SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

So, a big Smash group on Deviantart is posting about some rumor that Professor Layton will be the next DLC character. If Villager wasn't around, I'd think he'd be a very odd addition considering the series he stars in, but... Yeah. :P

Somebody edited the IMDB Smash page and put Layton's VA there. A Layton fan site asked the VA if it was legit, and he initially said yes. Shortly after, he redacted his statement and basically said "I wish". AKA, he was just messing around.

People really need to stop treating IMDB as a legit source for this stuff.

Edited by The DanMan

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, IMDB is basically Wikipedia designed for movies. So it doesn't mean anything in terms of Smash Speculation.

What does matter though, is the fact that the servers will be going under maintenance tomorrow. The last times the server went down for maintenance, we got a new patch and new DLC. The maintenance is happening at the same time too so it's definitely possible.

there's one new mechanic he's calling "trample" but yeah other than that it's the same

aerials don't clank except with projectiles, some attacks are transcendent and will never ever clank ever, 9% differential wins, etc.

Isn't trample basically a transcendent move that clanks?

I don't want anymore characters. 55 characters as of now are enough. What they gonna add in Smash 5? A bunch of new gen characters?

Edited by Knife

I honestly think Smash 5 won't come for a very long while, if anything the NX will get a port of Smash 4 before Smash 5.

The only newcomer will be Ridley since he's such a big addition.

Professor Layton is not coming. The Shovel Knight rumor is still up in the air, and while I'm still thinking he's not coming, there's reason to consider it.

I don't want anymore characters. 55 characters as of now are enough. What they gonna add in Smash 5? A bunch of new gen characters?

You know we're definitely getting more, right? My guess is we'll get four from ballot results.

Professor Layton is not coming. The Shovel Knight rumor is still up in the air, and while I'm still thinking he's not coming, there's reason to consider it.

You know we're definitely getting more, right? My guess is we'll get four from ballot results.

Layton is not deconfirmed as far as I can tell, there's just not really anything extra pointing to his inclusion. Shovel Knight is pretty much the same; he got an amiibo, but it's his own series instead of SSB series.

As for ballot characters, 4 seems a little high. Conservatively, I'm guessing we'll get a veteran and a newcomer. That said, I'm all for upping the roster more. Not going to pretend I won't eat up any DLC characters they offer. Sakurai's "ignore the sequel" philosophy has yet to burn him. Nintendo is always making more series with more characters, so by the time SSB5 rolls around we'll have a lot of newer additions along with a few possible leftovers from pre-Smash4 era like K Rool, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Inkling, Dixie, etc.

Now that you bring it up, though, SSB5 seems like a bit of an iffy prospect. The series will definitely continue, as it still sells insanely well, but Sakurai has said repeatedly that SSB4 was basically the limit of what they could design and balance in a single game development cycle. He even said back after Brawl that he felt he was nearing the roster limit; and that was 16 characters ago! It might not be feasible to do another iterative game where the roster just expands by 15 characters, especially now that DLC is inflating the roster of the previous game past what is possible in a single dev cycle. How many other fighting game series manage a roster of >50 characters? A few, true, but not many. And the characters are usually fairly derivative. Sakurai has expressed interest in leaving the series, so it's possible that the next game will have a new director and overhaul to the game system itself, which might somewhat reset the roster. Or, I guess Sakurai could be exaggerating... again.

I'm thinking we'll get 1 or 2 with the ballot results, along with Wolf and another veteran returning personally.

But that's merely conjecture.

Edited by Jedi

I'm saying four right now, not sure who though. The EShop says DLC pack 1 with the four we currently have and there seems to be exactly four more spaces left in the All Star rows in the Wii U version.

Layton is not deconfirmed as far as I can tell, there's just not really anything extra pointing to his inclusion. Shovel Knight is pretty much the same; he got an amiibo, but it's his own series instead of SSB series.

As for ballot characters, 4 seems a little high. Conservatively, I'm guessing we'll get a veteran and a newcomer. That said, I'm all for upping the roster more. Not going to pretend I won't eat up any DLC characters they offer. Sakurai's "ignore the sequel" philosophy has yet to burn him. Nintendo is always making more series with more characters, so by the time SSB5 rolls around we'll have a lot of newer additions along with a few possible leftovers from pre-Smash4 era like K Rool, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Inkling, Dixie, etc.

Now that you bring it up, though, SSB5 seems like a bit of an iffy prospect. The series will definitely continue, as it still sells insanely well, but Sakurai has said repeatedly that SSB4 was basically the limit of what they could design and balance in a single game development cycle. He even said back after Brawl that he felt he was nearing the roster limit; and that was 16 characters ago! It might not be feasible to do another iterative game where the roster just expands by 15 characters, especially now that DLC is inflating the roster of the previous game past what is possible in a single dev cycle. How many other fighting game series manage a roster of >50 characters? A few, true, but not many. And the characters are usually fairly derivative. Sakurai has expressed interest in leaving the series, so it's possible that the next game will have a new director and overhaul to the game system itself, which might somewhat reset the roster. Or, I guess Sakurai could be exaggerating... again.

He's not outright disconfirmed, no, I just highly doubt it. The only reason I have to give Shovel Knight consideration is this. PushDustIn is a pretty trustworthy info source and he states here that he has 80% confidence in the rumor that Shovel Knight is coming (though I recall hearing that his confidence has since dropped a bit). The problem, though, is two-fold: 80% is not 100%, and he hasn't disclosed the information that leads him to this confidence.

Four is appropriate given what Sakurai has stated on the matter, among other things. He says there will be "several" more, implying at least three; once over, the ballot will have been open for six whole months; lastly, the current DLC characters can be purchased together in a 4-pack. All this leads me to believe that four is a solid number. Besides, if we only got another veteran and a newcomer from here, that would make 4/6 DLC fighters veterans. Given Sakurai's stance on DLC and not wanting people to feel like content was cut to be sold separately, I doubt this.

I'm thinking we'll get 1 or 2 with the ballot results, along with Wolf returning personally.

But that's merely conjecture.

We're more or less guaranteed to get more than 1. It's pretty likely we'll get at least 3. 4 is my guess, of course. I expect one to be Wolf, though I think the next announcement will be a newcomer.

We're more or less guaranteed to get more than 1. It's pretty likely we'll get at least 3. 4 is my guess, of course. I expect one to be Wolf, though I think the next announcement will be a newcomer.

I think it will be as well, then Wolf to hype everyone who has wanted him back, and then the next pair.

So, assuming there will be four more characters, then my bets would be Wolf, Shovel Knight, Isaac and King K. Rool. Who do you guys think it will be?

Edited by Knight

Wolf, K.Rool, Shantae and Ridley anybody but Snake.

Seeing how all of the non-tipper related buffs and nerfs affect both Marth and Lucina, more landing lag would be a nerf that affects Lucina,

Though Marth will technically be the superior one anyways unless they completely go against Lucina's "equal damage but no tipper but otherwise practically the same" philosophy or lengthen Lucina's Falchion size to be the same as or bigger than Marth's (and 3D model size changes are buffs/nerfs that are rarely done through patches due to the complexity of them).

I'm pretty sure that Lucina's data is stored in a different part of the disk than Marth's is, and that Sakurai could implement a patch that affects Marth's data but not Lucina's.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I'm pretty sure that Lucina's data is stored in a different part of the disk than Marth's is, and that Sakurai could implement a patch that affects Marth's data but not Lucina's.

To this day any data changes Marth has gotten, Lucina has also gotten, but who knows maybe they'll change that down the line.

The only character I really expect is Wolf, though Dixie also feels likely. After them, I don't know. I doubt K. Rool, Isaac, and any third party character. I expect four, but I can't even think of four characters that I think are potentially likely.

I agree about likely only getting 4 DLC characters. With the first character DLC batch being labelled batch #1 and it containing 4 characters, it's likely the second batch will also have 4 characters. Also, Sakurai did say that due to the 3DS version not being able to handle lots of DLC size-wise, he wouldn't stick too many DLC characters to the point that it'd eat up most 3DS user's data space.

I'm personally guessing that King K. Rool, Inklings, and Isaac will be playable DLC characters, due to their popularity and frequency in terms of requests on the ballot.

Theoretically, he could, but then Sakurai would essentially have lied regarding everything he said on Miiverse, in-game trophy descriptions, and tips on the loading screen about Marth and Lucina being mostly similar with everything but the tipper and sword mechanics. So basically, he's stuck with keeping them similar (outside of tippers and sword damage) to stay true to all of the Marth and Lucina similarities he keeps mentioning.

while I'm pretty sure that by "pretty sure" you meant "100% positive," can confirm

it probably wouldn't be a big deal if lucina had one or two more active frames with her hitboxes on some moves than marth, like doctor mario.

I'm thinking Wolf, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, and Inkling. Wolf is the only veteran left that has a good chance to return, and a lot of people want those other three. Splatoon has been a hit and DK needs more reps too. If Kid Icarus can have three reps and Mother can have two, DK should have more than two.

Edited by Anacybele

I definitely agree that four seems like a likely number for the (presumably) final batch of DLC characters we'll be getting. I personally think Wolf, Isaac, Dixie Kong (I'd say K. Rool, but that Mii costume...), and maybe Balloon Fighter (I'm dead serious).

But the characters I WANT...well Lyn of course :P