The Steam Summer Getaway Sale!

BlueFire

The fact that they pulled the colors option to sell the dlc feels so cynical to me. I personally think the colors (the .ini ones) are more than enough, and you don't even have to pay for them! There's not that many textures to make it worth it on that front and the helmets are a complete afterthought, since apparently they're unequipped if your soldier is wounded.

In the same sense that hair is "unequipped" if a soldier is wounded in the regular game. It's like three bucks I think for a dozen helmets and separate armor designs. I guess that's a bit steep but if you really want to customize your dudes it's not outrageous. As for the colors, I never really noticed. There's really already a massive number available to begin with and I don't personally use ones that are very garish.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o Defiance is on sale... :< That makes me very badly tempted to strain my wallet...

Oh nvm, apparently the game is bad meh.

Edited by SlayerX

I'm holding out for Kingdoms of Amalur, Reckoning. I played some of the demo but couldn't figure out how (if you can) to save and I had to stop to do something and I don't feel like going through the first part of the tutorial but what I played seemed fun. Don't feel like laying down $30 for it until after the sale. If it doesn't go on, it probably wouldn't for a while anyway.

I'm holding out for Kingdoms of Amalur, Reckoning. I played some of the demo but couldn't figure out how (if you can) to save and I had to stop to do something and I don't feel like going through the first part of the tutorial but what I played seemed fun. Don't feel like laying down $30 for it until after the sale. If it doesn't go on, it probably wouldn't for a while anyway.

http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Complete/5005857/ (use the code GFDJUL20 to bring it down to 8 bucks)

Only downside is it's on Origin, but given that it's not on sale on Steam right now, I doubt it will be for the summer sale.

Edited by Constable Reggie

I want the expansion for Civ V to go on a 75% off sale. Unfortunately, I know it won't happen.

Brave New World? It was on a Flash Sale and I think that's the best you get, unless it's voted for.

Edited by BlueFire

I heard from Civfanatics that they gave free copies of Civ 4 to people who preordered it, only to have ended up paying way more than the people who got it on sale. Also, I heard it speculated that it was probably an accident, in that they suspect the publishers gave the go-ahead to put Civ games on sale, but forgot to exclude bnw.

http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Complete/5005857/ (use the code GFDJUL20 to bring it down to 8 bucks)

Only downside is it's on Origin, but given that it's not on sale on Steam right now, I doubt it will be for the summer sale.

Is that digital copy or delivered discs? I tend to like digital because you don't have to go anywhere and barely have to wait, but for a deal like that I might consider shipped.

Dunno if this was answered but yes you can save at any point in the game from the menu, though probably not in the tutorial level. If you rush though the tutorial takes less than 20 mins to get through. If you think THAT is a lot of time, you shouldn't be playing the game as you'll need a minimum of 100 hours to beat it on your first playthrough.

Dunno if this was answered but yes you can save at any point in the game from the menu, though probably not in the tutorial level. If you rush though the tutorial takes less than 20 mins to get through. If you think THAT is a lot of time, you shouldn't be playing the game as you'll need a minimum of 100 hours to beat it on your first playthrough.

It's not that I don't like the time, it's I don't like doing some things twice. There's replaying when you've beat it, and then there's doing the exact same thing again. Even Dark Souls at the start is different depending on class and whatever. The start is like identical for the tutorial.

I remember being interested in Remember Me before its release and I'd still like to play it, but at that price and with those reviews...that one will have to wait a little longer.

Nothing else today has my attention since I've already got Portal 2. I've had friends who enjoyed the Doom and Fallout series, but I don't think those are my kind of games.

Looks like my bank account is safe for now!

Civilization V is better for first-timers. Many of the mechanics are easier to digest and less complex. The hex system is ultimately cleaner and the absence of stacks of death makes management a cinch.

That said, Civilization IV, particularly using the Beyond the Sword expansion, is probably the greatest Civilization experience in the entire series. If you can buy the both of them together and are fine with jumping into the deep end of the pool first I would highly recommend it.

Although if you want the most crystallized essence of what made the series so famous and loved then simply find (quote unquote wink wink nudge nudge d/l d/l) Civilization II and play it. It has all the hallmarks of the series and will educate you better than either of the above on what makes the series what it is.

You are never supposed to understand a 4X game when you first go into it. Your first game is clicking stuff and figuring out what to do

Quill's experienced playthrough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDy-MANWcVE

He explains all of his thoughts and strategies. It should be noted that Civ4 is considered better (by the serious players) than Civ5 if you don't get Civ5's expansions.

His videos were useful in teaching me how Civilization works when I hadn't seen it before.

If you want to get into a complex strategy game (that isn't grand strategy), then Civilization isn't a bad choice.

Edited by BlueFire