• Barry
    • Cheren
    • Bianca
    • Hugh
    • Brendan
    • May
    • N

Horace.

It's tough to beat Gary, he's loud, obnoxious yet always one step ahead!

Gary is also the only rival who actually gets somewhere. All of the other people are wannabe chumps who show up as often to battle you as that one fisherman with the 6 Magikarp who later evolves one of them at level 10, but Motherfucking Gary Oak is the champion.

As always, Gary and Silver. The others are uninteresting, they failed to create the "rival" feeling. Wally is downright pathetic, I always feel really sad for him whenever he challenges me. I look down on Barry. Cheren and Bianca are so bland, they are sidekick at best, so does Hugh.

Silver, I'll say. Gary has a special importance for all of us , obviously...

I like Cheren as well. One of the best Rival we had recently (Well... Clress and N are better, but they aren't here...). He's also obsessed with victory as first, then leatns an important lesson, and becomes an even better trainer.

I also have a soft spt for Wally. You don't see him a lot, but a weakling that can overcome his problem thanks to his Pokémons is a pretty sweet story...

Hugh is just.. Ughh!, pun fully intended. He's just such an obnoxious brat, with his goddamn Purrloin. He would needs to calm down.

b75dcb7dc7bbb357b7ff44714db63bd1.png

Ookido Green, the only man capable matching against Red in battle. Your own rival since childhood that always get ahead of you no matter what, and that he achieves from pure skill, managed to secure the title of Champion just right before your eyes. After his own defeat against Red, he became gym leader and never again challenge the title of Champion, even though it is no longer Red that hold the name of Champion. He knows that he can;t be trully a champion unless he took the title itself from his rival, his friend, Red.

Anyway, Green after 5 Generation still is the best rival of all. The reason is he really act as a rival, while many others just act like pseudo-rival that really isn't interested at all to competing with you (a reason that also make Pearl/Barry is second favorite of mine). Silver have potential, but sadly he lacked development after first half of the game is completed. He only appeared on the Indigo League, and make no further competition. I always hoped that Hugh would at least have similarities in personality with Green. But no, he still a "friendly" rival of yours, though he definitely better than Bianca and Cheren.

b75dcb7dc7bbb357b7ff44714db63bd1.png

Ookido Green, the only man capable matching against Red in battle. Your own rival since childhood that always get ahead of you no matter what, and that he achieves from pure skill, managed to secure the title of Champion just right before your eyes. After his own defeat against Red, he became gym leader and never again challenge the title of Champion, even though it is no longer Red that hold the name of Champion. He knows that he can;t be trully a champion unless he took the title itself from his rival, his friend, Red.

Anyway, Green after 5 Generation still is the best rival of all. The reason is he really act as a rival, while many others just act like pseudo-rival that really isn't interested at all to competing with you (a reason that also make Pearl/Barry is second favorite of mine). Silver have potential, but sadly he lacked development after first half of the game is completed. He only appeared on the Indigo League, and make no further competition. I always hoped that Hugh would at least have similarities in personality with Green. But no, he still a "friendly" rival of yours, though he definitely better than Bianca and Cheren.

Whyb so much hate against Cheren ?

That's especially daring when you realize howsimilar Cheren and Gary/Blue/Green/Douche are.

Both are really invested in competition. Both become great Gym Leader in their second game. Both are powerfull and talented Trainer... He is more friendly, but he really consider Pokemon as Serious Business.

The difference is that Cheren understand part way that it's not all that matters, and decides to try to understand his Pokemon better. By doing that, he become an even better Trainer. Even if he never became a Champion, he won where Blue lost, because he finally understand what being a trainer means, and used it to become even better and train the next Generation...

He's the only Trainer I can really respect.

Cheren deserves more love.

Bianca is cool as well. She made all her Pokemon learns Return. That's really sweet... Beating an ennemy with Return is the most satisfying experience ever, after all....

Bianca and Cheren works well together. They apparently want to expand this idea with X and Y, and I like this...

Edited by TendaSlime

GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK

...Is in 2nd place. I liked Silver. Especially in Pokemon Special, where it wasn't Gold who wanted to beat the gyms. His entire journey centered on beating Silver down.

Whyb so much hate against Cheren ?

That's especially daring when you realize howsimilar Cheren and Gary/Blue/Green/Douche are.

Both are really invested in competition. Both become great Gym Leader in their second game. Both are powerfull and talented Trainer... He is more friendly, but he really consider Pokemon as Serious Business.

The difference is that Cheren understand part way that it's not all that matters, and decides to try to understand his Pokemon better. By doing that, he become an even better Trainer. Even if he never became a Champion, he won where Blue lost, because he finally understand what being a trainer means, and used it to become even better and train the next Generation...

He's the only Trainer I can really respect.

Cheren deserves more love.

Bianca is cool as well. She made all her Pokemon learns Return. That's really sweet... Beating an ennemy with Return is the most satisfying experience ever, after all....

Bianca and Cheren works well together. They apparently want to expand this idea with X and Y, and I like this...

The fact that Cheren too become Gym Leader in the sequel make their resemblance even more uncanny

I know that Cheren have something to achieve for. He is pursuing what is "Strength" , and what is truly mean to be a Pokemon Trainer. It just his attitude toward the Main Player is too friendly for his own good. I don't really feel any rivalry with him, instead he is more like NPC trainer which our just oftenly crossed upon. There are a lot of example of friendly rivalry done right without the competitive feel being stripped bare. I like Cheren as character since he is one of the few character in Pokemon to have character development, but I can't like him as rival.

GARY MOTHERFUCKING OAK

...Is in 2nd place. I liked Silver. Especially in Pokemon Special, where it wasn't Gold who wanted to beat the gyms. His entire journey centered on beating Silver down.

Oh damn, Pokemon Special. If I have to place my favorite from the manga, I'll place him as #1 too because he is the son of Giovanni/Sakaki which mean he automatically a badass his backstory.

Personally I like May, however Silver gets my vote as May seems to have disappeared from the poll.

1st place: N

There's too much for me to say about him, so I'll just keep it semi-short: N is, in my opinion, one of the best characters that has been created for Pokemon in a long time. He's what I like to call a well done Half Rival/Half Antagonist; shows up often enough to be a rival (and starts out as one) as well as arguably pushing the player to be better more than the actual rivals (Cheren, Bianca), but is plot driven and strong enough to be an antagonist and give an epic enough final battle (with him, anyways...). He's also super eccentric, which makes him interesting compared to most other bland pokemon characters. N made this game more enjoyable for me than the others; he made me want to keep going to find out what his motivations were, and eventually just to find out what made him tick. As someone who studies psychology, he fascinates me. If nothing else, he is the only antagonist in the Pokemon series who has ever really made me feel threatened in the game. All the other villains....not so much.

And he has the best battle theme ever! Nuff said.

2nd Place: Silver

I like how he's the darker and more dangerous rival in the series, since the only thing keeping him from being an outright enemy is that he hates Team Rocket even more than the protagonist. And that bit about him being Giovanni's son is interesting. He also improves as a person and trainer throughout the story, and I like to see that kind of character development.

3rd Place: Hugh

I'll be honest here and say that I just love that hair. And his battle theme.

But in all seriousness, I feel like he's what the pokemon rival ultimately should be; someone who challenges you to go further (but not simply antagonize you...I'm looking at you, Gary) and someone who will help you on your feet, back you up, and be there for you as a good friend (but not too overly helpful, i.e. Brendan, Lucas...that got a little annoying sometimes). He also had some nice character development, going from a blind crusader against Team Plasma to becoming someone who judges based on actions rather than who people appear to be (Old Team Plasma vs New Team Plasma). Hopefully this a good sign that Nintendo is getting better at Pokemon series character and story building.

1st place: N

There's too much for me to say about him, so I'll just keep it semi-short: N is, in my opinion, one of the best characters that has been created for Pokemon in a long time. He's what I like to call a well done Half Rival/Half Antagonist; shows up often enough to be a rival (and starts out as one) as well as arguably pushing the player to be better more than the actual rivals (Cheren, Bianca), but is plot driven and strong enough to be an antagonist and give an epic enough final battle (with him, anyways...). He's also super eccentric, which makes him interesting compared to most other bland pokemon characters. N made this game more enjoyable for me than the others; he made me want to keep going to find out what his motivations were, and eventually just to find out what made him tick. As someone who studies psychology, he fascinates me. If nothing else, he is the only antagonist in the Pokemon series who has ever really made me feel threatened in the game. All the other villains....not so much.

And he has the best battle theme ever! Nuff said.

2nd Place: Silver

I like how he's the darker and more dangerous rival in the series, since the only thing keeping him from being an outright enemy is that he hates Team Rocket even more than the protagonist. And that bit about him being Giovanni's son is interesting. He also improves as a person and trainer throughout the story, and I like to see that kind of character development.

3rd Place: Hugh

I'll be honest here and say that I just love that hair. And his battle theme.

But in all seriousness, I feel like he's what the pokemon rival ultimately should be; someone who challenges you to go further (but not simply antagonize you...I'm looking at you, Gary) and someone who will help you on your feet, back you up, and be there for you as a good friend (but not too overly helpful, i.e. Brendan, Lucas...that got a little annoying sometimes). He also had some nice character development, going from a blind crusader against Team Plasma to becoming someone who judges based on actions rather than who people appear to be (Old Team Plasma vs New Team Plasma). Hopefully this a good sign that Nintendo is getting better at Pokemon series character and story building.

Except for my dislike towards Hugh (He just get on my nerves... It's physical. But I agree with ypur ionterpretation), I totally agree with the rest.

Well, I find N and Colress the most interresting characters in Pokemon, even if they are somewhat antagonistic.

N have everything needed to makes a legendary Hero. He is charismatic and fight for what he think is fair, but he starts doubting after meeting with you. He try to think by himself and find his own place in the world.

I don't think threatening is the right world... What is the most threatening with him, is that he could makes you doubt about your own choices. If you listen to him, he makesreally compelling argument against Pokemon Training...

Colress is the most threatening ennemy you find, when you start thinking about it.

Unlike N who is extremely empathic towards pokemon, Colress haven't any empathy towards anyone. He only cares about science and is ready to do anything for it.

The fact that he is affable makes him even more terrifying. N had motivations to do what he do. You know that his faith is really high, and that's what makes the fight against him so great. It's 2 different faith that opposes each other, and finally amnaged to live together... Coress don't care if the world burn, as long as he obtains good data. If he had found enslaving pokémon was the best choice, he wouldn't have hesitate 1 second to enslave them all. It is a really interresting version of the traditional mad scientist.

That gives me real shivers...

Edited by TendaSlime

Gary/Blue exemplifies "90's asshole rival dude" to me, which gets him some brownie points, and I liked Silver well enough just comparing him to the former, thought of him as an interesting enough transition into territory that was a teensy bit darker yet more thoughtful, but I, uh

haven't actually owned a Pokemon game since Gold/Silver

what I heard about the manga sounds cool, though.

Edited by Rehab

Gary and Barry are my favorites. Barry gets bonus points for having(had?) the strongest non-Red team in terms of levels, I remember thinking it was crazy that his Pokemon reached mid-70s and kept fighting him over and over.

I really like Bianca too but she never felt like a rival, kinda like May. She didn't have that "presence," I guess.

Barry's starter goes up to 85. Red's Pikachu is 88 but it's still a Pikachu even if it is holding light ball. I'd say that Barry at his highest level would have been more difficult than Red except to get his levels that high requires beating the E4 several times which trains your pokemon's levels too. You could grind for Red too but with Barry, it's almost unavoidable that you end up at high levels too.