SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I saw top 8. Just...how do you die off the top at 0%? If I hadn't seen it happen, I wouldn't think it possible.

Nairo is probably my favorite Smash 4 player, though, so I was happy to see him take it.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was ridiculous. I like how ally was just like "yeah that happened."

I'm glad Nairo won. Definitely one of my favorite players. Can't wait to face him again soon.

Enough with your training with top players :P:.

No wonder you skyrocketed in power level.

only managed to catch paragon's melee top 4, but m2k was fuckin hype

re: ice climbers -

I'd imagine that with desyncs they'd find some way to chaingrab (since the anti-chaingrab mechanic is "can't grab -> throw -> regrab," but icies might be able to throw -> jab1 or s/t -> regrab), buuuuut it would get patched out very quickly

or hell, desyncs might get patched out, but I doubt it, since a) how do you do that very well b) rosaluma have easy? desyncs

I saw top 8. Just...how do you die off the top at 0%? If I hadn't seen it happen, I wouldn't think it possible.

Nairo is probably my favorite Smash 4 player, though, so I was happy to see him take it.

I heard it explained that several of Mario's upB hits do less than 1% damage but have disproportionately high knockback (to make the multiple hits link prorperly). So Sonic got hit by a single one of the weak hits, resulting in his damage being rounded down to 0% while still hitting him hard enough to cross the blastzone. It was bonkers to actually see it happen in a tourney set, though.

I don't see why they would try and get rid of desyncing. If anything I'd expect/hope they'd add in ways to make it easier.

Why would you want to make it easier? That removes skill curves.

It makes high level IC play all the more impressive if it isn't super simple.

Like i'm all for smash being accessible (Which all of its games are even Melee), but why make Advanced Techniques easier?

Like i'm all for smash being accessible (Which all of its games are even Melee), but why make Advanced Techniques easier?

Because Smash is supposed to be more about strategy and prediction than execution.

Because Smash is supposed to be more about strategy and prediction than execution.

Smash is supposed to be a celebration of Nintendo actually.

You do realize in 64, smooth landing (L-Canceling) was implemented on purpose? Among other advanced techniques I could name in all smash games. (Sadly smooth landing is not in recent games unless you count the smooth lander equip)

Edited by Jedi

Why would you want to make it easier? That removes skill curves.

It makes high level IC play all the more impressive if it isn't super simple.

I don't think all Advanced Techniques should be easy. But in this particular case I think the thing that makes Ice Climbers special is that there's two of them. But if they're completely synced all the time then it's not really two characters, just one that can get weaker under the right conditions. So actually using the two different characters as two different characters should be the basic strategy of the character instead of something that's awkward and feels unnatural. The Advanced Techniques should come from creative ways to use desyncing, not achieving it as a state in the first place. Plus, you know, if they've lost their chain grabbing capabilities giving them a buff in another area would be warranted.

I thought the point of the Ice Climbers was that their hitboxes lasted twice as long, or they dealt twice as much damage, or something. I never played 'em, so I don't know.

I don't think all Advanced Techniques should be easy. But in this particular case I think the thing that makes Ice Climbers special is that there's two of them. But if they're completely synced all the time then it's not really two characters, just one that can get weaker under the right conditions. So actually using the two different characters as two different characters should be the basic strategy of the character instead of something that's awkward and feels unnatural. The Advanced Techniques should come from creative ways to use desyncing, not achieving it as a state in the first place. Plus, you know, if they've lost their chain grabbing capabilities giving them a buff in another area would be warranted.

I agree actually now that you described your view on the matter.

I heard it explained that several of Mario's upB hits do less than 1% damage but have disproportionately high knockback (to make the multiple hits link prorperly). So Sonic got hit by a single one of the weak hits, resulting in his damage being rounded down to 0% while still hitting him hard enough to cross the blastzone. It was bonkers to actually see it happen in a tourney set, though.

nitpick but: all do at least 1% - it does 5/1/1/3

my only thought is that it does top blastzone checking frame-by-frame the moment that knockback happens, and displays damage changes slightly later, so by the time it should be at 5% or w/e sonic is already dead

also re: smash's purpose - Sakurai does a good job of explaining his intentions at least at the time he made SSB64 and Melee. he made websites cataloging ATs and everything

Edited by Euklyd

http://smash4u.net/the-state-of-sm4sh-august-edition/

luigi is better than sheik guys!!!!11!!1!

realtalk I guess it really does go to show how much of a difference in effectiveness there is between midlevel luigi play and top level luigi play

I would honestly call that high level play, not just mid level. Only a handful of bigger tournaments were included in that list. Though I agree with your conclusion that absolute top level play is quite distinct from even the high level play compiled by that website.

In Luigi's defense, some of the results discrepency could be attributed to the coincidence of no super top-notch national player choosing to play Luigi. It's very hard to distinguish between people not using a character because the character is flawed and people not using a character because no one is interested and skilled enough to knuckle down on the character and go the extra mile. There are only 1 or 2 dominant players repping even some of the more widely-agreed upon top tiers like ZSS, Rosa, Pika, Mario, etc just because there are a LOT of characters in this game and only so many amazing players to go around. So it's not unreasonable to think that perhaps one or two top tier characters are just getting left out by coincidence.

I would honestly call that high level play, not just mid level. Only a handful of bigger tournaments were included in that list. Though I agree with your conclusion that absolute top level play is quite distinct from even the high level play compiled by that website.

In Luigi's defense, some of the results discrepency could be attributed to the coincidence of no super top-notch national player choosing to play Luigi. It's very hard to distinguish between people not using a character because the character is flawed and people not using a character because no one is interested and skilled enough to knuckle down on the character and go the extra mile. There are only 1 or 2 dominant players repping even some of the more widely-agreed upon top tiers like ZSS, Rosa, Pika, Mario, etc just because there are a LOT of characters in this game and only so many amazing players to go around. So it's not unreasonable to think that perhaps one or two top tier characters are just getting left out by coincidence.

yeah I meant to be referring all to high level play, so you'd have mid of high level and top of high level :shrug:

Mr. ConCon took a set off ZeRo's Diddy with his Luigi

Larry Lurr is hella good and has a Luigi as well as Fox

these guys aren't Nairo or ESAM, but they're still very high-level players