• Wally
    • Barry
    • Cheren
    • Bianca
    • Hugh
    • Brendan
    • May
    • N

Bianca, Barry and N. Also known as the not overrated choices.

How come Bianca is your rival?

1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.
2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.
3. Obsolete A companion or an associate in a particular duty.
1. At first, maybe. But right after some first battles, she fought you just for fun and she lost the first purpose she had when she first started out. She has never tried to surpass you nor ever chasing the same object as you.
2. Story wise: You > Cheren > Bianca. Game wise: N > Cheren > Bianca. Even the antagonists mocked her ability as a trainer. They didnt even know her name, how sad is that?
3. After half of the story, she found her purpose: become Jupiter's assistant. She has never been there whenever you and Cheren fought against team Plasma. She has never been there when you and Cheren fought each other to death and got approved by Alder. Companion!? Hell no!
She is your friend, your sidekick at best. N is the only true rival in gen V.
Edited by Char

Even though Gary is the original and has the most success with his own natural talent, he's the bottom of my top three. I have a reaaaally hard time picking between Silver and N because I have a thing for the more antagonistic rivals. I think the biggest laugh-out-loud moment I've had in Pokemon was in Heartgold, where I went through all the trouble to obtain a Rocket disguise only for Silver to rip it off and spawn a bunch of pervy fanart of both Ethan and Lyra.

N has the prettiest hair and design-wise he's my very favourite Pokemon character ever. Like Gary, he's the only rival who beat the Elite 4 and faced you as the champion of the League, though N has either Zekrom or Reshiram on his team. He's unique in that up until the final battle he actually picks up Pokemon from the environment to use rather than catching any Pokemon and keeping them forever, implying naturally strong Pokemon just want to be with him because of his charisma with Pokemon.

The rest of the rivals I don't particularly like. Brendan/May don't really have much character development, Wally is like kicking a puppy, I don't like how hyper Barry is, I'm actually sort of okay with Bianca/Cheren, and then Hugh is again way too hyper.

How come Bianca is your rival?

-do I need to reply to this? Mad-

She is your friend, your sidekick at best. N is the only true rival in gen V.

Bianca is my favorite Rival because I felt for her, I was kind of cheering her on too. You also forgot to notice Barry and N, apparently

Also, I noticed that you voted for/like Blue and Silver, why'd you reply to my post with stuff that doesn't matter? Angry because I feel that Blue and Silver are overrated? A rival does not have to be a jerk to you, case in point everyone from Brendan/May and Wally onwards(Iunno about Hugh, haven't played BW2 yet hee hee). A rival can *gasp* be your friend, I'll pause and let that sink in. Rivals are helpful to each other, as in they help each other improve. Bianca obviously got better as the story went on.

Bianca(and Cheren) are just as much your rivals as N.

Blue is overrated. Silver is too, but his ripping off the Team Rocket disguise was too hilarious, especially since I was playing as Lyra.

I can't decide on an absolute favorite, but I like all the Gen V people best. I like the friendliness and trust between you and them. I like N especially for his character development. His hat is nice, too. I like rivals with energy; I had fun watching Barry and Hugh run around. While Gen III is my absolute favorite one in the series, its rivals didn't engage me so much.

My vote goes to Hugh mostly because he's a total bro. In my opinion he strikes a nice balance between being nice and being a rival. Most of the jerk rivals where a bit too annoying and most of the nice rivals where a little too....well nice.

I don't remember much about Blue, since I was very young when I played red, but he seems pretty unlikable to me now and not in a good way either.

Silver too takes the being a jerk thing a little too far

I would have added characters like Brendan/May and N to the poll but they didn't feel like rivals at all. N was the antagonist more than a traditional rival.

Just about anyone other than Gary Oak Blue and Silver doesn't feel like a rival. And Cheren, too, I suppose. But he's got nothing on Blue and Silver.

I'm of the opinion that any so-called rival after Silver has been too "nice" or friendly with the player, even if they're trying to do better than you like Cheren and Barry.

I still get rivalry feeling from Pearl/Barry to be honest, although not as much as I did from Green and Silver. It is shame that Cheren despite his resolve and motivation he didn't exactly feels like rival and instead like other trainer who just happened to crossed our path. N have this motivation too, but maybe because he changed his team everytime we fight him, I rather treat him as an anti-hero antagonist than a rival.

gary motherfucking oak

silver is pretty cool too

i haven't played past gen three but I doubt they're better regardless, they look like chumps in their artwork

also nobias (credit to elieson)

61cccc5b5826d16b4b586457b64dc0d5.png

N because he's easy on the eyes, unlike the rest of those punk kids

I liked Silver as a rival. He doesn't exude hope, happiness, or kiddy values. He's there to kick ass, and you're in the way.

N because he's easy on the eyes, unlike the rest of those punk kids

I liked Silver as a rival. He doesn't exude hope, happiness, or kiddy values. He's there to kick ass, and you're in the way.

QFT

I don't think I ever thought Gary was cool; I think N beats everyone on the list hands down but then he's like my favourite pokemon character of all time.

I guess I like Hugh; can't decide b/w Cheren and hugh but what I do remember is I think his theme rocks so bias points for that theme. <3

Gonna have to go with Silver. Kid starts as a huge punk but he develops into a good trainer over time. Which is saying alot considering who his father is. I also like Special [the mangas] rendition of him.

Gary for 2nd favorite. These 2 say RIVAL more then the rest who feel more friendly or like N feel almost like an antagonist Like Silver he gets better but. Eh. I don't like him all that much.

Edited by Jedi

Blue strikes a ballance beetwen friendliness and Rivalry and get my obvious pick

While the rest of the rivals are incompetent prick who feels like a sore loser(Silver), incompetent friends(Barry and Gen 3) or a straight up friend and villain(gen 5 in general >_>)

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

• 2 weeks later...