Wyern Riders/Lords & Great Knights completely outclass Knights/Generals

Junkhead

So is this thread about Great Knights (and Wyern Lords apparently) across the whole series, or just in Awakening? It's in the general section but people seem to only be focusing on Awakening.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this is in General, I'm assuming that FE8 has a fair representation of discussion inclusiveness.

Wyvern lords skip Pierce in fe8, which is pretty horrible given its decent activation rate. The extra couple of stat points don't make much of a difference when it becomes Skill vs No Skill. GK gets full WTC over Paladin, and +2 mov over General, and both don't get hit by anything for notable damage late game anyway. That move reduction hurts late/Postgame, but maps aren't that huge so it shouldn't hurt that badly.

GK is a superior JoAT (unless LTC, then Paladins are quite sufficient) in fe8.

Since this is in General, I'm assuming that FE8 has a fair representation of discussion inclusiveness.

Wyvern lords skip Pierce in fe8, which is pretty horrible given its decent activation rate. The extra couple of stat points don't make much of a difference when it becomes Skill vs No Skill. GK gets full WTC over Paladin, and +2 mov over General, and both don't get hit by anything for notable damage late game anyway. That move reduction hurts late/Postgame, but maps aren't that huge so it shouldn't hurt that badly.

GK is a superior JoAT (unless LTC, then Paladins are quite sufficient) in fe8.

Err, Great Knights only have 6 move in FE8. And personally, I'd say Paladins > Great Knights in FE8.

Wyvern lords skip Pierce in fe8, which is pretty horrible given its decent activation rate. The extra couple of stat points don't make much of a difference when it becomes Skill vs No Skill.

Yeah but Wyvern Lords also get access to axes as well while Wyvern Knights are stuck being lance locked meaning they have absolutely no control over the weapon triangle.

Yeah but Wyvern Lords also get access to axes as well while Wyvern Knights are stuck being lance locked meaning they have absolutely no control over the weapon triangle.

As this is FE8 we're talking about, they got swords, not axes.

Pavise and Aegis are both > Dual Guard+, last I checked

But if one is playing the passive role in pair-up Dual Guard is infinately surperior to Pavise and Aegis.

Edited by Merry Sioux

Oh another thing that makes Great Knights cooler than Paladins and Generals, imo, is that they say fuck it to the weapon triangle. They use all three weapons in it! :D

Err, Great Knights only have 6 move in FE8. And personally, I'd say Paladins > Great Knights in FE8.

Paladins are clearly more than enough to take the game over in storm, but where'd I say anything about GK movement (other than comparing it to generals, which I derped and meant +1 mov anyway)? Or is tha what you meant? I was thinking of Amelia's 4mov as a lolknight and forgot promo bonus.

And Levant, thanks, I was gonna cal that out too. Having swords is rather pointless when by the time you promote to WK, javelins never miss and you just 1~2 everything anyway, with the occasional killer/silver lance for boss kills.

Edited by Elieson

But if one is playing the passive role in pair-up Dual Guard is infinately surperior to Pavise and Aegis.

True, though unlike Great Knight, I actually have a good reason to take an extended stay as a Paladin or General. Dual Guard+, as I see it, is only really useful for Apotheosis.

Paladins are clearly more than enough to take the game over in storm, but where'd I say anything about GK movement (other than comparing it to generals, which I derped and meant +1 mov anyway)? Or is tha what you meant? I was thinking of Amelia's 4mov as a lolknight and forgot promo bonus.

That's what I meant - I don't really use Gilliam in FE8. Also, I kinda think Great Knights having the same move as foot units defeats the purpose of being mounted in the first place.

Edited by Levant Fortner

Oh another thing that makes Great Knights cooler than Paladins and Generals, imo, is that they say fuck it to the weapon triangle. They use all three weapons in it! :D

Which is rather silly of Awakening as Generals have used more weapons over the series then any class other then Paladin and Great Knights are supposed to be specialized in Axes.

And General is certainly outclassed by Wyvern Lords, even in Radiant Dawn where Generals are at their best.

They are better then Great Knight in Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn.

I wish Awakening had continued Radiant Dawn's measures to improve Generals and Snipers. Low Movement and lack of countering are big issues.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

Well they gave Great Knights control over the weapon triangle in the Sacred Stones and probably used that game as a base for the class branching. So I'd blame Sacred Stones for messing up the weapon balance more than Awakening.

Well they gave Great Knights control over the weapon triangle in the Sacred Stones and probably used that game as a base for the class branching. So I'd blame Sacred Stones for messing up the weapon balance more than Awakening.

Sacred Stones also gave full weapon triangle control to Generals, though. With only swords and lances, Great Knights would have been even more inferior to Paladins, even if it made Generals less inferior to Great Knights, so it's hard to claim that Sacred Stones "messed it up" when faced with the impossible task of balancing out Great Knights with Generals and Paladins simultaneously.

Someone hasn't played the Japan exclusives...

Duh, they've never been released out here and I don't emulate. How was I supposed to know that Sacred Stones wasn't the first game they appeared in?

All of the axe specific ones have been unarmored though haven't they? Even if the original name is the same there are two distinct types of great knight, one that's just an axe specific paladin and one that is an armored mounted unit with full weapon triangle control.

Duh, they've never been released out here and I don't emulate. How was I supposed to know that Sacred Stones wasn't the first game they appeared in?

Perhaps you could've tried researching the matter before you start stating facts that aren't true.

On topic: Has there ever been a time where using a Knight/General was preferable to another tanky character/class?

Perhaps you could've tried researching the matter before you start stating facts that aren't true.

On topic: Has there ever been a time where using a Knight/General was preferable to another tanky character/class?

Several points in RD, though Wyvern Lords are still better overall including tanking.

Maybe I didn't think I needed to. There's no need to treat me like I'm an idiot.