SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Uh, all three Kirby characters were starters. All three Kirby characters had major roles in the SSE. I've even seen people describe Brawl as more of a Kirby game that crossed over with a bunch of other franchises.

I can see them saying SSB Wii U/3DS is more like a Kid Icarus game crossed over with a bunch of other franchises.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've even seen people describe Brawl as more of a Kirby game that crossed over with a bunch of other franchises.

That's definitely overdoing it.

Might Kirby have gotten a little creator bias in Brawl? Sure. I don't remember the SSE too well myself, so I'll take your word for that, but all three characters being starters isn't really that big a deal. But considering that Kirby is one of Nintendo's bigger series, even if not one of their ultimates, was it really "too much"? Unlike Kid Icarus for Smash 4, which is getting represented more than Mother, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Star Fox, and Metroid, despite all of those being more popular (with the possible exception of Mother) and bigger franchises. On the other hand, Kirby pretty much fits in right alongside those.

Kid Icarus isn't getting more representation than FE. FE has twice as many reps now. But I agree on those other franchises.

I just hope that Sakurai simply has a bunch of stuff for those other franchises that he simply hasn't shown off yet.

Kid Icarus isn't getting more representation than FE. FE has twice as many reps now. But I agree on those other franchises.

I just hope that Sakurai simply has a bunch of stuff for those other franchises that he simply hasn't shown off yet.

I don't think Red Fox was referring strictly to representation in terms of playable characters, but perhaps she meant other minor additions such as items, stages, enemies in Smash Run, etc. which definately makes Kid Icarus be intensely alive in almost every corner of the game while other franchises (bigger and popular) are not receiving the same or similar treatment.

I don't think Red Fox was referring strictly to representation in terms of playable characters, but perhaps she meant other minor additions such as items, stages, enemies in Smash Run, etc. which definately makes Kid Icarus be intensely alive in almost every corner of the game while other franchises (bigger and popular) are not receiving the same or similar treatment.

Pretty much. The most easily noticeable thing is Pit being in the reveal trailer and on the cover of both versions of the game. Even Donkey Kong and Star Fox didn't get that much.

Kid Icarus simply having two reps isn't really a problem. I mean, I predicted Palutena would be in this game six years ago, so I can't say I'm shocked by her inclusion. It's just that + everything else that is a little annoying.

EDIT: NVM ITS FAKE RAGE

Shit, I went a little crazy for a second. Like, "Where the hell did this come from!?"

How'd you find this, though?

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Oh, okay. Yeah, that channel should be banned. Fooling people like this is just no.

I also realized it had to be fake because Sakurai never gives updates on a weekend (and that video was scheduled for tomorrow, a Saturday).

It was posted in my competitive scene's Facebook group so I thought I'd share and then Lucina (the user here) told me it was fake and people posted saying it was fake in the group and yep :/. Wish it was real though. They really like to toy with us when a new smash is about to come out huh?

so since Robin/Lucina were announced two months before the Jap. release and Sakurai said that we were nearing the bottom before he revealed them, when do you think the next newcomer(s) will be revealed? Maybe in a week? Two? Right before the launch?

@ Trickster: I have a feeling that we'll be getting another Smash Direct this month, which will probably reveal any remaining newcomers. I mean, SSB43DS is coming out in Japan Sept. 13, and with the way that Nintendo revealed practically everything about Mario Kart 8 in a Direct 1 month before the game's release, I have a feeling they'll be doing the same with SSB43DS (though they probably won't be going as spoiler happy for SSB43DS, due to it having a lot more content than).

Also, I don't think they'll be holding back characters just because the Wii U version will be released later. I mean, holding back characters in a fighting game (barring keeping them as secret/unlockable characters) that are on the disc/cartridge would create a lot of backlash, even if they weren't paid DLC.

I guess Samus was also male in Metroid 1.

^

Originally players were under the impression that Samus was a male, as even the instruction booklet confirmed this.

Until the ending gave it a big shocking reveal. =P

Impa has rarely had a notable role in a Zelda game though. In fact, I'd say Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time are the only ones.

I would be saying Lucina is male? The fuck? She's a girl that disguises herself as a guy. Just like Zelda. Their cases are no different, with the exception that Zelda's alter ego wasn't ever actually a real person. Sheik, to me, is the equivalent of a fictional character that Zelda created, that she created to be male.

I don't know why you people can't accept this logic, but I'm SICK of arguing it. I'm DONE.

lol
Linde has been male once in the tavern of the slave trade until...
Little kid:
I...
I no longer have a home to go back to.
Marth:
Ah... Huh?
You are a girl, but why are you wearing boys’ clothes?
Little kid:
I am bishop Miroa’s daughter, Linda.
I dressed up as a boy to escape from Garnef.

I think Ganondorf is guaranteed to come back. With his status as the main Zelda villain and a two-time Smash vet, there's no way he'd be cut.

But people are predicting a Zelda newcomer because of the trophy theory Red Fox mentioned earlier.

Hyrule Warriors Zelda would be a big spin-off of our next game. Could be DLC for her amiibo...I suppose.

It was a long post and an edit, so allow me to post again.

The Sheik gender debate is over.

No, that's not what we're trying to say Ana. If you - a female, dresses up as Bryan from your fic, that means you are still female. Just because you're dressing as a man doesn't change your gender. And if Bryan dressed up as you, he would still be male.

"Sheik" is basically a Halloween costume - you can dress up as anyone you want, but when you come home and take off the make-up and the outfit, underneath it, you'll still be you.

That's what we're trying to say, dear.

Um...that's right.
Sheik's a gurl. What about Xane? They're both from the same race. They can actually change human anatomy. How that comes to be...? Nobody knows. Other than being shapeshifters like Pwar and Oolong. (Dragonball)

But Sangyul is female. We all know that now.

Actually, this was known for sometime before that Sangie mentioned it elsewhere.

Why wait until September? Hyrule Warriors comes out next week in Japan.

26th in NA.
It is getting released before Smash. So...Hyrule Warriors spin-offs won't come to be after all.

Isn't it being made by a Japanese company? I'm pretty sure the text has be to translated and such before they send it to English-speaking countries.

It's like this with almost every game, actually. Almost all of them are developed by Japan.

Translations for games like this happen during development, not after.

Oh...right...
You would know. Since your actually a game developer.
Example
7:03
Having to put in English for Philamon wasn't intended to be for a quest that couldn't be accessed without a Gameshark. This wasn't intended to be seen since the developers didn't finish with this unfinished project that we can view with cheats. ^_^

Yes, but it's not like, "Well they need to translate the entire finished game."

It also depends on the game. Stuff like Zelda and Pokemon are going to be faster because they're big properties. Something like Fire Emblem isn't such a big property, so localization on Awakening probably wasn't being worked on during development of the game.

It never was until Awakening changed everything.

Sheik's also not a complete clone of Zelda, so it may be two Zeldas, but it's two completely original Zeldas. and that's a hell of a lot better than Lucina/Marth.

Sheik could be of Zelda's lineage of long before that Zelda the 3rd was born.
She could have existed for hundreds of years before Zelda the 3rd.

Ocarina is more known than Skyward Sword I would think since Ocarina was on like 3 different consoles, but popularity shouldn't matter as much as unique playstyles. And you can tell Nintendo favors playability over popularity from Roy getting in over Leif, Robin over Chrom, Ice Climbers just period.

Sheik's gender is confusing and I don't even want to get into it because that's a long topic that detracts far away from anything having to do with Smash Bros, so I'm just gonna go with whatever Nintendo said.

Do you think Punch-Out is gonna get a new assist now that Little Mac is playable? Maybe Doc Louis?

I hope so... :D
He loves his chocolate bars. What's there not to like about him...?

DOC LOUIS IN HIS LEOPARD-PRINT SUIT PLS.

I would pay Nintendo personally for that.

That would be nice. :D
11632997m.jpg
Tee hee...
Tropical Louis.

Should totally be Vodka Drunkenski Soda Popinski...

That is too drunk to even do a KO finisher. x.x
Only boxer to not have a special KO move. -.-

Vodka was hidden for younger audiences.

Nintendo sure is promoting the game pretty early for the 3DS version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ePqAF4JlWY

Edit:

Also really early update

Ft3OIqF.png

So you can buy with the Smash Coins you earned in the game or use Play Coins from your 3DS.

cq3q1O.jpg
Nice to show upon what he reacts upon his defeat to each and every Mega Man game.
It'll pay off especially upon only seeing the Diskun trophy with a cheat device (SSBM).
This certainly will help the younger/less experienced audiences.

Fire Emblem has a long history that is pretty much completely obscured from the western audience. We didn't get any Fire Emblem trophies in Melee at all except for Marth and Roy from what I can remember. We really need to see things from Gaiden, Holy War and Thracia. It's a big, long lasting series and if that's highlighted then I think a lot more people would have interest in it (plus there's five full games already made that they could release in some form. I know it's not likely but I'm always holding out hope for those remakes, or even less likely Virtual Console releases).

Not anymore. With Awakening boosting the series' popularity and also introducing westerners to Japan-only characters thanks to DLC, there's not so much obscurity anymore.

Just because Nintendo thought that we couldn't handle the difficulty. D:

It's because of this is why that the series isn't as loved as Pokemon and Mario. ...And that Japan had to suffer from having only Marth and Roy in their smash bros copies....too.

P66RsvP.jpg

Gameboy stage? Huh, that's certainly something.

Mr.Game and watch had a stage like that in Melee.

Gald to see that were getting some old school...too.

Oh yeah, that is neat! I never had an original Gameboy, but my step brothers did and I used to watch them play it.

I was just saying that Sakurai needed to represent more of the old Nintendo stuff and he seems to be doing that!

You're awesome, Sakurai. ^^

av276.jpg
*Giggle*
It'll give a chance for those who were born far after us to see some of these old times that us middle aged people have had.

Yeah...
Like Mother. D:
Edited by Bimbo

Sadly, since we got a Direct for Hyrule Warriors instead this month, I don't think there will be another featuring Smash. Nintendo only ever does one Direct each month they have one. I would say it's possible to see one in September, but with the Japanese release being the 13th, they might as well just wait for release at that point.

So yeah, I think Sakurai is just going to gradually show us the remaining newcomer videos in the way he did Robin and Lucina's.

Edited by Anacybele

Sadly, since we got a Direct for Hyrule Warriors instead this month, I don't think there will be another featuring Smash. Nintendo only ever does one Direct each month they have one. I would say it's possible to see one in September, but with the Japanese release being the 13th, they might as well just wait for release at that point.

So yeah, I think Sakurai is just going to gradually show us the remaining newcomer videos in the way he did Robin and Lucina's.

That's just general Nintendo Directs, ones about loads of games. April had Smash, Mario Kart and Tomodachi Life directs, and last September had Pokémon and WiiFit directs, so we'll probably see at least one more direct this month.

That's just general Nintendo Directs, ones about loads of games. April had Smash, Mario Kart and Tomodachi Life directs, and last September had Pokémon and WiiFit directs, so we'll probably see at least one more direct this month.

Oh, I hadn't known that. I thought the Smash Direct had been the only one for April. My bad. xP