Some of Those Supports...

Robinigo

You know, I haven't done it myself, but I've seen it, and I really don't like the Chapter 21 extra scene (assuming I'm thinking of the right thing). I dunno, I just don't like the FeMUxChrom pairing. Even with this added scene, I just still get this feeling that she loves Chrom more than me. I guess the point of that scene was to show that's not the case, but... It still feels like Lucina is totally, 100% attached to Chrom, tolerates her siblings and normal mothers, and hates FeMU as a parent.

And there are other ways to OP Lucina. Like anyone who's not Maiden (or Sully).

EDIT: Wow, that was a lot of posts real fast. Maybe I should have quoted after all.

And I've never seen the Lover scene, but still, I bet it's "I love my dad more than my husband". Thanks, Lucy-dear...

Edited by Valorous_Roland

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, Sully and Maribelle rules

Too bad I shipped Sully with Stahl because Chrom is not worthy >_>

PFFT. THIS.

The only thing about Chrom x Maribelle is that I can't ship Lucina x Brady. Uwah.

Well to be fair, I'd complain if I was paired with Ricken too.

I'm waiting for Faye to call you out on this. XD

You know, I haven't done it myself, but I've seen it, and I really don't like the Chapter 21 extra scene (assuming I'm thinking of the right thing). I dunno, I just don't like the FeMUxChrom pairing. Even with this added scene, I just still get this feeling that she loves Chrom more than me. I guess the point of that scene was to show that's not the case, but... It still feels like Lucina is totally, 100% attached to Chrom, tolerates her siblings and normal mothers, and hates FeMU as a parent.

And there are other ways to OP Lucina. Like anyone who's not Maiden (or Sully).

Gods, yes. The parental bias for each child in this pairing is absolutely, positively HORRENDOUS. Lucina clearly favors her father and Morgan his mother. Parental favoritism is hated for how ostracizing and scarring it is for the child, but the inverse is just as bad for the parent.

And having your daughter come up to you and tell you that you have to die so she can save her FATHER? She's all but saying that you're expendable, nothing, compared to her father.

Yeah there is a pretty good reason for the parental bias (writing and coding unique parent/child supports for each possible parent would be quite lengthy).

Most of the S supports in the game are cringeworthy, simply because the relationship between the characters jumps from baking pies or whatever to marriage within the span of one conversation. I think IS maybe should have had the marriages implied rather than forcing an engagement speech into every S support.

I see people complaining about this one a lot... I dunno about the Japanese one and don't feel like reading a wall of text, but it doesn't seem that bad. If anything, I kind of like it.

C: Olivia has the wrong impression about Henry, but he reveals he likes animals and isn't as crazy as she thinks he is. Some funny lines in there.

B: Mmm... blood. More details about Henry, and being sent to Wizard School with dangerous experiments by his parents. Olivia thinks Henry is faking his happiness. Interesting and some nice details about Henry's past.

A: Olivia tries to teach Henry about emotions, with amusing results. Olivia gets cursed and Henry helps her. Aww. And shows emotion.

S: I don't have it, but they're usually terrible, so I don't care much.

It's very Henry-development sided, but seems alright to me. Henry's character seems fairly consistent with other ones, so does Olivia's... could someone explain briefly what the issues with this one are?

As the op stated in his comparison, it's all about tone. In the japanese one, we see a huge amount of character development for Henry. We see how and why he's the way he is, which makes sense, given that Henry is such a weird character on the surface. In the JP version, he was horribly abused at the orphanage he was sent to, leading him to always having a fake smile on. In the end, Olivia helps Henry form a genuine smile, instead of the fake one he always has on to mask what happened to him. In the english version, he admits that he enjoyed being at the wizard school, rather than being tormented at it, and paints Olivia as a crazy bitch, rather than someone trying to help a troubled man.

In the english S support, Olivia mentions that all of Henry's smiles have been sincere, which completely destroys any character development Henry could have had. No longer is Henry portrayed as a slightly off person who obviously has had something affect him in the past, what with the way he acts, but now we're supposed to expect that someone could totally act like that. Olivia goes from genuinely trying to help Henry to simply admitting that Henry was right all along. Henry goes from being a depthful character to one of complete shallowness (my personal belief for them doing so is because us stupid americans couldn't possibly be subjected to any kind of awful tragedy in a video game). And that is inexcusable.

Edited by Constable Reggie

Yeah there is a pretty good reason for the parental bias (writing and coding unique parent/child supports for each possible parent would be quite lengthy).

Most of the S supports in the game are cringeworthy, simply because the relationship between the characters jumps from baking pies or whatever to marriage within the span of one conversation. I think IS maybe should have had the marriages implied rather than forcing an engagement speech into every S support.

ITT: people complain that each child favors the parent they're actually tied to

You're right, and that was a bit... overdramatic... of me to go off like that, but I find that case a little extreme. Plus, I distinctly remember getting that scene in my first playthough by having my Avatar married to Chrom and trying to fight off that initial wave of "what the actual fuck is this?" when I got to that chapter.

Agreed, Cynthia, or at least added some implied ones with the engagement speech ones. I think they sort of ran out of steam with some of them.

As the op stated in his comparison, it's all about tone. In the japanese one, we see a huge amount of character development for Henry. We see how and why he's the way he is, which makes sense, given that Henry is such a weird character on the surface. In the JP version, he was horribly abused at the orphanage he was sent to, leading him to always having a fake smile on. In the end, Olivia helps Henry form a genuine smile, instead of the fake one he always has on to mask what happened to him. In the english version, he admits that he enjoyed being at the wizard school, rather than being tormented at it, and paints Olivia as a crazy bitch, rather than someone trying to help a troubled man.

In the english S support, Olivia mentions that all of Henry's smiles have been sincere, which completely destroys any character development Henry could have had. No longer is Henry portrayed as a slightly off person who obviously has had something affect him in the past, what with the way he acts, but now we're supposed to expect that someone could totally act like that. Olivia goes from genuinely trying to help Henry to simply admitting that Henry was right all along. Henry goes from being a depthful character to one of complete shallowness (my personal belief for them doing so is because us stupid americans couldn't possibly be subjected to any kind of awful tragedy in a video game). And that is inexcusable.

It's more that English!Henry genuinely doesn't understand human emotion, and is only just getting what he missed out on when during his time with the Shepherds. Of course Henry will claim that he enjoyed it: The wizarding school damaged him in a different, but no less destroying way than the orphanage in the Japanese version, so he genuinely believes he's actually sincerely smiling because he doesn't really know any better (and he's technically right, because it does make his smiles come from the heart, just a very twisted heart). Getting a family and child (and/or spending time with the Shepherds) seems to eventually make him understand that his way of thinking might be wrong, but by that point, though he's learning and adapting, he's still a far way from becoming a normal human being, and will probably still keep some of his weirdness.

I understand that, but the Chapter 21 scene is just bad, in my opinion. For a extra scene that's supposed to make you want to marry Chrom to see it, it's just bad.

It's only added to relates to My Unit. And even in the scene, Lucina tells you, "You're expendable".

They really needed to fix that scene. I get parental bias in normal kids, but with a scene that was already only added for one couple -- a couple that includes the two main heroes -- they should have made it feel less like you don't matter.

That's why I love Morgan. He makes me feel like I matter. : ]

*Snuggles Morgan*

Love that kid

I understand that, but the Chapter 21 scene is just bad, in my opinion. For a extra scene that's supposed to make you want to marry Chrom to see it, it's just bad.

It's only added to relates to My Unit. And even in the scene, Lucina tells you, "You're expendable".

They really needed to fix that scene. I get parental bias in normal kids, but with a scene that was already only added for one couple -- a couple that includes the two main heroes -- they should have made it feel less like you don't matter.

That's why I love Morgan. He makes me feel like I matter. : ]

*Snuggles Morgan*

Love that kid

Strange, I never got that feeling (and I just played through that scene on my current run). I got more of a feeling that Lucina was trying to make sure the world didn't go to hell, which was ultimately due to Chrom's initial death (because no one at that time could do the Awakening Ritual for Naga). I think it's also got something to do with the fact that the Avatar (the character him/herself) feels he/she is expendable if it means not having to deal with Grima. So, idk. I like the scene because it showed that while Lucina's a full out Daddy's Girl, she still loves her mother enough that she can't sacrifice her for the world. Which is probably borderline insane considering her mother is the vessel for an eldritch abomination.

...Did that even make sense? I'm typing this after a very, very long day of playing therapist, so I'm not sure.

Edited by Kat

If there's another pairing I think is pretty bad, it's Cherche/Stahl. I really hated how Stahl went "lol forget the kingdom i swore my oath to I will totally abandon it to repair YOUR kingdom/whatever Cherche". It really rubbed me the wrong way, especially since this doesn't happen in the S support, and it sounds awful when Stahl is already married to Sully. 8U

I'm waiting for Faye to call you out on this. XD

8D To call them out on what--

Well to be fair, I'd complain if I was paired with Ricken too.

D8 !!! If there's any complaining from Cords marrying Ricken, it's from me. Since I called him fiiiirrrst -sobs in a corner-

Looking at Henry in his supports, he's always had mental problems from his past, both in the Japanese version and in the English version, and he's not ready to admit it in either. The biggest changes is how they turn out: Japanese!Henry has more of his sanity intact, while English!Henry was more damaged in that regard (as more of his supports and conversations imply that he genuinely doesn't understand how to be an actual human, and is beginning to learn how to be so, whereas he had his own code of morals and way of doing things and stuck to those prior to his time in the Shepherds).

There's also the fact that I like how hilarious Henry is in the localization (they handled his shtick better than Tharja's at any rate, though Japanese and English!Tharja both suck to me so eh). I do like both, but Japanese!Henry is a bit more anime, and English!Henry trades some of that for delicious crazy awesomeness! And the fact that Henry's japanese Support has something that seem a bit out-of-character for him in the S Support.

Im actually really cool with English!Henry. I like the idea of a guy who was so downtrodden and ignored by his fellow human beings, that he basically went feral and has his own code of morals. Its different from Soren's story (which is similar), because Henry chooses to disregard being "human" and has a thought process of a very jolly wolverine. I like that about him. Its what really endeared me to his character. I read the Henry/Olivia support for the Japanese, and i cant say i find it better.

Virion supports are amazing in general

He and Gregor gets my vote for "having the most amount of amazing support"

Virion's supports with Libra are pure gold. Holy shit....

But yeah Virion has some of the best supports out there. (Ditto for Gregor) Virion's supports with Cherche were really good but i wish there had been a little more expansion about their choice to leave Roxanne. (Virion's whole backstory is something i wanted to see more of since it was somewhat plot relevant.) But Cherche's snark in their supports is fucking awesome. Virion takes it like a bawss too. Dont. Mess. With. Cherche. Like he said in Infinite Regalia: "I havent seen a glare that terrifying since the time i called Cherche's cooking plebeian!" :P:

Cordelia's supports in general bug me. If they arent about Chrom, they are boring as fuck all. Hell, they are boring even IF they involve Chrom. Guh. But thats..just how Cordy rolls. Boringly.

Virion I feel is one of the better written characters in this game. I'm not fond of most FE womanisers (yes, including Sain. //puts up flame shield) but I like that they fleshed out other parts of his personality instead of just HEEEEEEEY SEXY LADEHS. I feel that many of MU's supports are subpar even with the low bar that most of awakening's supports set in terms of development, but MU x Virion's support I enjoyed. Virion x Libra ingame support is funny, yes, but their Harvest Scramble conversation really got to me in a good way, as did the reasons of why he left his country.

If only he was a better unit I'd totally use him all the time, but archer in this game is just...welp.

Virion I feel is one of the better written characters in this game. I'm not fond of most FE womanisers (yes, including Sain. //puts up flame shield) but I like that they fleshed out other parts of his personality instead of just HEEEEEEEY SEXY LADEHS. I feel that many of MU's supports are subpar even with the low bar that most of awakening's supports set in terms of development, but MU x Virion's support I enjoyed. Virion x Libra ingame support is funny, yes, but their Harvest Scramble conversation really got to me in a good way, as did the reasons of why he left his country.

If only he was a better unit I'd totally use him all the time, but archer in this game is just...welp.

Yeah totes. I use him anyway because POWERS OF EXTREME BIAS AND LOVE but his base class just plain sucks. And thats a crying shame because a lot of people are gonna miss out on a pretty great character because of his class. This is why he usually gets firsties on the first Second Seal from Renown. I love how theres so much more to Virion than just hitting on chicks.

4 pages and about 3 pages mentioning Cordelia, yet no one mentions Tharja, which is worse.

She even explicitly mentions she still like MU in Henry's and Libra's support. And that fact just make her support with Libra even worse IMO.

that's how you know people like Chrom more than Avatar

Yeah totes. I use him anyway because POWERS OF EXTREME BIAS AND LOVE but his base class just plain sucks. And thats a crying shame because a lot of people are gonna miss out on a pretty great character because of his class. This is why he usually gets firsties on the first Second Seal from Renown. I love how theres so much more to Virion than just hitting on chicks.

I really love most of his support, especially with MU one. It is such shame really about the generic parent conversation, especially Virion!Morgan. I mean, Morgan should challenge his father for game of chess just like his mother did rahter than just have all the forgetting stuffs. I just realized this when I'm seeing Morgan A support with his mother. But due time constraint, it can't be helped

Edited by Shengar

I'd say that the reason why Virion's supports are some of the best is precisely because he has that much more of a character to work with than everyone else. He's probably one of the only characters in the game who has multiple dimensions to his personality. He has an obvious bumbling side which is always good for a laugh, but also a serious and dare I say it, tragic side that he shows in most of his supports in some way. Most of the characters seem to slide too far in one direction or the other, or if they do try to do multiple aspects, they don't do it well enough for me to notice. (TVtropes says Lucina is apparently bumbling. Where? How? And Cordelia apparently still suffers from the sacrifice her teammates made. Aside from Avatar, I've yet to see a support that covers this.)

I think that the highest compliment that I can give Virion is that I can take a look at him and say to myself, "OK, aside from the skirt-chasing, which is a relatively shallow aspect of his character, can I even fit him into a shallow character archetype?" What it tells me is that IS put a lot more effort into Virion's character than the rest of the cast.

4 pages and about 3 pages mentioning Cordelia, yet no one mentions Tharja, which is worse.

She even explicitly mentions she still like MU in Henry's and Libra's support. And that fact just make her support with Libra even worse IMO.

I think it's kinda weird that the two most popular female characters (Cordelia and Tharja) are the ones who always obsess over, pine after and sometimes stalk certain people. (Chrom and Avatar) And more often than not, the fans of one seem to hate fans of the other, from what I've seen.

Is this sort of trend popular in anime now or something? The only ones you'd catch me dead watching are Studio Ghibli stuff, so I wouldn't know.

Edited by HeoandReo

I think it's kinda weird that the two most popular female characters (Cordelia and Tharja) are the ones who always obsess over, pine after and sometimes stalk certain people. (Chrom and Avatar) And more often than not, the fans of one seem to hate fans of the other, from what I've seen.

#teamCordelia

are you really sure about that last sentence

#teamCordelia

are you really sure about that last sentence

I don't know. I see it on Gamefaqs sometimes.

Personally, I like Tharja's supports more than Cordelia's. Tharja/Gregor and Tharja/Nowi are great, Tharja/Ricken's okay and Tharja/Avatar is funny. Aside from Gregor and maybe Virion and Stahl, Cordelia's supports tend to bore me. Neither one of them are my favourites, though.

I just realized this when I'm seeing Morgan S support with his mother.

wait wha?

Edited by HeoandReo

People exxagerate the HELL out of it

The only time I see her old teammates brought up is Avatar support, and Frederick C and B, you know, before EVERYTHING WENT DONWHILL

I feel bad for Frederick and how Cordelia seemed to not get over Chrom in their S support, but holy wow, fangirls love making her look like the bad guy.

To be honest, I would like Chrom and Avatar MUCH more if they decided to kill the Avatar in chapter 21 after a logical discussion or something >_>

@ZeEm: Well, in a sense Frederick x Cordelia ending is pretty much the best thing ever since.... it is exactly what make their convoy good. Except fan goes "NOOO CORDELIA LIVE AN UNHAPPY LIFE FREDERICK IS A DEMON JERK" so Fred does not exactly free from the demonization

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner