SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I forgot to ask... What exactly qualifies as an "alternate costume" and what is just a "palette swap"?

Kinda a stupid question, but I never really understood which was which. Because Ness's black shirt with Mr. Saturn, and then Link's Skyward Sword design thingy. Are those just palette swaps?

Would today's Pic of the Day count as a "alternate costume"?

Imagine a piece of clay. Everything you can do to the clay that would only involve coloring it would be a palette swap, regardless if you're adding patterns or whatever. And, as said in the discussion about wire frame Mac: Transparent is a "color" as well.

Now, everything that would change the shape of the clay, that's an alternate costume.

About Sexy Suit Samus: Is going to the beach in your country also rated T for teens, because children could see women wearing a bikini? Geez, the commotion that is made about a little bit of skin is just absurd.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The number of people who want my mother as a playable character is also astounding.

Shin's mom for Project M.

Nova's got the costume thing right. Palette swaps are just if things are colored differently, alternate costumes are if the actual model is changed/adjusted.

...I do NOT like this. That outfit is far too revealing for a game like this. CHILDREN will be playing it. Samus looks like she's in nothing but a sports bra and boxer brief underwear!

Now I won't be surprised if parents take the game away or forbid their kids from getting it after seeing this.

...All this outrage over an outfit you might see on actual women at the gym on a daily basis? Samus could be seen naked in the original SSB if you tried hard enough, in lieu of seeing the skeletons of everyone else when hit by electricity. And that game is E rated!

This is an outfit from two of her games, and those games are both E rated as well. So Nintendo and the ESRB both believe this is appropriate for kids. Plus everyone's always been able to get upskirt shots of Peach, Zelda, and now Rosalina and Palutena and that isn't even notable enough for anyone to bring it up at all. Parents are not going to judge the game by a character who isn't even on the box art, let alone the content that's only perverted if you try to make it that way. Like others have said, this is only slightly less clothes than Wii Fit Trainer and less suggestive than her normal Zero Suit.

About Sexy Suit Samus: Is going to the beach in your country also rated T for teens, because children could see women wearing a bikini? Geez, the commotion that is made about a little bit of skin is just absurd.

Not that they are going to really know or even care for that matter. As they do allow boys in girls rooms if they're very young. Same principle. They do this all the time for Japanese younger viewers only cuz their rules are different from ours. Plus many boys think that girls are icky around that age. :D

Edited by Bimbo

Metroid's popularity might not stand out if you look at it in terms of sales but that's because it's had seriously unfortunate luck pretty much every single time they've had to try and release a console game. It does still have a rather large fan base though and something that makes it stand out among Nintendo's big series is its age, coming out the same year as Zelda. So even if it hasn't done brilliant;y sales wise, it's still a long running series with a large fan base and was originally made by Nintendo themselves (as in not one of the companies they own) unlike most of the series in Smash.

Some hilarious trivia when it comes to age ratings. The sixties movie of Romeo and Julliet featured a very brief nude scene for the fifteen year old actress playing Julliet (one of the only adaptaions that actually used someone close to the characters age). For some reason it was perfectly legal to flaunt her body for the world to see but the actress herself wasn't allowed to attend the premier because she was under age. Apperantly she wasn't considered old enough to see her self naked.

Really, sexiness is in the eye of the beholder, Ana. There's a possibility you're just jealous. *ducks to avoid getting hit*

Um, jealous of what, exactly?

As for women in bikini swimsuits, obviously they wear them more for swimming than sexual appeal. :/

Edited by Anacybele

Some hilarious trivia when it comes to age ratings. The sixties movie of Romeo and Julliet featured a very brief nude scene for the fifteen year old actress playing Julliet (one of the only adaptaions that actually used someone close to the characters age). For some reason it was perfectly legal to flaunt her body for the world to see but the actress herself wasn't allowed to attend the premier because she was under age. Apperantly she wasn't considered old enough to see her self naked.

The one with Zac Efron's 60s lookalike playing Romeo? I never knew that.

Kinda a stupid question, but I never really understood which was which. Because Ness's black shirt with Mr. Saturn, and then Link's Skyward Sword design thingy. Are those just palette swaps?

Within the confines of Smash Wario's WarioWare and standard Plumber's outfit are examples of alternate costumes because there are model differences like the hat and whatnot. Palette swaps are what every smash character has had since 64 where it's the same base model, but there is a different coloration.

Ness' Mr Saturn Shirt is technically a palette swap since there is no change to the base model of Ness. It's hard to say if Link's Skyloft outfit is a alternate costume, but since he still has his trademark hat and the outfit is still his tunic, it's technically a palette swap. If he lost the hat and the clothes was more exact to his in-game Skyloft outfit, then I'd say he has an alternate costume.

So far for Smash 4, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer has alternate costumes due to their different genders, Little Mac has his track suit, and ZS Samus has her Zero Mission outfit

As for women in bikini swimsuits, obviously they wear them more for swimming than sexual appeal. :/

The intention of the wearer is irrelevant. A woman in a bikini on the beach shows as much skin (well, more actually) than ZSS in her costume. Children will be able to see that. Does that make beaches and swimming pools unappropriate for children to be there?

And actually, no one would stop a woman from dressing up in hotpants and a short top in public, which isn't any different from Samus' outfit.

Um, jealous of what, exactly?

Wait so....wearing a bikini to go swimming is E-rated, but wearing a bikini for any other purpose is M-rated?

Wait so....wearing a bikini to go swimming is E-rated, but wearing a bikini for any other purpose is M-rated?

I never said that, I wouldn't have any Smash females going around in bikini swimsuits either because it would still be ONLY for sexual appeal. And even then, use for a swimming-related scenario, such as the Awakening beach DLC, is still plain fanservice in my eyes sometimes. Women don't typically go to the beach or pool in bikinis just to show off their skin. I'm sure some do though, unfortunately, and I would hate for a child to see it and get the idea that it's perfectly okay and normal to flaunt around like that.

But beachwear is something that just can't be controlled because of how public beaches and pools are. Smash Bros CAN be controlled (no pun intended).

Edited by Anacybele

Women don't typically go to the beach or pool in bikinis just to show off their skin. I'm sure some do though, unfortunately, and I would hate for a child to see it and get the idea that it's perfectly okay and normal to flaunt around like that.

But beachwear is something that just can't be controlled because of how public beaches and pools are. Smash Bros CAN be controlled (no pun intended).

How deliciously naive.

Public beaches can, in fact be controlled. And I have indeed seen those who go out only to show skin and tan.

"SSB4: Can Somebody Please Think of the Children?"

"SSB4: Please Understand" edition.

Also can't forget cultural norm differences between Japan and the US. Don't like? Don't buy.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

How deliciously naive.

How about you not insult me?

Also can't forget cultural norm differences between Japan and the US. Don't like? Don't buy.

Why would I refuse to buy Smash just because of ONE outfit for a character that I won't even be using?

I don't exactly mind seeing a costume like this. Its a nice throwback to earlier Metroid games where you could see Samus in a skimpy outfit. I still find it in the realm of the decency since its just shorts and a bikini. Its fanservice yeah, but its not that over the top. If they threw Samus in a Judith (Tales of Vesperia) outfit then I could say they have a point, but right now I don't.

Anyway, we're just concerned about skin here, right? The intent is irrelevant. So, since ZSS isn't doing anything TOO bad, it's not the end of the world. ...Right?

Edited by Comet

Anyway, we're just concerned about skin here, right? The intent is irrelevant. So, since ZSS isn't doing anything TOO bad, it's not the end of the world. ...Right?

True, and I actually don't think this outfit is as bad as some of the ones in Awakening (namely Tharja's and Tiki's). So yeah, you're right.

Edited by Anacybele

I feel like this all could have been avoided if Samus just had smaller boobs.

This too. I knew this guy awhile back who drew a pic of Samus with a different design, where she had MUCH shorter hair, smaller breasts, and less curves. She actually looked like a realistic and strong female warrior. I wasn't crazy about the hair, as a female doesn't need to have a masculine hairstyle to be a good warrior, but yeah. I would've imagined Samus to look closer to this drawing than her official design if I didn't know any better.

Edited by Anacybele

It still surprises me that her Other M cadet uniform wasn't considered but I guess that'd be more work. Then again maybe it is in and Sakurai has yet to reveal it.

Mom_youngsamus.jpg