SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Annoyed? I thought we were all happy that FE got four reps.

Not really, no. Granted Awakening did sell well (and by well, I mean 1,000,000 copies+), but it's the only game in the series that did! Therefore, I still don't believe FE deserves more than three reps. Especially since Lucina's a Marth clone (not that I have anything against clones, but I they could have done better).

And there's nothing stopping Sakurai from adding another DK rep.

It took two games to get a second rep in Diddy, so I'm not holding my breath for another DK rep this time around.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is true. But if you ask someone who knows of FE to name two characters from the series, Marth and Ike will probably be the names they say.

Don't forget Roy. His exposure to the international scene may have been only once, but that one incidence was enough in magnitude to bring FE overseas to begin with. That, and Melee is still played by many today

Edited by The King

People are already slightly annoyed that Fire Emblem has got four reps while other more popular series like Donkey Kong only have two (for now). Fire Emblem is a very wide and diverse series and has a lot to offer in terms of moveset. And Ike isn't getting any younger. Path of Radiance will be a ten year old game next year. Marth will always have the distinctive spot as the face of Fire Emblem because he was the first lord and nothing can change that. A hip young popular lord with a giant sword could easily come along and overthrow old man Ike as the popular heavyweight swordsman.

Would rather get a hip young popular blade lord. But apparently that's too much work for Sakurai (seeing as Lyn got shafted twice), so we may be stuck with Ike for awhile.

On a side note, it is way too early to be thinking of shit like this, but would anyone approve of a 5th installment being titled Victory?

"Are Marth and Roy in this game?"

Not "Are Marth and Ike in this game?"

I'm all for loving Ike... and I admit I liked him a lot.

But damn if people keep overestimating his importance.

A lot of people got into PoR and RD, but I'd imagine more [citation needed] have their first games as one of the GBA series.

As a result, Ike is more "poster boy" in smash as an FE rep, rather than actual FE.

As a word of caution, Ana, you tend to stir up drama here with your vocal bits about characters you love.

While I am sometimes guilty of underestimating the amount of people that support Ike and his importance, you overestimate it a hell of a lot more.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Clones are like the toy inside the chocolate egg, while I don't like Lucina because she looks better than Marth-senpai I agree that a clone is there for people that would, for example, want a stronger, slower Fox and BAM Wolf appears, it is not like she took anybodies place, just because there is another rep you would want instead of her doesn't mean you need to be mad, you just need to look at her like a bonus, a bonus that makes a lot of fanboys happy, and maybe even make a person think "Why does such a series have so many reps? Maybe I should try it".

I'll never understand why people think franchises with more importance/sales = more characters.

I think Metroid is fine with just Samus *Puts up flame shield*

Don't forget Roy. His exposure to the international scene may have been only once, but that one incidence was enough in magnitude to bring FE overseas to begin with. That, and Melee is still played by many today

Except Melee is Roy's ONLY appearance out west. He won't be familiar to those who started out with Brawl or even this new game. And people that now prefer Ike over him will likely think of Ike first.

If this was still the Melee era or even the Brawl era, I might agree that Roy could come to mind first for a lot of folks as well. But Melee came out over a decade ago.

Well, this is true. But if you ask someone who knows of FE to name two characters from the series, Marth and Ike will probably be the names they say.

Actually, I'd expect most people to answer with two characters from Awakening.

Actually, I'd expect most people to answer with two characters from Awakening.

Those who have only played Awakening out of the whole series would, I agree. But I'm also including people that have played Smash or haven't touched an FE game.

I've asked a few friends of mine who only played all the current Smash games, and only 2 of them (out of, like, 7 friends) mentioned Ike. 8U Just saying people see things differently.

I just asked 4 Smasher friends that also play FE:

First said Marth and Roy

Second said Chrom and Tharja (whyyy)

Third said Marth and Chrom

Fourth said Marth and Roy

Hmm

Edited by PKL

First said Marth and Roy

Hmm

I only know Marth and Marth, oh and Marth

Huh, that's very odd.

I've met four people (outside of SF) that at least know of FE, but I know all of them would mention Ike if I asked them to name two characters from the series.

EDIT: Oh wait, there's my brother as well, who liked playing Ike in Brawl. In fact, we used to fight over him. lol

Edited by Anacybele

45% will answer characters from Awakening, 45% Marth, Roy, Ike and if they saw the reveals, Lucina and Robin, 10% will say any character from FE1-12

But at the end of the day 98% of the people you ask in a random study will most likely say "What's a Fire Emblem?"

But at the end of the day 98% of the people you ask in a random study will most likely say "What's a Fire Emblem?"

Sadly true, probably. :(

First said Marth and Roy

Hmm

B-But Tharja :(

Also, screw question because my friends don't even know about FE hahahahahaha omg, I'm such a sad man.

Oh noez btw, one of my friends is an Ike fangirl and she said Ike and Oscar (GAWDS), another friend of mine said Eirika and Ephraim because Sacred Stones was his first FE game, and the other one said Eliwood and Hector.

If you ask me, I'd say Sigurd and Deirdre what are you talking about

edit: MArth's not even there :/

Edited by Quintessence

Except Melee is Roy's ONLY appearance out west. He won't be familiar to those who started out with Brawl or even this new game. And people that now prefer Ike over him will likely think of Ike first.

If this was still the Melee era or even the Brawl era, I might agree that Roy could come to mind first for a lot of folks as well. But Melee came out over a decade ago.

Does it matter that Melee is over a decade old? It STILL hasn't died yet. Remember quality over quantity.If Ike was never in Smash, people probably wouldn't even know him, knowing Fire Emblem's reputation.

Smash Bros is a series that nearly, if not everyone knows about, and each installment made a mega impact. Ignoring even ONE of them (Especially Melee, given that it's the most acclaimed out of the current 3 that have been released) is all levels of innacurate

My friends only know about Marth and I don't think anybody remembers him until I describe him, plus only my closest friend who I play Brawl with knows him because I kick his ass with both Marth and Ike, I make it so he doesn't forgets >:).

Does it matter that Melee is over a decade old? It STILL hasn't died yet.

It does for people who have moved on from Melee. They can easily forget Roy ever existed in Smash and say "oh yeah, I forgot about Roy." I forget about him from time to time myself.