Nerfing mounts.

The Void

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about decreasing EXP recieved by Mounts (inverse to Thief EXP rates), and forcing specialization to one weapon type?

Edited by Elieson

I think it'd make sense to prevent mounts from dodging. I don't know this for sure but I don't think horses are fast enough to dodge an attack when it's coming right at them.

Edited by Chiki

I personally think it boils down to map design. If enemies had more anti-cavalry options and the terrain was thicker, we'd see situations where mounts may do better and maps where infantry may be preferred. If there's a big open meadow, of course a cavalier will be favoured no matter what weapon type they have, just because they cover ground faster and get into the fight right away. FE10 had the right idea (OP dracos aside), reducing mounted movement indoors and introducing ledges to allow infantry units to move ahead faster. I think the infantry should actually take even fewer penalties on desert and swamp maps to enhance their advantage on certain maps. Generally I'd like to see more areas better traversed by someone on foot while cavalry may have to take the long way around.

Also, lower the starting cavs bases a little. Using FE7 as an example, Sain already doubles Lyn's strength at level 1 and has three times as much defence. He isn't doubling enemies right away like her, but she's not one rounding either. Once Sain doubles (and that's not hard for him to do), he's laughing at every infantry stuck with only a 30-40% strength growth and way worse bases. His growths overall are average but he's already started ahead of the game. Fliers are usually the same as well, with higher-than-usual bases and normal growths. FE6 had peg knights are very difficult to use other than for utility, but FE7 went the complete opposite way. Some middle ground would be nice (arguably Vanessa is that middle ground).

Perhaps give all of them except Pegasus Knights similar speed bases and growths as most Armoured Knights, it'd make a bit of sense as well because they(Cavaliers and Dracos) tend to have the 2nd highest defense stats and pretty high strength in most games(with a few exceptions) but average to above average speed for some bizarre reason.

Lower speed would prevent them doubling nearly as often and make them a bit more vulnerable, which is a fair trade off for their advantages. Pegasi would be fine the same as long as their defense stat is low I'd guess.

I personally think it boils down to map design. If enemies had more anti-cavalry options and the terrain was thicker, we'd see situations where mounts may do better and maps where infantry may be preferred. If there's a big open meadow, of course a cavalier will be favoured no matter what weapon type they have, just because they cover ground faster and get into the fight right away. FE10 had the right idea (OP dracos aside), reducing mounted movement indoors and introducing ledges to allow infantry units to move ahead faster. I think the infantry should actually take even fewer penalties on desert and swamp maps to enhance their advantage on certain maps. Generally I'd like to see more areas better traversed by someone on foot while cavalry may have to take the long way around.

Non-whole number terrain costs and different avoid bonuses for mounts and infantry would be great for this. Heck, give some terrains an avoid penalty for mounts (like desert and indoor maps) and you have a lot more incentive to use foot units there.

I think it'd make sense to prevent mounts from dodging. I don't know this for sure but I don't think horses are fast enough to dodge an attack when it's coming right at them.

I like this simple change.

My suggestion is to just lower the growths - but by a lot. Make the choice of unit harder in LTC because of the slow growths.

Also, if there are Awakening-style skills, mounted classes shouldn't get some of the best ones (Galeforce and Luna).

Edited by BlueFire

Haven't checked the thread but how about simply -2 movement for horses and -3 for flyers indoors and temporarily removing Canto?

In that case half or most the maps better be indoors, its a tricky concept to just pull "such and such indoors" because a game may not be totally designed with indoor balance in mind. Although what you suggest reminds me pretty much of dismounting especially the removal of canto indoors.

How many FE's have alot of indoor chapters? Not too many when I think of a good chunk of each games chapters.

I always thought that all you needed was to give them worse stats and restrict them to one weapon at tier one.

Forcing them to dismount indoors would work as well providing that they use their main weapon instead of swapping to swords for the non sword wielding mounts.

I always thought that all you needed was to give them worse stats and restrict them to one weapon at tier one.

Forcing them to dismount indoors would work as well providing that they use their main weapon instead of swapping to swords for the non sword wielding mounts.

I know people like to say 'reduce the stats' and it works in a vacuum, but it has two downsides. 1) How much of a stat reduction is 'good'? Should they have two points lower in all base stats? Have 50% reduced growths? What?

2) It limits what can be done with the class.

I know people like to say 'reduce the stats' and it works in a vacuum, but it has two downsides. 1) How much of a stat reduction is 'good'? Should they have two points lower in all base stats? Have 50% reduced growths? What?

2) It limits what can be done with the class.

And the problem with limiting OP classes is.... What exactly.

Stats, like all of the other numbers in FE should be done by scaling them to each other in the first place. More than likely all that's going to happen is that mounts get bumped from best bases to similar bases as mages or any other foot class of choice in terms of total.