Which FF game should I play?

Chiki

I've played FF6, 7 and 10 so far.

I can't play FF8 and 9 till my PSP gets repaired (also, would you suggest playing them on a PSP?), and I'll consider buying FF12 if people think it's good.

I want to play the FF4 remake but I gave my DS Lite to someone so I can't just play the remakes.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing FF9 on PSP will work just fine, if you don't mind the screen size. I played through a bit of 12 - it's amusing, but I'm not sure what your stance on optional bosses/side quests is. The level-up system is, um, unique, for lack of a better word. The stronger attacks require some luck and decent reflexes, and I don't know if that's your cup of tea.

Once you get your PSP back, see if you can get FF Tactics (the PSP one). I don't know if you're interested in min/maxing that game (or possibly LTC, since there are turns counted and all). I think you'll like it, if you can get past how complicated the story can be.

FFT doesn't count turns at all, although characters do take turns. The closest equivalent to LTC would be efficient speedrunning, which applies to all FFs and not just FFT I guess.

Anyway, FFT is remade for the PSP (War of the Lions) so I'd get that next. It's the most similar FF to the FE series and just one of the best RPGs in history according to a lot of people. Efficiency playthroughs are possible and there's much flexibility because the options are numerous (yet you can just follow the main storyline and disregard everything else if you like). Less linear than FE though.

FF13 is criticised for being too linear so perhaps that game is perfect for efficiency play? I just might get a PS3 when I have a more stable source of income because these things are getting pretty cheap.

FF12 is a love it or hate it game, very non-linear and very different from the FF norm. I'd rent it in your place if possible first, and if you like it enough you might as well buy it because it keeps you busy for several hundred hours.

FFT is my favorite in regards to story, though I'm probably just a sucker for political-themed ones. FF5 is leaps and bounds ahead of everything else in terms of gameplay, imo.

I think FF10-2 has a better twist on the job/class system, but this is a view that has never been challenged because people are not used to hearing anything positive about the game so they don't know what to say. Tactical reclassing in the midst of the battle to better fit the situation and/or reap the benefits from Garment Grids is just not given any credit. Mascot is a huge PITA to get however, but there are all these other jobs.

I also love the value of timing in 10-2 battles, and this idea was logically continued in FF12, ending in blatant abuse - interrupt an enemy's attack at the highest gameplay speed, and rape the target with physical attacks while the spell takes its time to go off - pretty brutal, and the level of manipulation possible is beyond reasonable.

10-2 has one of the worst stories perhaps, but you only care about the story once, and I'd rather skip cutscenes in 10-2 and enjoy the superior combat than play the slower FF10 and endure another 30 hours of Tidus whining and crying and other drama.

I've never had the (mis?)fortune to play X-2 (or X), probably because of all the criticism I've heard about it. I'll definitely get on about trying it out though, thanks to the magical and evil powers of emulation. Though I've really no desire whatsoever to play FF12, even if it is set in Ivalice.

I've always preferred a job class system in FF games, I personally think it's much more enjoyable than the ones with preset or no classes. So even if FF3 is still super frustrating, I still love it to bits because fuck yeah jobs are awesome.

Though admittedly I really like the junction system too.

Edited by Constable Reggie

I'm gonna buy FF12 but it'll take some time for the game to come. I'm not too sure about buying X-2 because I don't want to spend money on fanservice.

Should I play the FF4 remake or just FF4 on the Wii by Virtual Console?

And yes, I'll be playing FF8 and 9 once I get my PSP repaired.

Edited by Chiki

FF13 is criticised for being too linear so perhaps that game is perfect for efficiency play? I just might get a PS3 when I have a more stable source of income because these things are getting pretty cheap.

the earlier, non-linear final fantasy games are definitely faster, especially if you exploit glitches

however, even FF12 is like 6 hours with a speedrun, so yeah

Edited by shadykid

Dunno why everyone hates FF10 (X), I thought it was a very interesting, gripping story and the gameplay was enjoyable for me; I guess it helps that its currently the only FF game I've fully beaten yet (stuck in the middle of FF9, FF 10-2, and FF13), but it was my introduction to series. Yes, Tidus can be annoying sometimes, but I feel like he's a breath of fresh air compared to all of the other protagonists who are sullen and sulky. And I love Yuna, so she balances that out. Very good game that deserves to played IMO. But then, you've already played it...

FF 10-2....I won't defend that one as much since I'm not quite sure what was going through their heads when they made this one, but the gameplay as said before is very interesting and can be fun, and the story does have its good points at times, which is the reason I wanted to play since I wanted closure on the end of FF10. I'm not quite sure if that's what I'm going to get, but I'll wait till the ending to judge that. The main reason I'm having trouble with it is because of the sheer amount of damn minigames you have to complete in order to get a good ending....that has put me off for awhile....

FF9 is great so far, still only a third of the way through since I'm playing that on good old PS2 and my sister only just brought it back with her from college, but I like it so far!

FF13 is so-so for me so far. It is really linear as said before, so if you like going around where you want rather than where the story dictates....it won't be as fun. Still, the battle system is interesting, and the story is interesting as well, once you wrap your head around it. Then again, its been several months since I last played it, so I'm not sure I'd remember well what was going on.....Anyways, good game so far, but it might not appeal to someone who likes more of the features of previous games.

And those are the only ones I've played for main series (unless we talk Crystal Chronicles, and NO ONE ever talks about that...)

Edited by Silver Lightning

The FF4 remake on the DS significantly increases the difficulty of the gameplay, because the North American version of FF4 was somewhat dumbed down. I recommend the remake if you want a challenge. The script was updated to have a more formal tone as well.

Personally, I like 8. Junctioning means you rarely use your stocked magic but I like that level of micromanagement. The plot is good for disc 1 and 2 but kinda dives off a cliff from disc 3, and yet overall it is a much more entertaining game than say, 13.

I really dislike 13. The gameplay is speedy but revolves more around your paradigm change timing more so than the moves you use due to autobattle. The plot is all over the place and yet terribly repetitive. If I had to recommend any FF game to skip, it would be this one.

If you don't care about story that much, the FF3 DS remake is a nice foray into the job system, but I have no idea if FF5 is better or worse in that regard.

FF3 (DS) was a bit boring for me. It's kind of grindy due to the way the job system works. The graphics were pretty nice, though.

FF5 (GBA) is totally awesome; no storyline whatsoever, but the gameplay is totally fluid, and there's some interesting postgame stuff I never finished.

FFT is also a lot of fun, though not as tactical as the title implies. The writing's pretty good, too. Don't get the PSP remake; the script will quite honestly make your eyes bleed.

Edited by Redwall

FF3 (DS) was a bit boring for me. It's kind of grindy due to the way the job system works. The graphics were pretty nice, though.

FF5 (GBA) is totally awesome; no storyline whatsoever, but the gameplay is totally fluid, and there's some interesting postgame stuff I never finished.

FFT is also a lot of fun, though not as tactical as the title implies. The writing's pretty good, too. Don't get the PSP remake; the script will quite honestly make your eyes bleed.

Somebody told me they thought it was hilarious because Algus' peasant hatred was that over the top

X-2 has the best battle system in FF so by all means. The storyline won't make much sense if you didn't play FFX first though, but then again you won't be disappointed with it if you skip FFX because some think X sets a standard too high.

I don't really want a challenge too much.

I bought FF4 for the Virtual Console.

Is X-2 worth playing even though it was made purely for sales?

Story: 6

If you didn't play FF10 then you won't get much of the story or the references.

Gameplay:8

It combines FF10 gameplay with FF Tactics class system to form unique battle system. It feels smooth and rewarding.

Summary: in short yeah it's worth the buy even though you won't get the full experience unless you play the previous title.

If you haven't played the International version of X, you could always wait and get the HD Remaster, which includes X-2 and the International content for both.

The ones I'd recommend were already mentioned(4 and 9) :P

Edited by PKLucas531

The Remasters are also coming out on PS3, if you have that.

If possible I'd also give FF12 International Zodiac Job System a try, everyone that's played it has told me it's a big improvement over FF12 regular (unsure what the extra stuff is, though)

Edited by PKLucas531

FFX-2 is a tough call. Story wise, it's basically Charlie's Angels Spira Edition (and not in a good way, which why it gets as much heat as it does). However, it did implement some neat ideas and modeled the combat system after the older games. The added classes are nice, and you can change mid-battle.

You might try the FFIII remake for DS/Android/iPhone/iPad if you haven't played it already. It's pretty good, though there is a leveling trick that makes it stupid easy (if you use it). It's also got an NES era plot: really shallow, but gets the job done. The real draw is the enormous list of classes to diversify gameplay.

The FF4 remake on the DS significantly increases the difficulty of the gameplay, because the North American version of FF4 was somewhat dumbed down. I recommend the remake if you want a challenge. The script was updated to have a more formal tone as well.

Personally, I like 8. Junctioning means you rarely use your stocked magic but I like that level of micromanagement. The plot is good for disc 1 and 2 but kinda dives off a cliff from disc 3, and yet overall it is a much more entertaining game than say, 13.

I really dislike 13. The gameplay is speedy but revolves more around your paradigm change timing more so than the moves you use due to autobattle. The plot is all over the place and yet terribly repetitive. If I had to recommend any FF game to skip, it would be this one.

If you don't care about story that much, the FF3 DS remake is a nice foray into the job system, but I have no idea if FF5 is better or worse in that regard.

Bolded: Play it without auto-battle? It's pretty awesome that way. Remember it's optional.

Anyway, I would recommend:

FF12- this game has very good gameplay. The story is meh, but if you value gameplay more than that, this will be your cup of tea. Lots of sidequests and exploration to do. A nice battle system and hunting missions will keep you entertained for quite a while. It's not my favorite, but I appreciate it's gameplay a lot.

FF9- This game was my first FF. And boy, it's a good one. Lots of things to do, nice story, nice gameplay, interesting cast of characters, good music. This game has it all.

FF13- It's linear, but the story and gameplay are neat imo. Autobattle could make things boring, but it's optional. The battle system is pretty fun to me with it's paradigm change mechanic. Be warned though, aside from the it's linear as fuck complaints, I have another one: There's this character called Snow that ruins any scene he's in by shouting: "Seraaaaaaaaaaaaah". Ugh. It gets less linear in Chapter 11 btw, but sadly, that's a long way off. Not a bad game though.

FF4- Pretty cool. Classic FF gameplay. I dont remember much of anything from the story so I cant comment on that. I just know I had fun with it. The DS one has stupid stuff like not being able to switch your party members though. I hated that shit. Since I wanted the epic YANG on my team instead of that stupid Edge ninja dude they forced on me. Gah.