SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Um, Chrom would not be an Ike clone, whether Ike is in or not. Chrom uses lances, Ike does not. Ike uses axes, Chrom does not. Chrom has a different sword style and Ike wields an entirely different type of sword all together. Not to mention that Chrom's Aether isn't even nearly the same. They have the same effects, but not animation, and Ike's Aether animation is what his Smash Bros. Aether is. Chrom's Aether animation is closer to Ike's Quick Draw than anything.

But I REALLY hope that Sakurai doesn't decide to slap Ike's Aether onto Chrom. Aether was one of the main things that made Ike unique compared to Marth, and it should stay that way in comparision to Chrom too, imo. Besides, Ike is the first and original Aether master. Leaving it as his alone in Smash Bros would reflect that.

...And I still can't shut up about anything Ike related. *facepalms*

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, Chrom would not be an Ike clone, whether Ike is in or not. Chrom uses lances, Ike does not. Ike uses axes, Chrom does not. Chrom has a different sword style and Ike wields an entirely different type of sword all together. Not to mention that Chrom's Aether isn't even nearly the same. They have the same effects, but not animation, and Ike's Aether animation is what his Smash Bros. Aether is. Chrom's Aether animation is closer to Ike's Quick Draw than anything.

But I REALLY hope that Sakurai doesn't decide to slap Ike's Aether onto Chrom. Aether was one of the main things that made Ike unique compared to Marth, and it should stay that way in comparision to Chrom too, imo. Besides, Ike is the first and original Aether master. Leaving it as his alone in Smash Bros would reflect that.

...And I still can't shut up about anything Ike related. *facepalms*

I'm not saying they'd put Chrom's skin over Ike and call it a day, I'm just saying Chrom would fill the "Ike" slot to the point of being the heavier FE rep alongside Marth. What they do in their own game doesn't matter that much; Ike doesn't use axes in Brawl, for example, so I don't know why you'd bother mentioning that.

Sakurai could change up Ike's moveset a bit to further differentiate the two though, we don't know. And I don't think Chrom would be as heavy as Ike, especially if Sakurai decides to use Ike's RD design this time. That one would be even more fitting for his heavyweight swordsman role.

Edited by Anacybele

Um, Chrom would not be an Ike clone, whether Ike is in or not. Chrom uses lances, Ike does not. Ike uses axes, Chrom does not.

There's no guarantee either of them will use their secondary weapon types. Plus there's really not much difference between how you use a sword and an Axe.

Chrom has a different sword style and Ike wields an entirely different type of sword all together.

Uh no they don't. Both of their signature swords are big, two-handed broadswords.

I think the main thing making Ike different from Marth is his slower movement, more powerful attacks and lack of a tipper.

I think you need to stop being so superficial when judging character playstyles.

Yes, that could happen.

My own speculation is just that: my own.

But my other reason for not wanting to see Chrom, especially if Ike returns (which I would be happy with), is how that would represent FE: three blue-haired, sword-wielding dudes. At least Lucina is female...

Um, Falchion was never a two-handed sword. Marth always used his with one hand, and Chrom and Lucina are no different.

Class Change won't be in, as it would be considered a transformation and Sakurai eliminated those.

Edited by Anacybele

Behehe. Good one Randoman.

Objectively, who's more likely out of Chrom or Lucina in smash 4? I have no doubt now that one of them will make it in. But will it be the main character of the game? Or will it be the poster-gal?

Objectively it's definitely Chrom, if for no other reason than that Lucina is dressed almost identically to Marth. Having two characters that look almost exactly the same albeit one having longer hair (since Lucina IS pretty flat as Anacybele pointed out once) isn't very sound aesthetically.

Although, if that weren't an issue I'd be all for her being the Awakening representative. Smash could always use more lady fighters.

As for Ridley, I think it's possible (if unlikely) that he might still show up under the Alfonzo principle.

Upon thinking about it more, though, I'm thinking that the most likely explanation for the fishiness surrounding Ridley's reveal/not-reveal is that his programming or textures or some other technical aspect are simply not finished. His shadow was moving sort of strangely in the short clip he appeared in.

Ruled out completely...? Perhaps not, but I definitely don't think it's one of the higher likelihoods.

I'm very cautious to be optimistic about it at the risk of being disappointed-- again.

EDIT: At this point, with the roster at just about 30 characters now (I can't imagine the final roster would have any more than 40 characters, and if you factor nigh-guaranteed returners like MK, Ness, Captain Falcon, Falco, Ganondorf, and G&W-- that's nearly 40 already), Ike's likelihood of being cut looks higher than ever. He definitely has qualities that set him apart and make him unique, there's no question of that; but there's only so many characters that they can put in this game and have it still be balanced. If he gets back in and Chrom is a newcomer, then their movesets WILL be sufficiently different-- that's a given by now, so it's pointless to discuss it. Really, there's no way to know for sure. o___o Sakurai has been super mum in the FE department for anybody not named Marth/Tiki/Lyn.

Edited by BANRYU

Um, Falchion was never a two-handed sword. Marth always used his with one hand, and Chrom and Lucina are no different.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OneHandedZweihander

The reforged Falchion is big enough to qualify as a broadsword.

Oh and I'm pretty sure that Lucina holds her Falchion with two hands in her battle animations, but it's been a while since I played the game so I might be wrong.

GUYS. COME ON. Enough with getting mired in pointless technicalities, seriously.

Edited by BANRYU

Yeah, Ridley could be getting the same treatment Toon Link got. Everyone thought TL was gone when we saw him in the Spirit Tracks stage, but he's still around and Alfonzo drives the train when the player uses TL on it. Another boss could take Ridley's place in that Metroid stage whenever a player is using Ridley in it.

Not me, I always thought my main was still gonna be in Smash 4.

Edited by PKL

GUYS. COME ON. Enough with getting mired in pointless technicalities, seriously.

I'd love to. I'll stop talking about "pointless technicalities" when people start bringing them up.

Does no one think Robin has a chance? Robin is co-protagonist and it would be much easier to make a unique moveset for Robin than for Chrom or Lucina.

*raises hand*

TBH there are just too many complications linked to incorporating any version of Robin as a playable character. I could be wrong, since there ARE a lot of similarities between our three blue-haired sword dudes, but I think it's pretty highly unlikely. The only personal avatar character to be incorporated yet was the Villager, and I'd argue that a lot of those same issues surround him as well (for instance, how did they decide what he was going to look like? Why does there seem to be no female version of the character? etc.) Anyway I don't want to get too into it, but it's a very messy design procedure to create a character like that. Animal Crossing at least has the benefit of being very popular behind it, but Fire Emblem, even as of Awakening and all the new fans, still isn't nearly as popular.

I'd love to. I'll stop talking about "pointless technicalities" when people start bringing them up.

Or you can just ignore the pointless technicalities when they're brought up and let the subject die on its own? No one is forcing you to respond to them, right? (it's difficult, I know, but it's not worth getting involved in stuff like that most of the time. See, I'm already regretting not taking my own advice lol)

Edited by BANRYU

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OneHandedZweihander

The reforged Falchion is big enough to qualify as a broadsword.

It's still not as big as Ragnell though, I think.

Banryu: You're right, I should just ignore any mentions of Ike until/unless he's actually shown. It would be hard, as you say, but it's doable.

It's still not as big as Ragnell though, I think.

You seem to think that things that aren't super important WRT movesets are much more important than they actually are. Edited by shinpichu

Class Change won't be in, as it would be considered a transformation and Sakurai eliminated those.

Um, Ragnell was never a two-handed sword. ike always used his with one hand, and The Black knight and Priam are no different.

Mega evolution won't be in, as it would be considered a transformation and Sakurai eliminated those.

See what I did there?

I don't think Class Change was ever going to be a part of Chrom's moveset. Neither would Pair Up honestly.

If he's in, he's going to primarily use Falchion and maybe throw a Javelin or something for one of his specials. The Falchion is his iconic weapon, so in the context of Smash there's little reason for him to use anything else.

I don't think Class Change was ever going to be a part of Chrom's moveset. Neither would Pair Up honestly.

If he's in, he's going to primarily use Falchion and maybe throw a Javelin or something for one of his specials. The Falchion is his iconic weapon, so in the context of Smash there's little reason for him to use anything else.

Neither do I, class change, even as a FS, would be strange, since how would that deal massive damage? Im just appyling standard anacyebele logic to show how her logic is flawed.

Um, Ragnell was never a two-handed sword. ike always used his with one hand, and The Black knight and Priam are no different.

Mega evolution won't be in, as it would be considered a transformation and Sakurai eliminated those.

See what I did there?

Except you're incorrect. See shinpichu's link. Also, Ike, Black Knight, and Priam were designed to be able to wield it with one hand. Ragnell is still classified as a two-handed sword. Ike does swing it with two hands on occasion anyway. Chrom always swings his Falchion with one hand except for that instance where he did a few flips in the one cutscene.

As for mega evolution, it IS in the game and you knew what I meant. Mega evolution doesn't change anything about the Pokemon except their strength. Their moves remain the same. Class changing Chrom would give him a different weapon or a horse, thus forcing alterations to his moveset. Sakurai wants everyone to be able to stick with one moveset the whole match.

Edited by Anacybele

Except you're incorrect. See shinpichu's link. Also, Ike, Black Knight, and Priam were designed to be able to wield it with one hand. Ragnell is still classified as a two-handed sword. Ike does swing it with two hands on occasion anyway. Chrom always swings his Falchion with one hand except for that instance where he did a few flips in the one cutscene.

As for mega evolution, it IS in the game and you knew what I meant. Mega evolution doesn't change anything about the Pokemon except their strength. Their moves remain the same. Class changing Chrom would give him a different weapon or a horse, thus forcing alterations to his moveset. Sakurai wants everyone to be able to stick with one moveset the whole match.

Except you're incorrect. See shinpichu's link. Also, Chrom was designed to be able to wield it with one hand. Falchion (awakening) is still classified as a two-handed sword. Lucina does swing it with two hands on occasion anyway. Ike always swings his Ragnell with one hand except for that instance where he did an aether in an intro.

Just so you know, you are arguing with your own logic, if you are going to say it is incorrect, you are proving my point that your logic is flawed.

As for mega evolution, i know it IS in the game and i know what you meant. However, that does no change the fact that your statement was technically false, your statement specifically says that transformation is eliminated. The fact that mega evolution exists disproves that statement entirely. ME, in ssb4 is present, so there is a transformation of sorts in the game, therefore your statement that transformation have been eliminated is false.

How many FE characters do you think we'll get? I'd say three. it might be Marth, Chrom and Ike. speaking of abilities, any chance they might add an rng based move to a character? like how criticals worked( Game and Watch's 9 judgement)

He's removed DDD's and Olimar's random-ness, so perhaps Peach and Gaw will also lose theirs.

To clarify, yes, ragnell is a two-handed sword. You csn even tell ftom his official render in Brawl and by looking at yhe handle itself. The reason Ike wields it with one hand is cause he's just that strong

Edited by Hero-King

Lucina does wield Falchion with two hands in battle while Chrom wields it with one. Probably because Lucina is like 15 and weak physically.