Is it for love, or perhaps something more?

I pair my female Avatars with characters I like as a whole, not just for their look.

On my first file, I paired my Avatar with Gregor. Gregor is hilarious and his accent remember me of TF2's Heavy. And when he suggested to share a bed with me on our C-rank support, I knew I had to marry him.

On my second file, my avatar married Gangrel. I must admit, I do find Gangrel quite handsome but I like him mostly because he make me laugh, but there's also some times, when he's a bit more depressed, that I just want to hug him. I always had a thing for that kind of character.

Other male characters I wouldn't mind pairing my Avatar with are Brady and Kellam, both because they are quite funny, but they are also very sweet and they do anything to protect their friends and loved ones. Kellam remember me of a younger me with the whole "unnoticed" thing and I like how Brady look like a thug but he's actually very sensitive...

As for my male Avatar, I admit, I paired him with the girl I think is the hottest, a.k.a. Aversa. If I would have gone for personality, I would've paired him with Panne, but I wanted to pair Fem!Morgan to Yarne, so...

You win for keeping the topic on topic.

Edited by Kat

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I said Ashnard 2.0 mainly because Gangrel shares the same title as him. Mad King. xP

They don't really have that much in common beyond the title tbh. Ashnard's a Darwinist and doesn't actually care about his country all that much; his behavior and speech throughout the game fits his title perfectly. Gangrel though seems pretty lucid and I never really thought he was all that crazy. He's homicidal, but he's not really insane. He's also not the game's Darwinist, that's Walhart.

Mad King was still a better localization choice than Foolish King though (that was his title in the japanese version).

It has come to my attention that people seem to just drool over the bodies of certain hotties(Tiki, Cordelia, etc.). It gives me the idea that people loved those characters just for their bodies and base that as their reason for marrying them.

Any thoughts about this? I think it's pretty shallow to base love over something superficial as looks.

You know what I think? There ain't no love, period. It's a fucking video game, i.e. a bunch of data projected on a screen for entertainment purposes. Who gives a damn if people just pair their MUs with whoever has the best swimsuit pic? If you're bemoaning people for not having an emotional relationship with which piece of data that they pair their piece of data with, that's...well, it's weird as fuck.

Edited by Arch

I actually liked Walhart, at least far more than Gangrel (huge missed opportunity with him) or Validar (I'm such a badass I get killed like 6 times throughout the story). It's made clear that the whole Valm arc is about conflicting ideologies (the difference between him and Ashnard), rather than personal disagreements or the cliched revive-dark-god crap. The war's purpose is far bigger than just Chrom vs evil, as both sides have the same endgame, they just want to go about it different ways. Some small things greatly hinder this, though, such as Excellus being a secret turncoat, beard guy being such a shitty character, etc, but Walhart himself is great in his multiple appearances. In fact, I think he's the only paralogue character that isn't entirely ruined when brought back. His conversations with Avatar continues the whole ideological debate, and he does make some genuinely good points (that are entirely written off by "BUT FRIENDSHIP BEAT YOU", but whatever) that greatly attribute to his character.

Really, the game should have been about fighting Valm, because that shit's far more interesting than the plegia/grimleal crap. Total shame it was relegated to complete filler.

oh and he's also a potential husband so this is totally on topic

Edited by Constable Reggie

I actually liked Walhart, at least far more than Gangrel (huge missed opportunity with him) or Validar (I'm such a badass I get killed like 6 times throughout the story). It's made clear that the whole Valm arc is about conflicting ideologies (the difference between him and Ashnard), rather than personal disagreements or the cliched revive-dark-god crap. The war's purpose is far bigger than just Chrom vs evil, as both sides have the same endgame, they just want to go about it different ways. Some small things greatly hinder this, though, such as Excellus being a secret turncoat, beard guy being such a shitty character, etc, but Walhart himself is great in his multiple appearances. In fact, I think he's the only paralogue character that isn't entirely ruined when brought back. His conversations with Avatar continues the whole ideological debate, and he does make some genuinely good points (that are entirely written off by "BUT FRIENDSHIP BEAT YOU", but whatever) that greatly attribute to his character.

Really, the game should have been about fighting Valm, because that shit's far more interesting than the plegia/grimleal crap. Total shame it was relegated to complete filler.

oh and he's also a potential husband so this is totally on topic

The most interesting arc in the game was definitely the Valm arc, and I wish IS didn't totally make a filler out of the entire thing. Grima and Walhart were pretty disappointing villains, but I liked Walhart and even Excellus had an interesting dynamic. Yen'fay had potential, too, but of course FE13 poorly executed it.

Well, I said Ashnard 2.0 mainly because Gangrel shares the same title as him. Mad King. xP

Localization nitpick: They probably chose that title because it can be turned into a reference.

狂王 (Mad King) and 暗愚王 (Foolish King) as far as their implications in Japanese are two different things. It's about as different as their characters.

"Foolish King" IMHO fits Gangrel more... his outfit as a trickster reminds me of "King's fools" and how fabulous his outfit is.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Gangrel didnt even strike me as all that "mad." He struck me as a giggling villain who had a huge grudge. Quite different from Ashnard who was quite batshit and a social darwinist.

I think the word "mad" in the title refers more to insanity rather than anger. Which both Ashnard and Gangrel exhibit, if you ask me. xP

Also, Frederick must know I love him so much. <3 I boot up my game for the first time in awhile and what's the first thing he does in battle? *Luna + critical* "Pick a god and pray!"

Kelli: :wub:

Me: Ohhh, YESSS! YES, GO FREDDY BEAR! I friggin LOVE you! <3

There is just no way in hell Kelli's marrying anyone else in future playthroughs.

Edited by Anacybele

Its pretty ironic to think that someone with background like Gangrel manage to "kill" the descendant of Marth >_>

And then story falls down. If you know what I meant

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

A well-written character can still be a terrible character. There is nothing to justify what Tharja is done. Once you abuse your own child, any sympathy or understanding reason they might have is thrown out the window.

Even if the only curses Tharja used on Noire were "harmless" ones like running-nose curses, it's still an ultimate level of low to use your own child as a guinea pig for curses. Noire's father had tried to tell Tharja not to curse Noire, but he ended up getting cursed as well.

Not all abuse is limited to physical abuse. We don't know what kind of curses Tharja uses on Noire, what if she used painful ones too? Noire's split personality is proof enough of that, as well as her shy timid personality. People who are abused as children tend to turn out like that; as a victim of emotional abuse, I would know. It's not okay, it's never okay. And knowing what a horrible person Tharja is, I wouldn't rule out she abused Noire.

First of all, those curses that obviously marred Noire? They were done by an alternate universe version of Tharja, one whos husband was either dead, or everybody thought was dead (in the case of the Avatar). Blaming what she did on the Tharja currently alive is unfair.

Secondly, Tharja is not entirely sane. This should be immediately obvious. Few characters from Plegia are. She herself talks about how she was trained in the art of dark magic from the moment her umbilical cord was cut. That's not a happy family. Frankly, the fact that she has any moral code whatsoever is impressive.

Are there nicer girls in the game? Good god, yes. Are there better mothers? Again, yes.

Tharja does the best she can with what she knows, and while hardly a beacon of morality or motherly love, she's not raw evil either. Towards the end of her coversation with Morgan and Noire, she obviously begins to warm up to people that she had regarded as something of an intruder.

Her reaction isn't perfect. It's not what you might want. But it fits her and shows that she's trying.

Edited by Onestep

The Tharja x Morgan conversations are generic, so they shouldn't really count.

They're actually somewhat unique, in that Tharja obviously doesn't really like or understand Morgan until the A support, while other parents do.

They're actually somewhat unique, in that Tharja obviously doesn't really like or understand Morgan until the A support, while other parents do.

Her A support isn't that much better. She says a whopping 12 words in the convo, and it definitely doesn't feel like she's opening up to her. It's just too generic.

Secondly, Tharja is not entirely sane. This should be immediately obvious. Few characters from Plegia are. She herself talks about how she was trained in the art of dark magic from the moment her umbilical cord was cut. That's not a happy family. Frankly, the fact that she has any moral code whatsoever is impressive.

There are 3 characters from Plegia in your team(eventually)

The first is Tharja

The second is Gangrel, who has this LOLTERRIBLECHILDHOOD and his Mad King stuff, which is basically a war victim

The third is Henry, who is by far the nicest male character in the team, really mature in a lot of his supports, being a good father is his ending, and is easilly one of the most developed character in the cast

So, yeah Tharja being insane(and underdeveloped) is pretty surprising, especially when your other character from Plegia is.... like that

Well, Tharja develops some more in JP ver. Some. Not much, if I recall, but some.

Also, kinda sad that the only way to save Gangrel's life is for FeMU to marry him. I'd like to think my prize psycho zerker-sassin wouldn't die, but live on and reform after he callmed down. Nope. Despair and death. Foolish dude. If Lifis was in this game, I think those two should have a conversation or something.'

Also, isn't Avatar also Plegian...?

Also, isn't Avatar also Plegian...?

One has to be at least slightly insane to attempt to lead a campaign against a giant dragon controlled by an alternate timeline version of yourself.

Edited by shadowofchaos

One has to be at least slightly insane to attempt to lead a campaign against a giant dragon controlled by an alternate timeline version of yourself.

He's got the power of friendship and love. He'll be fine.

...Why this didn't happen before and there required a time paradox, I'll never know...

Defenitely not love, but I didn't marry Sumia because I found her hot. True, I did find her quite pretty at the start, and I intended to marry her to Chrom (because the game seemed to want that) but ended up growing to her and end up marrying her. Reguarding her personality- I found it funny and adorable (and also kind of sad...) how damn clumsy and self-concious she is.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought some characters were pretty, but not really "hot", so I would wanna marry them.

I married people for the children! I matched people up according to hair color (and skills), since I wanted them to actually LOOK like their parent.