QOTD Thread: The End

Interest

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know why nobody has said the Tardis, literally the best mode of transportation ever. I also have always wanted to use a hookshot from Zelda, an Iron Man suit would be fun, and a Pokeball.

But the movie taught us it is bad D:. Didn't you see it D:

I actually didn't see it but there's totally a thing as reasonable power abuse.. right?

New question!

A common inquiry people make to others is whether they would have immortality. However, because this question is asked rather frequently I have instead decided to do a variation of this question.

Imagine you found a device that allows you to set how long your body will biologically function. You will pretty much become invulnerable to death and mortal agony until that point in time, in which you will peacefully die. However, the device is designed to be set only once and then it fuses with your body, never to be changed again and sealing your fate. You do not age*.

Thus: If you could live for a fixed duration of time, how long would you live for? You can choose an infinitesimally large value to emulate immortality if you so desire. Assume that any future event (such as the destruction of earth due to the sun going supernova) will not kill you within this time (also you cannot end your own life) and you will always have access to your biological functions instead of being in a constant state of dying/pain/obvious state of suck in such a situation. (i.e. you get shot, but your body heals over the wound and dissolves the bullet instantaneously and you feel minimal pain).

*unless for some reason you want to.

(Note: The way this device works is selective, so it won't prevent you from having a surgery or something, even though chances are you probably won't need it anyways. Also this device is not a medical end-all do-all, so you may still retain something like say, an allergy, but said allergy cannot result in your death or cause incredibly large amounts of agony)

Personally, I could go for about 23 years.

Edit: Feel free to ask additional questions regarding the *device*

Edited by Interest

I have a bit of catching up to do:

21. What is one piece of "futuristic" technology you think will exist within this decade? (Page 28)

Being able to control another person's body functions with your own thoughts. It's already in the making.

22. What would you do if you came across a large amount of wealth? (Page 28)

Share some with my family, give some to charity, buy myself a nice place with a game room and a gym. Sorted.

23. What is one piece of technology that you think will become obsolete within this decade? (Page 30)

Television. Internet, baby.

24. What are your computer's specs? (Page 30)

Brand: Samsung

Item Weight: 2.8 Kg

Product Dimensions: 27 x 3.5 cm

Batteries: 1 Nonstandard Battery batteries required. (included)

Item model number: NP350E7C-S02UK

Colour: Black

Form Factor: Desktop Replacement

Screen Size: 17.3 inches

Processor Brand: Intel Processor

Type: Intel Core i7 Processor Speed 2.4 GHz

Processor Count: 4

RAM Size: 8 GB

Computer Memory Type: DDR3 SDRAM

Hard Drive Size: 1000 GB

Hard Drive Interface: ATA

Graphics Chipset Brand: AMD

Graphics Card Description: AMD Radeon HD7670M

Graphics RAM Type: VRAM

Graphics Card Ram Size: 2 GB

Wireless Type: 802.11B, 802.11G, 802.11n

Operating System: Windows 8

Lithium Battery Weight: 1.5 kilograms

25. How do you handle “bad” days? (Page 31)

Play games/sleep/drink beer, amongst not conferring with other humans.

26. If aliens of an unknown intention were to visit Earth and you met them, what would you do? (Page 33)

Find a way to communicate.

27. What's your favorite board game? (Page 34)

Not a big fan of board games, but I smoetimes play Rummikub, Monopoly and Ticket to Ride.

28. What was a favorite childhood hobby that you rarely/never do today? (Page 36)

When I was young (10 and below), I was a skinny motherfucker and one of the fastest runners in the class. Then I bulked up. I wish I kept with playing rugby, to be honest.

29. What kind of people do you really like? (Page 37)

Primarily people who like to speak but also know when I'm not up for talking. People who are open with me. Those with relatively equal interests.

30. Did/Do you play an instrument? If so, which one? (Page 39)

Does a glockenspiel count?

31. How do you typically spend your weekends? (Page 41)

Fucking my left hand. Playing games. Taking shits. Showering. Maybe go outside, eat food and stuff.

32. What one thing would you link to help restore someone's faith in humanity? (Page 42)

I've seen quite a few examples of people doing good deeds. One that sticks in my mind is the story of a police officer in New York who purchased a pair of boots for a shoeless homeless guy. I'm not sure if I'd have even considered doing that, but it's helped put me in that mindset of helping others whenever possible.

33. What’s your favorite cartoon show growing up? (Page 43)

Fucking, loads. If I had to say just ONE, then it would be Sonic the Hedgehog.

Others would include (for as long as I can remember, and at no particular age in my childhood) Dragonball Z, Thomas the Tank Engine, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Samurai Pizza Cats, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Pokemon, Digimon, Tenchi Muyo...

Fox Kids and Cartoon Network all day.

34. What's your favorite ice cream flavor?(Page 45)

I like a lot, but chocolate tops them all.

35. What fictional device(s) from games/movies/shows etc would you like to have? (Page 47)

I would love to have a K.I.T.T., the vehicle from Knight Rider.

Edited by Raven

*really tempted to say 10^37 years*

I have no clue.

Why not right? You could be divine overlord of humanity xD

Lead civilizations as their undying leader.

In reality though, living for that long sounds interesting in theory...? But I wonder if people would end up getting bored if they had the ability to live that long with no fear of death o:

Maybe I'd set my own year limit to... 500 years. Sounds like a good enough time to learn things I want to learn, and master skills I want to master haha.

I was REALLY hoping someone would say television ;)

Nobody else did? Surprising, really.

As for the newest question, I would choose maybe 60 years. I don't see the point in outliving your own children, I'm already 24 with no children, so I think 60 is reasonable.

During this time I would become the epitome of fitness, play rugby for Wales, and fight the worst crimes, since I'm invincible and all.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is the fact that many people I will know will pass. I'd say a thousand years, but only if I have the power to give the gift to my relatives, my potential spouse, and my probably many offspring I make in those 1000 years.

EDIT: but then my wife, and my children would want people to have the gift of immortality. You know what, make the lifespan of the entire human race 1000 years.

Edited by Knight

151 years.

I just want to see the year 2142.

EDIT: author's note: i intend to live this long anyway

Edited by Integrity

I would make it double my lifespan, provided that my body would still work just about fine in the 100s.

I would do that because I would use it as an oppurtunity to mourn for the fact that everyone who I've known has passed away... and then go on and meet more people again, to repeat that experience one last time.

35. What fictional device(s) from games/movies/shows etc would you like to have? (Page 47)

I would love to have a K.I.T.T., the vehicle from Knight Rider.

I see what you did there....