SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

That smoking thing is pretty cool. I like a lot of the new features that have been shown off, but somehow, I don't feel as excited for this game as I used to. I'm looking forward to playing the demo on the 14th, but I'm more excited for Pokemon ORAS.

Also this thread: SSB4: Ike Discussion Thread

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, this is an FE forum. And Ike is the most recently revealed character. And it seemed to catch everyone off guard. So yeah, HYPE!! ^^

Sadly, I might not be able to go up to Raleigh for the demo... ;_;

My mom will be driving back from PA with some family at the time on that Saturday. And my stepdad doesn't seem willing to take me, even though I even said I'd buy the gas. I kept saying it's worth it and stuff! xP And that I could potentially meet some cool people and make a friend or two!

I just REALLY wanna go if it means I can try out Luigi and Ike! Ike especially since even though I like both characters pretty equally, I had more fun playing Ike in Brawl. :P

Man, this thread went totally dead all of a sudden. o.o No one has anything to talk about regarding SSB4 right now?

Well, I just realized something. People on Facebook are being just as ridiculous about Ike's reveal as those Japanese that were calling him gorilla. xP Like some of those Japanese, they didn't even recognize Ike's RD look and many don't even seem to have played a single FE game. And some say this was a lazy choice and that Roy was better.

For one thing, if it was so lazy, why'd Sakurai start from scratch and give Ike an entirely new design? lol If they wanted to be lazy, I think his team would've stuck with the PoR model. xP

For another, since they haven't played FE, these people don't know how important Ike is in the series. They also don't appear to know the real reason Roy didn't make it into Brawl. And they're getting their hopes up way too high for Roy. I honestly don't think he's coming back.

Lastly, a lot were whining for Chrom too, so they're also probably Awakening fanboys that never played either of Ike's titles.

I can't blame anyone for simply not knowing some things, but they're way too quick to judge. Poor Ike, he didn't really deserve a lot of those negative comments. :(

Thankfully though, there were also some people in those comments arguing against all this and being supportive of Sakurai's choice to keep Ike. I liked that. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

I enjoy Ike more than Roy because he has the unique moveset. I've been telling my friends for years that they should have used his RD model to better match his fighting style, so glad they finally did it.

But I'm still hoping we can get one more rep from FE. Someone from Awakening would make sense because it was so positively reviewed and was one of a few games that helped the 3DS become more successful. In addition, it's the most current FE at the momment, which should help an Awakening's reps' chances. So Lucina, Avatar, or Chrom would be reasonable reps. If you wanna throw people for a loop and represent FE games as a series, throw in Anna. She's all over the FE universe and doesn't have blue hair :P

Not to mention one Anna sister is the strongest character in Awakening in Apotheosis.

Not to mention one Anna sister is the strongest character in Awakening in Apotheosis.

One Anna sister?! You do realize that they are the same Anna except that they've met each other through time travel, right?

FE is well deserving to have another rep because of Awakening's success to not only saving the series from dying, but also getting the series more attention that it incredibly deserves.

Man, this thread went totally dead all of a sudden. o.o No one has anything to talk about regarding SSB4 right now?

Well, I just realized something. People on Facebook are being just as ridiculous about Ike's reveal as those Japanese that were calling him gorilla. xP Like some of those Japanese, they didn't even recognize Ike's RD look and many don't even seem to have played a single FE game. And some say this was a lazy choice and that Roy was better.

For one thing, if it was so lazy, why'd Sakurai start from scratch and give Ike an entirely new design? lol If they wanted to be lazy, I think his team would've stuck with the PoR model. xP

For another, since they haven't played FE, these people don't know how important Ike is in the series. They also don't appear to know the real reason Roy didn't make it into Brawl. And they're getting their hopes up way too high for Roy. I honestly don't think he's coming back.

Lastly, a lot were whining for Chrom too, so they're also probably Awakening fanboys that never played either of Ike's titles.

I can't blame anyone for simply not knowing some things, but they're way too quick to judge. Poor Ike, he didn't really deserve a lot of those negative comments. :(

Thankfully though, there were also some people in those comments arguing against all this and being supportive of Sakurai's choice to keep Ike. I liked that. ^^

FFS Ana. THIS post right here is why people get annoyed to death with your constant fangasming over Ike. I could say the same about you being incredibly quick to judge R.O.B. without taking the slight amount of effort to look on Wikipedia or Google or ANYTHING to learn the thing's importance. As for disappointment over Roy? They could have changed his moveset in a similar fashion that Luigi's been evolving since 64.

"AWAKENING FANBOYS NEVER PLAYED PRECIOUS AIKU-SAMA'S GAMES"

His games TANKED in Japan and even internationally, those sales pale in comparison to Awakening. You shouldn't be surprised to see people want Chrom over some relatively obscure gorilla.

But seriously, wow. Just wow.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

This thread is literally 'IKE IKE IKE'. Yeah, he's playable again, yay, but could the discussion be about something else other than Ike speculation?

I like the guy and think he's cool, but holy shit.

And where the FUCK are the Ice Climbers?

This thread is literally 'IKE IKE IKE'. Yeah, he's playable again, yay, but could the discussion be about something else other than Ike speculation?

Hee hee...

Because Ike fights for his friends, he's undefeated, and some girls love undefeated men the most. :3 Maybe Ana's case.

Plus that extra muscle.

isfw.gif

Ohhhh.....

The Ice Climbers...I want to tickle them and cradle their brains out until the sleep happily in my arms. The development on the Wii was too tough is why that they couldn't make it.

5gk9s.jpg

Plus the polar bear with the sunglasses.

Edited by Barbie

Canada's Best Buy Smash Demo locations and times have been posted. It looks like I'm going to both the Wednesday and Saturday events fully clad in my Marth cosplay. =D

Also, these news pieces probably mean very little for both Mallo's and Takamaru's chances of being playable in SSB4 (especially since roster decisions were likely finalized last year), but I thought I'd mention it anyways: Pushmo is getting it's 3rd game on the Wii U and The Mysterious Murasame Castle is being released on the European 3DS Virtual Console despite being a Japan only title.

On the topic of R.O.B:

R.O.B. was the only Brawl newcomer that I mained, since Lucario (my most wanted Brawl newcomer that made it in) became a secondary due to his KO power being too weak for me most of the time (I hope Aura in SSB4 won't make Lucario too weak at low damage). Plus, R.O.B.'s pretty cool, being a robot with a jet powered base and eye lasers. I've always liked robots, even as a kid.

As for him being "a waste of a slot", that's hardly the case due to how R.O.B. helped market the NES outside of Japan by having people think it was a remote control robot, hence why they called the game console an "entertainment system" and why the NES was called the "Control Deck", so people wouldn't associate it as a game console since people outside Japan really hated gaming after all the video game crash. The NES was even design to look like a VCR (hence the side loading cartridge mechanism) and not a game console so people outside of Japan wouldn't go look at the NES and think "ugh, another game console. Like I'm buying another one of those after E.T." Ultimately, R.O.B. served as the trojan horse to get gaming popular and liked again outside of Japan. You can't tell me Nintendo's trojan horse that revived gaming outside of Japan is a "waste of a slot", especially since Nintendo very likely would never have gotten popular outside of Japan if it wasn't for R.O.B.

Even without R.O.B.'s role in Nintendo history, I don't think Sakurai will cut R.O.B., since Sakurai's bringing back the Subspace Army in the 3DS Version's Smash Run. It'd be really weird for Sakurai to bring back the R.O.B. enemies, yet cut the playable R.O.B. from the roster.

Also:

smashsteam.png

Edit: Beaten to it. Anyways, I'm already thinking up some funny screenshots to take using the steam, like fully charged fart Wario emitting a lot of steam and everyone around him having disgusted faces.

I like how Nintendo is adding in these small details that surprisingly add so much life to the game.

This please.

So what characters are you guys wanting to get announced at E3?

Why have Ice Climbers when you can have Ike

youtube.com/watch?v=tCXABhlj3nI

trollface_smiley.png

Edited by shinpichu

Simon Belmont. Yes, third-party, I know.

And no, I would not mind it if it were his incarnation in Mirror of Fate. Just so long as I get Simon Belmont. Seriously, I feel he's got a lot of potential. Like, c'mon. Aside from the whip, just imagine his subweapons, heck, imagine if some of the subweapons could be picked up after they were thrown. Like, the knife or the axe.

Edited by Dai

FFS Ana. THIS post right here is why people get annoyed to death with your constant fangasming over Ike. I could say the same about you being incredibly quick to judge R.O.B. without taking the slight amount of effort to look on Wikipedia or Google or ANYTHING to learn the thing's importance. As for disappointment over Roy? They could have changed his moveset in a similar fashion that Luigi's been evolving since 64.

His games TANKED in Japan and even internationally, those sales pale in comparison to Awakening. You shouldn't be surprised to see people want Chrom over some relatively obscure gorilla.

Okay, you're right that I was a little hypocritical there. I forgot about the ROB thing. >_<

As for Roy, that's probably what Sakurai had wanted to do. He just didn't have enough time.

I never said I was surprised. A game's sales mean nothing. PoR and RD had pretty good reviews for the most part and they were poorly advertised too, not to mention PoR was released at the end of the GC's lifespan. And now PoR and RD are really hard to find and afford. Awakening was advertised to death and more copies were made available, of course more people are going to buy it. Also, Ike is hardly obscure to Smash fans. He was in Brawl. :/ They just never seemed to know that his appearance in Radiant Dawn is different.

And if I can't be so quick to judge like you say, these people shouldn't either.

But the fact that Ike's games being more available alone could have changed a lot of these people's views makes me sad. I also don't get how people think a clone like Roy is better than someone unique and different like Ike. Is it because Ike "replaced" Roy? If so, that's a pretty dumb reason to hate him.

Simon Belmont. Yes, third-party, I know.

And no, I would not mind it if it were his incarnation in Mirror of Fate. Just so long as I get Simon Belmont. Seriously, I feel he's got a lot of potential. Like, c'mon. Aside from the whip, just imagine his subweapons, heck, imagine if some of the subweapons could be picked up after they were thrown. Like, the knife or the axe.

I can see the Bible as his neutral special, cross as his side special, holy water down special, and chain grab as his up( the thing he does in Super Castvania 4).

Okay, you're right that I was a little hypocritical there. I forgot about the ROB thing. >_<

As for Roy, that's probably what Sakurai had wanted to do. He just didn't have enough time.

I never said I was surprised. A game's sales mean nothing. PoR and RD had pretty good reviews for the most part and they were poorly advertised too, not to mention PoR was released at the end of the GC's lifespan. And now PoR and RD are really hard to find and afford. Awakening was advertised to death and more copies were made available, of course more people are going to buy it. Also, Ike is hardly obscure to Smash fans. He was in Brawl. :/ They just never seemed to know that his appearance in Radiant Dawn is different.

And if I can't be so quick to judge like you say, these people shouldn't either.

But the fact that Ike's games being more available alone could have changed a lot of these people's views makes me sad. I also don't get how people think a clone like Roy is better than someone unique and different like Ike. Is it because Ike "replaced" Roy? If so, that's a pretty dumb reason to hate him.

roy at least has the potential to branch off, you know, kind of like what ike did with the whole outfit changing thing. can i make a joke about ike having a bigger wardrobe than marth now

yeah, where the heck are those controller breakers ice climbers

Amazingly enough, Ana, people can like one character more than the other, regardless of their status as a clone or a unque character. I loved playing as Roy back in Melee, he was one of my mains along with Peach. I can barely even play as Ike due to his speed (I prefer light/middle weight chars)

Even then, people have their own reasons for not liking a character. They can be shallow, or well thought out, or just plain bizarre, but they're reasons nonetheless. I don't like this incarnation of Ike because I'm not fond of his appearance and how he was handled in RD in general. Even with the popularity of Smash not everyone will know who Ike is right off the bat. Even then those that do (or don't) will like how he looks. It's a lot different from his Ranger look and is bound to throw off those who only have knowledge of his PoR appearance or only know him through Brawl. No one is obligated to learn more about him either.

This please.

So what characters are you guys wanting to get announced at E3?

I've said my piece already. Mother.

Bring in Mother. MOTHEEEEER. D:

-----

Mother 1, 2, 3 Major Spoilers

Mother is the evilist series and it all connects into one story. Mother 1 tells on how Giygas was created by Maria who also created Magicant which was a figment of her imagination that has made his timely escape to contine his bidding in another era. Mother 2 continue Giygas' story that allows a deranged boy to follow whatever Giygas commands. Mother 3 continues the deranged boy's story who was under Giygas' control that went to another era 100 years later.

Mother/FE/Pokemon>>>>Everything else

Edited by Barbie

Oh yeah, I don't deny that people can like Roy more than Ike. I'm saying that I don't get how Roy is better as a Smash character. He could have been really neat to play as, imo, but he was just a Marth clone with fire.

And I guess I'm just sad to see so much Ike hate... I thought most people loved him except in Japan. Or maybe it's just the Ike haters being more vocal?

This and this. I am really seriously sick of freaking Ike. I mean, what if everyone went on about their favorite character constantly, no one would want to ever hear of that character ever again. There's a reason why I like Micaiah, Miranda, and Ena so much;

they have tiny fanbases.

One thing I definitely agree with Ana on is how annoying all the people who want Roy back are. It makes it pretty clear that these people don't actually play Fire Emblem at all, because most who play FE don't want Roy back over another FE rep. They just chant "ROY'S OUR BOY" like they actually care about the character beyond him having appeared in Melee and not even knowing anything he's saying. He's not even good competitively, so it's not like top players have any special place for him like they might Sheik, Marth, and Ice Climbers.

Thing is, if you were to just look at the FE series as a whole and consider which characters would be good for SSB, assuming none had ever been in before, Roy wouldn't be among the first choices at all. You'd have Marth first, then Ike, then probably Lyn or Eliwood because FE7 was the first internationally released FE, but nothing would put Roy into consideration except for the fact that he does happen to be the main character in one game, yet no more important than any other Lord in the series that had one game.