SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when I think about it more, shovel knight could be a pretty legit character but I can't imagine how awful the hitboxes would be

"swing your shovel? sure hope you hit with the blade! otherwise you MISS ayy lmao"

greninja dair tho, calling it now

Why bother with another third party character when there's still a veritable Treasure trove of first party characters?

your post mostly reminds me that it is an outright CRIME that TWEWY (the real objectively best DS game) doesn't have a rep

idk the post you linked lists one (1) game I wouldn't call that a treasure trove by any stretch of the phrase

your post mostly reminds me that it is an outright CRIME that TWEWY (the real objectively best DS game) doesn't have a rep

idk the post you linked lists one (1) game I wouldn't call that a treasure trove by any stretch of the phrase

You do realize that's third party, right? And you still haven't played Bangai-O Spirits. Please don't use the word "objectively" until you do (believe me, I'm a TWEWY fan, even tried to get 100%).

There are more characters than those. Lot's more! Ridley, Vaati, Chibi-Robo, Professor Layton, Starfy, or even Aeron from Pandora's Tower (although I'm not sure that Nintendo owns the IP, only that they published it outside NA.)

Layton is owned by Level 5 which isn't owned by Nintendo so he'd probably be third party (like anything from Sin & Punishment or any other Treasure game). Another few suggestions I'd propose would be Isaac or Matthew from Golden Sun, Kamek from the Yoshi series (because if its to remain as an independent series then I think it needs more than just one rep), a bucket load of F Zero Characters, Krystal from Starfox., Paper Mario (with a distinct and completely non clone based moveset), Toad (considering he recently got a game it improves his odds for at least Smash 5 if his popularity doesn't warrant him DLC in Smash 4).

Edited by Jotari

You do realize that's third party, right? And you still haven't played Bangai-O Spirits. Please don't use the word "objectively" until you do (believe me, I'm a TWEWY fan, even tried to get 100%).

There are more characters than those. Lot's more! Ridley, Vaati, Chibi-Robo, Professor Layton, Starfy, or even Aeron from Pandora's Tower (although I'm not sure that Nintendo owns the IP, only that they published it outside NA.)

the thread you linked is a thread about 3rd parties tho

all the characters in your post were S&P

(most) everything else in the thread was third party because it was a thread about 3rd parties

so if you wanted to give an example of a treasure trove of 1st-party characters, you should have found a different example

except reading Jotari's post makes me realize you were just making a pun (and not that bad of one tbh) so my b

That wasn't a pun. Sin and Punishment is co-owned by Nintendo and Treasure, so it's as first party as Pokemon (and look at how many reps that has).

That wasn't a pun. Sin and Punishment is co-owned by Nintendo and Treasure, so it's as first party as Pokemon (and look at how many reps that has).

It's true that Game Freak isn't owned by Nintendo, and in fact when the first Smash Bros came out Pikachu and Jigglypuff it could be argued were the first third party characters in Smash. However they have since made a contract to only develop games for Nintendo and the Pokemon IP itself, despite being made by Game Freak, is still property of Nintendo and several Pokemon games have been developed by non Game Freak companies (most notably Pokemon Colosseum). It's like how Rare invented Diddy Kong and King K Rool yet they're still characters completely owned by Nintendo. Though I hope any future Sin and Punishment games will be Nintendo exclusives no such contract or rights exit between Nintendo and Treasure to my knowledge and unlike Pokemon games, the credits merely list Nintendo as a publisher unlike Pokemon games where it's given equal billing alongside Game Freak.

Actually, Game Freak can still release games for other systems, like Tembo the Badass Elephant (still hoping for a Wii U port).

All the sources I've read claim that Nintendo co-owns or completely owns the Sin and Punishment IP. Give up Shovel Knight, you can't shovel your way out of this one.

Huh. Didn't know about Tembo the Badass Elephant. That's like the first non mobile, non Nintendo game they've released in over fifteen years. Could have sworn they had a contract but it might be faulty memory of the specifics, misinformation or an expired contact. Still doesn't change the fact that Nintendo is listed as nothing but a publisher in the Sin and Punishment credits while even since the first game Nintendo was given equal billing in the Pokemon credits.

Nintendo is on the front of the box, and they even partook in the development of both S&P games. Saki had a trophy in Brawl (before there were any third-party trophies), and Star Successor was featured in Iwata Asks. It's first party.

It's still a pun!

I mean if you legit thought that was a metaphorical treasure trove then I take it back, not my b after all :^)

[spoiler=I don't want to derail further than this post you're welcome to PM me or add me on Skype and to me there idc]also re: objectively best - obviously there's no objectively best game; I use the word facetiously. but TWEWY has an edge in that it marries one of the best integrations of all the DS's capabilities (except the mic I guess) to an engaging and innovative plot and interesting, human characters (on all sides) with actual meaningful development

I have seen bangai-o gameplay and it's not nearly as compelling a case in my own objective subjective viewpoint

also if it matters everything I've ever read (all of like two articles that I can remember) says that S&P is 1st-party

I would put this in Elies Amiibo thread, but since its the current topic...

FqRPD8i.png

GAME is the UK's Gamestop I think...? Someone confirm that for me.

Edited by Jedi

It's not a Super Smash Bros. Series Amiibo (or at least, not said to be), so it's not a confirmation, It'll be a shame if the Amiibo is required to unlock the Nintendo exclusive content on Shovel Knight, considering that every other console got if for free. I still want one though, but they never have enough supply, and I can hear scalpers getting to their computers already.

It's not a Super Smash Bros. Series Amiibo (or at least, not said to be), so it's not a confirmation, It'll be a shame if the Amiibo is required to unlock the Nintendo exclusive content on Shovel Knight, considering that every other console got if for free. I still want one though, but they never have enough supply, and I can hear scalpers getting to their computers already.

It's still kinda significant to the discussion imo, because this was part of the rumor. It also may not say its a smash bros amiibo, to keep suspense.

I can totally see that happening too. If in the end he does appear.

Another current rumor is this one http://nintendoeverything.com/voice-actor-sparks-speculation-about-professor-layton-coming-to-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/

Edited by Jedi

I read a lot of places that that was deconfirmed, there was a similar story with Shantae, though Professor Layton would be a funny character. Can't see what moves he'd use, but I bet they could think of something. Still a lot of places down on my most wanted newcomers list.

I'm really hoping for Shovel Knight now, this makes me excited. I don't think I should get my hopes too high though. This will be interesting considering then Shovel Knight will be the second only character to be created by a western developer (and the only North American one) and the only one to be the star of his own franchise. The other character is Diddy Kong.

Edited by Knight

He is, but fencing isn't really an important part of his character, it only comes up in a few games, so I'd imagine it's only be for his standard moves. Most of the time he defeats his enemies by outsmarting them or solving a puzzle. Actually, one game has him build a machine gun out of a slot-machine, I'd love to see that as a move.

sorry knight every time i see your avatar i think of

[spoiler=this]tumblr_nc2uwuHC5U1tgo8o0o1_250.gif

I could see more Assist Trophy shenanigans out of Layton, than a full fledged character

Layton appearing in the game doesn't necessarily mean he's a playable character. He could be a Mr Resetti style assist trophy who just hangs around and talks with Luke.

He is, but fencing isn't really an important part of his character, it only comes up in a few games, so I'd imagine it's only be for his standard moves. Most of the time he defeats his enemies by outsmarting them or solving a puzzle. Actually, one game has him build a machine gun out of a slot-machine, I'd love to see that as a move.

Yeah, I imagine he would have sword-based normals and puzzle-based specials, or at the least some mix of the two. The slot-machine gun would definitely be a must in his moveset, as it is one of the most iconic (and awesome) moments in the series. And you might even be able to make some sort of unique gameplay mechanic out of collecting hint coins to fire out of the gun, since hint coins are such a central part of the Layton series.

All that said, his fsmash or neutB have got to be the finger point of justice! You can't have Layton as a character and not have him heroically pointing at opponents.