SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Sakurai intended to put him in at one point.

Funny you should bring that back up. I was giving it some thought and decided to make a video about what Leif's moveset could be like. Just uploaded it this morning. Check it out.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only think there are 3 newcomers left:
Shulk, Ghirahim, and Ridley

Shulk: Obvious pick even without a leak behind him.

I also can still see a Rhythm Heaven rep due to the Sneaky Spirit, even if it's Rhythm Girl or Karate Joe, but that's iffy.

Ghirahim and Ridley.

If we go by the Trophy Quiz theory, then we've already gotten a FE and Kid Icarus rep. Ghirahim is Fi's counterpart and

[spoiler=Other M]When you defeat King Kihunter, larval Ridley sort of starts eating some of the corpse.

I'm grasping at straws here, but I could easily see it happen.

Well, let's get one thing straight here: Gematsu wasn't a leak, it was a hoax. A very impressive set of predictions, yes, but a hoax nonetheless.

I'm still thinking Dixie or K. Rool has a pretty strong shot here, personally, possibly the best at the moment... apart from them, I'm leaning toward Shulk and Isaac, and though I feel like the latter is more likely than the former, his series is also more obscure nowadays and might lack that lasting appeal that Xenoblade will definitely have.... it's a tough call. I definitely don't think we'll see more than three, though.

Also Ridley will definitely not be in. Nope nope nope. He's just too bi-HAHAHAHAHAHA couldn't say that one with a straight face sorry

Well, let's get one thing straight here: Gematsu wasn't a leak, it was a hoax. A very impressive set of predictions, yes, but a hoax nonetheless.

I'm still thinking Dixie or K. Rool has a pretty strong shot here, personally, possibly the best at the moment... apart from them, I'm leaning toward Shulk and Isaac, and though I feel like the latter is more likely than the former, his series is also more obscure nowadays and might lack that lasting appeal that Xenoblade will definitely have.... it's a tough call. I definitely don't think we'll see more than three, though.

Also Ridley will definitely not be in. Nope nope nope. He's just too bi-HAHAHAHAHAHA couldn't say that one with a straight face sorry

Okay...? I never said Gematsu WASN'T a hoax, I just said Shulk doesn't need even a real leak for me to think he'll be in.

Isaac and K. Rool are unlikely as far as I can tell. K. Rool and Golden Sun haven't been well known in forever. K. Rool's last DK appearance was Barrel Blast. Barrel Blast. I'd like both to join, but I don't see it. Dixie is ehh.

I feel very strongly we'll get a new Zelda and Metroid character, and ZSS/Sheik don't count.

If I had my way, Chibi-Robo, Shulk, Impa, and Ridley would be the last four new characters. Maybe Isaac and Dixie, with Ghirahim instead of Impa or Chibi not in.

CHIBI-ROBO-SAMA WHYYYYY

So I saw this online and I thought some people might appreciate it. (Large image in spoiler)

not_today_by_matsu_sensei-d7qqta0.jpg

EDIT: Source, if anyone's interested.

Relevant quoting.

Wait, I'm still a bit confused about Robin. When Sakurai says that Robin's tome changes with each special attack, does he just mean that each special (up, down, side, neutral) is a different tome, or does he also mean that the tome changes with each casting (Thunder->Elthunder->Arcthunder->Thoron), with maybe a certain amount of uses before it automatically switches to the next, because Robin used Thunder twice in a row on Mario in the trailer.

Bottom Line: I'm going to assume it is safe to assume that at least each special (up, down, whatever) is a different element, but does each use or three change the level of the tome, or are they all custom moves with possibly the ultimate form (EX: Thoron) being always there and requires a charge or a certain number of uses of the weaker tomes to be used?

I'll just explode with hype again if Ghirahim gets in! He's been my most wanted newcomer since day one along with Vaati (but not both, that's a bit overkill lol), even more than Robin and Keldeo!

I'll just explode with hype again if Ghirahim gets in! He's been my most wanted newcomer since day one along with Vaati (but not both, that's a bit overkill lol), even more than Robin and Keldeo!

This is how I feel about Lucina and Chibi-Robo.

Because Chibi deserves it. Just like Pikmin did in Brawl. Except Olimar got in because Pikmin was by Miyamoto.

i am legitimately surprised and for the first time actually kinda jazzed because playing robin looks dope as fuck

Better have different hairstyles and voices for alternates, or this will suck.

Can I say…TOLD YOU THAT GEMATSU WAS FULL OF IT!!!

On a positive note, Lucina and Robin!? YES! Hopefully Chrom is playable too! But I won't be upset if he's not, which it appears to be the case.

He will.
The star shall not be released till the game is out! ^_^

OH MY GOOOOOOOOD

BK4Vv8w.jpg

Oh. I thought Sakurai was dumping clones entirely. :/

Captain Falcon was added too, Naughx. I saw it.

Let's hope that they differ.

I'm eating my words for breakfast.

BUT WHY IS AWAKENING GETTING MORE THAN 1 REP THIS IS RIDICULOUS WTF

because awakening is popular lmao

Without it's sales, we probably wouldn't get more than 2 reps.

Yeah, she is, it seems.

Also, finally some Ike footage, even if it's just a little bit. Yaaay. :D

Oh yeah, and since Avatar and Lucina are playable and Chrom is in the Final Smash... Frederick for assist trophy?! :D MAKE IT HAPPEN SAKURAI, GIMME MY FAVORITE KNIGHT. :D

Oh, but one thing...

screen-9.jpg

Why does Ike look like a midget here? I know he's hunched over a bit, but still, he shouldn't be THAT small compared to Avatar and Marth. >.> And I kinda wish he wasn't standing in the same default stance as in Brawl, as it's closer to PoR Ike than the way he stands in RD. But I'm nitpicking. Ike is Ike and I love Ike. :3

So Chrom might not be in.
Tiiiiime to make a Mii of him and to have Freddie. :D

Well, one of Robin's screenshots shows this:

d7cIpEG.jpg

I'm guessing Lucina is her own character and Chrom is the alt?

Theeere he is...:D

I'm glad and all that Captain Falcon is back and we have Marth, Ike, Lucina, Robin, AND Chrom in the game representing Fire Emblem, which is pretty damn cool considering FE has as many reps as the Mario series, but where are my Ice Climbers? They need to be confirmed. ;n;

also this

I know. -.-
They were difficult to program is why that we didn't have them in Brawl.

It's more likely that Chrom is simply a part of Robin's Final Smash.

Easy come. Easy go.

Wow, RIP Gematsu. Looks like he was either completely wrong or only partially right.

And WTF with two Awakening characters. That's the only thing keeping me from saying "I've never been so glad to be so wrong. "

Oh well. At least we got the good Captain.

DLV already said sometime ago about Samurai Goroh being an asset trophy. Of course he'll be in. But...we have seen nothing related to Mother at all, yet. Items, music, etc. Nothing.

Blue fire for Ike.

BLUE FIRE FOR IKE.

BLUE FIRE FOR IKE!!! :D

I'M SO HYPED NOW I COULD JUST EXPLOOOODE!!!

WE12.jpg

f759f8.jpg
Yune: *Giggle* It's for the best.

FE gets the recognition it deserves!

The characters are varied enough for me to be satisfied (i.e. more than just swords, and females <3) but what does it for me is 4 characters! Good day to love FE.

And suck it FE haters ;)

Hee hee...
When I went to the demo saturday, several little kids were talking about Awakening.
Putting the Casual feature was brilliant as that saved the series from dying.

I know Lucina making it in is a big deal...

tumblr_n8pqlecYZR1rmzb08o3_1280.gif

...but did anyone else appreciate the fact that Captain Falcon has to be super freaking manly to be wrecking Lucina like this?
tumblr_n8pqlecYZR1rmzb08o1_1280.gif
tumblr_n8pqlecYZR1rmzb08o2_1280.gif

But...he never picked up anything heavy.

I just found out the news. When I found out Lucina was playable my response was

Also is Chrom a assist?

He should at least be that.

Man, all those female playable characters:

- Peach
- Zelda
- Sheik
- Samus
- Zero Suit Samus
- Rosalina & Luma
- Palutena
- Villager
- Wii Fit Trainer
- Mii Fighter
- Lucina
- Robin

The original 12 for the upcoming "Super Bash Sisters"!

Yeah, peeps who wanted more females have got their wish. lol

On a somewhat related note, I've decided I'm totally dumping Marth from my list of characters to play for female Robin. ^^ Why use Marth anymore when I never liked him in the first place, but I like Robin? Bubbye Marth!

Oh yeah, and how about this? FE is the only franchise so far that got more than one newcomer in this game! Way to go, FE! :D

I can see that. rofl

Noooooo...! Why has Lucina got the same moveset as Marth!?!? I thought she learnt how to fight from 'her father', aka Chrom, which is why her style is apparently unique. Yeah, Chrom is Marth's descendant and that, but what are the chances of getting it right across a few centuries? Come on; at least have your own idle animation. Go Captain Falcon! Don't be nerfed this time.

Robin is more believable, I quite like him/her. I imagine he's going to be like Zelda, where you can drop/change between sword and magic (and preferably without the lag).

Is why that he SHOULD have been in...or that he's hidden in the game. No reveal, yet.

In my opinion that's what makes him so likely. Smash is, in part, about advertising. We got a new Golden Sun, Punch Out, and Sin & Punishment because characters appeared as Assist trophies from those games. Roy was shown off in Melee before his game was even released. And who in the west had even heard of Fire Emblem at that point? Now it almost has five reps! FZero and Earthbound were never that huge commercially yet they've been staples of Smash since the very start. Really the fact that Xenoblade is a highly acclaimed game that didn't manage to sell well and is still getting a sequel means Shulk is more likely than ever. Don't you think Nintendo would like to push the Xenoblade IP?Show off the characters and highlight its importance in time for the new sequel to come out. Smash Bros is a fantastic way of advertising characters and franchises and Nintendo has used it to this effect in the past.

You got to admit.
It was actually pretty offensive to put in that many reps since most people never even heard, or known the series before SSBM game came out.

OMGZ! I just saw the news now that I'm off work. This made not just my relatively crappy day, but my whole next few months! I'm so happy! I really wanted at least one of these characters in; to get two and somewhat of the third is just fantastic! I never expected FE to get more than 3 characters! BEST DAY EVAR!!!!!!!!! 8D

At this point, I don't care if no one else I want gets in; I will be completely happy with the roster the way it is now. Only problem is I don't know who to main now. It'll probably be half the cast by the time it's released. XD

5kfm.jpg

Ouuuuu. -.-

[spoiler=Funny Chromabuse pictures are my way of coping]e7c.png444.png9b5.jpga6f.gif01e.jpg6c9.jpg

I laughed.

Why is Marth even in the game? We already have a fast Fire Emblem sword user in Lucina, and they even look alike. They could've given Marth's spot to Snake instead.

He is the mascot of Fire Emblem.

Because Marth is sort of the face of Fire Emblem

Yeah, Marth is the face of FE and has the most games in the series counting remakes. Plus he's a two-time Smash veteran.

^

And, I'm a bit disappointed about Lucina being a clone of Marth, but since when did I ever like her?

No one really cared about her anyway.
Ha ha...
The designers proved it by half assing her.

Also, Ban, we're posting so much because we're HYPED!! I mean ROBIN AND FOUR FE REPS. ^^

I'm not after a certain someone Jotari said about the series not being known before SSBM. Although, some of us were told by family. Like me a year before SSBM came out.
Still...4 reps...
It shouldn't have got that many. -.-
Edited by Bimbo

Isaac and K. Rool are unlikely as far as I can tell. K. Rool and Golden Sun haven't been well known in forever. K. Rool's last DK appearance was Barrel Blast. Barrel Blast. I'd like both to join, but I don't see it. Dixie is ehh.

His last appearance was Super Mario Sluggers actually. Which is actually more recent than Captain Falcon's most recent appearance.

It's kinda funny: people used the recency "argument" against Diddy pre-Brawl, since he wasn't in Jungle Beat, that he couldn't be in Brawl. Look how that turned out.

Dunno how kindly y'all will think of this (given that half the internet is crucifying any supporters), but I still think that Gematsu leak is legit, for more reasons than one, and that Shulk and the Chorus Kids are playable in the game. But I guess we'll find out next month.

On another note, how do you guys feel about DLC? Initially I didn't care, but after Chrom, who was my most wanted after Megaman, got dis-confirmed, I really hope we get 4-8 more characters.

The fact that he hinted Dark Pit to being in SOME capacity, gives me some hope others like Chrom and Mewtwo will get lucky and implemented similarly (the former, I'd imagine, would require the least amount of effort--given that he has a 3D model).

Edited by Mugen Wing

I personally think DLC is not happening. Chrom's staying on the sidelines.

...I almost think of it akin to the Pokemon art director.

"Suppose we sell a Pokemon for 100 yen, then we must prepare something that is worthy of that 100 yen," says art director Ken Sugimori.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Thank god I had some FE tracks a year before SSBM's release as well as reading about Dark Dragon FE1 on RPgamer. ^_^

Never knew that it was popular in Japan for over 10 years as I/some have thought of it to just be an ordinary RPG series. Let's hope that Mother gets three reps since FE got it's treat.

-Ness

-Paula

-Lucas

Edited by Bimbo

i hope we get the awakening treatment, where we're shipped a 100% complete game and then get bonus stuff later as dlc

Well you know Lucina killed any hopes for Roy and Robin for Isaac sadly. I don't see them doing two magic swordsmen even if Isaac would work completely different.

I'm still mixed on this completely. I like Robin and Lucina although I really wanted Chrom, Isaac, Shulk (who I think is in) and Roy. I also wanted Sonic to have you know an actual cool moveset that shows the flare he is known for. Instead its uninspired drivel again. Unlike Megaman, Pacman and in Brawl Snake completely feel like they truly came from their home series.

I love all the characters thus far though I just have my odd mixed feelings and complaints

Edited by JediSwordSaint

No more magical swordsman? No Shulk!

Shulk and Ridley are my last two hopes, then this game can be perfect (IMO). I still think they have a decent chance of getting in, but...

Oh my god, the anticipation is killing me.

Well you know Lucina killed any hopes for Roy and Robin for Isaac sadly. I don't see them doing two magic swordsmen even if Isaac would work completely different.

I'm still mixed on this completely. I like Robin and Lucina although I really wanted Chrom, Isaac, Shulk (who I think is in) and Roy. I also wanted Sonic to have you know an actual cool moveset that shows the flare he is known for. Instead its uninspired drivel again. Unlike Megaman, Pacman and in Brawl Snake completely feel like they truly came from their home series.

I love all the characters thus far though I just have my odd mixed feelings and complaints

If it's any consolation, Isaac seems to be one of the top candidates for "newcomers" to Project M.

And don't give up hope for our boy Roy! Sure, I think him getting in the main game is unlikel, since 5 FE characters seems a bit excesdive. However, he seems like a good DLC character.

If I had my way, I'm not sure how I would choose between Vaati and Ghirahim. I'd probably flip a coin or something. lol But the remaining others would be Dixie Kong, Ridley, and Shulk. Dixie because she's just so damn cute and the other two because it looks like a lot of people really want them. Plus Ridley is probably the only reasonable choice for a Metroid newcomer.

Edited by Anacybele

If I had my way, I'm not sure how I would choose between Vaati and Ghirahim. I'd probably flip a coin or something. lol But the remaining others would be Dixie Kong, Ridley, and Shulk. Dixie because she's just so damn cute and the other two because it looks like a lot of people really want them. Plus Ridley is probably the only reasonable choice for a Metroid newcomer.

Not Chibi, Ana? :P

i hope we get the awakening treatment, where we're shipped a 100% complete game and then get bonus stuff later as dlc

This would be the ideal approach. Nintendo has proven to be really cool in regards to DLC, it just frustrates me that Sakurai and other developers shy away from using it.

@shinpichu Why stop at 5? I'd totally support FE getting 6 reps.

Edited by Mugen Wing

If it's any consolation, Isaac seems to be one of the top candidates for "newcomers" to Project M.

And don't give up hope for our boy Roy! Sure, I think him getting in the main game is unlikel, since 5 FE characters seems a bit excesdive. However, he seems like a good DLC character.

Last I heard. PM was wanting to make Lyn and Knuckles

Chibi-Robo is the tiny thing in her avatar, and he had at least 3 games. (Sorry if I'm wrong.) His most recent one was an eShop exclusive last year, and he'd be an interesting, albeit unlikely, addition into the game. I wouldn't mind, but what I really want to see is:

"Squirtle slides in!" (You know, everyone thinks he's cut, and how can you deny something so cute? Vote Squirtle-Jigglypuff 2014!)

Nintendo would be stupid to do new character DLC. One of the main draws for this series at advertisements is "Who's gonna be in the roster???" And If Mega Man, Pacman, Palutena and Wii Fit Trainer were Brawl DLC, I can bet you there'd be considerably less hype for this new game.

Maybe they can do cut characters (Roy, Mewtwo, Pichu, etc.) maybe??? And skins are fine I think.