Religion and natural disasters

Chiki

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come to think of it, I don't actually remember any particular reference to destructive natural disasters as expressions of divine anger or anything (at least from, say, the big three), despite that being the assumption I jumped to. I'm not even vaguely literate religiously, though, so +1 blank slate here

Edited by Rehab

Come to think of it, I don't actually remember any particular reference to destructive natural disasters as expressions of divine anger or anything (at least from, say, the big three), despite that being the assumption I jumped to. I'm not even vaguely literate religiously, though, so +1 blank slate here

In the Torah, the 10 plagues are sent to the Egyptians to get the Israelites free, Sodom and Gomorrah are destroyed because they commit crimes of Sodomy and...Gomorrahty (sp?), and I believe the earth swallows up some of the people on the trek through the Sinai desert because they're rebelling against god or the other jews or something. There could be more but I am not sure of it.

The one against Sodom and Gomorrah is a sort of "death from above" kinda thing, and it may be more of a divine disaster, whatever that means.

Edited by SeverIan

Divine anger seems a little wrong to me. It'd be evil and hypocritical for God to kill.

Let the record show that Chiki said it first :p

I mean it's the kind of thing I'd expect to hear from, like, a stereotypical westboro baptist type

In the Torah, the 10 plagues are sent to the Egyptians to get the Israelites free, Sodom and Gomorrah are destroyed because they commit crimes of Sodomy and...Gomorrahty (sp?), and I believe the earth swallows up some of the people on the trek through the Sinai desert because they're rebelling against god or the other jews or something. There could be more but I am not sure of it.

The one against Sodom and Gomorrah is a sort of "death from above" kinda thing, and it may be more of a divine disaster, whatever that means.

Well yeah, should've mentioned that, but I mean I'm having a hard time remembering if in addition there's like a section that goes "consult this list of geophysical-phenomena-to-divine-instruction translations to understand how God's feelin' right now"

If by "religion" you mean the the three largest monotheistic religions, then I can only speak from a christian knowledge base, as that's all I'm really versed in.

As stated already, there are a few occasions in the Bible where God expresses his wrath on people through some kind of calamity, but natural disasters in and of themselves are just that. Natural. The ol good book doesnt ever say that all disasters are manifestly God's will. I suppose that with the usually prescribed qualities of being omnipotent and omniscient you could say that they must be, but then that goes down into the generally fruitless line of thought that tries to understand why God does things

the usual answer being that we dont know on account of God being incomprehensible to the human mind

Divine anger seems a little wrong to me. It'd be evil and hypocritical for God to kill.

Evil? Hypocritical? Why? Divine wrath is perfectly in-character for a God who one of his own premiere prophets (Moses in Deut. 2:24) described as "a consuming fire" who "hates evil". Old-testament God messed up anyone who crossed him, and even people who didn't, like in Job, just to prove a point

he just that kind of guy

If by "religion" you mean the the three largest monotheistic religions, then I can only speak from a christian knowledge base, as that's all I'm really versed in.

As stated already, there are a few occasions in the Bible where God expresses his wrath on people through some kind of calamity, but natural disasters in and of themselves are just that. Natural. The ol good book doesnt ever say that all disasters are manifestly God's will. I suppose that with the usually prescribed qualities of being omnipotent and omniscient you could say that they must be, but then that goes down into the generally fruitless line of thought that tries to understand why God does things

the usual answer being that we dont know on account of God being incomprehensible to the human mind

Evil? Hypocritical? Why? Divine wrath is perfectly in-character for a God who one of his own premiere prophets (Moses in Deut. 2:24) described as "a consuming fire" who "hates evil". Old-testament God messed up anyone who crossed him, and even people who didn't, like in Job, just to prove a point

he just that kind of guy

How do modern day religious people avoid that explanation though?

The things I most commonly remember hearing (from people who aren't misanthropic assholes) trended towards "He works in mysterious ways/has a plan, don't question it+do your part and you'll see the big picture will turn out alright later"

I think it's "blame sin" as in fall of man, corruption of the world He originally created, etc etc and then God doesn't step in to say "NO" to the earthquake because He's allowing the world to (mostly) go on without much interference on his part. Maybe something like that? The general idea being that the world is degenerating as a result of the original sin rather than on an upward path, so this kind of thing is to be expected and God's not going to prevent every little or big thing that could harm people.

I was hoping I'd get a somewhat rational answer from a religious person. I guess there isn't one. I am disappoint.

I felt that no good would come from responding to the issue the topic raised. This is why I choose not to answer it.

I was hoping I'd get a somewhat rational answer from a religious person. I guess there isn't one. I am disappoint.

Well...

I felt that no good would come from responding to the issue the topic raised. This is why I choose not to answer it.

That.

Judaism and Christianity would explain this by appealing to the Book of Job: the short answer is that God's ways are thought to be beyond our understanding. Whether this is in actuality an incredibly profound insight or a lame-brained apology is a mystery.

Here's an even better question. Why did God kill 1/3 the population of Europe with the Black Plague in the Middle Ages?

Loaded question. Good job. Consistant.

Here's an even better question, "have you stopped being a(n) (enter derogatory term here)?"

Edited by Narga_Rocks

It's "consistent."

I'm genuinely curious because I'm taking a graduate level class on religion in a few months.

Then ask "What is religion's answer to the black plague" or "Why did god allow or cause the black plague" or something. Don't just state in your question that he did something when that portion is in debate as well.

Same answer as I gave before, btw. Crap happens, and God doesn't see fit to prevent it. As for the why He doesn't see fit to stop certain things? No idea, you'll have to ask someone more willing to attempt to step into His mind than me. I don't actually think the Bible says why God allows stuff to happen. It says why He does some of the things He does take credit for, but since I'm assuming God didn't reach down and spread the virus the Bible probably doesn't have an answer for it. But it's a simple chain, Original Sin -> Fall of Man/the world -> bad stuff now exists -> that stuff can spread in natural circumstances like rats and other stuff. I don't see why every bad thing would have to be caused by God, unless you give God credit for the OS, which is fine because lots of people lay the blame/credit on His feet for that one.

And I usually double-check spellings, but ent/ant often gets me in the place where I think I've got it when I don't. Oh well.

I don't see why every bad thing would have to be caused by God

If I'm not mistaken what you're trying to say here is that it isn't his fault if he didn't cause something to happen, like natural disasters and so on?

Say you were walking down the street and you saw a woman getting gangraped by 3 men. You had a mobile phone and you knew the address of the place you were in so you could call the police if you wanted to. Would you be wrong not to help?

Same logic applies to God, an omnipotent being, who can interfere and stop anything he chooses. Why doesn't he choose to stop the deaths of millions of people due to natural disasters and such?

According to our laws, God is a criminal (he's an accessory to the crimes that go on in the world).

An accessory is a person who assists in the commission of a crime, but who does not actually participate in the commission of the crime as a joint principal

Does he assist in the commission of a crime even though he doesn't participate in it? Yes. God probably has hundreds of times more deaths than Hitler on his shoulders.

Edited by Chiki