SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I really hope Wii U doesnt get delayed. February release is like...worst case scenario kinda stuff. Should try getting it out before black friday ideally.

I'm afraid that it may be delayed after all.
They even said that this is the longest made Nintendo game in history. The only reason it is getting delayed...is because they are planning to put in the IC/DLC. Duh. Putting in just the stages and stuff shouldn't require this amount of time.
Edited by PuffPuff

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They even said that this is the longest made Nintendo game in history. The only reason it is getting delayed...is because they are planning to put in the IC/DLC. Duh. Putting in just the stages and stuff shouldn't require this amount of time.

What do you mean by longest made? As in production time? Because it's only been in production since late 2011. Plenty of Nintendo games dwarf that time, especially the likes of Mother 3 but even games that weren't stuck in development hell have pushed five years, like Skyward Sword.

I see what you're saying, but... not necessarily.

I do agree the main difference between the different Robin's is the build (along with the hair), but Smash doesn't always follow the way games flow.

Robin cannot use Nosferatu (as a Tactician / Grandmaster) though he does in Smash. Sakurai does not have to change the build, he can just change the hair. And plus, there are 5 different hairstyles for each gender, each build. There's already 8 hairstyles from Build 1 Male + Female alone, so it wouldn't even be a problem for Sakurai.

It could be that he possessed Darkgift in Smash. XD

Yay! ^~^

Shulk's got some fanservice. :D

I don't care how OP Shulk looks, I'm using him anyway. My friends and I don't play competitively anyway :P:

...And as to why that we should care for tier lists?
Having fun is all that it matters. :D

Is this going to be 3DS exclusive? Sakurai never mentioned that whether it would, or won't.

Edited by PuffPuff

What do you mean by longest made? As in production time? Because it's only been in production since late 2011. Plenty of Nintendo games dwarf that time, especially the likes of Mother 3 but even games that weren't stuck in development hell have pushed five years, like Skyward Sword.

No Smash Bros 4 only started development in March 2012 right after Kid Icarus Uprising was finished. They only announced it was planned in June 2011.

Besides, "past numbers" don't mean anything. Fun fact: Frozen had its concept adapted by Disney over 70 years ago. Just sayin'.

I looked at the Nester page again last night, and I noticed that in one of his 3DS pictures, he has the Gameboy stage in the background.

"Nester page"?

Anyway, interesting Smash Run pics. Though another reason I can't wait for the 3DS version to be released is so we can stop seeing so many pics on it. xP

I mean, what about other stuff we haven't seen, like the stage builder? Though at this point, since Sakurai has said NOTHING on it, I think we can assume that it's gone unless it's Wii U exclusive. :(

New Mystery of the Emblem Avatar would be a good alt for Robin (especially if they give them an eye patch, a shaved head and a tiara). They could also throw them into different classes like the classic Merric style mage garb to represent more of the series rather than just one game.

Sakurai doesn't usually like to make other characters into alternate costumes.

There are special cases though so. *shrugs*

Edited by JediSwordSaint

I bet stage builder will be Wii U exclusive, I hope they can expand a lot on it with the extra processing power.

Yeah, same here. I loved the stage bulider for what it was in Brawl, but if Smash Wii U expands upon it further, hell yeah. :D

No Smash Bros 4 only started development in March 2012 right after Kid Icarus Uprising was finished. They only announced it was planned in June 2011.

True, I underestimate the time frame but that makes Smash 4's development time even less. It's far from the "longest" game Nintendo ever made is development time is what PuffPuff was referring to.

Yeah, same here. I loved the stage bulider for what it was in Brawl, but if Smash Wii U expands upon it further, hell yeah. :D

Why do you say that? This is the first time we've seen anything from alternate costumes in an expanded form. We've seen clear attempts of palette swaps making new characters before with Daisy and Dark Link and if the leak is to be believes we should be seeing seven other characters for Bowser Jr's other costumes. All we know so far is prerelease stuff so saying Sakurai does or doesn't like something is completely conjecture, unless is has outright said somewhere that he doesn't like making other characters costumes and I missed it.

Why do you say that? This is the first time we've seen anything from alternate costumes in an expanded form. We've seen clear attempts of palette swaps making new characters before with Daisy and Dark Link and if the leak is to be believes we should be seeing seven other characters for Bowser Jr's other costumes. All we know so far is prerelease stuff so saying Sakurai does or doesn't like something is completely conjecture, unless is has outright said somewhere that he doesn't like making other characters costumes and I missed it.

Uh...forgive me for not understanding what you're trying to tell me here. I didn't say anything about costumes or Sakurai liking/disliking something in that post...

Uh...forgive me for not understanding what you're trying to tell me here. I didn't say anything about costumes or Sakurai liking/disliking something in that post...

Ah sorry Ana. I missed quoted a post. This is the post I meant to quote.

Sakurai doesn't usually like to make other characters into alternate costumes.

There are special cases though so. *shrugs*

Yeah, I realized that a few seconds after I made my reply. I hadn't seen the post above mine lol. It's fine. :P

I can see Sakurai wishing he could do full out alternate costumes, but he's probably afraid of changing hitboxes too much.

Edited by Anacybele

I just thought of something: Will some unlockable characters perhaps be unlocked with different methods in the different versions? I mean, I could see Smash Run being used to unlock one (or perhaps a few) characters, but it's a 3DS exclusive, so they'd need a different unlock method on the Wii U. Or do you think version-exclusive modes will only unlock version-exclusive unlockables (like stages or trophies or something)?

True, I underestimate the time frame but that makes Smash 4's development time even less. It's far from the "longest" game Nintendo ever made is development time is what PuffPuff was referring to.

I point to Doctor Mario in Melee, Sakurai stated even "I see him as too different from Mario to make him a costume"

And I'd really argue against Dark Link being a "character" like Dark Samus or Dark Pit, he's just there to be a boss and continue the Peter Pan theme Link has going for him.

The koopalings are also way too similar to each other yet wildly popular for some reason (saying something from me considering their debut was my favorite Mario game of all time) same can be said of Daisy, she's a tomboyish Peach with no other established character traits to warrant being playable but she has fans so the pallet for Peach was made.

Clearly there are flipflops but I remember the Melee days of such when Sakurai stated that originally (or so I recall) and this is why we don't have stuff like a Sigurd costume for Marth among other things.

Well, Marth could still have colors similar to other lords, couldn't he? I mean, Peach having Daisy colors and Ike having a palette that looks sorta like his dad is the same thing.

And I still hope for an Eliwood colored Marth. xP

Edited by Anacybele

I point to Doctor Mario in Melee, Sakurai stated even "I see him as too different from Mario to make him a costume"

And I'd really argue against Dark Link being a "character" like Dark Samus or Dark Pit, he's just there to be a boss and continue the Peter Pan theme Link has going for him.

The koopalings are also way too similar to each other yet wildly popular for some reason (saying something from me considering their debut was my favorite Mario game of all time) same can be said of Daisy, she's a tomboyish Peach with no other established character traits to warrant being playable but she has fans so the pallet for Peach was made.

Clearly there are flipflops but I remember the Melee days of such when Sakurai stated that originally (or so I recall) and this is why we don't have stuff like a Sigurd costume for Marth among other things.

What Sakurai said twelve years ago is kind of moot now. We've seen a lot of things develop since then. Especially with the case of Doctor Mario as we know that he, along with Lucina who is a completely different character, were intended to merrily be alternate costumes until they upgraded to clone status because they had more time. If Lucina was planned to be an alt of Marth I see no reason why Chris or the classic mage design couldn't be alts for Robin.

I'd recommend choosing sources more carefully. This entire article is based on speculation of past release dates - which seem to hold no bearing at all. A game of the magnitude of SSB4 is naturally going to take longer to develop from time of announcement. Whilst there's no guarantee that it'll be launched on time, I'm hard pressed to find any real reason why one should expect a delay.

What Sakurai said twelve years ago is kind of moot now. We've seen a lot of things develop since then. Especially with the case of Doctor Mario as we know that he, along with Lucina who is a completely different character, were intended to merrily be alternate costumes until they upgraded to clone status because they had more time. If Lucina was planned to be an alt of Marth I see no reason why Chris or the classic mage design couldn't be alts for Robin.

We know this is the case for Lucina. But I don't seem to recall Sakurai or anyone saying this was the case for this Dr. Mario appearance, it may actually be for those who preferred Mario's melee style before he got that god awful fludd move that is absolutely worthless

We know this is the case for Lucina. But I don't seem to recall Sakurai or anyone saying this was the case for this Dr. Mario appearance, it may actually be for those who preferred Mario's melee style before he got that god awful fludd move that is absolutely worthless

That is possible but I doubt it. There's a lot more fan demand for Roy and Mewtwo to come back than Doctor Mario. He's at the bottom of the barrel for removed newcomers. He's clearly the easiest to bring back because he takes the least amount of work but I highly doubt he was a character planned from day 1. We'll just have to see what Sakurai has to say when or if the character is officially revealed.

Except he WAS planned from day 1 because Sakurai said in that live tweet that the roster was decided before development even began.

Except we know he later added Lucina to the roster because they had more time and she was easy to convert into playable fighter.