I suck against n00b players

Junkhead

I'm terrible against bad players in Brawl. They do such silly things that I'm not used to it. Friends told me is because I play them the same way I play good players.

I'm sorta the same way. For most of my time playing smash I played against people who were much worse than me regularly, so I compensated for this by either just rushing the crap out of them (I find that less skilled players are surprisingly good at handling this) or unbalanced matches (2v1v1, I can't pick up items, etc.)

If you slow down and think against them you'll find that they're pretty predictable. That will not stop you from getting wrecked in a chaotic FFA but in a 1v1 it works well.

If you're up against a spammer, play dodge&avoid until they stop using the move. Most legitimate spammers get annoyed with the fact that their attack isn't working and will slow down or even stop completely, unable to counterattack your strategy.

Once they've stopped for the most part, proceed to smack them around generously. The sudden adjustment should throw them off-guard. If they start spamming around, dodge&avoid.

I can't help you if you're up against trolls, though, which you CAN run into and are legitimately annoying and hard to predict.

Expanding on the above: if they're really honestly bad and not just "unorthodox" by your standards, eventually they'll do something that leaves them open, without fail

Like literally, in Brawl that's as close as I can get at a moment's notice to the very definition of a bad player

Wait for them to do this thing while not being in the areas that they can hit, then when they do it go hit them

If they don't adapt (part two of literal definition of bad player), just keep putting yourself in the same places and continue hitting them

Alternatively, make liberal use of OOS punishes (shield grab, jump attacks out of shield etc) and watch out for situations where there's some vague possibility that the hitboxes could align such that they might grab you

Edited by Rehab

get better and shut them down completely

j9fp.jpg
Follow Emmeryn's advice.
Play and have fun and smile. ^-^

I find that Peach is a real annoyance to less skilled players. She can approach them from angles that they're not used to and just drift in and out of their range until they do something that leaves them open or you find a pattern in their reaction to you closing in. She also has a pretty nifty projectile and a counter to punish really obvious spammers.

everyone in this thread who brawls should brawl moreeeeeeeeeeee

I'm sorta the same way. For most of my time playing smash I played against people who were much worse than me regularly, so I compensated for this by either just rushing the crap out of them (I find that less skilled players are surprisingly good at handling this) or unbalanced matches (2v1v1, I can't pick up items, etc.)

If you slow down and think against them you'll find that they're pretty predictable. That will not stop you from getting wrecked in a chaotic FFA but in a 1v1 it works well.

They are indeed predictable. But it's not just about predicting, it's about reacting to that as well. And heck, I tend to be terrible against these kind of insolent things they do because higher-level players would never do that.

get better and shut them down completely

Get better.

"Get better" should be much more against players that actually know how to play and know the game, not against n00b players that will never do something that higher level players will do.

expect the unexpected

that's all the advice i can give

Mhmm, pretty much.

Expanding on the above: if they're really honestly bad and not just "unorthodox" by your standards, eventually they'll do something that leaves them open, without fail

Like literally, in Brawl that's as close as I can get at a moment's notice to the very definition of a bad player

Well, along with actual bad/casual players, I also have trouble with "unorthodox" players. I hate it when they do those silly things. It's so insolent.

Wait for them to do this thing while not being in the areas that they can hit, then when they do it go hit them

If they don't adapt (part two of literal definition of bad player), just keep putting yourself in the same places and continue hitting them

Alternatively, make liberal use of OOS punishes (shield grab, jump attacks out of shield etc) and watch out for situations where there's some vague possibility that the hitboxes could align such that they might grab you

It's not like I can't just throw in DDD or Falco and win, but my point is: I'd like to do it comfterbly and naturally rather than having to pick up an auto-win character.

j9fp.jpg

Follow Emmeryn's advice.

Play and have fun and smile. ^-^

That's adorable.

I find that Peach is a real annoyance to less skilled players. She can approach them from angles that they're not used to and just drift in and out of their range until they do something that leaves them open or you find a pattern in their reaction to you closing in. She also has a pretty nifty projectile and a counter to punish really obvious spammers.

everyone in this thread who brawls should brawl moreeeeeeeeeeee

Yeah, Peach is a mindrape for inexperienced players. Too bad I dislike her as a playable character.

They're so bad to the point that they're good.

It's actually more of a "I'm terrible against terrible players". My other comrades don't fall for these things.

METAKNIGHT OR FEED

I dislike MK. I prefer to play strong and heavy characters. MK's game never attracted me.

Then I remembered I have Wario.

Well, along with actual bad/casual players, I also have trouble with "unorthodox" players. I hate it when they do those silly things. It's so insolent.

you'd hate fighting me in Smash Bros

Soul, part of being good is adapting to whatever the opponent throws out. Just because they're noobs doesnt mean you shouldnt play against them. Learning how to beat the unpredictable is part of getting better. Inexperienced players often do stuff that you won't expect, so adapt to that and just shut down their stupidity.