SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I'd rather Advanced Wars get a character ^^

Snake will most likely return and someone from Namco is a possibility be it Pac-Man a Tales or Soul Calibur person.

For Pokeballs I'd like to see Mismagius, and Blazkien (if my hope for him being playable isn't going anywhere :P)

For Assists I'd like to see Shadow back but with chaos spears after his chaos control and of course Protoman with a remixed version of his whistle.

Edited by Jedisupersorry

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I read somewhere that Jason had no other experience and was like an amateur/minor-league baseball player or something? But nope, looking it up, he does indeed look like an actor's actor. Huh

Still would have preferred Kirby Morrow, though. That isn't to say I'm not fine with Atkins, though.

I kinda wondered about that to Marth getting a new English voice actor for this game and plus, I did heard that Red is now voiced by Bryce Papenbrook (the same voice actor did Henry from Awakening and Flynn from Shin Megami Tensei 4) in Pokemon Origins and I kinda wondered if he might voice the Pokemon Trainer in this game.

OMG YES.

... I - I mean, that would be fantastic. Thumbs up.

I'd rather Advanced Wars get a character ^^

Snake will most likely return and someone from Namco is a possibility be it Pac-Man a Tales or Soul Calibur person.

For Pokeballs I'd like to see Mismagius, and Blazkien (if my hope for him being playable isn't going anywhere :P)

For Assists I'd like to see Shadow back but with chaos spears after his chaos control and of course Protoman with a remixed version of his whistle.

I hope Snake returns!

Shadow using Chaos spears would be cool~

First of all, Pacman will NOT be in this game, I'll go ahead and call that right now, and I have no problem betting anything and everything on that-- because he's first and foremost an arcade character. 3rd party characters only have a shot at getting in if 1) they're primarily console characters, and 2) they have some significance to Nintendo's history (this is why Megaman was such an obvious choice to get in). ((also if you're Hideo Kojima and you beg Sakurai to put your character in lol))

It's really silly that people think Pacman even has a shot of getting in, even if Bandai/Namco IS codeveloping.

A better Advance Wars AT sounds pretty good to me. I don't have that many guesses/hopes as far as Assist Trophies go beyond Tiki, haha.

I suppose some stuff with Kirby's animal friends from KDL2/3 would be nice.

Oh. Does anyone else think maybe Professor Layton has a shot of getting in, whether as an AT or a PC? His franchise has been pretty successful for Nintendo, as I recall, though I think he's third party as well.

Oh. Does anyone else think maybe Professor Layton has a shot of getting in, whether as an AT or a PC? His franchise has been pretty successful for Nintendo, as I recall, though I think he's third party as well.

While the games are published by Nintendo in NA and Europe, it's published by Level 5 themselves in Japan. So technically he isn't a Nintendo IP. So chances are very very low.

Edit:

Also forgot to mention that Professor Layton and the Curious Village did appear on the mobile devices in Japan and there is a Layton spin off game on the iOS so yes, Professor Layton is a third party game.

Edited by kingddd

OMG YES.

... I - I mean, that would be fantastic. Thumbs up.

Yuri Lowenthal vs Papenbrook a gogo. Even if we both like both vas :P

I was under the same impression Adkins was a sports player and had no Va experience but I guess we were mistaken lol.

From what I read, Adkins DID play sports first, but then he pulled a Dwayne Johnson (aka the Rock) and started acting later.

I personally hope they get him back to voice Ike again, I really like it! He should have improved even further by now too, hopefully. :D

Yuri Lowenthal vs Papenbrook a gogo. Even if we both like both vas :P

There isn't even a competition here. Go Papenbrook.

WAIT. SPEAKING OF VAs.

Please, please tell me they got Rosalina's original for this. PLEASE.

I respect the girl who voiced her for MK7 very much but...

Edited by Vashiane

First of all, Pacman will NOT be in this game, I'll go ahead and call that right now, and I have no problem betting anything and everything on that-- because he's first and foremost an arcade character. 3rd party characters only have a shot at getting in if 1) they're primarily console characters, and 2) they have some significance to Nintendo's history (this is why Megaman was such an obvious choice to get in). ((also if you're Hideo Kojima and you beg Sakurai to put your character in lol))

It's really silly that people think Pacman even has a shot of getting in, even if Bandai/Namco IS codeveloping.

I kinda hope you're right. I've got nothing personal against Pacman, but he's never seemed like a good character to put in a fighting game over a Tales or Soul Calibur character. Of course it's very possible that Namco won't get a slot at all, but I'd really be happy if any Tales rep got in (and its not like they weren't on consoles or don't have some history on nintendo consoles).

And I'd like Papenbrook for Red, as much as I love Lowenthal; I've had such a soft spot for his voice work ever since I first heard him voice Jack Russel in Radiata Stories back when he was relatively unknown in the voice industry.

How many more 3rd party characters do you guys think will be in the game?

I think three is about as most as we'll get, possibly 4. But at this point the only 3rd Party developer that should have a character is Namco since they're helping to develop the game. I said 4 because I would love to see Snake come back, but I'm not hopeful about it.

Pac-Man is the most likely third party character that isn't Snake. I will be totally surprised if we get a third party character that isn't Pac-Man, because Pac-Man is one of the most iconic video game characters ever.

Pac-Man is the most likely third party character that isn't Snake. I will be totally surprised if we get a third party character that isn't Pac-Man, because Pac-Man is one of the most iconic video game characters ever.

Again, Pac-man has no reason to be included.

Again, just because Bandai/Namco is co-developing it doesn't necessarily mean one of their characters will be in.

If we WERE going to get a Namco character, I'd put my money on Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia since he's kind of a cult fan-favorite, but on the other hand he's not so well known outside of the Tales fanbase, so I don't know how good his chances actually are. (also I don't know how many Tales games were on Nintendo consoles or how important they're considered to be to Nintendo's history; I see it as more of a PS franchise myself)

Personally, I'm pretty skeptical that we'll see another 3rd party character outside of MM / Snake / Sonic. It really seems like Sakurai only wants to include 3rd party characters if they're particularly significant; he won't add them just for the sake of adding them due to the complications with getting the rights to these characters. (Hell, do you have any idea how much of a hassle it must be to compile the rights for all the Nintendo IPs in the game in the first place? I'm sure there's a reason certain games are never really mentioned in trophies and such, like SMRPG for instance.)

Edited by BANRYU

Not saying it has to be Pac Man but he is the most recognized character in the world, more than even Mario. I know Sakurai said that Namco get's no priority but…just involving them feels like they need a homage. Just sayin'. Not like they can't make him a fighter. Look as SFxT

Lloyd was the only other Namco character I really considered as an alternate though given his cult-popularity (myself included).

As for Tales games on Nintendo systems there have been 8. Including ports, they are Tales of Phantasia, Symphonia, Abyss, Innocence, Tempest, Hearts, Dawn of the New World, and Graces (first version). Though really, only Symphonia is heavily associated with the Nintendo, even with the PS2 Port and the PS3 remaster.

Edited by Naui

Pac-Man has no significance to Nintendo, huh?

Pac-Man has had games on every Nintendo console and handheld. Sonic doesn't have this. Mega Man doesn't. Snake doesn't. Lloyd doesn't. Layton doesn't. Final Fantasy doesn't. Castlevania doesn't.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pac-Man_video_games#Home_console.2C_handheld_console.2C_and_PC_games

Also please provide a source on why third party characters have to be primarily console characters to be considered.

Whether or not Sakurai can make a moveset for Pacman has nothing to do with it; he's shown that he can easily make just about anybody work.

I just don't think that Pacman's likelihood of appearing is anywhere in the considerable range. He's one of the most iconic characters in video games, true, but SSB isn't about the most iconic characters in video game history-- it's about the most iconic characters in Nintendo's history.

Pacman's been on Nintendo consoles before, but that doesn't necessarily make him relevant to them. Hell, even Pacman's only crossover with Nintendo characters-- his guest appearance on Mario Kart-- was an arcade-only deal. However, I will admit that there were more Pacman appearances on Nintendo systems than I remembered, so maybe his chances aren't so complete nil as I thought before.

Still, I highly, highly doubt it.

(As for a source on why PCs have to be primarily console characters, it's pretty self-evident by looking at the entire playable cast of any/all Smash games. A few like Mario and such started out on arcades, and some have had modern arcade appearances like Pokemon and F-zero, but remain primarily known for their console releases.)

Edited by BANRYU

I'm pretty sure that, by that standard, Pac-man has history with pretty much every console manufacturer as much as they do with Nintendo. It's just not comparable to, say, Megaman (who started on the NES and has largely stayed on Nintendo systems, with the exception of MM8, legends, and the later X-series games) or Sonic (whose maker had a well-known rivalry with Nintendo).

Not that I think that really means much, since, y'know. Snake. Pac-man could happen, though he's hardly one of my top newcomers.

Probably my personal biased favorite pick for 3rd party characters who will definitely NOT get in would be Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden (and we have those dumb Xbox reboot games / Dead or Alive series to thank for that...).

On a more nonbiased level I'd want to see Simon Belmont. Castlevania is definitely a name that people associate with retro Nintendo.

(However I don't think his chances are too good either seeing as most CV games are on Xbox/PS at the moment)

Edited by BANRYU

I feel the same about the Belmonts. I think that had Snake not gotten in to Brawl, we'd be seeing Simon Belmont in this game alongside Mega Man.

Simon would be cool yes (Even if I Like Richter and Alucard more) but due to Snake its an unfortunate impossiblity now.

Edited by Jedisupersorry

Er, wait, did I miss something? Why is Simon impossible? Was there a one-3rd-party-character-per-company guest star restriction that I missed somewhere...? If Sakurai DOES decide to put Simon in (which I don't think he will, but for different reasons), I don't think the fact that they're both Konami would affect anything.... unless I missed something.... o___o

Edited by BANRYU

Technically we don't know if multiple characters from a single third party will be allowed or not. Generally I think it's an assumption made by fans based on the fact that Sakurai doesn't plan on adding a whole lot of Third-Parties.

Sadly this also means Bomberman is unlikely. :(

Er, wait, did I miss something? Why is Simon impossible? Was there a one-3rd-party-character-per-company guest star restriction that I missed somewhere...? If Sakurai DOES decide to put Simon in (which I don't think he will, but for different reasons), I don't think the fact that they're both Konami would affect anything.... unless I missed something.... o___o

Do you think people wouldn't want to call out Sakurais company bias if a company got more then one character?

Simon would be cool yes (Even if I Like Richter and Alucard more) but due to Snake its an unfortunate impossiblity now.

Simon would be terrible. Have you seen what he's wearing?! That leather is so tacky. He also shows too much buttocks.