FE6 improvement hack?

gringe

I've not heard of this, so I'm guessing no one's done a comprehensive hack like this?

I'm working on cleaning up the writing in the translation patch at the moment but this is something I'd like to do eventually as well (actually I successfully did it before, but a lot of parameters need to be changed). I see a lot of people saying no one should do FE6 hacks, but if it's to improve the base game, why not? It has a lot of problems. Once you know the game well, your character options for a good playthrough are somewhat limited and the later parts of the game are really a chore to get through. If the game can easily be made more fun and flexible, I think it should be. Most of these solutions are pretty easily fixed with Nightmare, but other stuff I'd love to do, maybe not so much.

Stuff that's technically easy to do:

-Character balance and diversification (IE making Deke have distinct differences from Ogier)

-Class and item balance, probably using FE7 values

-Increasing levels of enemies in later chapters and possibly giving them some better equipment to make them more deadly so the player isn't forced to trudge through endless weakling troops

-Decreasing Crit bonus of Swordmasters and 'Zerks

-Distributing a few more contested promotion items through earlier chapters

Stuff that I could do in a perfect world but which are not so easy with Nightmare:

-Making enemies spawn after enemy turns rather than after player turns to prevent cheap reinforcements. There is probably a way to do this seeing as this occurred in a few FE7 chapters but I have no idea where to begin obviously since there doesn't exist a Nightmare module for this

-Adding otherwise unobtainable weapons (Fimbulvetr, Spear, Runesword, etc.) to the first Secret Shop, just for fun really. There are shop editor modules for Nightmare but there don't seem to be any for the Secret Shops. :[

-Making the ratings a little stricter

If you want to take a look at the character changes I'm considering, feel free. Will work on enemy levels and equipment later.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/p181pazx96qp9m4/FE6characterbalancev2.xls

Many characters have a change of only 5% to growths here or there. I know a change that small doesn't make a big difference, but it DOES make it a little more or a little less shaky. It was to de-emphasize certain weaknesses or emphasize certain strengths or differences. Allen for example lost 5% Skl and Spd while Lance lost 5% Str.

Some characters were interesting to work with in order to diversify. Jerrot (Zealot) for example, has been given roughly equal or slightly lower bases when compared to Marcus, but has much higher growths, making him possibly more viable in the long run. He still shouldn't turn out as nicely as the unpromoted cavvies though.

Other characters have had their usability increased or have been given a purpose. Lilina for example joins at Lvl 5 now and has increased stats to reflect that. Other characters like Wendy join at the same level as before, but she has much better base stats and growths hopefully making her a little more worthwhile. Sophia has the same terrible bases but has been given god-like growths to give her a niche some may enjoy. I also nerfed a few characters, such as Millety (Miledy) and Perceval.

But anyway, enough outta me. Any comments are welcome. This is definitely something I'll be doing, unless someone better decides to of course, so I'm open to any opinions.

Not only have many wanted to and had the skills to do this, they actually tried doing it and failed simply because of the fact that FEditor borked the text and because the text editing suites suuucked.

As for gameplay balance... FE6 needs a hell lot more of an overhaul than just "balance" to even be considered fun. It really just needs a full on remake is what it needs. Not that a bunch of my friends are totally pushing me to make one or anything, no definitely not. I definitely don't have access to a detailed google doc about that remake either, no sir.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27091

Literally on the same page. What do you think this is about?

The Goal

To make FE6 as 'pretty' as I possibly can, to rework the entire story, following the same plot structure and hitting all the same beats, but expanding, rewriting, and generally improving. To add new characters, remix the supports, and add new maps, as well as combining the vanilla routes together for one experience. To make an experience I personally feel FE6 deserves.

That's cool, but very different from what I want to do.

Not only have many wanted to and had the skills to do this, they actually tried doing it and failed simply because of the fact that FEditor borked the text and because the text editing suites suuucked.

All I want to change is behind-the-scenes parameters. I don't want to add classes, characters, text, or anything of the sort. Basically I just want the base game with improved numbers.

As for gameplay balance... FE6 needs a hell lot more of an overhaul than just "balance" to even be considered fun.

The game is fun and challenging up to a point and I think it could be made fun for the later parts with some parameter tweaks.

The game is fun and challenging up to a point and I think it could be made fun for the later parts with some parameter tweaks.

Surely you could play it on HM?

That's cool, but very different from what I want to do.

All I want to change is behind-the-scenes parameters. I don't want to add classes, characters, text, or anything of the sort. Basically I just want the base game with improved numbers.

There's a billion FE6 rebalance hacks, literally more than I can count. I've lost count of exactly how many there are. How can you say NO ONE has tried to do this?

then do it yourself?

I am doing it, was just hoping for some input is all.

If nobody likes the idea though, then that's fine. I'll just do it all myself like I was doing before.

There's a billion FE6 rebalance hacks, literally more than I can count. I've lost count of exactly how many there are. How can you say NO ONE has tried to do this?

Because I've not heard of any that are generally recommended to overall improve the game. I've seen some that give your characters FE8-style growths, I've seen others that try to lighten the difficulty, and I've seen complete overhauls.

Edited by gringe

It's nothing about not liking the idea. It's simply "Yeah it's been done a lot" If this is something you wanna do, along side your edited script, that's cool. I'm just cocking an eyebrow at the "Nobody has done this before"

It's nothing about not liking the idea. It's simply "Yeah it's been done a lot" If this is something you wanna do, along side your edited script, that's cool. I'm just cocking an eyebrow at the "Nobody has done this before"

Okay, fair enough then. I suppose there would be a hack like this, but I personally haven't seen a comprehensive balance hack for the base game. Improving growths without improving enemies further trivializes the endgame, for example.

5% growth increase does nothing ("big difference" nothing it has functionally NO difference; over 20 levels that's an average of 1 extra point, which is like literally nothing)

If you can find the hex code for turn-based events and use a hex editor making it so all reinforcements happen on the ally phase would be a breeze

as in like, find/replace instant completion boom, if you had knowledge of events it'd probably take 5 minutes... that being said you don't seem to so if you ever get far enough you're ready to release a patch or something and want that done, PM me and I -should- be able to do it. not doing anything now though since this is just an idea

gl

Man, crazy how many projects there are with this idea. I've been wanting to do one of these for years, too. It's a pretty common concept. I've always thought it'd be nice to make a little "update" to the game. If Intelligent Systems had decided to release Binding Blade as a sequel to Blazing Sword in the west, I feel like they'd have done some cleanup work on the title. Somewhat like what you're describing. They'd touch things up, import all of the engine improvements from FE7, expand the story, maybe draw a few more connections with the prequel, rework the balance, and just generally give the game a nice little upgrade. It'd be a solid effort to create that hack. Hell, at this point it should just get a full on remake. There's a lot of things that could be done to improve the game.

However, we've already got KoT's FE6 Anniversary project, Superluigi, wherever he may be (I'm still holding my breath for his triumphant return), also has an FE6 remake in the works. Onmi's also got an FE6 expansion of his own design. That's three FE6 projects off the top of my head. It's getting a little crowded in FE6land, don't ya think?

However, we've already got KoT's FE6 Anniversary project, Superluigi, wherever he may be (I'm still holding my breath for his triumphant return), also has an FE6 remake in the works. Onmi's also got an FE6 expansion of his own design. That's three FE6 projects off the top of my head. It's getting a little crowded in FE6land, don't ya think?

A general remake/total upgrade would be cool... but since IS DIDN'T do this, any additional content from a fan remake is basically fanon. Which is fine in its right, but I'd like the original as well, just improved a little in playability.

Why improve FE6 when it's already so good?

I dunno, I'd say it has a lot of easily fixed problems.