• Donnel
    • Lon'qu
    • Ricken
    • Gaius
    • Gregor
    • Libra
    • Henry
    • Basilio

iirc, Gangrel's motives were to protect the continent (...hey, is the continent called Ylisse too? Like how Archanea referred to both the continent and country?) from Walhart and then he went overboard and mad. Also has a very sucky backstory.

Here are the two main problems - a) said sucky backstory is only mentioned/implied in the japanese only background site and not every english player knows japanese (I only know about it thanks to shadowofchaos's lp) and b) his explanation/motives are ONLY shown through the optional support conversations (in particular, I think they were just the male!avatar's, though it could be in the female's as well), which some people might completely skip over because Gangrel's an ass (I only have them because I'm filling out the support library for instance). Unlike Walhart, whose motivations were stated in the story proper through both his own words and through the villains'.

IS did a VERY good job in making people (me) hate Gangrel. I feel like they bungled the whole 'atoner'/'redemption' part of him in the spotpass. (Okay yes, I'm pretty certain his conversation with Emm in the Spas mention/imply he feels he's past redemption... but, damn it, you could at least try!)

No argument here. I couldn't have put it better myself.

He forgave him? I thought it was more that Gangrel just wasn't worth killing because he was so damn pathetic.

(note: all of the above is based off my no doubt spotty memory and I could be mistaken about just about anything up there)

Nah, you're right, I just phrased it badly. I only saw the Gangrel recruitment once (I couldn't bring myself to do anything but slaughter him in my other playthrough), so your description was better. IIRC Chrom said something about not killing him out of mercy or "that's what sister would have done" kinda thing, but I still find it hard to believe that Chrom wouldn't be vindictive about it (goes back to what I said earlier in either this or another topic about lords supposedly motivated by "revenge" that don't display any sort of vindictiveness or appropriate anger).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite is probably Henry. He is cruel, murderous and has a sick sense of humor.

But unlike everyone else in the cast, he is actually intended that way. Because of that, I actually think he is less disturbing then the rest,

It's also neat that he has his unique laughing animation. It's just a bit of a shame that he is one of the characters who gets dropped into the army without any explanation but he makes more then up for it.

On the other hand of the spectrum is Virion. This guy just makes my blood boil.

He is definitly quite full of himself for an archer with a negative speed base.

Undead? Massive earthshifts? A rain of fire? A giant eyeball in the sky? No shit is given by the great Virion.

Heck, he even thinks that it is appropriate to waste the time of a knight who is on her way to actually help people. Who cares if people get their brains eaten as long as Virion gets to hump a girl's leg.

And even in a game where everyone's battle quotes are indistinguishable from the actual sociopath, Virion stands out as particular inhuman.

In particular "Die! With Magnifigance!" has to be one of the most disgusting lines I ever heard in a media uttered by a supposed hero.

It also doesn't occur Virion, that he might want to warn Chrom about Wallhart sometime during the timeskip. Because that would mean that Virion would actually care about anyone but himself.

I found Virion to be really funny. I do see one glaring problem. How is Sully beautiful? She's the ugliest female in the game.

AAAGGGH this was so hard. I find all the first gen male characters to be quite likeable. Favorite 1st gen male....I guess I'd say Chrom. There are others who have more outstanding personalities that I love, but...ugh I don't know what's wrong with me. In general, all these favorites/least favorites that I have are close ties anyway.

Least favorite was even harder to pick apart, but eventually I chose Virion. It was either him or Vaike. Honestly, I like both of them, though their personalities are a little harder to deal with. Picked Virion because his extreme horribleness at the beginning really got me frustrated.

Most favorite, Gregor. Big hearted merc who likes everyone. The way he speaks is...GOLDEN.

Least, Ricken. Annoying kid. Whines a lot. Hates being treated like a child, acts like one.

Henry is my favorite. There are an unsuspected amount of depth behind the "cheery-creepy" facade. He's an extremely nice person, who must be as socially ignorant of social behaviors as Miriel but shows it in a different way. He comes out as adorable in a lot of conversations (especially with Cordelia)... Really a great person.

Vaike is my least favorite. His gimmick "I'm strong but not bright" totally ruins his character to me.