Should Fire Emblem be on handheld or console systems?

Melonhead

Handheld or Consoles?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which platform do you think Fire Emblem is better on?

• Handhelds, like the 3DS
    • Consoles like the Wii U and Wii
    • Both are good.
    • Emulator only!
  2. 2. In the future, do you see Fire Emblem more console-based or handheld-based?

• Handheld for the future!
    • Consoles will dominate!
    • It will probably be a mix.
    • Fire Emblem has no future. (Evil Music)

I think FE should go on both kinds of consoles. There's no reason it should only stay on one or the other. For those of you saying the Wii U would be a bad idea simply because PoR and RD didn't sell as well as some other FE titles or that the Wii U isn't selling, you have to keep two important things in mind here.

1. If IS learned what not to do with remakes, surely they've also possibly learned what not to do with home console titles.

2. The Wii U is still fairly new. The 3DS went through a similar phase before price cuts and ace titles were released for it. The Wii U should get the same treatment, especially with titles like Smash Bros., Zelda, and more Mario coming for it. I've no doubt that a Pokemon title or two will be made for it as well. There's also SMTxFE on the way.

I really want the next FE to be on the Wii U because I think an FE game would look GREAT in HD and with the Wii U, IS could make a longer game with a kickass story and be able to add more content. Awakening was a step in the right direction and was pretty much exactly what I wanted Nintendo to do with FE. Learn from the mistakes that prevented the previous titles from being big sellers and advertise FE more than usual. The next step is to take this up a notch and create an even bigger title with Awakening's popular features and popular features from previous games. Add in the same amount of advertising and I have no doubts that this game would get sales that surpass Awakening's.

IS would so benefit from having me work for them. lol

I dont think it would be benefit from consoles, graphics arent needed for turn bases strategy, and the awakening graphics are already pretty amazing other than the lack of feet. Awakening was good, but it wasnt everything you could want from an fe, it was to unbalanced, and to easy, and lunatic wasn't a fair challenge it was just lets buff stats and make them swarm you, and luna plus was that with op skills, it took though to beat but it was the wrong sort of challenge.

Also fe benefits a lot from being something you can take anywhere, and pick up or put down anytime.

as for the last, bit, i would have to throw you of a cliff, i would say that i would need to throw my self of a cliff, but then i would be leaving the series to rot

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it could be just as good on any platform. Although I have a slight leaning towards the portability of handhelds, I think there is potential with using the power of a console, specifically editing tools, and in user-generated content. A number of strategy games have this sort of thing going for them now, turn-based and RTS, and I'm sure we can all agree that it'd be nice to have an alternative to ROM hacking. I doubt if they were to put editing tools in a 3DS version, it would be as to scale as what the Wii U could probably do.

Otherwise, I don't see the benefit of a Wii U Fire Emblem other than HD graphics.

Edited by Knight

I don't see anything wrong with console FE. Though personally I prefer my traditional TRPG to stay on handheld so I can played it on the go and anywhere I like. The nature of traditional TRPG itself is already slow and cumbersome (for many people). That and console being living room entertainment would make it even more cumbersome (although Wii U gamepad might fix that problem). The only TRPG that justify its position as a console TRPG game is VC.

Sure, console packed with more power. That could give console FE have better graphic, and story content. But all of that would ramp up the resources IS needed to justify a FE game on console since being HD itself isn't enough. They have to make something, a feature that wouldn't be possible on handhelds, and can only be done in console. Map editor and online come first in my mind, but unless both of them are really polished, that wouldn't enough to make a console FE game is not just HD version of FE game.

In short, I prefer the next FE for handhelds, but I wouldn't mind it very much if they move it to console, though they have to make something that it wouldn't end up just as "HD FE".

Even though consoles pack a lot more power and I like the console installments of FE, there is no reason for IS to make console games when the 3DS is an adequate platform. They save IS a lot of money and yet look fantastic for handheld systems, whereas the Tellius saga, from the point of view of an outsider, is nothing special. While I would personally play any Fire Emblem game regardless of system, I think the smart decision would be to continue with handhelds and not make the jump to HD. The cost savings are enormous and yet the gameplay experience would be nearly the same since there is only so much in the way of resources that you really need for a turn-based strategy game.

I think a FE game with full-on voice acting, towns and more ambitious stuff can go a long way to making a succesful game on a console. I doubt Dumb Systems will ever do that, so it should probably stay on handhelds to survive...

I'd think there are plenty of ways they could beef up Fire Emblem to make it worth the money on console. Make it longer, give the player more to manage, increase the scope by a couple of generations, give the player more say over how the story plays out, make more things about how you play during the actual chapters affect what comes later, the list can go on. There's nothing inseparable from the gameplay that makes it only something that makes sense on the small screen. What scope they want to make the game, how they want to structure the gameplay, and generally how hard they actually want to try to market the game (and how big of a "risk" it'd be) are different matters from "what exactly can we do with isometric turn-based pseudorole-playing gameplay?"

They could make a game the size of a Total War entry (or bigger!) with FE's systems if they really wanted. It's not like there's a rule that every game in the series has to be set up with a linear, arcadey progression of chapters that don't involve any player interaction going beyond "progressing" or "not progressing." We can at least learn that from Awakening.

Edited by Rehab

I think a FE game with full-on voice acting, towns and more ambitious stuff can go a long way to making a succesful game on a console. I doubt Dumb Systems will ever do that, so it should probably stay on handhelds to survive...

I never like the idea of full-voice-acting for FE, or even RPG games in general, especially those who have side-story or side quest with massive amount of side characters. Full voice acting would certainly limit the variation and the theme of support conversations. If I could take an example on western RPG, just compared how complex the reaction we can give in Planescape:Torment to much simpler reaction in DA2. The complex reaction in Planescape:Torment was possible because there is no voice acting to limit what they could write. While full voice acting on side conversation set a high limit for variation and complexity in game conversation. Also voice acting isn't cheap, considering the diversity of the usual FE cast. I prefer that amount of fund went to gameplay or graphic department.

They can push the dang thing harder, then. It's not like there aren't actually any games coming out for the system, Nintendo just, shall we say, has room to improve how it markets them to gamers. (example)

It's not like a console has never bounced back from "got no games" before. They need to get some damn games if they want to, though

Edited by Rehab

They can push the dang thing harder, then. It's not like there aren't actually any games coming out for the system, Nintendo just, shall we say, has room to improve how it markets them to gamers. (example)

It's not like a console has never bounced back from "got no games" before. They need to get some damn games if they want to, though

but has a console ever bounced back from worse than Gamecube sales to, well, not be worse than Gamecube in sales

Edited by shadykid

I've heard that Nintendo is quite sucked at marketing their new IPs. Good thing Hideki Kamiya is such a whiner, if not his game probably would fall under the shadow of obscurity.

but has a console ever bounced back from worse than Gamecube sales to, well, not be worse than Gamecube in sales

How about PS3? That $599 price tag and almost no games until the end of 2007. Is it worse than Wii U or....?

How about PS3? That $599 price tag and almost no games until the end of 2007. Is it worse than Wii U or....?

Wii U wishes it was doing PS3 circa 2007-level sales

I mean, here's the UK for example (granted, the UK isn't particularly Nintendo-friendly, but it's not doing much better elsewhere):

uk-software-unit-1H-2013.png

Edited by shadykid

Wii U wishes it was doing PS3 circa 2007-level sales

I mean, here's the UK for example (granted, the UK isn't particularly Nintendo-friendly, but it's not doing much better elsewhere):

Pikmin 3 has supposedly sold ~100,000 already in Japan a few days after release and is supposedly trending towards NSMBU's 1st week sales within a week. That claim is complete bunk since Pikmin 3 in one week in Japan alone would be reaching the number of total software sales for 6 month sales in the UK.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=207636

To suggest just using the sales of the worst performing country is representative of it's worldwide performance is just dishonest. It'd be like if someone used the fact the 360 barely sells more than a hundred consoles a week in Japan to suggest that it's the worst selling console ever.

Edited by arvilino

Pikmin 3 has supposedly sold ~100,000 already in Japan a few days after release and is supposedly trending towards NSMBU's 1st week sales within a week. That claim is complete bunk since Pikmin 3 in one week in Japan alone would be reaching the number of total software sales for 6 month sales in the UK.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=207636

To suggest just using the sales of the worst performing country is representative of it's worldwide performance is just dishonest. It'd be like if someone used the fact the 360 barely sells more than a hundred consoles a week in Japan to suggest that it's the worst selling console ever.

the Wii U has been around ~6k hardware sales per week in Japan for like months now, which is also abyssmal, and has been doing ~35k per month in the US for several months

hilariously, Pikmin is the only boost it gets before the fall/winter lineup really arrives

large.jpg10l.jpg

the best part is that based on Nintendo's own charts, the UK isn't even the worst "major" country for Wii U

but please do tell me where the Wii U doesn't suck

Edited by shadykid

But the 3DS was that little bar when it first launched, even I was skeptical of the console. Now look at the little beast. (TBH, it was probably all Animal Crossing and Pokemon's fault)

But the 3DS was that little bar when it first launched, even I was skeptical of the console. Now look at the little beast. (TBH, it was probably all Animal Crossing and Pokemon's fault)

3DS had a much higher base (seriously, look at the Wii U portion of the graphs) and no competition

edit: Wii U at 22k this week in Media Create, that amazing Pikmin boost right :rolleyes:

have some more fun data:

FAMITSU

DREAMCAST WII U

1/4/1999 28,830 1/7/2013 21,489

1/11/1999 27,439 1/14/2013 16,635

1/18/1999 22,788 1/21/2013 12,335

1/25/1999 37,249 1/28/2013 11,714

2/1/1999 20,327 2/4/2013 11,092

2/8/1999 15,160 2/11/2013 10,167

2/15/1999 2WEEK1 2/18/2013 9,495

2/22/1999 22,797 2/25/2013 9,528 (19,203 2WEEK1)

3/1/1999 13,362 3/4/2013 9,089

3/8/1999 9,232 3/11/2013 8,567

3/15/1999 8,952 3/18/2013 10,172

3/22/1999 16,657 3/25/2013 21,502

3/29/1999 14,675 4/1/2013 14,413

4/5/1999 13,348 4/8/2013 10,147

4/12/1999 6,747 4/15/2013 8,047

4/19/1999 2WEEK1 4/22/2013 8,058

4/26/1999 14,882 4/29/2013 10,573 (18,631 2WEEK1)

5/3/1999 7,392 5/6/2013 6,744

5/10/1999 4,458 5/13/2013 6,058

5/17/1999 3,344 5/20/2013 5,536

5/24/1999 4,743 5/27/2013 5,669

5/31/1999 2,567 6/3/2013 4,549

6/7/1999 676 6/10/2013 5,031

6/14/1999 479 6/17/2013 4,236

6/21/1999 45,058 6/24/2013 5,846

6/28/1999 25,249 7/1/2013 6,380

7/5/1999 20,741 7/8/2013 20,728

TOTAL (from this chart)

DREAMCAST - 387,152

WII U - 273,800

Edited by shadykid

bump

US sales edition:

m6w2pbb.png

h9Uzc5M.pngPKmM848.png

only doing bad in one region though amirite

(gogo 3ds though, that animal crossing)

edit: Wii U weekly average in June should be a tad higher (~8k instead of ~7k) but the point stands

Edited by shadykid

It'll catch up eventually. Trust me. Nintendo just hasn't released the big hits for the console yet.

catch up to what, Gamecube?

(surely it must catch up to Dreamcast, given its early death)

edit: completely irrelvant, but the PSP Go sold exactly 34 units in the US during June :lol

Edited by shadykid

3DS become a beast after price cut and ridiculous 2013 games lineup. People bought 3DS not for the 3D feature, but rather the games which clearly the Wii U lack for. In UK, some retailer even have their own price cut and the system still selling worse than Vita. What Nintendo needs to do before other competitor release their console is give $100 official price cut and great line up of games. Given the momentum, console FE now might boost Wii U sales better than Pikmin. It would never reach Wii sale of course, but at least it might catch up with GC's numbers.