SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

It could have been then that they only respawn when Robin gets KO'd.

That would have been crap, considering they rely on Elwind for his/her recovery.

Edited by shadowofchaos

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no I missed the coversation about my new favorite smash yuri ship.

I'm hoping both the Mother boys stay in, the series really deserves the representation. The only character I really want cut is like ROB I guess,

Dixie and KRool getting spots would be cool, I don't know how you could differentiate Dixie from Diddy but I'm sure it's totally possible.

Ridley has been asked for so much it'd be such a missed opportunity on Sakurai's part.

I'd love Girahim, maybe Toon Zelda?

Dixie has different abilities than Diddy, though, doesn't she? The only game I've played that has her in it is a DK Bongo game on Wii, but I've heard that in the Donkey Kong Country games, she can fly using her ponytail and stuff. I would totally play more DKC games, but the one I HAVE played was really hard and I heard that the newer ones are really hard too. I mean, I found the original Donkey Kong Country to be harder than the dang Super Mario Bros. games and Super Mario World!

The DKC games are all legit difficult. I'd argue the Wii and Wii U games are among the hardest of their respective gens.

Time to make a few predictions of my own.

For starters, since we're on the topic, I think the only cut will be Snake (excluding Ivysaur and Squirtle, who are already confirmed to be gone). Between Sheik getting his grenades, ZSS getting a final smash that functions like his, and the fact that we haven't seen a reveal trailer for him yet (Sonic was the only veteran to get one, and, if Snake returns, it stands to reason that he'd be the only other veteran to get one), I think Sakurai was unable to get the rights to use him again.

Lucas and Wolf are the next most likely, but they both have more reason to stay than Toon Link and Lucario, so since those two are already confirmed I think Lucas and Wolf are safe, too.

ROB is way too unique and too important to be gone. The guy basically saved the video game industry in the west, and he has a unique moveset, too.

As for remaining newcomers, I think there will be just three (Sakurai did say he's getting close to the bottom of the barrel): Dixie Kong, Ridley, and Mewtwo.

They're all highly-demanded characters from underrepresented franchises (yes, even Pokemon is underrepresented due to having less reps than Brawl. Pokemon is nearly as big as Mario in terms of sales and recognizably, despite being more than a decade younger). Dixie Kong is seeing a resurgence in her home series with her appearance in Tropical Freeze, Sakurai is constantly trolling us with the Pyrosphere stage without showing Ridley, and Mewtwo was the only non-clone cut between Melee and Brawl and remains one of the all-time most popular Pokemon (and has a boost in relevance in his home series, too, due to being the only Pokemon besides Charizard with two mega forms).

Shulk will be in the game as an assist trophy. So will Isaac. People say that Smash can advertise a series, but that worked out fine for assist trophies in Brawl (Isaac, Little Mac, and Saki all saw new games in their series following their inclusion as assist trophies), so I don't see either of them being playable. Advertising Shulk for Xenoblade Chronicles X wouldn't even make much sense anyway since that game is a spiritual sequel and not a continuation of the Xenoblade story and Shulk probably won't even appear. As for Isaac, Dark Dawn's poor sales mean that Golden Sun is sadly likely to be dead so he won't be playable, either.

That would have been crap, considering they rely on Elwind for his/her recovery.

Yeah. That's why it's good that it was confirmed otherwise. Yeah there could have been the possibility that Robin spins his/her sword like a helicopter, but that goes a bit, perhaps quite a bit into "stretching it" territory.

I'm not so sure about Shulk, but Isaac failing to appear as an Assist Trophy thus far seems suspicious to me.

I more or less agree with everything else that Alertcircuit and ClevelandSteve said, though. Ridley and Mewtwo especially are in such high demand that I think it's almost impossible for them not to show up playable.

Edited by BANRYU

Yeah. That's why it's good that it was confirmed otherwise. Yeah there could have been the possibility that Robin spins his/her sword like a helicopter, but that goes a bit, perhaps quite a bit into "stretching it" territory.

Well, seeing how Robin had telekinesis in the trailer, they could make him float upwards or something. They could make it a bit worse than the Elwind boost.

Anyway, I worry about the lack of recovery without Elwind. It may prove to be terrible for extended battles, because the opponent can easily take advantage of it...

Well, I don't think anyone really posted the pic of the day yet. And it has Peach in it, so I'll do it.

daily-en.jpg?date=1405619349385

"We have Nintendogs plus cats! How could we forget them!! Just FYI, there are five dog breeds in this game. This was me, reporting from the 3DS-exclusive stage, Living Room."

YAY PEACH.

I just noticed Pit's expression. I like how he's looking all "DAMN IT, SHUT UP YOU'RE SO ANNOYING." I wouldn't blame him, since as I said, I found that taunt to be the most annoying thing ever.

Wow. You just love to make Peach-lovers feel bad, don't you.

I come home and the first thing that I see is "Peach is annoying." WOW.

Edited by Carter

“Lucina uses the same techniques as Marth, a fighter with whom I’m sure most of you are already familiar. I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical.

However, what sets Lucina apart is the fact that the strength of her attacks is uniform along the blade. Marth’s playstyle emulates the elegant swordplay of a fencer by dealing more damage when he strikes with the tip of his blade, but the damage Lucina deals is evened out. Thus, I think that Lucina will be much easier than Marth for novice players to play with.

Even less reason for Marth to be in. Even an FE character like Micaiah could have worked out better.

Edited by Chiki

Pit obviously represents the Peach haters in that pic, who can't appreciate the adorableness of the character when they see it.

Oddly enough, if you squint, it kinda looks like Pit is smiling.

EDIT: I think we can expect a cameo from Sakurai's cat in the Nintendogs + Cats stage.

Edited by Jave

Speaking of the most annoying things in SSB, does anybody else hate Ike's "Prepare yourself"? I find it to be even more horrible than scratching nails over a chalkboard.

Edited by Vicious Sal

I would totally play more DKC games, but the one I HAVE played was really hard and I heard that the newer ones are really hard too. I mean, I found the original Donkey Kong Country to be harder than the dang Super Mario Bros. games and Super Mario World!

The difficulty makes it even more rewarding when you manage to beat the game. Damn, I can't describe how awesome I felt when I finally beat this awful, disgusting Toxic Tower level.

Isaac failing to appear as an Assist Trophy thus far seems suspicious to me.

It'd be interesting to know how many of the Assist Trophys from Brawl appeared in the E3 demo. I think I'm going to do a little research as soon as I have time.

I'm already hyped about Robins inclusion. If Isaac would actually be revealed to be playable, I guess even all of you could be able to hear my screams of joy. x3

Speaking of the most annoying thins in SSB, does anybody else hate Ike's "Prepare yourself"? I find it to be even more horrible than scratching nails over a chalkboard.

I already hate everything about Ike in Smash, cause all of the people I can play Brawl with main him. Following this thread since Smash 4 was announced also made that considerably worse.

Edited by Nova

I' not so sure about Shulk, but Isaac failing to appear as an Assist Trophy thus far seems suspicious to me.

Keep in mind that Isaac was one of the hidden ATs in Brawl. I doubt we should read into him not having been shown than we should into Venusaur or Blastoise not having been shown as Pokeball 'mons.

I can understand what your saying but also know that Dark Pit is by far different then other "Dark" Nintendo characters. He actually has his own personality and motives more akin to an anti-hero

So does Blood Falcon.

I really don't want Blood Falcon to be playable, I'd rather have a unique F-Zero second rep, but I'd be delighted to no ends if Blood Falcon got a glorified alternative costume treatment; AKA, doesn't get a spot in the roster, but gets difference voice and/or taunts.

I know Dark Pit isn't like Dark Link or whatever, but really, REALLY, he'd be a wasted slot. I know he could use Pit's moves from Brawl, but aren't his main weapons CLAWS?? Pit didn't have any claws in Brawl.

Plus, to be honest, I think having a third KI rep would feel a lot like Sakurai is glorifying his precious franchises, and Brawl had enough of it.

Personally, I wish that, instead of caring so much of his own games, he gave more opportunities to obscure series like MOTHER or F-Zero. I've been dreaming of a proper MOTHER second rep and a simple F-Zero second rep ever since the announcement of Brawl: these series deserve it as much as Kid Icarus, they are milestones of Nintendo history! MOTHER is praised as an amazing series, it's critically acclaimed by many, and F-Zero, other than being composed of 3 excellent main games, was one of the SNES' launch titles and was one of the first games to use mode 7. And not just these: Metroid really deserves that third rep, so does DK.

I just hope these titles get the same love FE got: getting recognition in Smash leads to more recognition to the original games (except for maybe F-Zero and that's why it deserves a second rep and more than a floating platform stage).

I know Sakurai's entitled to do what he wants with his own games though, so in the end, it's up to him: I know I'm hoping for too much and that we'll still get one rep per obscure, forgotten franchise, and the usual 2 Metroid reps, etc.

And of course, I am expecting Dark Pit to take a slot in the roster, oh hell I do, even he's on my not-wanted at all list.

Speaking of the most annoying thins in SSB, does anybody else hate Ike's "Prepare yourself"? I find it to be even more horrible than scratching nails over a chalkboard.

I wouldn't say it's nails-on-a-chalkboard horrible, but as I said a while back, all of Ike's lines are just acted so monotone. One could argue that characters like Peach and Pit have annoying lines, but in a way they fit their characters. Ike is just lifeless, which is why I'm not against him being recasted.

Wow, and people think I can't accept others' opinions...

Anyway.

Even less reason for Marth to be in. Even an FE character like Micaiah could have worked out better.

...What. Marth has been in Smash since Melee and is the face of the FE series. Not to mention he's popular in Japan. If anything, Lucina should've been the one excluded for someone more interesting, like Ephraim. :/

I wouldn't say it's nails-on-a-chalkboard horrible, but as I said a while back, all of Ike's lines are just acted so monotone. One could argue that characters like Peach and Pit have annoying lines, but in a way they fit their characters. Ike is just lifeless, which is why I'm not against him being recasted.

I was being sarcastic there. ;] Just to give an impersonation of a frequent poster here who seems to bash other people their favourite characters, but can't take any criticism in return.

Although I do agree that his lines are rather monotonous.

What?? You people have no love for bad voice acting... you make Ryo Hazuki said...

I love "prepare yourself..."! I spam it with the Wiimote speaker, I joke about it with my sis when we play PoR/RD, and RNG screwed Ikes are bound to get a "Prepar Urself" forge!

Maybe it's just me, but it's super funny and if he got that again in SSB4 I'll make everyone prepare themselves. "I fight for my friends" is still ridiculous and surreal, but "prepare yourself..." is the sound of legends and Wiimotes ready to annoy people.

Or maybe you're just trying to tick off Anacybele >_>