SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I honestly could come up with a Chrom move set that doesn't emulate Marth or Ike.

Like for example his up b being that buzzsaw slash in the arena cut scene. You hold in place for a few moments then launch spinning death in a direction you pick.

You could have incorporated his more sliding slashes for a more beat down rush moveset, along with maybe some of his reclass options. (Bows, Lances, Axes) using the pair up system for a couple b moves or A moves with his various possible love interests.

But this is mere rambling. I'm happy with what we got but I'm still sad Chrom isn't there. At least he got a cool fs cameo despite me not playing with items more then half the time.

I could too, in fact I did.

But the fact remains it takes significantly more effort to make a moveset for Chrom and even then it's not as interesting as even a basic Robin moveset.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ got me there, as I said I'm happy with what we got. I'm just tired of the Chrom bashing and saying he has no uniqueness.

I still find it funny that Marth takes more inspiration from Jugdral then his own games (its really cool mind you) but it still amuses me

Who was Chrom bashing?

Anyway, even if Chrom did get different moves from Marth and Ike, he'd still just be as Sakurai said. Another plain sword user. With blue hair.

It seems to be a tradition of sorts. But I wish they would stray away from it a bit more often. Blue-haired swordsmen is starting to get rather boring. Hector is the only one with blue hair that doesn't have swords as his primary weapon and even then, he still gains them later. As far as I know.

Edited by Anacybele

I legitimately don't see why a character ending up as an Assist Trophy or a Final Smash makes people so angry. Little Mac and Palutena started out like that and now they're playable.

It seems to be a tradition of sorts. But I wish they would stray away from it a bit more often. Blue-haired swordsmen is starting to get rather boring. Hector is the only one with blue hair that doesn't have swords as his primary weapon and even then, he still gains them later. As far as I know.

Someone forgot Ephraim. Funny enough he and hector rank on my least favorite lords

Edit: You forgot Alm

Edited by JediSwordSaint

Yeah, hat's a good point too. Though sadly, Keldeo's future chances aren't affected by him being a Pokeball mon. So far, there's never been a case where a Pokemon that was previously a Pokeball mon got promoted to playable. :(

all of them are Ephraim, Ike, Chrom, Hector, Sigurd, Seliph, Marth correct me if I missed any.

I consider Ephraim to have green hair. It always looked more green than blue to me. Although oddly enough, one of his official arts has it more blue. o.O

I consider Ephraim to have green hair. It always looked more green than blue to me. Although oddly enough, one of his official arts has it more blue. o.O

Yeah I guess so.

^ got me there, as I said I'm happy with what we got. I'm just tired of the Chrom bashing and saying he has no uniqueness.

I still find it funny that Marth takes more inspiration from Jugdral then his own games (its really cool mind you) but it still amuses me

It feels like a very patched together moveset overall. He took his up smash from his own game and in Brawl they changed Shield Breaker to look more like his own thrusts. I'd go as far to say his A combo his based on his up and down slashes though they could just as easily be generic attacks. His forward Smash was taken from Roy's Sealed Sword animation though it just as easily could have inspired that attack since the game was unreleased. As you said he takes a lot of inspiration from Jugdral too most noticeably his Dolphin Slash being the Swordmaster's critical. Critical Hit, Counter and Dancing Blade (Brave Sword) are all based off of recurring traits of the series (though Brave Weapons being something recurring outside of Jugdral probably wasn't established yet and it takes a lot from Astra too). And yet in all of that they didn't see fit to use the shield of seals once.

Edited by Jotari

So onto robin , as I can see from the trailer their tomes break? and so does their sword.

Yes enough uses of a tome will cause them to break and have to "recharge" same with the Levin sword. Using its smash attacks or more powerful air attacks will cause it to break and revert you to a Bronze Sword.

Edited by JediSwordSaint

...well, this is a shame. =(

Though I guess being an Assist Trophy is a lot better than not being in at all. Also, quite a few playable characters (King Dedede, Charizard, Little Mac, Palutena) were in non-playable character positions (like stage, Pokeball, Assist Trophy, and Final Smash cameos) before they finally appeared as playable characters, so maybe Takamaru might also follow suite in a future Smash Bros.

I'm still rather disappointed, especially with Sakurai himself saying he'd be "reviving retro characters" in SSB4, and me hyping up Takamaru (the coolest retro character IMO) a lot as a result since that's the only hint I had to go by regarding SSB4 newcomers way back then. I feel a bit lied to seeing how the "retro newcomers" we do have (Little Mac and Palutena) aren't really retro anymore and have already been revived significantly with the new games they've gotten in their series (Punch-Out Wii and Kid Icarus Uprising). And I actually happened to buy and get into Samurai Warriors 3 last week and really get to enjoy Takamaru and Murasame Castle Mode there. Well, I guess Takamaru has already been revived in a sense with Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3, Nintendo Land, and his original game's international VC release.

Edited by Randoman

Yes enough uses of a tome will cause them to break and have to "recharge" same with the Levin sword. Using its smash attacks or more powerful air attacks will cause it to break and revert you to a Bronze Sword.

Thanks for telling me

...well, this is a shame. =(

Though I guess being an Assist Trophy is a lot better than not being in at all. Also, quite a few playable characters (King Dedede, Charizard, Little Mac, Palutena) were in non-playable character positions (like stage, Pokeball, Assist Trophy, and Final Smash cameos) before they finally appeared as playable characters, so maybe Takamaru might also follow suite in a future Smash Bros.

I'm still rather disappointed, especially with Sakurai himself saying he'd be "reviving retro characters" in SSB4, and me hyping up Takamaru (the coolest retro character IMO) a lot as a result since that's the only hint I had to go by regarding SSB4 newcomers way back then. I feel a bit lied to seeing how the "retro newcomers" we do have (Little Mac and Palutena) aren't really retro anymore and have already been revived significantly with the new games they've gotten in their series (Punch-Out Wii and Kid Icarus Uprising). And I actually happened to buy and get into Samurai Warriors 3 last week and really get to enjoy Takamaru and Murasame Castle Mode there. Well, I guess Takamaru has already been revived in a sense with Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3, Nintendo Land, and his original game's international VC release.

I know how you're feeling! I still have hope for a new Murasamejo game, like what happened with Punch-Out!! in Brawl.

I wanted Takamaru, but I won't be disappointed. I honestly could only want Shulk now to be happy. Shulk could be the only newcomer left, but I wouldn't care. There are still characters like Impa, Mona, or Blaziken I could want, but it's never happening.

I could too, in fact I did.

But the fact remains it takes significantly more effort to make a moveset for Chrom and even then it's not as interesting as even a basic Robin moveset.

Jotari, I know I don't mind people using my videos... but that Olivia vs. Pavise General video quality made me a little miffed.

(Please don't take this seriously)

Aegis/Pavise special move as a reflector would be interesting.

Meh. He's a Final Smash now. I think I've moved on.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Leaks aren't always true but some are.

The gematsu leak is an example of this they were right about Rosalina but not chrom as hes not playable.

Who exactly is upset?

whos upset ?

A lot of people, lol. Not here, but look at Miiverse and Smashboards.

Lemme put this in perspective. What would be your reaction if Ike was an assist?

When I learned Isaac was an AT in Brawl I think I was reasonably pissed same as Saki and starfy fans

Ike being downgraded to assist trophy would be a much different scenario than Takamaru being upgraded (as it essentially is) to assist trophy.

While I understand wanting him playable, Takamaru fans should really be happy about this more than anything. Assist trophy is the next best thing and it puts him in better position to be playable in Smash 5. Look at Little Mac.

Like, Lyn is my favorite FE lord and if there's anyone in FE who stood any chance that I'd like to see playable it's her, but since I knew that the chances of that were basically nil (and she'd be another sword user, which poses obvious problems), I'm happy that she at least came back as an assist trophy.

The gematsu leak is an example of this they were right about Rosalina but not chrom as hes not playable.

Hahaha.

Wow.

Gematsu never said anything about Rosalina. :/

However, he was right about like seven newcomers. That's why people put so much stock in it. But I didn't. As I said, I predicted Robin for the Awakening rep rather than Chrom.