Cordelia vs. Tharja

ZemZem

143 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the more likable character?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And even then, Virion's escape from Rosanne goes mostly unexplained.

I want Virion to be the new Leif, having his own game to explain the events of his escape. Or at least DLC content.

And even then, Virion's escape from Rosanne goes mostly unexplained.

I want Virion to be the new Leif, having his own game to explain the events of his escape. Or at least DLC content.

Fuck yes. Im down. Even with that rather nagging fact of his backstory being sort of left hanging, hes still among the best written. (if not the best.)

I see Reggie's point about Severa. Its not just cuz i find her mindbogglingly irritating either. The only time Severa shows depth is in the DLCs, which are optional and cost money. So yeah. :(

Both are terrible. First we have Tharja, a creepy stalker yandere. Just no. Even then, the other half of her personality is just as bad. Dark and gloomy and quite intentional at that since she says she wants to maintain that reputation. Dark and gloomy characters are bad enough but doing it on purpose? No.

So many of Cordelia's S supports are basically, "eh, I'll settle for you" which is huge deal breaker. Then she's continuously treated as perfection personified but we're only told this and never shown.

If I wasn't a perfectionist when it comes to recruiting characters, I'd kill them both off. Sorry Noire. But I'm not sorry for Severa since she's even more awful.

Though I`ve never played Awakening before I say I prefer Tharja heheh creepy dark mage lady she seems pretty cool and reminds me of other dark magic users I`ve seen throughout FE for some reason Lol I think she would get along well with Knoll,Canas and Salem well thats all I can think of for my reasons haha I gotta play this game.

What is this... Sacrilege?! Tharja has no right to stand beside such brilliant individuals! Canas has a monocle, Knoll wears a hood indoors, and Salem has... Hair. Tharja is just... Dark. While other dark magic-users retained some kindness in their souls, Tharja has not. Well, Henry is kind even though he's a psychopath.

EDIT: Also, I don't like Cordelia either, and I hate her daughter too. I like Noire, though.

Edited by TheWarpedWizard

I've been seeing a lot of this, and it's been bugging me:

Tharja because Cordelia is boring.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that what Zeem said was:

The two most criticized characters in the game, but let's see who's more likable.

"Likable", not "interesting".

Cordelia may be badly written/boring, but I would much rather hang out with her than with Tharja. That's not necessarily a great measure of likability, but I can see very little to like about Tharja, no matter how well she's written.

Maybe I'm just weird for not finding unrepentant psychopaths with a creepy obsession with the player character "likable".

I've been seeing a lot of this, and it's been bugging me:

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that what Zeem said was:

"Likable", not "interesting".

Cordelia may be badly written/boring, but I would much rather hang out with her than with Tharja. That's not necessarily a great measure of likability, but I can see very little to like about Tharja, no matter how well she's written.

Maybe I'm just weird for not finding unrepentant psychopaths with a creepy obsession with the player character "likable".

I think it's safe to say he likes Tharja more because she's less boring. Therefore, she's more likable.

Fair enough.

I guess I'm basing my answer on:

lik·a·ble

Adjective

(esp. of a person) Pleasant, friendly, and easy to like.

So, I can like someone a character (although I don't) and yet not like her as a person, if that makes sense.

I don't need to argue semantics, though.

Edited by Euklyd

Well, if we had to make one of these fictional characters real, it would obviously be better to take Cordelia over Tharja. And if you had to actually befriend one of them, Cordelia is still the obvious choice. That's certainly true.

Just spent 3 minutes to unlock SeveraxCordelia's A support, and it's quite possibly the most shoehorned bullshit conversation I've read so far. Waste of 3 min, that's for sure.

Not to try and get you to like Severa or anything, but if you're going to go through the trouble of unlocking her supports, I'd go for: Brady, Noire, and Cynthia (and hers is more hit-or-miss)

While Cordelia's unhealthy fangirling of Chrom is extremelly bad, she is just plain better than that voodoo-using, stalking psycopath obsessed with Robin. And Tharja's taking a level of terrible fanservice for a fire emblem make it worse. (service like Tiltyu showing her delicious legs or Lachesis/Clarine/Eirika's [or any Z.R in fact] miniskirts sell way better for me than running around in just underwear... even if you add a full body tight)

Edited by Sartek

So much hate :(

If you overlook the terribly programmed Chrom comments, she becomes a character with a lot of issues regarding her pride, talent and perfectionism. That's pretty cool, there's some relatable stuff in her supports; Stahl and Libra are good examples. She's hardly as endearing as Brady, but genuine relatable personality traits put her over Kellam.

Tharja's a wash. She's got a few fun quirks and a few uncomfortable ones. I liked more of her supports than other gen 1 characters', which gives her a lot of points in spite of her being a pretty horrible person. Fanservice is always fun too, and it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Both, neither, whatever. I don't particularly like or dislike either. Tharja's lines generally provide me with more smiles, so her I guess?

Well, I use those terms because I can't KNOW that they do. Just as those who criticize Tharja can't know that she'll become an abusive mother after meeting her future daughter. I just want to avoid stating things that aren't factual as facts. And let's not forget that Tharja probably had a seriously questionable upbringing, herself, having the umbilical cord cut with a curse, iirc. This is getting too off base, though, I think. Tharja is a bad person who may or may not be changed for the better, and even if she is changed for the better, she's still a pretty bad person. I like that she's a bad person. Whether she becomes a less bad person or not, I like her.

You're entitled to your own opinion, of course, but that brings me back to my original argument. We're not supposed to see her as a villain type. We're supposed to find these disgusting attributes amusing. And that's my problem with her, anyway.

Cordelia, no contest. I hate Tharja and love Cordelia. I like that Cordelia strives for perfection. She actually wasn't perfect at everything she does from the get-go. She was very dedicated and did nothing but work before to get there. Which is something I can relate to, since I'm a perfectionist. Her obsession with Chrom is bad, but come on, it doesn't make her a bad character at all. She doesn't actually cheat on her husband at all. Sure, she could potentially still think of Chrom (where there was fire, ashes remain) but she doesn't actually go and cheat on her husband. Her levelup quote could be attributed to Intelligent Laziness's...well, laziness.

On the other hand, we've got Tharja. A really twisted individual, who i dont even know how the "good guys" put up with. She's extremely dislikable and I hate her for abusing Noire like that. She's terrible.

Edited by Peekayell

Both are terrible personality-wise, but at least Cordelia is a bit more of a good mother in both terms and also has her moments.

Tharja, on the other hand... I can barely say anything good about her at all.

We're immediately told why Severa acts the way she does. Little details afterwards don't change the fact that she's probably the most shallowly written character in the game.

There are characters in this game that are far worse-written than Severa.

Edited by The Fush

Just spent 3 minutes to unlock Tharja's A support with Noire, and it's quite possibly the most stupid conversation I've read so far. Waste of 3 min, that's for sure.

At least it isn't the most shoehorned conversation one could possibly think of.

There are characters in this game that are far worse-written than Severa.

Most other characters don't exist purely to annoy the living shit out of everyone for no real good reason. They've got their gimmicks, sure, but at least they aren't carbon copy stereotypes.

Edited by Constable Reggie

And she was voted most popular? >_>

I feel like the hate is amplified because she was voted most popular. =/

But you know what? Tharja haters can hate Tharja: she'll have artwork and collectibles, and other characters won't. ;)

I feel like the hate is amplified because she was voted most popular. =/

But you know what? Tharja haters can hate Tharja: she'll have artwork and collectibles, and other characters won't. ;)

I myself am not a fan of Tharja, but I still feel she's one of the most interesting characters in the game. There's more to her than stalking the Avatar, abusing Noire, and overall just being a terrible person in general.

I want my Cynthia figurine. *cries*