Melee slated to be at this year's EVO (the largest fighting game tournament in the U.S.) => Nintendo refuses to let it be streamed => NVM, IT'S ON

Rehab

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/evo-smash-bros

In three days, after twelve years of waiting, Super Smash Bros. Melee is about to have its biggest tournament bracket ever. I'm told it will double the size of the previous best. At Evolution 2013, the biggest annual fighting game tournament series in the world, the 2001 GameCube game is about to have its finest hour.

Melee is by far the oldest game at EVO this year, the next oldest game on the schedule is King of Fighters XIII which released in 2010, and yet Melee still has the third most competitors of any game at the tournament, behind only Super Street Fighter IV and Marvel vs Capcom 3.

However, it wasn't originally supposed to be represented at EVO at all. The original game lineup didn't include any Smash games, not even the more recent Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which has never truly been able to overshadow Melee in the way most sequels supplant their predecessors.

The original EVO lineup included eight games, but the tournament organizers decided to hold an open Facebook poll to decide which games should be considered for a spot at EVO. Any game that got more than 500 votes would be allowed to participate in a fundraising competition to benefit breast cancer research.

The competition resulted in a massive $225,774 raised. Melee dominated the fundraising efforts with $94,683.

http://shoryuken.com/2013/07/09/changes-to-evo-2013-smash-schedule/

Regrettably, we’ve just been informed by Nintendo of America Inc. that we do not have permission to broadcast Super Smash Bros. Melee for Evo 2013. In light of this, we must make the following changes to the schedule. Smash has been removed from the stream schedule and replaced with a mix of Persona 4 Arena [...]

(I'm having a hard time actually loading this article for some reason, haven't been able to see much more than the preview/not entirely sure whether Melee has been completely cut from the lineup or if it's just not going to be streamed, betting on the latter)

Disclaimer: Yeah I know this is within their rights, yadda yadda, the people who play the game competitively might not be faces they want attached to public perception of their game, yadda yadda.

Still, man. "Thanks for enjoying our game, have a cease-and-desist on that there effort to share the love"

Pr3AQtk.jpg

thanks obama nintendo

edit: Nintendo changed their mind, it's back on, thanks Nintendo

I’ve just received word from Nintendo that the Evo Smash Bros. Melee stream will be allowed to proceed. We will be restoring the original stream and tournament schedules. Obviously this is a huge relief for all of us here and we’re thrilled that the world will get to see the best Smash players fight it out this weekend. Thanks to everyone online who supported both Evo and Smash, and thanks to Nintendo for allowing us to stream their game.

Edited by Rehab

NoA has been getting on my nerves a bit lately. First the the Dicey thing with Fe13's America release, then the LP video claims, now this. Sure, this in itself isn't THAT big of a deal (this isn't exactly their bestseller anymore) but.. why wouldn't they allow it? Seems odd to me.

This has made me hate Nintendo so much. Such a dick move! What angers me the most is that they announce this right as its about to happen. They were saying earlier that they are having tough times and want more sales for WiiU or something along the lines of that in Twitter and then this. Do they even realize this is a FREE ADVERTISEMENT opportunity for Smash? RAGE

I'm still having a hard time loading the dang thing, even the site now, but I heard from somebody else Nintendo reversed course? Awesome, if so. good work, everyone

Replaced it with Persona 4 Arena bro game 10/10

But honestly Nintendo is not at their brightest this time, but eh, life goes on

even though it got reversed, I'm just going to point out a top Persona player almost got screwed over by the schedule change

People may for tickets to get into this tournament.

If more people play competitive Melee than competitive Brawl, then they make more money by hosting a Melee event instead of a Brawl event.

I never said it was. I meant that I was surprised Melee was chosen over Brawl because I thought Brawl was the more popular game, regardless of the competitiveness. Playing with other people isn't about winning, it's about having fun. I don't like that competitiveness is such a huge deal here.

That's what separates you from competitive players, then. And myself, as well.

But I just let them do their thing, I guess. If they want to play the game for different reasons, they totally can. That's how we end up with things like Aika Village (Animal Crossing horror story) or Nuzlockes (Pokemon with permadeath).

Edited by Iridium

Ana, it would probably do you some good to look at what EVO is.

It's *THE MOST* competitive fighting game event every year. So in that context, the more competitive game selection DOES matter.

and this is the first time any Smash Bros. game has appeared at EVO, which is a big deal in and of itself.

what no

Melee appeared in 2007, Brawl in 2008 (although Brawl was a complete shitstorm involving last minute rule changes)

what no

Melee appeared in 2007, Brawl in 2008 (although Brawl was a complete shitstorm involving last minute rule changes)

All of them, is won by Chris Geezus :Kappa:

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

I never said it was. I meant that I was surprised Melee was chosen over Brawl because I thought Brawl was the more popular game, regardless of the competitiveness. Playing with other people isn't about winning, it's about having fun. I don't like that competitiveness is such a huge deal here.

The original EVO lineup included eight games, but the tournament organizers decided to hold an open Facebook poll to decide which games should be considered for a spot at EVO. Any game that got more than 500 votes would be allowed to participate in a fundraising competition to benefit breast cancer research.

The competition resulted in a massive $225,774 raised. Melee dominated the fundraising efforts with $94,683.

Melee is more popular among competitive players, is the gist. If Brawl had seen anywhere near as much support, for all we know it might've had a shot at being included.

"Competitiveness" with regard to video games is really just "how appealing it is to keep playing the actual game, years after its release." It's not a dirty word, or something that takes away from the game, it's "how high will the game let me soar, if I dare."

Edited by Rehab