SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

If it were up to me, I wouldn't cut anyone either, for the sake of not disappointing any fans. But I'm just saying that I hate when people say Ike will be cut because Roy was.

Also, for all we know, Sakurai might have made Ike default so he could make sure that next time, we wouldn't end up with another Roy situation, as the default characters surely have priority over the unlockable ones.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. I don't want to cause any arguments or anything. I just got a little irritated there. I'll also admit that even though I hate the idea of Ike being cut, I hate the idea of him being cut and then replaced with Chrom or Lucina even more.

I wish we'd just get Ike back and the new fe character out of the way so we can stop this pointless arguing that keeps cropping up.

for the last time Roy was not replaced by Ike but merely Ike had more priority at the time of production

Subspace and the last minute addition of Sonic are contributing factors to the cuts along with the idiotic addition of masterpiece demos

For the record, Heroking was correct, I did not say Ike WAS going to be taken out, I just don't know that he won't be. Personally, I always enjoyed Ike both in terms of playstyle and for his character, so I'd be quite happy to see him return.

It'd also be neat if Mewtwo came back, given the business with MegaMewtwo in Pokemon XY.

Ike also has the unique playstyle factor that Sakurai likes. In fact, Ike is the only heavyweight sword wielder right now, which I've told people like a dozen times on the internet. xP

Link and Toon Link? They're both fairly heavy (though Link's recovery sux, but so does Ike's). I'm somewhat tired of people saying "character's playstyle will be unique." I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for Sakurai to make a character have a unique style if he wanted to. Heck, look at what Project M did to Roy. They changed him from up close and personal inferior Marth clone to something...well, different. Project M may not the best example, but I hope it gives off the message well enough.

Edited by Comet

Link and Toon Link? They're both fairly heavy (though Link's recovery sux, but so does Ike's). I'm somewhat tired of people saying "character's playstyle will be unique." I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for Sakurai to make a character have a unique style if he wanted to. Heck, look at what Project M did to Roy. They changed him from up close and personal inferior Marth clone to something...well, different. Project M may not the best example, but I hope it gives off the message well enough.

I think Sakurai's doing a great job creating unique fighting styles, Rosalina and Villager look great and nothing we've seen before, Megaman and Little Mac are also unique with some aspects of their moveset. The only one out of the newcomers that we've yet to see offer any innovation to their gameplay is Wii Fit Trainer, who for all we know might have something that defines her from other characters in Smash Bros and other fighting games. At least compared to Smash Bros 64/Melee, the newcomers are a lot more innovative.

Pic of the Day:

daily.jpg

Miiverse hasn't updated for me with the pic and comment. Only the offical site is updated for me.

I find it interesting you say Leifs design would make him stick out more considering that's why Sakurai decided Roy over Leif in the first place

Well, lord designs generally have a lot of blue (or some colour close to blue), whether it's on their outfit or its their hair. Leif is one of the few lords/FE leads that don't have blue hair or have any blue on their outfit whatsoever (unless you count the lavender-ish sleeves). I guess "no blue" wouldn't really justify a lord design as being unique to most people, but to me it does, especially seeing how over 75% of the lords have blue on them.

Wouldn't Dillion be a little too similar to Sonic in that aspect? From what I know of Sakurai right now he is asking.

"What can x character do that no other smash characters can do"

Yeah, Dillon's abilities have some crossover with characters that are already in Smash like Sonic's rolling attacks and Wolf's claw fighting style. Though what would really set him apart from the rest of the cast is the genre his game is: tower defence.

In his game, when he attacks enemies or parts of the environment like rocks or plants, he gets resources which can be used to create turrets to help fight off enemies. Sakurai could implement a mechanic in his fighting style where he'd get resources for attacking opponents where claw swipes would be easier to attack with but provide less resources while rolling attacks would be harder to attack with but would be more rewarding resource wise. just like his original games. After amassing enough resources, he could create a turret with one of his special moves that would attack enemies for him and provide stage control. Of course, Dillon's opponents can attack and destroy them (since it'd be too cheap otherwise, and to keep things balanced they'd probably be quite frail), so Dillon would have to protect them and play strategically to make the most use of the turrets.

...I'll admit, Dillon's chances of being playable (or an Assist Trophy or even a regular Trophy) are rather slim, given his obscurity and him being an eShop only character. Still, one can dream, can't he? Plus, he's a really cool looking character:

dillons-rolling-western.jpg

Just because Roy was left out doesn't mean Ike will be. I'm honestly sick of people saying "Ike replaced Roy lolz, so Chrom/Lucina will replace Ike!"

There is NO pattern here, an FE character was cut only ONCE. And only because of time constraints.

Agreed. Especially considering that Lucario proved that the pattern didn't hold true for Pokemon when he was confirmed for SSB4.

I don't think Dillon's having some redundant or crossing-over moves would affect his playability. Many Brawl Sonic's non-special moves were almost all taken from other characters (F-air from Falco, B-air from DK, D-air from Shiek, etc. etc.) perhaps owing to how late in the game he was added, and we should have faith by now that Sakurai can make anyone unique moveset-wise. Love him or hate him, designing moves for SSB characters is something he undeniably excels at (at least on a noncompetitive level, but that's why he's getting extra input on this game).

Honestly I think his obscurity will be more of a hurdle for him than anything else.

I meant in terms of official weight classes. Link is classified as middleweight while Toon Link is lightweight, as are Marth and Meta Knight. Pit is middleweight. Ike is the only sword wielder that's actually classified as heavyweight.

I don't think Dillon's having some redundant or crossing-over moves would affect his playability. Many Brawl Sonic's non-special moves were almost all taken from other characters (F-air from Falco, B-air from DK, D-air from Shiek, etc. etc.) perhaps owing to how late in the game he was added, and we should have faith by now that Sakurai can make anyone unique moveset-wise. Love him or hate him, designing moves for SSB characters is something he undeniably excels at (at least on a noncompetitive level, but that's why he's getting extra input on this game).

Honestly I think his obscurity will be more of a hurdle for him than anything else.

Down air is actually from Sonic Battle and the majority of his non special moves are from the obscure Sonic the Fighters actually.

Down air is actually from Sonic Battle and the majority of his non special moves are from the obscure Sonic the Fighters actually.

A minor technicality. The point is that it was similar to Shiek's on a programming level, since Sonic was such a late addition to Brawl.

True and I was hoping since he was in so much earlier this to.e his move set would be more.

Sonic adventure, Battle, 3&K shields, maybe the boost, a tornado ability or two or just a wisp. But nope ;/

So... On a different note, what are y'all's thoughts on DLC for this game? There are those rumors circulating that it might have it.

Personally, I'd rather not see character DLC at all, and not stage DLC unless it's something that's both a) really unique and fun, and b) not very competitively viable, so people who can't afford/don't want to buy DLC don't need to do so for tourneys. What I WOULD like to see is cosmetic stuff, like alternate character costumes a la Biker Wario and Doctor Mario (which should have been a wario-esque costume in Brawl IMO). Think about it; alternative character appearances like Fusion Suit Samus, retro/classic/ALttP Link, Lucina/masked Marth (as a costume for Marth if Lucina herself isn't playable), alternate Villagers, Pikmin 3 characters... The possibilities are out there. Personally I'd love to see something like that, heh.

EDIT: Oh, mentioning Marth reminds me-- I kind of hope Marth will have some English voicework this time around, seeing as Shadow Dragon was finally localized for western audiences.

Edited by BANRYU

Sakurai has stated that there are currently no plans for DLC, though that could change, especially considering that we already know that this guy has been known to change his mind.

I'd prefer music DLC and stage DLC, MAYBE characters. If it were to happen at all.

I also hope Marth gets an English voice at last. I mean, I'd like to, you know, actually be able to understand what he's saying.

Edited by Anacybele

I'd become upset if Marth was given an English voice. 8U Upset enough to import a Japanese Wii U, I overreact like that. The only one who can do Marth justice is Hikaru Midorikawa.

>English Marth

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NO NO NO NONONONONO FUCK

NEVER.

Not even if there's dual audio. D:<

...I would also be disappointed/angry/sad if Sheik isn't included in the roster. Seriously, where is Sheik? ;-;

Zelda being in pretty much confirms Sheik...as for Marth, I wouldnt mind English voice for my main but it'd have to be voiced by someone good or RIOT.

DLC? HELL NO. DLC in a fighting game is stupid imo. Wii U games cost $60 anyway.

For Marth, if he does get an english voice, it better be good.

Uh, what's so wrong with Marth getting an English voice, especially if you're given the option to have him speak Japanese instead? I'm tired of not being able to understand what he says, and because of this, I can't take him as seriously as I want to. He's one of my secondaries, and when I play as him and use his taunts, I don't really know what I'm doing because I don't know what he's saying.

If Marth is given an English voice, but you have the option to use his Japanese one instead, I see no reason why people should complain.