Awakening "Headcanons"

Here's some more:

1. The language that Reyson and Co. speak was either around on other continents or was carried into other continents. Either way, the language was used after the Tellius games for at least Judgral's legendary tomes.

2. Grima is not a man. Grima is a sexless being. Or Grima is both.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not particularly a problem, it just (for lack of a better expression) doesn't really make sense...Either gender, or even genderless is many times more acceptable.

Here are a few more:

1. Mila and Domah are members of the Dragonkin.

2. The kingdom Jesse and Co. founded after Domah was beaten is Chon'sin.

3. Elder Magic in FE is magic where the most powerful users make contact with something or someone (such as Loptyr, the spirits that the Tellius elder magic users make contact with) with the user himself or herself being "touched". With varying effects. Light Magic is magic drawn from the user's sincere faith in something or someone. Anima magic is where the casts with the aid of the wind, fire, etc.

Edited by The Void

Naga is both genders so why can't the evil counter part have the same trait?

Future Past 3 implies that 'Naga' might be more of a title or an inherited name.

Naga is both genders so why can't the evil counter part have the same trait?

The Archaneans in FE3 view Naga as male, but they are wrong and this is not the case. Note than Xane always refers to Naga as female. As mentioned above, Naga could possibly be male at one point in time as it seems to be some sort of Dread Pirate Roberts-esque title, but to our knowledge there has only ever been one Naga historically, and she has been female.

The Archaneans in FE3 view Naga as male, but they are wrong and this is not the case. Note than Xane always refers to Naga as female. As mentioned above, Naga could possibly be male at one point in time as it seems to be some sort of Dread Pirate Roberts-esque title, but to our knowledge there has only ever been one Naga historically, and she has been female.

Actually, from what I remember of what was I told when I also brought it up, Xane actually referred to Naga in gender-neutral pronouns.

I don't really have headcanons for Awakening. Well, I would have liked Emmeryn, Gangrel, and Walhart to stay dead, as well as Robin in his/her ending, but I doubt that counts.

Taguel are just Laguz by another name and on a different continent.

I thought Taguels were different from Laguz, seeing as they need a Beaststone to shift while the Laguz don't require one.

I thought Taguels were different from Laguz, seeing as they need a Beaststone to shift while the Laguz don't require one.

Seeing as there remains pretty much only a small number of dragons left, I sort of saw it as the Laguz being wiped out over time, as well as further interspecies (the laguz would technically be another species, right?) breeding led to the general decline in the Laguz's powers.

Seeing as there remains pretty much only a small number of dragons left, I sort of saw it as the Laguz being wiped out over time, as well as further interspecies (the laguz would technically be another species, right?) breeding led to the general decline in the Laguz's powers.

Is interspecies breeding possible? From the Mordecai and Stefan support conversations, the beast tribes couldn't breed with the bird tribes. (Well, there are the Branded, but they can't shift at all.)

Is interspecies breeding possible? From the Mordecai and Stefan support conversations, the beast tribes couldn't breed with the bird tribes. (Well, there are the Branded, but they can't shift at all.)

Wasn't even aware of that support. I really have no idea, then.

I don't know why some people say the Avatar should stay dead in his/her ending. This is a terrible idea, imo. For two reasons.

1. It would leave the Avatar's spouse really sad. Wouldn't you be really down for a long time if your spouse, someone you loved so much, died so soon after you were married? xP And the characters already went through enough crap as it is. I wouldn't want to put the Avatar's spouse through even more pain.

2. Morgan wouldn't be able to exist in the present timeline. And male Morgan is adorable. :3

Edited by Anacybele

I only have the fan translation to go on but in Fe4 they refer to him as Lord Narga the whole time (as opposed to Lady Narga). Though Lord could still work for a powerful female (and the Japanese could hold a different meaning entirely) they also say King Narga too. Nagi's Shadow Dragon title in the credits is also Divine Dragon King's Incarnation in the original Japanese too (from what I hear, again I don't speak Japanese) and that's part of the in game narrative so it's accuracy can't really be desputed.

I always felt that the line "Naga took the form of a maiden" was mentioned as an indicator the thing is above a human's concept of gender. I mean why else bother mentioning it took a female form? The only use would be to indicate the god is female when there's much better way of indicating that (like using goddess, lady or queen as a title).

Yeah, when I asked I also brought up that the fan translation of MotE had Xane refer to Naga as a male, but that's when I was told that in the original Japanese it was more of gender-neutral terms and they went for male pronouns for a reason I no longer remember. I suppose asking about it again will clear things up... I'd guess.

I only have the fan translation to go on but in Fe4 they refer to him as Lord Narga the whole time (as opposed to Lady Narga). Though Lord could still work for a powerful female (and the Japanese could hold a different meaning entirely) they also say King Narga too. Nagi's Shadow Dragon title in the credits is also Divine Dragon King's Incarnation in the original Japanese too (from what I hear, again I don't speak Japanese) and that's part of the in game narrative so it's accuracy can't really be desputed.

I always felt that the line "Naga took the form of a maiden" was mentioned as an indicator the thing is above a human's concept of gender. I mean why else bother mentioning it took a female form? The only use would be to indicate the god is female when there's much better way of indicating that (like using goddess, lady or queen as a title).

Personally, my interpretation of the FE4 pronouns (which is, of course, not necessarily directly analogous to the original Japanese) is that they reflect Naga's status as the single supreme leader of the Dragon Tribe. I would suspect that this is perhaps an issue with some meaning or context being lost in translation.

In the end, regardless of whatever the humans might think at one point in time, Naga has appeared in a clearly female form in every one of her documented historical appearances (Darna, First Awakening, Second Awakening), and has never been declared to be male by any educated source.

In the end, regardless of whatever the humans might think at one point in time, Naga has appeared in a clearly female form in every one of her documented historical appearances (Darna, First Awakening, Second Awakening), and has never been declared to be male by any educated source.

Except the Shadow Dragon Ending referring to Nagi as the Divine Dragon King's Incarnation.

Though, as much as I like the concept of a gender hopping god (I feel as if the whole benevolent goddess trope is a bit overdone at this stage) I think what realistically has happened is that Nintendo changed their mind about Naga's gender at some point and we probably will see her in a female form in all future installments (should she appear again that is).

Personally, my interpretation of the FE4 pronouns (which is, of course, not necessarily directly analogous to the original Japanese) is that they reflect Naga's status as the single supreme leader of the Dragon Tribe. I would suspect that this is perhaps an issue with some meaning or context being lost in translation.

You know, this makes me wonder of those pictures shown in MotE's intro, where it narrates the events before the game, and show Naga as a male. It probably doesn't really had much of a significance, much less so since New Mystery dropped them I think, but it still makes me wonder why portray Naga as a male there.

Except the Shadow Dragon Ending referring to Nagi as the Divine Dragon King's Incarnation.

Though, as much as I like the concept of a gender hopping god (I feel as if the whole benevolent goddess trope is a bit overdone at this stage) I think what realistically has happened is that Nintendo changed their mind about Naga's gender at some point and we probably will see her in a female form in all future installments (should she appear again that is).

Yes, but being that the Japanese title... well, it depends if it matches with the other times Naga has been referred to as the Divine Dragon's Ruler.

I suppose that's what is most likely. Now I could see why those images of a Male Naga could mean...

Oh wait, I think Awakening states Naga has used both forms in the past...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I don't know why some people say the Avatar should stay dead in his/her ending. This is a terrible idea, imo. For two reasons.

1. It would leave the Avatar's spouse really sad. Wouldn't you be really down for a long time if your spouse, someone you loved so much, died so soon after you were married? xP And the characters already went through enough crap as it is. I wouldn't want to put the Avatar's spouse through even more pain.

2. Morgan wouldn't be able to exist in the present timeline. And male Morgan is adorable. :3

Two words that completely and utterly rebuke that entire sentiment: Chrom's Ending.

No, really. Let Chrom deliver the final blow: <Yes>

Two words that completely and utterly rebuke that entire sentiment: Chrom's Ending.

No, really. Let Chrom deliver the final blow: <Yes>

You're missing my point. Whether the player is going for Chrom's ending or not, you still would have the choice of a really sad ending where Avatar's spouse suffers more sadness and pain and Morgan won't exist and I don't like that.

Edited by Anacybele

Well, yes. It does seem that before FE4, Naga was conceived as a male deity, a choice which has since been retconned. I think the closest we will get to a canonical explanation of the retcon is that the humans of Archanea had a incorrect view of dragons, and that dragon honorifics do not necessarily function the same as human honorifics. Ultimately, apart from early Archanean human perceptions of her, Naga has been consistently depicted as female. Even if she did take on a male form at some point, I would not consider it sufficient evidence of an androgynous nature, as she has shown an overwhelming preference for her female incarnation throughout the ages.