The Steam Summer Getaway Sale!

BlueFire

On this note and before I do anything stupid: Steam suggests an XBOX 360 controller, but is it possible/reasonable to use a PS3 controller? I've already got one and a usb connection for it, so my controller issue would be solved.

Sure, that should be fine. I don't see why the game wouldn't recognize it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got Torchlight II since I was able to grab the 48 hours free Torchlight from another site and I really enjoyed that, and I got scribblenauts 'cuz I can ride a giant flying thor into battle for 5 bucks. Hell yeah.

Probably won't spend any more though 'cuz I'm poor and $15 is enough to make me go hng at my wallet and i'm still trying to do actually productive things this summer. Can't have too many games.

On this note and before I do anything stupid: Steam suggests an XBOX 360 controller, but is it possible/reasonable to use a PS3 controller? I've already got one and a usb connection for it, so my controller issue would be solved.

I recall there being a problem with not being able to get the right analog stick to work with PS3 controllers. I'm not sure if that was an OS specific problem or what, though. Other than that, you should be able to get it to work fine.

I've got a list of my favorite games and series in my profile, but I typically enjoy adventure games, puzzle games, and RPGs the most. Fire Emblem is my all time favorite series, Portal became an instant favorite, Zelda, Metroid, Okami, etc.

There are several dozen sidescrolling adventure-puzzle games on steam.

As for RPGs, a game that's on my wishlist is Knights of Pen and Paper. You play as up to 5 people who role play their own fantasy characters against the dungeonmaster. Its combat is like any RPG where you control multiple units; and the game is obviously supposed to replicate D&D.

Jesse Cox's first impressions: http://youtu.be/quxKO-ybQIE?t=14s

This is more of an entertaining video than a critical one, but the game isn't supposed to be serious in the first place.

On current Flash Sale for the next hour and a half, I found Little Inferno to be a simple, but still fun game. Essentially, you burn a lot of stuff in your chimney.

Yogscast's first session: http://youtu.be/Jz_2vgqXH04?t=4m15s

It's strangely satisfying finding what things to burn together and it has a creepy story explaining what you're doing in the world.

It's safe to assume a lot of us here like Fire Emblem, and Heroes of Might and Magic VI got my attention with its tiled turn-based combat.

TotalBiscuit's first impressions: http://youtu.be/Gxejyj4My-8?t=17m32s

He does a good job of comparing it to the older games of the series as well as explaining every feature of the game.

Another tiled turn-based game is Civilization, and Civilization V and its expansions are also on the current Flash Sale.

Quill's experienced playthrough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDy-MANWcVE

He explains all of his thoughts and strategies. It should be noted that Civ4 is considered better (by the serious players) than Civ5 if you don't get Civ5's expansions.

Edited by BlueFire

XCom : Enemy Unkown on sale for 20 bucks for those interested in SRPGs with aliens.

Is that game still full of bugs? I remember even the most satisfied fans mentioning that.

Edited by BlueFire

Xcom is fantastic and is definitely worth the 10 bucks (lowest it's been so far), especially for tbs fans. The minor visual and technical (which I haven't had much of in my playthroughs) issues are easily overlookable.

Just Cause 2 (sandbox where you're equipped with a fucking parachute and grappling wire) and FTL (roguelike space command) are wonderful at those prices too.

Edited by Constable Reggie

This page was made only a couple week ago. Ctrl+F "bug" and read some of the paragraphs.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.820126-I-have-a-bone-to-pick-with-XCOM-Enemy-Unknown#19788871

I wanted XCOM but never got it when it was released because it was worse on release. I really don't know how bad these bugs are, though.

I'm just waiting till HoMM6 is on sale. A piece of advice to patient/new Steam users: Wait till the last day of the sale to pick up your games, because it may be on sale before then!

Here's part of my wishlist : ]

mNk6t.jpg

DungeonLand and Portal 2 I want for local co-op with my friends. Monster Loves You looks like a choose-your-own-adventure type of a game, which I want to try out. I've played AC1 and heard that AC2 made many improvements, so I want to play that, too. I also got AC3 on 360 (my PC can't play it well) a couple of weeks ago on the Independence week sale, but haven't started it yet.

Edited by BlueFire

PCs don't actually recognize PS3 controllers so that they are functional, but a program called motioninjoy allows you to plug it in and it will be treated like an XBOX 360 controller/gamepad, so there's that.

FTL is fucking amazing, if you like roguelikes, get it.

Edited by AstraLunaSol

Is that game still full of bugs? I remember even the most satisfied fans mentioning that.

I have literally no idea what you're remembering. SHIVs were buggy as hell in v1.0 and I encountered exactly one showstopping bug with an obvious cause that was quickly patched out, and the only cries of full of bugs I remember were from disgruntled X-COM grognards who thought the game's cover/LoS systems were "buggy" because they weren't just like X-COM's.

At any rate, every bug I recall has been patched out, so yea.

EDIT: That Escapist thread brought up exactly one I didn't remember - teleporting alien spawns. I think that still happens, but it's far from a showstopper and happens maybe once a playthrough. People way overstate the effects of bugs like that.

Edited by Integrity

Half cover isn't totally worthless. Remember that high level Sniper thing? It has precisely one use!

EDIT: Incidentally, if anybody wants a free Torchlight, Sanctum, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee or uhh some racing game hit me up. They're free to literally anyone.

EDIT2: typing on tablets is hard

Edited by Integrity

I have literally no idea what you're remembering. SHIVs were buggy as hell in v1.0 and I encountered exactly one showstopping bug with an obvious cause that was quickly patched out, and the only cries of full of bugs I remember were from disgruntled X-COM grognards who thought the game's cover/LoS systems were "buggy" because they weren't just like X-COM's.

At any rate, every bug I recall has been patched out, so yea.

EDIT: That Escapist thread brought up exactly one I didn't remember - teleporting alien spawns. I think that still happens, but it's far from a showstopper and happens maybe once a playthrough. People way overstate the effects of bugs like that.

I was recalling when it first came out. But that's awesome that the important ones have been patched out.

I'm going to purchase it before the Flash Sale is up. Should I get either of the 2 DLCs, too?

Edited by BlueFire

The dlcs, as far as I know, are completely pointless. The slingshot one, with only a few missions and an expendable character, is overpriced even at 75%, and you can unlock the colors by simply adding a line in the .ini file in the game files, so unless you really really want different helmets, skip that too.

[i also 100% recommend XCOM: EU to anybody reading]

Grabbed the Empire at War: Total War DLCs and Antichamber, thinking of checking out Europa Universalis whenever its stuff goes on sale. Do any of you guys (other than Revan) have the latter and/or experience on which one (and which dlcs) have the most meat on them?

Edited by Rehab

The dlcs, as far as I know, are completely pointless. The slingshot one, with only a few missions and an expendable character, is overpriced even at 75%, and you can unlock the colors by simply adding a line in the .ini file in the game files, so unless you really really want different helmets, skip that too.

Thanks for the tip, I won't get either then and I'm downloading XCOM now.

I have Steam codes for: Capsized, Dear Esther, English Country Tune, Intrusion 2, Little Inferno, Magicka, Oil Rush, Tiny and Big in Grandpa's Leftovers, Awesomenauts, and the Awesomenauts Clucky Costume DLC - most of them from Humble Bundles. I have 3 friends who are getting computers this summer and am planning to give them these games. I know most of them are pretty meh games, but I'm willing to trade my codes for yours. Message me if you're interested. Unless... Is that against the SF Code of Conduct?

Edited by BlueFire

EDIT: Incidentally, if anybody wants a free Torchlight, Sanctum, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee or uhh some racing game hit me up. They're free to literally anyone.

I like free games.

Being a Steam noobie and a terrible, indecisive shopper in general is a really bad combination right now. And it's not that I don't have the money (I could buy everything on sale that catches my interest if I want), it's deciding whether or not I should really spend it.

Like, I wasn't even looking at XCOM and now everyone is saying it needs to be bought and UGH.

I've also never played a GTA game and am wondering if $5 for GTAIV is worth a shot.

Last but not least, FEZ and BIT.TRIP RUNNER (just the first for now at $2.49) are others I'm looking at. Opinions?

Unless... Is that against the SF Code of Conduct?

I, at least, don't see what about that would be against the rules.

[i also 100% recommend XCOM: EU to anybody reading]

Grabbed the Empire at War: Total War DLCs and Antichamber, thinking of checking out Europa Universalis whenever its stuff goes on sale. Do any of you guys (other than Revan) have the latter and/or experience on which one (and which dlcs) have the most meat on them?

For Europa Universalis, number four comes out in a month and three came out back in 06 or something. If you still want to get EU3, I would definitely get EU Chronicles, which has all of the expansion packs. I wouldn't bother with the DLC spritepacks since, well, they're just spritepacks. If they go on sale for 75% off they'll only be $3 for all of them, though. As far as other EU type games, CK2 is great and more accessible than the others; Victoria and Hearts of Iron are supposed to be good, but also pretty "hardcore" so I would stay away from those until you know you like grand strategy games; March of the Eagles didn't do well, so it didn't get much in the way of after release support, and it's really meant for multiplayer; Rome is just bad and old. I think that's all of Paradox's grand strategy games.

I've also never played a GTA game and am wondering if $5 for GTAIV is worth a shot.

Fuck no. GFWL and Securom are a slap in the face. Gta4 and Arkham City are the only two games (out of like, 300 or so) I absolutely regret buying. Just get Saints Row 2 and/or 3 when it goes on sale.

They both add in customization options beyond colors, including new textures. I'd recommend them if they are cheap because they add to the paltry selection the game starts with.

For close game comparisons, Saints Row 2 far surpasses the little I've played of Gta4, imo. I'd highly recommend at the least Sr2 (might have to get a mod to fix performance), since at least with that game you don't have to put up with stupid bullshit. And hey, [heavily] customizable characters are awesome

They both add in customization options beyond colors, including new textures. I'd recommend them if they are cheap because they add to the paltry selection the game starts with.

The fact that they pulled the colors option to sell the dlc feels so cynical to me. I personally think the colors (the .ini ones) are more than enough, and you don't even have to pay for them! There's not that many textures to make it worth it on that front and the helmets are a complete afterthought, since apparently they're unequipped if your soldier is wounded.

Edited by Constable Reggie