FE6 Localization Patch v1.2.1 - Full localization with new features, including Support Conversation reader

By the way, speaking of legendary weapons, just as an idea of sorts, what would people think of Apocalypse being spelled "Apocalipse"? It's apparently Middle English. Old-timey names like this are often used in FE instead of a more straightforward one, so I thought it might be interesting without going so far as to change the name itself.

Middle-English largely had no spelling standard. Written words were scripted as they sounded to the hearer; in letters and statements, people would often write several words, their own names included, multiple times with different spellings.

When one opens, say, Chaucer's 'Troilus and Criseyde', and see uniform spelling, that is because the editor(s) chose to take one spelling and use it throughout the text.

There are as many variations of apocalypse in Middle-English as there were speakers.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm certainly no expert on Middle English. I just found it as an origin word for "apocalypse" in the dictionary. If it's as you say then I guess it's pretty pointless to go with the alternate spelling.

Inserted most of the chapter graphics, but some were larger than the current graphic. Granted, they COULD still be okay if they're no bigger than the Japanese graphics... but since they haven't been tested, I don't really want to risk it.

These ones were

C15 (A0A800)

C3 (A02000)

C6 (A03800)

C23 (A12800)

Epilogue (A15000)

With these and supports inserted, I might as well release a new version!

OCTOBER 4th 2013 PATCH ~Up to Chapter 16x--Now with All Support Conversations~

http://www.mediafire.com/?lafjodx14az3z99

Patch a Japanese FE6 ROM using a program that can handle .ups files like NUPS.

ANYONE (emphasis on anyone) who wants to help test supports is very welcome to do so. If you make it to an A support without issues, great, let me know, and if you find some issues, okay, tell me what they are. I suppose I should set up a checklist system that can be seen by anyone so everyone knows what supports still need testing. I'll figure that out in the coming days I guess.

i just tested them in my guinea-pig ROM, and all five of the listed chapter graphics function just fine. i'm no expert, but i get the feeling that their position in the ROM gives them a very substantial amount of space between each (not sure how offsets translate to data size but there's a good 8000 difference between each offset). i guess there IS an advantage to the original fan translators inserting all their translated graphics in the end and repointing them: this probably would've been a problem had they just inserted them in their original positions, so they gave themselves some substantial breathing room by setting them up in the back

or something i probably just embarrass myself when i try to talk SERIOUS TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS i don't suppose anyone who knows what they're talking about can confirm how wrong i am?

The GBA can natively address up to 32MB, if memory serves. Expanding the ROM up to that space gives you free reign to handle (most) data however you please. Relocating and repointing data to this expanded space is pretty normal practice. The only catch is that you keep good records of what space and range is taken up with what, so that you don't fumble over your own rearranging.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, want to apologize for a lack of updates recently. The truth is, there are a few lines I can't get to sound as good as I'd like them to, so I've been mulling them over a bit. Realistically though, with supports finished, I think I'm well over the hump.

As a note, though: the Ch. 17 Ilia route chapter graphic is still scrambled. Could it be that it's pointing to the wrong index?

Edited by gringe

whoops sorry i kinda completely forgot about the support beta-testing thing i've been mildly busy lately ahahaha yeah right

i put an appeal out on Tumblr to try and recruit some further help with the effort (if there's one thing the Tumblr FE fandom loves, it's supports, so this seemed like a good idea) but so far no takers, with the exception of a friend who's mentioned not seeing any problems with Lalum's supports so far up to B rank. it was kind of a long shot but hey, if it makes me look like i'm doing something without actually doing anything...

Gringe, you've done a great job. I just wanted to thank you for all the hours of effort you've put into this so far. Keep up the good work! :):

Thanks! Honestly this is encouraging.

You want to send me a PM or something? I'd like to try if you're interested.

Maybe at some point.

i put an appeal out on Tumblr to try and recruit some further help with the effort (if there's one thing the Tumblr FE fandom loves, it's supports, so this seemed like a good idea) but so far no takers, with the exception of a friend who's mentioned not seeing any problems with Lalum's supports so far up to B rank. it was kind of a long shot but hey, if it makes me look like i'm doing something without actually doing anything...

Hey, that's more than enough. Realistically, I probably should have expected not to have anyone willing to help test. Once the patch is "done" I'll leave it open for a while so I can go and make corrections and changes if necessary at that point.

okay i just sat down and got a few supports out of the way

i can confirm the following supports function with no problems and no particularly egregious errors:

• Lilina/Gonzales, all ranks
  • Klain/Deke, all ranks
  • Klain/Perceval, all ranks
  • Elphin/Perceval, all ranks
  • Cecilia/Perceval, B and A ranks only
  • Douglas/Perceval, all ranks
  • Dorothy/Perceval, all ranks

the Cecilia/Perceval C rank is sound in terms of script, but the portraits are the wrong way around so you've got Cecilia asking if Cecilia's wounds are healed and then lamenting her failure to escape the coup d'etat

there's probably some things in the script itself which could do with smoothing over too, but confirming functionality was my priority; i recorded videos of all of them so i'll likely go over them again for nitpicking purposes later

Edited by bookofholsety

Wow, great, thanks for that. Percy/Cecilia's C rank won't be tough to fix.

Since I kind of plowed through supports pretty quickly I'm sure some of the writing could be better. The plan for when the script is done is to go through the script and make improvements after it's all in place. Of course, the more help the better, and that can certainly be started before the script is complete.

• 2 weeks later...

Codebreaker codes to the rescue:

----------------------------------------------------
- 7 - Digits and Support Character Slot Lists -
----------------------------------------------------
Support Levels

In these codes, replace the ## with:
3c=Support C ready, just need to talk
3d=Support C
78=Support B ready, just need to talk (?)
79=Support B
c8=Support A ready, just need to talk
c9=Support A

3202ABF3 0078
3202AC3C 0078

------------------
- Slot 2 -
------------------
Slot 1 3202ABF0 00## Support 1
Slot 2 3202ABF1 00## Support 2
Slot 3 3202ABF2 00## Support 3
Slot 4 3202ABF3 00## Support 4
Slot 5 3202ABF4 00## Support 5
Slot 6 3202ABF5 00## Support 6
Slot 7 3202ABF6 00## Support 7
Slot 8 3202ABF7 00## Support 8
Slot 9 3202ABF8 00## Support 9
Slot 10 3202ABF9 00## Support 10

------------------
- Slot 3 -
------------------
Slot 1 3202AC38 00## Support 1
Slot 2 3202AC39 00## Support 2
Slot 3 3202AC3A 00## Support 3
Slot 4 3202AC3B 00## Support 4
Slot 5 3202AC3C 00## Support 5
Slot 6 3202AC3D 00## Support 6
Slot 7 3202AC3E 00## Support 7
Slot 8 3202AC3F 00## Support 8
Slot 9 3202AC40 00## Support 9
Slot 10 3202AC41 00## Support 10

(character slots 2 and 3 listed because this was copied from my notes, not the gamefaqs original, and i was testing non-Roy pairings to start)

just figure out which slot is who for each character with a bit of trial and error, plug in the ready and just need to talk values at the ends of each, and voila, the whole thing is slightly easier. it's much less of a headache than my first method: hole the happy couple up in a barricaded corner of chapter 12 and waste turns until supports happen

Edited by bookofholsety

bookofholsety: Not sure I understand but it seems like a promising idea.

Vennobennu: Actually I was considering doing something like that. Would probably be faster than getting all the supports legitimately anyway.

And then you'd have to undo those changes when yiou're finished. MAJOR pain.

Couldn't you also just do a double-patch--one which adds the extra support, and one which resets it to default? That would automate all of the reverts pretty quickly :o

The cheat method bookofholsety described is a pretty easy way of doing this, though.

I haven't really checked on this, so Idk if this was answered, but are you planning on editing the weapon info box? Just in case you don't know what I'm talking about (which is perfectly understandable, since I'm running on 3 cans of Red Bull right now at 4 AM), here's what I'm talking about:

a3gm26T.png

In FE7, the words weren't abbreviated but they did push the rest to the right, which fully filled the entire box. In FE6, when looking at the description for any 3-any ranged weapon or staff, the range numbers collide with word the "Range", making it look like a garbled mess.

Of course like usual, this is only a suggestion.

Edited by Rokklaggio