QOTD Thread: The End

Interest

Thor

I have a thing for more historical/fantasy type of settings rather than modern, so Thor fits that quite nicely, being both millennia old and a god. I really like the fact that despite that he's this huge muscular super strong powerful guy who can shatter planets and not really give a fuck, he's actually super compassionate and sweet. It's fucking adorable. His whole relationship with earth/midgard is also interesting. It's both a nature (son of Jord/Gaea, earth goddess) and all the people he knew and fought alongside and loved through the millennia, that Thor always returns to earth and protects it even when every other god has left. And then there's his family dynamic too. His relationship with Loki is most notable and part of the reason why I fell in love with his character, but his relationship with Odin is also very interesting.

I'd go on more but then there'd be a wall of text.

Also he has really pretty hair

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got no choice but to jump on the Batman bandwagon. He doesn't need fancy superpowers to get the job done! Just martial arts, gadgets and a whole load of wits! (Plus I like his whole character and associated personality).

...I bet the next QOTD is going to be about supervillains...

Man, I am a HUGE superhero fan. I could spout off an entire litany of superheroes that I absolutely adore, but the goddamn Batman has always been and will probably always be my favorite.

New question!

What is your favorite quote(s) from a novel or novels?

Personally, I have a couple. First:

“People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.”

and second:

“The only sovereign I can allow to rule me is reason. The first law of reason is this: what exists exists; what is is. From this irreducible, bedrock principle, all knowledge is built. This is the foundation from which life is embraced. Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way of grasping reality–it is our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."

Yeah. I liked those books...

somebody who's also read the black company help me (probably my own sister who's asleep at the mo) can remember the later ditty about stone remembers, immortality of a sort, soldiers live and wonder why

it's too early but i want to respond because i'll forget later :(

I don't know. I like this one, but it's probably not my favouritest favourite:

Picturesque meant – he decided after careful observation of the scenery that inspired Twoflower to use the word – that the landscape was horribly precipitous. Quaint, when used to describe the occasional village through which they passed, meant fever-ridden and tumbledown. Twoflower was a tourist, the first ever seen on the discworld. Tourist, Rincewind had decided, meant ‘idiot’.

Probably some more I don't even remember. Maybe a few of the poems from lotr.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

and a bunch of others from Sherlock Holmes. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's, not the movie.

"NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH"

Also there's probably some Minerva McGonagall being sassy as fuck to Umbridge but i'm currently not remembering

can the ezio speech about choosing your own path count because ac2 has a novelisation, also his interpretations of creed is in the acr novelisation too I think

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze

"NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH"

Also there's probably some Minerva McGonagall being sassy as fuck to Umbridge but i'm currently not remembering

can the ezio speech about choosing your own path count because ac2 has a novelisation, also his interpretations of creed is in the acr novelisation too I think

Hell yeah! [/high fives]

Oh, that's a nasty one! You're asking me to hunt down favourite qoutes from the 500 odd novels lying round my bedroom? Sheesh that's a tall order!

...I'll be right back.

(In the meantime I'll leave a non novel qoute from Terry Pratchett (The Unadulterated Cat) - "An Alsatian is just a wolf in a collar, biding its time...")

Hell yeah! [/high fives]

/high fives back

oh hey Ezio's farewell letter is in the acr novel too

I like it better in Embers though because Roger Craig Smith narrating it makes it that much more emotional

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze

somebody who's also read the black company help me (probably my own sister who's asleep at the mo) can remember the later ditty about stone remembers, immortality of a sort, soldiers live and wonder why

it's too early but i want to respond because i'll forget later :(

aaaah yes those quotes!

I'll try to dig them up

I love those

Speaking of quotes I love what Dumbledore tells Harry when he's in the limbo state "Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love. By returning, you may ensure that fewer souls are maimed, fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say good-bye for the present. "

And afterwards, "Tell me one last thing, said Harry. Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?

Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real? "