SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

What does mewtwo look like, probably a cat type Pokémon.

He, wait... wha? You don't know what Mewtwo looks like? That's surprising.

EDIT:

250px-150Mewtwo.png

If I were to describe him he looks like the offspring of Frieza and some sort of feline creature that some how got the fingers of a frog.

Edited by Knight

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So because some of it is free (Spotpass), it should all be free? Why?

My thoughts lie more in "Hey IS, why did you make A B and C free, but not the nearly identical D?" Justification would go a long way, in this case. The plethora of spotpass characters (including a new and out-of-the-blue Priam) are free but only about a dozen of other random characters like Micaiah and Est aren't.

In other cases, games like Professor Layton and the (Diabolical Box, among others) had DLC sprinkled in added free once-per-week challenges. All free.

I'm just not sure of the why, and that's probably what piques my interest moreso.

Let me ask: When playing Awakening or Smash Bros. 3DS, do you feel like you got a complete game? If the answer is yes (and my own answer would be yes), then by what logic are you entitled to more content in that same game free of charge? Nintendo could just not do any DLC, and then the game would be exactly as it was at launch, or they could make some more stuff and ask for a small price (or in some cases, and by their own good graces, no price at all) and you could get it if you wanted or leave it if you don't.

And if your answer was "no," well...I wholly disagree with that thought in this context, but at least the logic lines up.

When playing awakening, I feel like I did not get a complete game (FMPOV, much is left unanswered when you have characters with seemingly incomplete support pools, in particular Say'ri, Tiki, Flavia and Basilio, not to mention the various Spotpass freebies that can marry Avatar but like Yen'Fay and Emmeryn, cannot even talk to their own sisters) An opportunity came in Future Past to elaborate on the plot of children and explain more of the future that molded the children into who they are, and even cover more on Grima) Sure, I can play from Prologue-Final and feel like I accomplished something, but I can also slice a sandwich in half, eat it, and want the other half.

When playing Smash Bros 3DS, I feel like I got a pretty complete game. I didn't know what was capable of Nintendo in terms of including Map/Character DLC, so I didn't think too much of it. Now that I see that at least one character can be confirmed by the makers themselves to be released in the form of DLC, I ponder as to why they would release a second version of the game without it. I would've not felt this way about Smash had Mewtwo been announced around early Spring, post release.

If you want to pay to get yourself to lv 90, okay. That's the kind of DLC I don't like for reasons I've explained, but if you're okay with it, that's fine. But that makes it even less understandable how you can think that new content made from scratch should be free.

When I say I'm OK with it, I am more under an impression of "I see why [X] company is marketing their game with DLC and selling EXP Potions and other quick-progress items". It's become mainstream in society to promote instant gratification with minor monetary investment. I don't think it's the right thing to do, BUT I understand why gaming companies do it.

If it were up to me, I'd scratch the quick levelup goodiebags in general, but I'm not in the industry. I grew up with the biggest blessing of DLC equating to buying the expansion pack for N64 to play full Perfect Dark, or having Nintendo Power come to my door to help me beat the challenging levels of TLoZ. The Protips helped me complete the game faster and I guess could be argued as giving me an unfair advantage over people doing it themselves, but I was a child of fortune and could afford the magazine subscription with allowance earned. Perhaps my view is skewed because I consider that advantage to be fairly similar to that which we see today in purchasable DLC.

Edited by Sara.

He, wait... wha? You don't know what Mewtwo looks like? That's surprising.

EDIT:

250px-150Mewtwo.png

If I were to describe him he looks like the offspring of Frieza and some sort of feline creature that some how got the fingers of a frog.

Yeah..I don't really like Pokémon so I don't know really know any of them, the only exception to this is, is that I sometimes watch the anime of it.

His forward smash's 1st hit has less knockback and a lower angle that makes landing the 2nd, stronger hit more consistent. It's kind of a nerf/buff. Ledge tethering has also been tweaked and now there's a new tech that allows tether characters like Link to get back up on ledge with almost no lag when performed right.

Not super consistent but useful when performed correctly. Any other changes were unconfirmed so overall I think Link is slightly worse off, but not as much as Toon Link and Peach.

I'd say the first Side-Smash slash having less knockback is better anyway, because the 2nd slash would still miss quite often, and the tipper of the first slash is still a kill move at least, even though I'd much rather use the side-tilt since it's a reliable kill move and much faster as well, along with up-tilt.

the quick tether hop seems nice though; i'll practice it more.

I know I said in the past that I didn't want to bring up the subject of Sheik's gender again...

But I just got the Ocarina of Time Adult Zelda trophy. And it says Sheik is a man. I'm not saying he can't be called a woman since he's really Zelda in disguise, but this, imo, is proof that he can also be called a man. Therefore, he's technically both.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah..I don't really like Pokémon so I don't know really know any of them, the only exception to this is, is that I sometimes watch the anime of it.

Yeah, guess that makes sense. To give you a short detail, he's a one of kind Pokemon that was genetically engineered to be the strongest Pokemon, it's implied that it made him become a murderous killing machine. (Or in the anime's case, he is a murderous killing machine)

Edited by Knight

My thoughts lie more in "Hey IS, why did you make A B and C free, but not the nearly identical D?" Justification would go a long way, in this case. The plethora of spotpass characters (including a new and out-of-the-blue Priam) are free but only about a dozen of other random characters like Micaiah and Est aren't.

"You gave me this, why didn't you give me more?"

In other cases, games like Professor Layton and the (Diabolical Box, among others) had DLC sprinkled in added free once-per-week challenges. All free.

So exactly what they did with Awakening. And then they offered paid DLC.

I'm just not sure of the why, and that's probably what piques my interest moreso.

Who knows? Maybe the Spotpass stuff they meant to include in the game for launch but didn't finish in time, so they released it for free later, and the paid DLC is stuff that only came after the fact.

When playing awakening, I feel like I did not get a complete game (FMPOV, much is left unanswered when you have characters with seemingly incomplete support pools, in particular Say'ri, Tiki, Flavia and Basilio, not to mention the various Spotpass freebies that can marry Avatar but like Yen'Fay and Emmeryn, cannot even talk to their own sisters) An opportunity came in Future Past to elaborate on the plot of children and explain more of the future that molded the children into who they are, and even cover more on Grima) Sure, I can play from Prologue-Final and feel like I accomplished something, but I can also slice a sandwich in half, eat it, and want the other half.

When playing Smash Bros 3DS, I feel like I got a pretty complete game. I didn't know what was capable of Nintendo in terms of including Map/Character DLC, so I didn't think too much of it. Now that I see that at least one character can be confirmed by the makers themselves to be released in the form of DLC, I ponder as to why they would release a second version of the game without it. I would've not felt this way about Smash had Mewtwo been announced around early Spring, post release.

Well, I'm not going to argue the completeness of Awakening here, but since the concerns you have are things that weren't even added in DLC, I think it was just meant to be that way, for whatever reason. Comparing launch-Awakening to half a sandwich is really not good, though; the DLC was far from being the other half of a full game. Like, even if you think Future Past should have been in the main game, that would be more like 10%. That's like eating a sandwich without the crust when you actually wanted the crust. This comparison is going a little too far, isn't it?

I'm a little confused as to what you're saying with regards to Mewtwo here. Are you saying Mewtwo should be included in the Wii U version at launch? And why would Mewtwo being announced much earlier change anything (assuming acquisition would remain the same)?

When I say I'm OK with it, I am more under an impression of "I see why [X] company is marketing their game with DLC and selling EXP Potions and other quick-progress items". It's become mainstream in society to promote instant gratification with minor monetary investment. I don't think it's the right thing to do, BUT I understand why gaming companies do it.

That's very different from what it sounded like at first and I have nothing against it.

I know I said in the past that I didn't want to bring up the subject of Sheik's gender again...

But I just got the Ocarina of Time Adult Zelda trophy. And it says Sheik is a man. I'm not saying he can't be called a woman since he's really Zelda in disguise, but this, imo, is proof that he can also be called a man. Therefore, he's technically both.

"...she takes on the guise of a young man named Sheik."

This is not new information. A woman disguising herself as a man does not make her a man.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

"...she takes on the guise of a young man named Sheik."

This is not new information. A woman disguising herself as a man does not make her a man.

It still says that the disguise itself is a man. That's all I have to say here.

Most of those "DLC" were already in the game cartridge. The only reason you need to connect online was just to unlock them. It basically just overwrites your save file.

Edited by kingddd

It still says that the disguise itself is a man. That's all I have to say here.

Was Lucina a man when she disguised herself as Marth? Marth was/is a man, after all.

If you're not going to follow up, you shouldn't have said anything in the first place.

I will try and like Pokémon more, which actually seems impossible to actually like...

My advice to you is to try Pokemon via emulation on your computer. You can download a Game Boy Advance emulator and look for copies of the game online (ROMs) (emulation is illegal but everyone does it anyway so who cares). I would advise playing Pokemon Emerald using this method.

Alternatively, assuming the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire are available to download for free from the 3DS shop (I haven't checked), you can give those a try and see how you feel about them.

If it were up to me, I'd scratch the quick levelup goodiebags in general, but I'm not in the industry. I grew up with the biggest blessing of DLC equating to buying the expansion pack for N64 to play full Perfect Dark, or having Nintendo Power come to my door to help me beat the challenging levels of TLoZ. The Protips helped me complete the game faster and I guess could be argued as giving me an unfair advantage over people doing it themselves, but I was a child of fortune and could afford the magazine subscription with allowance earned. Perhaps my view is skewed because I consider that advantage to be fairly similar to that which we see today in purchasable DLC.

Mewtwo was announced when the Wii U game was already gold and sent off to manufacturing. And he's not even close to complete, he won't be done until Spring of next year. All we got was a preview of his model, the least time-consuming part of creating a character. We already know Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario are last minute characters and even Lucina and Dark Pit were still announced months before the 3DS version. That's just how long it takes to get a character through QA.

What makes certain things worthy of DLC and freebies? It can be totally arbitrary. Although in FE, the DLC had outside-of-story maps to differentiate themselves from Spotpass and more writing. The free Spotpass side chapters were clearly planned before release and were on the cart, but the DLC maps and script were not. That said, I think FE represents weaker DLC offerings but it was their very first foray into the service. With Mario Kart 8, Nintendo has shown that they can use DLC to try out new things that thematically didn't fit into the original game, and also bring in old players back to the game with extensive amounts of fresh content. And with releases months after the base game, which already had as much content as its predecessors, it's also obvious to the consumer that this wasn't just a bunch of cut material saved to nickle and dime players later. It's way more impressive than a "get a bunch of gear" DLC that takes no effort on the part of the developer and starts cheating people out of gameplay. This is what DLC SHOULD be, an expansion that gives you value in the future for games you already bought. World of Warcraft has expansions every so often so the game won't get stale. I think a lot of people are happy to see Mario Kart and Smash Bros get the same treatment, so long as it doesn't lead to a future of on-disc locked content that you must pay for.

As far as Sheik is concerned, yes, he is considered a man in OoT. The art even depicts Sheik with a completely different build from Zelda. However, Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors Sheik is female and you can see her body type is not the same as in OoT. It might be argued that maybe Melee Sheik is still considered male, but from Brawl onward Sheik is considered to be a woman (different Zelda, different Sheik).

Was Lucina a man when she disguised herself as Marth? Marth was/is a man, after all.

If you're not going to follow up, you shouldn't have said anything in the first place.

No, but as you said, she disguised herself as a man. So did Zelda. That's all I'm saying.

A follow up article about DLC, specifically Mewtwo: http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-why-mewtwo-isnt-paid-dlc-in-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/

Essentially, Mewtwo is a test to see interest in distributing bonus content.

The first article makes me think though that Mewtwo won't be available at all if you don't have both games.

Interesting. And it does actually sound like a Sakurai thing to do.

Also, Shulk isn't the only Amiibo that's exclusive somewhere. Another article here says the Meta Knight Amiibo is exclusive to Best Buy. I hope Ike isn't exclusive to Target or something, the Target here is all the way across town. >_<

UeSUhg.jpg

wX6Uhv.jpg

I don't know what to say...

But...nightmare is over for my Eng cart. Time to finish up my Jap one. :D

To get the remaining few hats that people have trouble with...the Target game! This last hat was found there! Took a day and a half to find the last one!

Edited by PuffPuff

No, but as you said, she disguised herself as a man. So did Zelda. That's all I'm saying.

So Sheik tries to pass off as a man to other characters in the game, but we (the players) know that deep down Sheik is a woman.

Sheik is female. Glad we finally agree on this.

So Sheik tries to pass off as a man to other characters in the game, but we (the players) know that deep down Sheik is a woman.

Sheik is female. Glad we finally agree on this.

That's actually the truth since it clearly says that in her trophy.

She is female. Play Hyrule Warriors. Sheik is certainly no man.

Uh. Sorry, but I honestly didn't have a clue what you just said here.

But it seems that I'm still not getting any points across here, so I'm just going to never say anything on this topic again.

So perhaps the most important thing the match did was remove vectoring and replaced it with normal directional influence.

You can no longer hold down while flying to extend your survivability.

http://smashboards.com/threads/dawn-of-a-new-day-vectoring-removed-in-patch-1-0-4.378709/

Smash Bros for Wii Competitive Viability was just given a Rare Candy

So perhaps the most important thing the match did was remove vectoring and replaced it with normal directional influence.

You can no longer hold down while flying to extend your survivability.

http://smashboards.com/threads/dawn-of-a-new-day-vectoring-removed-in-patch-1-0-4.378709/

Smash Bros for Wii Competitive Viability was just given a Rare Candy

No more Vectors eh? Quite glad to hear that

Vectoring is gone? Wow, that's quite the game changer.

Uh. Sorry, but I honestly didn't have a clue what you just said here.

Seriously, Ana? What I said was pretty clear.

I'm not repeating myself because I honestly can't explain it any better and I'm sure everyone else got my point.

So I've downloaded the latest patch for the 3DS version, and to be quite honest, I can't tell the difference between the pre- and post-patched versions of the game.

Yeah...

Edited by NinjaMonkey

So I've downloaded the latest patch for the 3DS version, and to be quite honest, I can't tell the difference between the pre- and post-patched versions of the game.

Yeah...

Some characters were barely changed, but a few of them were drastically changed. Unless you never played Ike pre-patch, even a baby can tell that he feels very different now.