SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things that are also impossible for characters in smash to do in their own games that they do in Smash.

Sonic can't double jump in most games, Shulk can't double jump, Little Mac certainly can't jump off walls in Punch Out!!

Robin can't use Nosferatu as a Tactician, Ike has nothing like Eruption in FE gameplay, not even the Yune blessing at the end of Radiant Dawn manifested itself in such a way. Link can't jump unless theres a ledge (normally). Olimar can't jump period.

I see a trend :P:

Nearly every character in Smash has two jumps, regardless of how many they originally had. The only time a character would have less is if it were Captain Toad. Jumps should NOT be a consideration of a characters moveset.

Nearly every character in Smash has two jumps, regardless of how many they originally had. The only time a character would have less is if it were Captain Toad. Jumps should NOT be a consideration of a characters moveset.

So we shouldn't have any issues with Captain Toad were he to show up then, he'd have two jumps like everyone else. As you just cleanly put it yourself.

Edited by Jedi

No, he'd have one jump. Or it'd be his up special. I rather have NiGHTS as a playable character and see how he's handled.

Edited by Zera

To add to the point, pre much all of the Kirby characters had infinite jumps in every one of their main games. In Smash, they only have 5.

If one person were to have only one jump, then that would have to apply to just about every character who cannot physically fly, if we want to be realistic about it. Gotta keep it fair, y'all

Uh, no, Daisy is not already in the game. A palette swap is not Daisy, it's Peach in Daisy's colors, and I fucking hate Peach. I don't like people telling Daisy fans like me that we should just go with Peach in Daisy's colors. IT IS NOT THE SAME BECAUSE IT IS NOT DAISY, IT IS PEACH.

Daisy doesn't have a parasol or Toads. She'd need other things in their place. She also doesn't float. She is not simply a different colored Peach at all. She technically used to be though, until her design was changed.

so you're biased against peach and rejecting the one nod toward daisy's existence in the game. a palette swap is more notable than what many characters get regardless, like pichu and young link, so i'm not sure about why it's so awful.

zera why don't you make any posts that are logical

Edited by PichuMaster3000

Even among Mario characters, I'd much prefer anyone else than the one whose biggest claim to fame is "the other female character in Mario Party." Why not Toad, Waluigi, or if we need gender diversity, Birdo? I'm in agreement with Jedi and Comet that we don't really need Mario characters though.

I'm not saying I want Daisy, or even that I think she's likely. I just said I think she's more likely than certain other names that pop up more often than they should.

Uh, Wario having his own spin-off has nothing to do with what I said. Rosalina having Luma was not something anyone considered. Who's to say Sakurai won't be able to come up with something equally interesting for Daisy?

Honestly, the whole "[Character] would just be a clone" argument is so terrible it is both not an argument and a terrible argument at the same time. Not an argument because Sakurai has shown that he can basically make anyone unique, and a terrible argument because even if someone does end up a clone, what does that mean for anyone else? Nothing. Clones are merely extras. If we do get Peach-clone!Daisy, it's highly unlikely that she would come at the expense of anyone else. That's just how clones work.

I have no issue with a clones, but we're talking about DLC here (or at least we were initially, it might just be more general discussion now). Clones don't come at the expense of other characters but that doesn't mean they're content people are going to feel comfortable outright paying for. Daisy might get into SSB5, I think there might be more deserving characters out there but she has a chance. As DLC for SSB4, unless they do something very creative with her that fits well into the game and manages to get over the popularity barrier that has several other characters in the running, I'm not really seeing it.

Unless they make it free DLC. I don't think anyone would complain about that, clone or no clone.

Edited by Jotari

so you're biased against peach and rejecting the one nod toward daisy's existence in the game. a palette swap is more notable than what many characters get regardless, like pichu and young link, so i'm not sure about why it's so awful.

It's awful because it's an awful way to nod towards her, especially when the Koopalings get their own MODELS and Daisy is still suck as a palette. I'd have even been fine if Daisy was an alternate model rather than her own slot. But Sakurai still left her as a palette.

Pichu and Young Link no longer existing as playable characters makes sense to me. Though they still should have trophies, imo.

I have no issue with a clones, but we're talking about DLC here (or at least we were initially, it might just be more general discussion now). Clones don't come at the expense of other characters but that doesn't mean they're content people are going to feel comfortable outright paying for. Daisy might get into SSB5, I think there might be more deserving characters out there but she has a chance. As DLC for SSB4, unless they do something very creative with her that fits well into the game and manages to get over the popularity barrier that has several other characters in the running, I'm not really seeing it.

I don't know if clones are in consideration for DLC, but if they are, I highly doubt they'd be sold for the same price as a unique fighter. I'd guess something like $1 each, maybe multiple in a combo pack for about that value.

Popularity barrier? She's more popular than you think. The hardcore Smash fanbase is not representative of the entire audience.

zera why don't you make any posts that are logical

My post was perfectly logical. If most characters have 1 jump normally, but 2 in Smash, then Captain Toad, who can't jump at all, gets 1 in Smash.

source please

>Mario character.

No one really has a reliable source for which characters are popular overall, but she is popular on Tumblr, and I've heard she's more popular in Japan than in the west.

Read that article, though, to see why I take Smashboards and Reddit poll results with a grain of salt. Considering the ballot is merely a suggestion box and not actually a "most votes wins" contest, I'm pretty confident Daisy has enough popularity to not need to get over some "popularity barrier."

250px-PeachDaisy_MP9.png

if you "look" at that and think they aren't aesthetically similar at all, then you probably have visual issues

You know what? I'm going to take that as a personal insult because I really do have real visual issues. Think before you speak. "Oh how am I supposed to know over the internet?" Well maybe you shouldn't say crap like that at all, whether it be on the internet or not? Jerk.

ANYWAY. I really do want Daisy. Her chances may be slim (or so most people think), but I still want her. I don't care if there's seven Mario characters already, really I hate that whole "there's already soooo many characters from that series" argument. So what? I do agree that they shouldn't fill the game with loooaaads of characters from the same series, but I think there's room for one or two more Mario characters, so long as they can be unique enough. I think Daisy could be unique enough.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

Sakurai: "We don't know why some people wanted Daisy in the game, as she was already available via palette swap. But here you go."

*Daisy appears with a flamethrower and machine gun to differentiate her from Peach. Her final smash is a giant laser fired from third eye in the back of her head.*

You know, I did vote for Isaac (largely because Golden Sun was legit and the Move Psynergy Assist Trophy from Brawl was . . . not a flattering representation) I literally cannot fathom how somebody can be so sad as to look at the roster of a 56-character game and be yet unsatisfied. Heck, two of those character slots were completely unnecessary by any stretch of the imagination! If anything, I'd rather the DLC characters we have be given a free set of custom moves.

And even regarding Isaac, even the magic swordsman archetype he would fall under already has (bi-gendered!) representation. So most of what he'd bring would be a new game to advertise.

holy shit what happened to this thread

yo pichu's best costume got a palette swap on pikachu