SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I'd like to think that Chrom would play as an aggressive fighter, given his attitude.

"Now I'm Angry"

Indeed

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a firm believer of the leak which includes Shulk, Chrom and the Chorus Men.

And I'm doubting that Chroms style will be anything like Marth and Ike unlike what a lot of Awakening and Chrom haters are saying, he has the Cut scenes, his animations and such for parts of a moveset

And who's to say he won't borrow other games animations and styles.

Marth did so for his near entire move set and Chroms game was a celebration of FE of sorts.. what better way to celebrate then to show off various animations..

And you gotta remember Sakurai is a creative guy when he wants to be.

I'd rather he be creative with the Avatar since it's now a feature of the series rather than a single character and thus won't be dated by the time the next Smash Bros comes out. Also would be nice to see someone from Fire Emblem using some magic.

Edited by Jotari

I'd rather he be creative with the Avatar since it's now a feature of the series rather than a single character and thus won't be dated by the time the next Smash Bros comes out. Also would be nice to see someone from Fire Emblem using some magic.

Are Marth and Ike dated now?

Is Pikachu dated now?

I understand your want for a magic user but the logic you use is a bit silly in my opinion considering Smash is about Nintendo history, not Nintendo RECENCY.

Last I checked Chrom was the main character of the best seller in the franchise, and Robin is just there as a player advocate which has been done before, so by your own logic, the tactician is dated. Which would be the better argument to make here, that its a part of the FE series

Edited by JediSwordSaint

Are Marth and Ike dated now?

Is Pikachu dated now?

I understand your want for a magic user but the logic you use is a bit silly in my opinion considering Smash is about Nintendo history, not Nintendo RECENCY.

Last I checked Chrom was the main character of the best seller in the franchise, and Robin is just there as a player advocate which has been done before, so by your own logic, the tactician is dated. Which would be the better argument to make here, that its a part of the FE series

Marth isn't out dated because he's the original hero of the series. No matter how many games come out he will always have that distinction that separates him from any other character. Ike has manage to stay relevant thanks to his popularity, of which has granted him the leading role in two games in the series, something accomplished only by Marth (and to some extent Leaf). He also has a very distinctive moveset from typical sword user which not only takes well from his game, but fills a very nice niche in smash itse;f as a fighting game. I wouldn't liken Chrom to Ike or Marth, I'd compare him to Roy who is out dated now because he was the protagonist of one game over ten years ago and is completely unimportant to the series overall hence why he is no longer in Smash. True Awakening's sales means it's likely we;ll get another game set in that world but due to the nature of Awakening's story I highly doubt the protagonist will be Chrom meaning in seven or so years time when the next Smash comes out, Chrom will be the shared hero of one game (because really it's just as much if not more the Avatar's story as it is Chrom's) that is seven years old. At which time we will hopefully have several new Fire Emblem games with new characters who could get in and in order to keep the size of Fire Emblem reps reasonable cutting the then unimportant Chrom would have to be an inevitability.

And saying the Tactician concept is dated because it's been used before is just silly. The fact that it's been used before and is being continually used now just reinforces my point. It's a part of the series as a whole instead of being something that is limited to just one game. Samus' Zero Suit first showed on the gameboy advance ten years ago and has continually made appearances in Metroid games. It's a recognizable part of the series now which is why Samus uses it in Smash.

Edited by Jotari

You could certainly argue that Robin is more the main character than Chrom, even if he/she isn't a lord by class or required in every chapter.

I think the problem most anti-Chrom people have with him being in the roster is not that he'd be really similar to Marth or Ike, but more so that he's ANOTHER blue-haired swordsman and he also has Falchion and Aether, which Marth and Ike have respectively. He just wouldn't stand out enough regardless of what his moves could be. Avatar would stand out much more.

And I still hope for Avatar and that Gematsu just so happened to be misinformed on this one.

I would totally prefer any other char rather than one from Awakening: Sigurd, Seliph, Leif, Deirdre, Guinnivere, Lyn, Hector, Eirika, Ephraim, Elincia, Micaiah, Caeda, Hardin (sorry for FEs I haven't played or forgot), there's a nice bunch of people to choose from, but... :{ nvm. Heck, if it were from Awakening I'd prefer Tharja over Chrom, Avatar or anything, well, there's Lucina tho <3

But the only thing I really want is Shulk or anyone from The Last Story...

*looks at sig* o3o

edit: Wrong Ana, I want another blue haired swordsman, SIGURD AND/OR SELIPH YES PLZ YES PLZ 8b

Edited by Quintessence

Honestly I think out of all the Lords in the series, Leif could have the most interesting moveset. The Light Brand would be enough justification to give him light based powers and some of the unique gameplay elements of Thracia could be translated in interesting ways. Some kind of Master Knight esque form could also be used for his final smash.

Edited by Jotari

I would totally prefer any other char rather than one from Awakening: Sigurd, Seliph, Leif, Deirdre, Guinnivere, Lyn, Hector, Eirika, Ephraim, Elincia, Micaiah, Caeda, Hardin (sorry for FEs I haven't played or forgot), there's a nice bunch of people to choose from, but... :{ nvm. Heck, if it were from Awakening I'd prefer Tharja over Chrom, Avatar or anything, well, there's Lucina tho <3

But the only thing I really want is Shulk or anyone from The Last Story...

*looks at sig* o3o

edit: Wrong Ana, I want another blue haired swordsman, SIGURD AND/OR SELIPH YES PLZ YES PLZ 8b

I'm actually quite warmed up to the idea of Tharja, unllike most lords at least she's got a personality. Also she's purely magic, no swords, and has hair that isn't blue.

A Jugdral character would be awesome (looking at you Leif) but I doubt we would see one unless my dreams come true and FE4/5 are remade with Awakening mechanics.

I'd actually prefer Ephraim over any other character for a newcomer, but like that's going to happen. He shares his spotlight with Eirika and Magvel didn't even get another game.

I think the problem most anti-Chrom people have with him being in the roster is not that he'd be really similar to Marth or Ike, but more so that he's ANOTHER blue-haired swordsman and he also has Falchion and Aether, which Marth and Ike have respectively. He just wouldn't stand out enough regardless of what his moves could be. Avatar would stand out much more.

And I still hope for Avatar and that Gematsu just so happened to be misinformed on this one.

Is hair color REALLY that big a deal though? Like, come on.

Also, Just because of two things that Marth and Ike have that he shares, doesn't instantly link him to be like them.

[spoiler=So I don't have to stretch my post, explanations lie within]

Yeah, he has Falchion, but Marth's is depicted as a slim sword that suits his graceful one-handed swordplay, which in the way it was designed in actuality of FE, the weapon doesn't fit that at all, and is larger, probably comparable to Link's Master Sword with how it was used back then. This new Falchion is nothing like Marth's style, and can be argued to technically being a completely different sword, other than retaining its name. His weapon, alone, is enough to make his moves stand out from both of them. Its not light, like Marth's and its not heavy like Ike's.

As for Aether, Ike has that for a move in Smash merely cause of the memorable animations that it gave him, which made it so iconic that you just COULDN'T pass up on a move like that. The fact that Chrom has the same skill means nothing. He doesn't do it the same; Its only the same effect. And who's to say he'll even have it as a special move?

Yeah, it would still require some creativity, from Sakurai, but its definitely doable, if he can transform Pit's original Palutena Bow into a dual blade (course, that was due to redesign, but the point still stands), and give Ike Eruption, which he never had at all

Not saying that Avatar wouldn't be an interesting twist in the traditional FE character, since I too agree that the potential is vast, but shooting Chrom down for trivial similarities just isn't fair

Marth isn't out dated because he's the original hero of the series. No matter how many games come out he will always have that distinction that separates him from any other character. Ike has manage to stay relevant thanks to his popularity, of which has granted him the leading role in two games in the series, something accomplished only by Marth (and to some extent Leaf). He also has a very distinctive moveset from typical sword user which not only takes well from his game, but fills a very nice niche in smash itse;f as a fighting game. I wouldn't liken Chrom to Ike or Marth, I'd compare him to Roy who is out dated now because he was the protagonist of one game over ten years ago and is completely unimportant to the series overall hence why he is no longer in Smash. True Awakening's sales means it's likely we;ll get another game set in that world but due to the nature of Awakening's story I highly doubt the protagonist will be Chrom meaning in seven or so years time when the next Smash comes out, Chrom will be the shared hero of one game (because really it's just as much if not more the Avatar's story as it is Chrom's) that is seven years old. At which time we will hopefully have several new Fire Emblem games with new characters who could get in and in order to keep the size of Fire Emblem reps reasonable cutting the then unimportant Chrom would have to be an inevitability.

And saying the Tactician concept is dated because it's been used before is just silly. The fact that it's been used before and is being continually used now just reinforces my point. It's a part of the series as a whole instead of being something that is limited to just one game. Samus' Zero Suit first showed on the gameboy advance ten years ago and has continually made appearances in Metroid games. It's a recognizable part of the series now which is why Samus uses it in Smash.

The reason why Roy isn't in smash is because of time constants not recency. You are misinformed.

Samus has shown her Zero Suit since the NES i'll have you know, ever heard of the Justin Bailey cheat? Or completed any of her games in a timely manner?

Nah I wasn't saying the Tactician deal was dated per say, I was just comparing it to how you think dating means anything and how it would have been a better argument to use the fact that the Tactician HAS been around before Awakening as a stronger point

Edited by JediSwordSaint

The reason why Roy isn't in smash is because of time constants not recency. You are misinformed.

Both aspects are there, actually. Yes, he has data in Brawl, suggesting he was cut later on due to time constraints, but clearly he didn't have priority in the first place; why wasn't someone else cut instead of him? Because Roy lost his importance.

Both aspects are there, actually. Yes, he has data in Brawl, suggesting he was cut later on due to time constraints, but clearly he didn't have priority in the first place; why wasn't someone else cut instead of him? Because Roy lost his importance.

Actually I figure its more because IS pushed Ike to be added that Roy had less priority, thats just speculation. You are probably pretty on though.

Samus has shown her Zero Suit since the NES i'll have you know, ever heard of the Justin Bailey cheat? Or completed any of her games in a timely manner?

Nah I wasn't saying the Tactician deal was dated per say, I was just comparing it to how you think dating means anything and how it would have been a better argument to use the fact that the Tactician HAS been around before Awakening as a stronger point

Roy's name has been found in the code but that doesn't even mean he was planned at all. It just means his name is in the code. Most likely because they used a lot of Melee's framework to build Brawl. But even if he was planned he was still cut in the end and he was cut for a reason. They didn't want to over emphasize Fire Emblem by have Marth, Roy and Ike so they cut the one with the least relevance. His continuing lack of relevance is why we won't see him in the new game (though I wouldn't object if he did get in since I liked how he handled in Melee).

And I was specifically referring to the actual Zero Suit which first appeared in Metroid Zero Mission. Samus not wearing her Power Suit isn't the same as the Zero Suit but recent years it has come to be her default appearance outside of her Power Suit.

Roy's name has been found in the code but that doesn't even mean he was planned at all. It just means his name is in the code. Most likely because they used a lot of Melee's framework to build Brawl. But even if he was planned he was still cut in the end and he was cut for a reason. They didn't want to over emphasize Fire Emblem by have Marth, Roy and Ike so they cut the one with the least relevance. His continuing lack of relevance is why we won't see him in the new game (though I wouldn't object if he did get in since I liked how he handled in Melee).

There was also an unused victory theme that was associated with Roy, so I do believe he was planned on at a point.

And weren't Roy and Mewtwo the farthest in development out of the "Forbidden 7"?

According to what we knew. Yes

daily-en.jpg?date=1404977188031

Pic of the day. The character farther in the back isn't from the Imperial forces, and the character in the front is not the infamous drum-playing puppet in Osaka. No, Mario is actually wearing an outfit from Family Computer Golf: U.S. Course! NES Open Tournament Golf might be a more familiar title.

The Star Wars reference Sakurai made in today's pic made me chuckle (out of curiousity, how well known is Star Wars in Japan?). Does Samus ever actually use that costume in the Metroid series, or is it specific to Smash Bros? Also, I never expected Mario to get his NES Open Tournament Golf costume in Smash Bros. I'm really hoping Luigi gets his NES Golf costume as well, since it's only fair and Luigi did show up in that game as well.

I really have to wonder how many costumes minimum/on average each character will be getting in SSB4...