SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So to cap this off for now. What does everyone think of this game so far?

Its looking really solid and the characters and stages selected just keep pumping me up. Not to even mention Sonic's already confirmed return

We still don't know how the single player modes will be other then the lack of an epic adventure mode, we still don't know what the 3DS transfers to the Wii U versions.

Keep an eye out for games that feature possible newcomers and veterans even if the release date theory has been broken.

I've been wondering myself how the game modes would be and for some time have been secretly wishing of a mode where you fight on a 3D playing field. Not sure how that would work in regards to controls, but its just me and my wishful thinking

I've been wondering myself how the game modes would be and for some time have been secretly wishing of a mode where you fight on a 3D playing field. Not sure how that would work in regards to controls, but its just me and my wishful thinking

Who knows we could see a Smash Brothers "Tenakchi" some day. A cousin of mine also worded an interest in such a thing

The game looks really great so far, and I'm pleased that Toon Link is returning and that Rosalina has joined the roster. But I want Ike back too still. Sakurai, please keep him! D:

I... sorry to... horrifically derail the topic with this, but I actually want to know everyone's opinion on the more hectic stages vs. the simpler ones. I mean, maybe I'm surrounded by a bunch of competitive players, but it feels like not very many people enjoy or even LIKE the more hectic stages...

I'm mixed on this.

Its mostly the claw that gets me. But Its usually because I am not paying attention lol

Huh. That claw is rather fast to attack, though, and it's hard to tell who it is targeting.

I've got quite a lot of questions on my mind regarding SSB4 (though I'm well aware that the questions can't all be answered right now and we need to be patient). What's Sakurai planning to do regarding the playable characters for Fire Emblem and Pokemon? (will he be keeping Lucario and Ike without adding any new FE or Pokemon reps from now on, will he be updating the roster with more recent FE and Pokemon reps while cutting the older ones, or will he keep all FE and Pokemon reps and keep adding newer FE and Pokemon reps with each new Smash Bros? Each of those three options are both reasonable and unreasonable in their own ways) When was the date cutoff in terms of current game series' representation? (I mean, they showed that 6th Gen Pokemon will appear in SSB4 and Sonic Lost World would be getting a stage which makes Pokemon and Sonic really up to date, but they probably won't have a Super Mario 3D World level or anything from that game. So does that mean that anything from November 2013 and onward won't be represented in Smash Bros?) And as Jedi and a lot of people are wondering as well, what new things is Sakurai planning to implement regarding new game modes, Wii U/3DS connectivity, and expanding the game in new ways other than characters/stages.

I'm interested in seeing what your guys' 3 biggest questions are regarding SSB4 (aside from blatantly asking what's the whole character/stage roster and other blatant spoilers like that, as well as things that'll be subjective between people since answers will always differ among different people).

We still don't know how the single player modes will be other then the lack of an epic adventure mode, we still don't know what the 3DS transfers to the Wii U versions.

Keep an eye out for games that feature possible newcomers and veterans even if the release date theory has been broken.

I've been happy about most of the things that were revealed. I'm especially glad to see that (former?) secret characters like Luigi and Marth won't be shafted in terms of the spotlight they get in trailers, screenshots, and such (since in previous games they didn't get a lot of spotlight in order to keep their secret character status a secret). I'm also glad that they've revealed a SSB4 newcomer that answers my question of "which of the

SSB4 newcomers will I main?" (Rosalina) I remember that being a big issue for Brawl, switching from Meta Knight to Pit to King Dedede to Lucario (once he was leaked) before finally settling on R.O.B.

I'm also really curious about what new single player/co-op modes will be implemented in SSB4 (I spent a good amount of time on the co-op modes in Brawl with my siblings, and Sakurai emphasized that the Wii U Smash Bros. will focus more on co-op gameplay than the previous games). I'm also suprised about how little we've heard about the Wii U/3DS connectivity. Hopefully Sakurai will reveal some more details about it at/before E3 2014.

The only upcoming new games I can think of that would tie in with a character reveal is Diddy Kong for Tropical Freeze, Yoshi for Yoshi's New Island, and maybe Wario for Mario Kart 8.

Also, I thought I should link to this recently posted article by Sakurai:

“Now that Sunday’s day off is past, I’m currently working on the character adjustment for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. At the moment, Bowser is very strong. He’s really strong. Fans of Smash Bros. probably never saw him as too much of a strong character, but this time, his ability to knock others out is very strong!”

- Bowser’s Smash attacks, special attacks, and aerial attacks now have the ability to send opponents flying through the air
- Sakurai and the team are working on balancing characters so things aren't unfair

“Doing things like simply ‘lowering the performance’ can make games lose its fun. Additionally, making a strong attack weaker can take away from the ‘good feeling’. By making adjustments that get rid of all advantages and disadvantages, it can turn a game into a mediocre one without any challenge.”

- Sakurai compares this work as being similar to what goes on in RPG creation

“Rather than directly weakening an attack’s advantageous parts, we’re putting effort into keeping them strong, while adding other weaknesses to them. Like giving the attacks punishable openings, or weakening the character’s mobility or recovery rate. We’re making comprehensive adjustments to characters, even for parts that might seem completely irrelevant.”

- due to the differences in gameplay, some attacks like Captain Falcon’s “Falcon Punch” might work well when there’s more players, but might not ever hit during a 1-on-1 fight

“The game balance of Super Smash Bros. Brawl started six years before its release, and it most likely goes back even further during its time of development, and it’s never been reformed even through the updates afterwards. We’re at a stage where we’d like to release the new title as soon as possible, and offer something more enjoyable than ever.”
Edited by Randoman

Sakurai's New Years Resolution is to have the game completed in 2014!

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/12/30/sakurai-vows-to-get-super-smash-bros-3ds-wii-u-completed-in-2014/

Well that's a good sign.

I wonder, will Link update his move set to Skyward Sword or use the same one from Brawl?

With his design still being that of Twilight Princess and the fact that his move set has pretty much been the same since 64 I doubt it highly unless its the skyward strike/sword laser

So far so good. The game's advancing at a nice pace, showing chars/stages/etc., although I miss how every day/week (don't remember now) I was curious about going to the smash page and see a new character there! The brawl experience was really exciting, I hope this one gets better :b.

Now, I wonder if Final Smash is coming again? I hope so.

Also, I want Miccy as a playable char! Or Shulk/Fiora/Melia/Zael/Calista. Yes plz.

So far so good. The game's advancing at a nice pace, showing chars/stages/etc., although I miss how every day/week (don't remember now) I was curious about going to the smash page and see a new character there! The brawl experience was really exciting, I hope this one gets better :b.

Now, I wonder if Final Smash is coming again? I hope so.

Also, I want Miccy as a playable char! Or Shulk/Fiora/Melia/Zael/Calista. Yes plz.

Final smashes were confirmed in the first trailer by Samus and later in Sakurais showing of the Wii Fit Trainers move set

The only question I'd have for that is what would it replace?

Most likely the Boomerang because we still haven't seen it as far as I know

The only question I'd have for that is what would it replace?

Boomerang, since Skyward Sword Link doesn't have one and the Gale Boomerang was a TP thing only. It would also differentiate him from Toon Link a bit more because he DOES always have a boomerang.

Boomerang, since Skyward Sword Link doesn't have one and the Gale Boomerang was a TP thing only. It would also differentiate him from Toon Link a bit more because he DOES always have a boomerang.

But this isn't Skyward Sword Link.

I'd rather boomerang not be replaced. IMO Skyward Strike could make a good Final Smash.

I'd rather boomerang not be replaced. IMO Skyward Strike could make a good Final Smash.

its feels like an amalgamation Link to me.

I would be in favor of replacing the boomerang, as I don't really like the Gale Boomerang.

But I think link will keep the boomerang. If he did get a quick skyward strike, that might help him in tiers or what not.

its feels like an amalgamation Link to me.

I would be in favor of replacing the boomerang, as I don't really like the Gale Boomerang.

But I think link will keep the boomerang. If he did get a quick skyward strike, that might help him in tiers or what not.

All Link needs to be higher tier is for his attack properties to be better. Look at Project M Link for the example of that

So? He still got Skyloft as a stage. I don't see why he can't have an SS based move.

Also, it isn't quite TP Link either, he has a few differences.

Edited by Anacybele

Why can't things be changed just because they're established? If they find something which suits Link and the balance of the game better then I'd much rather they get rid of it.

I'd rather the boomerang come back (har har) if it was back to 64's and Melee's use. The skyward strike could be a cool power distance move though