SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I honestly don't get the ROB hate. It almost begs the question "What did he ever do to you, man?"

Edited by Jave

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Link in Melee as a secondary after Luigi, though I don't remember how good I was with him. I dropped him as soon as Toon Link showed up though, I like TL way better than TP Link. It was reasonable to update his design though, so I was never mad that OoT Link got dropped.

I honestly don't get the ROB hate. It almost begs the question "What did he ever do to you, man?"

I guess, that's exactly the point. "Nothing." He didn't do anything that would make anyone want him in the game.

I don't even know of anyone who knew him before Brawl. I guess most people expect more from a character to be worthy of a playable spot in Smash.

I was such a boss with Link in 64, and now I completely suck with him in both Melee and Brawl. Let's see how he fares in SSB4 o3o

edit: hey, I found ROB fun to use and hilarious :(

Edited by Quintessence

What did ROB do? How about revive the console gaming industry in the West after the Crash of 1983. He's the reason any of us (unless there are people here who played video games before 1983) even had video games as kids. If not for ROB, the NES probably would have probably bombed in the United States and console video games would be a Japan-exclusive thing.

I always saw ROB being in the game as some sort of acknowledgement to it's role in helping Nintendo survive the 1983 Videogame Crash.

Ah, got beaten to it, haha.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

It's not that nobody knew who ROB was (you guys probably don't remember the early NES days), it's more than he was such an out of left field choice that nobody legitimately thought of him as a choice in the first place. Kinda like Wii Fit Trainer, as people clearly know who she is, but nobody ever thought of her as someone Sakurai would consider in the first place. ROB fits the "WTF character" criteria in that regard (like Mr. G&W was in Melee), a character that nobody expects, but makes perfect sense once it sinks in.

I also love his design. I wonder how would Mega Man react on meeting him.

I don't mind the fact that Toon Link is still a clone. Young/Toon Link where my mains so i'm glad he seems relatively unchanged. I know he could use wind waker weapons or something, but I just don't want him to.

Toon Link is not a clone. Maybe a semi-clone, but the number of people who are good with one and bad with the other is enough to say he is definitely not a clone.

And as far as I'm concerned, "semi-clone" is a worthless distinction.

What did ROB do? How about revive the console gaming industry in the West after the Crash of 1983. He's the reason any of us (unless there are people here who played video games before 1983) even had video games as kids. If not for ROB, the NES probably would have probably bombed in the United States and console video games would be a Japan-exclusive thing.

I always saw ROB being in the game as some sort of acknowledgement to it's role in helping Nintendo survive the 1983 Videogame Crash.

Ah, got beaten to it, haha.

And that's why I like ROB and don't want it cut. I also enjoy using it.

Uh, wasn't it games like Mario and Zelda that made Nintendo a hit, not stuff with a robot in it?

I can use Toon Link and can't play Link at all. That should tell you how much different they are.

i probably should have explained why i said so in the first place. well, better late than never... rob represents his own thing, and toon link is another link. i know they play entirely differently, but i was aiming for representation purposes. that's not to say that toon link is a waste, but definitely more so than rob would be, since we already have zelda reps, including a different link (yes i know they're from different games but the point still stands).

Uh, wasn't it games like Mario and Zelda that made Nintendo a hit, not stuff with a robot in it?

they're big franchises that sell really well, but rob still played a big part in reviving the industry, as cleveland said

Edited by Comet

The thing was that the problem not only lied in the public being wary of buying video games, but also the stores were wary in stocking them and put them on sale. The NES got released in 1985-1986, when the effects of the 1983 Crash were at it's worst, and as shown here, the NES actually did terrible at first, deepening the West's mindset that video games were something that was gonna be lost in obscurity, like a fad. That's why ROB was made, to appeal to the West that the NES wasn't merely a "video game console" but something else than it, so the West could give it a try. And of course, the result is history.

So you could say, that "they came for ROB, but stayed for Mario, DK, Link, etc"

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Ohhh, I see. I wasn't born until 91, so I never knew about any of that stuff. In fact, I barely even got to touch an NES. My first console was the SNES. :P

R.O.B is an important piece of Nintendo history, even being born in 92 I tend to do massive research.

Smash is just that too, Nintendo History mashed together into a celebration

Also going to the Link and Toon Link deal I've always been better with Adult Link due to his range and somewhat more power fitting my style more then Tink who is fast which I also like. I just flow with Adult more. Especially in the two games I main him. Melee and Project M

Also my first consoles were the Nes and Sega Genesis that my Mom owned. My first video games I played were Mario 3 and Sonic 2

Edited by Jedisupersonic

I find I'm not so great with faster characters either, but I was decent with Toon Link. People always said that my Luigi was a bit better than my Ike though. However, I was able to beat good Marth and Meta Knight players with him. Though that might have had to do with the fact that Ike both out-ranged and overpowered them, and was tough for them to KO because they have weak attack power. :P

I had way more trouble against them with Luigi.

I actually like this trend of Sakurai introducing obscure characters that represent a piece of Nintendo hardware.

Power Glove for Smash 4!

Anyway, I feel pretty "eh" on R.O.B. I wasn't that bad with him, even though that doesn't say much because for some reason I seem to be pretty decent with everybody besides Link, Falco, Fox, Kirby, Game & Watch, and Olimar, but I don't really care if he leaves or not. If he does come back though, I hope they make his final smash more interesting than what it was, because it was lame in Brawl.

Edited by Konnor97

ROB is in many games as cameos. I think he's here to stay for personal reasons.

But if he isn't buffed, I won't even bother. His final smash was useless.

Speaking of Final Smashes, Ike better get blue flames in his Great Aether now! Since he's RD Ike this time, it just wouldn't feel right if he didn't! He's the one that glowed with blue fire at the end of that game because of Yune!

Edited by Anacybele

rob was actually pretty good in brawl, but he just got wrecked by most high tier characters like meta knight. if sakurai did a better job balancing the game, i think he'd be just fine.

I have faith in the Ice Climbers for reasons Ana just said.

As for Lucas, the Mother series has a low roster to begin with. I don't see them cutting Lucas. Just alter his moveset to differentiate Ness and him.

I'd much rather have someone replace Lucas since the series has a far better line up of characters than him, but since he is the main protagonist, that's not gonna happen. Still want Paula or Kumatora tho

Adding Jigglypuff will just overkill the Pokemon roster at this point.

Makes two of us.
I don't mind Claus either. I actually want him over Kumatora.

I really hope Jigglypuff comes back. She's so cute!

And a veteran from 64. Which means Captain Falcon, and Ness will be back too (I hope).

Of course.
They are near guaranteed to come back.

I don't know why anyone thinks Jigglypuff or Ice Climbers might be cut. Jiggs is a 64 veteran and Ice Climbers are both a Melee veteran and representing their own series.

This relieves me of Ness' chances.
Ness is a 64 veteran. Ness must return.

this, though i can also see snake, wolf, and lucas coming back.

"ROB is a waste of a slot." AHAHAHAHAHA. (insert picture of toon link)

Don't know why that we still have him when Young Link is loved alot more.
By me...of course. :3

As for cuts. I think they will either boot Falco or Wolf, but not both of them. I think Wolf is the more likely of the two.

Falco is favored over. HE MUST STAY.

Snake is probably the only character whose status is completely out of Sakurai's hands. If Konami lets him return, I'm 100% sure Sakurai will bring him back. If not, then obviously he's gone.

Approval of Koonami has to be induced upon his return and to possibly put in Grey Fox.

Nothing.
He must have a return. If not...they can possibly put in
rpyp.jpg
Disk Kun.

Him and Mr.Game and Watch are why videogames even exist. So...they always deserve a spot. ...Or one of the two.

Exactly.

Ohhh, I see. I wasn't born until 91, so I never knew about any of that stuff. In fact, I barely even got to touch an NES. My first console was the SNES. :P

qwib.png
^
I
I
Well...sorta. xP
(What does age matter anyhow...? :D)
NES era for me as I existed 11 years before you. 1980. :D
First game ever...Super Mario Bros.
------
@RedFoxOfFire
I don't want R.O.B cut either. Our Wifi is gone. If he goes, we can never use him online again.

Edited by Barbie

so i just thought of something. so roy "died" during the transition to brawl, right? since death is permanent in fe unless you're a flithy casual, he's not coming back, sadly.

@dark: you could always use netplay or the other servers, so it's technically not over yet. :D

oh, and something else. i have to wonder why i'm not seeing many people reverse aerial rush wavedashes for REALLY quick ledgegrabs in competitive play...what the heck?

Edited by Comet