SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

It's really nice to see them giving more spotlight to lesser known Nintendo franchises. I'll admit, it's a bit weird to see them keep the level flat like it was in the SNES Pilotwings.

I wonder if they'll be adding any Pilotwing characters to the roster like Shirley or Lance. Well, I personally wouldn't mind. They'd be unique additions and I've always liked how Smash Bros. puts a lot of spotlight on lesser known Nintendo characters.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so it's from Pilotwings... but what exactly is it, a stage background then? Since it showed nothing but that stage map, and it does look kinda flat.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

It's due for a new character reveal, there's a Nintendo Direct tomorrow, Pilotwings related content is shown the day before...

Oh god, no! D:

It's due for a new character reveal, there's a Nintendo Direct tomorrow, Pilotwings related content is shown the day before...

Oh god, no! D:

Remember stage does not mean a character from the same series is guaranteed.

There's going to be a global Nintendo Direct tomorrow. Since we haven't had a newcomer revealed since E3, this could be it.

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/364747733938085889

Could very well be ^^

Remember stage does not mean a character from the same series is guaranteed.

Yes, I know. It's just the timing that startles me. It would make sense to show the stage the day before, should they really announce a character from the series.

Yes, I know. It's just the timing that startles me. It would make sense to show the stage the day before, should they really announce a character from the series.

That is pretty true, I do wonder what the direct will be about, Sakurai has been completely unpredictable this time around lol.

Uh, guys, it says that Nintendo Direct is for games releasing this year. Smash Bros. won't be out until next year. xP

I'm hoping for more stuff on Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. :3

Uh, guys, it says that Nintendo Direct is for games releasing this year. Smash Bros. won't be out until next year. xP

I'm hoping for more stuff on Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. :3

Does that anywhere say they won't pull a surprise reveal for smash, because I'd say it has a good chance of happening.

Hoping more on X myself.

That Nintendo Direct just happened to be on the first day I leave for vacation. Well, at least a lot of hotels nowadays have Wi-Fi, so I'll hopefully be able to check it at the hotel. I hope the Wi-Fi is good enough for watching videos.

Oh god, no! D:

I still prefer it much more than 3rd parties that are hardly affilated with Nintendo (glares at Snake) or second versions of characters already in Smash Bros. (eg: Paper Mario, Toon Link).

Besides, it's about time some of the lesser known Nintendo franchises got the spotlight in Smash Bros. I mean, the series is a spinoff and a celebration of Nintendo and its history, and not "you better put in all the newcomers I want and not waste any slots of weird newcomers." I especially dont't like how people want loads of 3rd party characters in (like this one IGN SSB4 character wishlist where 9 of the 10 characters were 3rd party). Convince other companies to make their own Smash Bros. games then. If people can make loads of Mario Kart clones (a lot of which I admit I enjoy and have no problem with), I don't see the problem in other game companies making their own Smash Bros. games.

I still prefer it much more than 3rd parties that are hardly affilated with Nintendo (glares at Snake) or second versions of characters already in Smash Bros. (eg: Paper Mario, Toon Link).

Besides, it's about time some of the lesser known Nintendo franchises got the spotlight in Smash Bros. I mean, the series is a spinoff and a celebration of Nintendo and its history, and not "you better put in all the newcomers I want and not waste any slots of weird newcomers." I especially dont't like how people want loads of 3rd party characters in (like this one IGN SSB4 character wishlist where 9 of the 10 characters were 3rd party). Convince other companies to make their own Smash Bros. games then. If people can make loads of Mario Kart clones (a lot of which I admit I enjoy and have no problem with), I don't see the problem in other game companies making their own Smash Bros. games.

Still gotta remember Snake was added in because Sakurai and Kojima are really good friends and Snake had some romps on the Nintendo systems back in the day, granted he doesn't have much to do with the company but a good amount of people were excited to see him. I see him as the special exception of the 3rd parties

Toon Link also has his fans and you gotta remember as of now he is now the most commonly seen Link in the most games in the franchise no small feat considering how many Zelda games there are. Sakurai also seems to like the concept of having 2 Links at a time.

Paper Mario would have the potential for a very different moveset from Mario, the various star powers, badges, the hammer, his partners, Super Paper Mario abilities, heck his stickers even if I don't like sticker star at all, his paper abilities in the Thousand Year Door.

Also other companies have tried their hands at Smash brothers clones, TMNT, Cartoon Network and Sony to be exact. They were ok but they got panned for being copies, the kart games don't for some reason but if anyone decides to copy smash brothers style they are instantly decried as lesser ripoffs.

Yes Nintendo's history is important to keep in mind, thus why we have Game & Watch, R.O.B, Pit's revival, Ice Climbers in the first place, no doubts that Sakurai will be bringing back another from the past.

Edited by Folgore Red II

^ JUS does not count?

JUS, was pretty different from Smash I wouldn't put them in the same category. Some of the concepts are there.. But yeah all the rest.. Not really. customization, the whole assist character concept with the decks to assist at will not to mention the swtiching. There being actual KO's from HP. The rock paper scissors concept with the 3 character types, etc.

Edited by Folgore Red II

Still gotta remember Snake was added in because Sakurai and Kojima are really good friends and Snake had some romps on the Nintendo systems back in the day, granted he doesn't have much to do with the company but a good amount of people were excited to see him. I see him as the special exception of the 3rd parties

Toon Link also has his fans and you gotta remember as of now he is now the most commonly seen Link in the most games in the franchise no small feat considering how many Zelda games there are. Sakurai also seems to like the concept of having 2 Links at a time.

Paper Mario would have the potential for a very different moveset from Mario, the various star powers, badges, the hammer, his partners, Super Paper Mario abilities, heck his stickers even if I don't like sticker star at all, his paper abilities in the Thousand Year Door.

Also other companies have tried their hands at Smash brothers clones, TMNT, Cartoon Network and Sony to be exact. They were ok but they got panned for being copies, the kart games don't for some reason but if anyone decides to copy smash brothers style they are instantly decried as lesser ripoffs.

Yes Nintendo's history is important to keep in mind, thus why we have Game & Watch, R.O.B, Pit's revival, Ice Climbers in the first place, no doubts that Sakurai will be bringing back another from the past.

I still think Snake shouldn't be in Smash Bros., and that there's plenty of other 3rd party franchises that are much more relevant to Nintendo than Solid Snake (Mega Man, Bomberman, Dragon Quest). Besides, Metal Gear Solid is a lot more heavily associated with Sony than Nintendo. I still feel it was rather selfish of that Kojima to ask such a favour, especially when he didn't heavily support Nintendo with the more prominent MGS games in return for that favour (no MGS 4, 5, or Rising on Nintendo consoles).

Well, any second version of any character would have their own fanbase (Mr. L, Dark Pit, Dark Samus, etc), though in a lot of those cases, a simple costume of them a much more feasible idea than an entire character slot for them. I don't think any character should get two versions of themself taking up multiple roster slots in a fighting game though, since that's unfair to all other characters in the roster who only get one slot in the roster. I mean, even if the Links are different people that are born in different eras, it's still the persona of Link. And I really think Toon Link should be an alternate costume if anything. Yeah, there's the size issue, but if Sakurai can scale Olimar from penny size to Mario's waist height and reduce Bowser's real size by around half in Smash Bros., I think he should have no problem with making Toon Link into regular Link's size. Even though Sakurai said that there hasn't been any cuts yet, he did say that he's looking for a lot more versatility in SSB4's roster, so Toon Link is probably one of the more likely characters to get cut if they run out of time (Ike and Lucario have uniqueness on their side, unlike Toon Link). Even if he does have popularity and prevalance going for him, that didn't stop Mewtwo from being cut and Ice Climbers from staying in.

I know a lot of people suggest giving Toon Link and Paper Mario completely different moves from their original counterparts, but that would throw off all the people who use regular Link and Mario when they try to use them, and they almost never do that in fighting games (giving two versions of a character completely different moves, unless they're robotic or something). Even with completely different movesets, I still think that it's unfair that certain characters get two roster slots for themselves. That, and certain characters getting double the moves that anyone else does (when you count all the moves the two character versions have in total) seems quite unfair to all the other characters as well. Yeah, there's Zelda/Sheik, Samus/ZSS, and Pokemon Trainer, but at least they're character transformations or tag teams that are tied to a whole character, rather than fully independant characters that take up two slots.

Yeah, the two slots for the same character/persona idea really irks me and annoys me. It just feels like theres a lot of biasedness and favouritism to characters who get two slots in a roster (Classic and Regular Sub-Zero in UMK3 and Wolverine and Bone Claw Wolverine also annoy me as well). Even if it's something like Human Smoke and Robot Smoke in UMK 3 where they're the same person, they have completely different specials, yet they still only take up one slot, I'm still okay with that. I guess I'm weird like that.

I'm aware of the various different Smash Bros. clones out there (especially Playstation All Stars Battle Royale, which my cousins, brothers, and I played a lot of yesterday at my birthday. I also knew about it and followed it ever since it was called Title Fight and there was only the Sweet Tooth screenshot in terms of proof of the game's existance). There's also a Digimon Smash Bros. on the PS1. I still wish more companies would make their own Smash Bros. clones (especially Sega, since they have one of the best character rosters for that kind of game). And yeah, they get bashed on quite a lot. Mario Kart clones also get their fair share of bashing, but it's not as bad as the Smash Bros. clone bashing. I'll admit, I don't like the bashing on Smash Bros. clones, since at least having those games out there mean more games like Smash Bros. that are available to play. Even if I found the content of Playstation All Stars to be lacking, I enjoy it quite a lot and even played it more than Smash Bros. on my birthday yesterday because it's a brand new twist on the free for all fighter genre (in terms of the fighting style and rules).

Edited by Randoman

And I always thought I was the only one who wants Toon Link gone THAT badly.
It's not like the Zelda series doesn't offer enough characters that would make a great addition to Smash. Hell, I'd even take Ghirahim instead of Toon Link, although I hate this guy.

Toon Link is here to stay, deal with it. :smug: No, seriously, Sakurai has said before that Smash needs 2 Link reps at this point due to the vastly different styles. And Toon Link is way too relevant and will get new games soon. The appearance of his descendant in a stage is the same as DK appearing in 75M.

Toon Link is here to stay, deal with it. :smug: No, seriously, Sakurai has said before that Smash needs 2 Link reps at this point due to the vastly different styles. And Toon Link is way too relevant and will get new games soon. The appearance of his descendant in a stage is the same as DK appearing in 75M.

I know you like playing T.Link in brawl, so how would you feel about a different moveset for him?

We saw Toon Link as a NPC in the Spirit Track stage, so I don't think we might see him as a playable character.

DK was on 75M. Your point?

And before you throw the OH its cranky kong at me, how many people seriously know that.

Edited by Folgore Red II

DK was on 75M. Your point?

And before you throw the OH its cranky kong at me, how many people seriously know that.

Yeah, the whole Cranky Kong was DK from the older games isn't really all that well know. Possible if Toon Link was playable and you picked him on that stage, the rider would be replace with someone else.

Seriously...I just said why that is not relevant at all. That isn't even THE Toon Link. That's the Spirit Tracks Link. Also known as train conductor Link. Also known as Toon's descendant. It means jack shit.

@ Breezy- I wouldn't mind it as long as he's not unusably bad like what they did with regular Link and Ganon in brawl.