel's backstory was already pretty tragic, but Blazing Sword cemented it even further and showed us the events that would lead up to his despair. Idoun was another tragic villain, a living being turned into a weapon. Then there were manipulators like Yahn, people you were excited to defeat like Narcien...it was a pretty diverse cast of antagonists. I was disappointed that Roartz and Arcard were built up to be diabolical schemers but then they were shown to be cowards in their first appearance (from what I recall). This is especially disappointing because I expected something more intimidating from Etruria's corrupt nobility, but they were pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

The player units were a little bit more boring, though I liked the large cast. There's also a lot of freedom with characters you want to use. Some were clearly better than others, but it's not like the game would become impossible if you used a few B-listers. The addition of true support conversations also gave characters a lot more room to grow.

The map designs are pretty varied, but I found it hard to deal with things that you didn't know were coming (reinforcements in particular). Instead of being setbacks, they became something that distracted you from the main objective. But I like the maps overall, despite the only objective being seize and the annoying gimmicks in the gaiden chapters. Some were just more frustrating than challenging.

So I respect FE6 for establishing things like supports convos and fun, flashy crits, and the risks IS took in the move to a new console payed off for sure. Overall, it just could have been less repetitive and more complex in regard to the story format and less frustrating in regards to the map designs. There's a lot of good stuff in this game, but I believe its true potential was far off.

They also decided to continue the trend of FE5, by having an extremely bad lord...

Leif is one of the better characters during MPB

I won't call him a "bad" lord by any sense of the word

Roy's suckiness are enough to make him 1-2RKOed by a Bolting, which is laughable

On Topic: The game is flawed and has laughable "NO PRE BATTLE ITEM USE!!!", something that first appeared in FE7 IIRC

Growth rate is actually not THAT bad. Sometime I found my units to grow faster in this game instead of FE7

Admitably Marcus Emblem is one of the best HM in the series

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

Leif is one of the better characters during MPB

I won't call him a "bad" lord by any sense of the word

Roy's suckiness are enough to make him 1-2RKOed by a Bolting, which is laughable

On Topic: The game is flawed and has laughable "NO PRE BATTLE ITEM USE!!!", something that first appeared in FE7 IIRC

Growth rate is actually not THAT bad. Sometime I found my units to grow faster in this game instead of FE7

Admitably Marcus Emblem is one of the best HM in the series

Yeah, I wasn't really sure aboyt me when I posted that... He's less good than in FE4, but that doesn't mean a lot...(What does MBP means, by the way ?)

Roy is pretty awfull, and his promotion is without a doubt one of the lamest...

While this game is the most difficult of the three, and would be even with better weapon accuracy, that's still a large part of the difficulty, and not in a good way. I want chapters to be difficult because of the power/placement of the enemies and the design, not because I can't rely on my characters hitting half of the time. And then the HM boosts are outrageous, making the character balance one of the worst IMO. The Seize objectives are difficult only because Roy is just so bad he gets doubled by Bolting, and can't kill anything.

FE6 never wasted my time with bullshit like "character development" or "defense chapters".

i love this game. definitely the best in the entire series imo

i don't really think there is anything particularly special about the growths in this game; i've never found them to be noticeably lower than those in other GBA games. there are a lot of useless characters, and some objective differentiation would have been nice, but seize objectives are generally the most strategically challenging, so i don't mind that at all. the only problem is the monotony.

Growths are definitely much lower for promoted units, and they're slightly lower for most units. Then again, the difference is all of ~25%, spread across multiple stats.

But of course you won't notice, when you play on 0% growths :P

They also decided to continue the trend of FE5, by having an extremely bad lord...

For the standards of his own game, Leif was actually pretty good. (His bases are pretty bad though)

I'll admit I have more fun playing FE6 than any of the other GBA FE's (and have replayed it more often) but I know it's not one of the better games in the series.

Leif's reason for being a bad unit are simple: Leif is a trainee unit when you really think about it.

I mean: Lord-> Prince-> Master Knight.

• 2 months later...

So what's "legitimate" challenge?

Anything that you could theoretically beat on your first try, no matter how unlikely. So, even stuff like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPUQDlrZ_MQ

While ridiculous, doesn't rely on cheap tricks, so it's still legitimate.

Stuff like say, the "Mathew's Nightmare" romhack on the other hand is something that nobody could beat without multiple retries, no matter how skilled. This is because it changes the rules on you on multiple occasions and even punishes you for landing on innocuous squares, without any sort of warning or indication that there are even traps to begin with.

THAT is not legitimate challenge. And FE6 falls into that with it's cheap reinforcements.

Edited by FionordeQuester

• 2 weeks later...

The only time where the reinforcements are the type where they come out of nowhere was FE6 version of Cog of Destiny

That being said, the Weapon Accuracy and super terrible interface is the real problem of FE6

The only time where the reinforcements are the type where they come out of nowhere was FE6 version of Cog of Destiny

That being said, the Weapon Accuracy and super terrible interface is the real problem of FE6

Chapter 21, right? Yeah, that was the only time the reinforcements really annoyed me. After i discovered how to avoid them, they've never given me any problem, though.

They were a huge problem in my HM Bow Users run since crossing a certain invisible line somewhere on the map triggered a wave of reinforcements. Thanks to a map someone showed me, I could plan ahead to get Roy safely to the throne.

All of the reinforcement spots are clearly marked on the map.

What. This, like a lot of what you post, makes no sense whatsoever.

Edited by Levant Fortner