Emmeryn is great for the most damage, but I would marry second-gen because A) you get a better s-rank partner for avatar and B) you balance out second gen marriages, someone gets left alone otherwise.

Lucina is the obvious choice for aether, but Cynthia and Noire are both good as well.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More like Axefaire, Counter or Despoil. Axefaire is good if you ever want to be in an axe using class (Hero comes to mind), Counter is nice for Streetpass and very strong Risen, and Despoil is my fallback when I don't have a use for the others and just want something to cut prep time a bit.

This is my first [serious] run through Awakening (the only other FE I played was Radiant Dawn) and I'm doing so in Hard/Classic mode.

I'd like to finish the game before I must resume classes (March) and, maybe, getting some DLC's and/or going through it all over but with different pairings.

Now, since I'm yet far from being as well versed in this area as you pleople are, my chances of fully optimizing my roster are rather low (euphemism! non-existant?)

So~ I would highly appreciate any information, insight or advice you guys share with me with regards to my pseudo planned pairings detailed below.. and if you were to be kind enough as to note what I should aim for in each case (class/skill wise), or how to pair the resulting offsprings, I'll be on your debt!

Sumia - Chrom (they're already on support lvl C so I guess there's no changing this u.u)

Sully - Donnel (Kellem? Fred?)

Olivia - Lon Qu (Fred? Kellem?)

Lissa - Libra (Vaike? Fred?)

Maribelle - Henry

Cordellia - Stahl (Gaius?)

Cherche - Gregor (Stahl? Fred? Vaike?)

Panne - Fred (Vaike?)

Tharja - Gaius (Libra?)

Miriel - Ricken

Nowi - No clues here

In addition, I'm juggling so many options for [+spd/-lck] Robin's waifu that it's driving me nuts already ^^; There's Cordelia, Tharja, Sully, Cherche, Severa, Lucina, Cinthia, and perhaps Nowi, too x.x

So many thanks for your advice and patience~ :3

Edited by Tawaraya

Well, having LissaxLibra will bring down Owain's strength. He'll already get good magic from Lissa anyways, so supporting Lissa with a magic user isn't entirely necessary, especially if you plan to keep Owain as a Swordmaster.

Well, having LissaxLibra will bring down Owain's strength. He'll already get good magic from Lissa anyways, so supporting Lissa with a magic user isn't entirely necessary, especially if you plan to keep Owain as a Swordmaster.

First of all, thanks a lot for your response, since I've been dying to ask you if the picture you use as an avatar is Yamada Taro!!! It reminds me so much of him~

Secondly, thanks for your input. I'm scratching Libra out of Lissa's life and now there's yet another slot to be filled~ ^^; who would you advise instead? 83

Additionally, I haven't made my mind on anyone's final class so far.. ==U

PS: I love the pic of Sully you use as a siggie~ >.<

Edited by Tawaraya

...Unless someone is specifying base classes this is terrible advice.

Owain just isn't suited for physical combat at all. He should be getting a magic father either Ricken or Libra specifically.

Ricken yields Luna and solid mods.

Libra yields better mods than Henry, and Vengeance to match Owain's natural Vantage.

This is my first [serious] run through Awakening (the only other FE I played was Radiant Dawn) and I'm doing so in Hard/Classic mode.

I'd like to finish the game before I must resume classes (March) and, maybe, getting some DLC's and/or going through it all over but with different pairings.

Now, since I'm yet far from being as well versed in this area as you pleople are, my chances of fully optimizing my roster are rather low (euphemism! non-existant?)

So~ I would highly appreciate any information, insight or advice you guys share with me with regards to my pseudo planned pairings detailed below.. and if you were to be kind enough as to note what I should aim for in each case (class/skill wise), or how to pair the resulting offsprings, I'll be on your debt!

Sumia - Chrom (they're already on support lvl C so I guess there's no changing this u.u)

Sully - Donnel (Kellem? Fred?)

Olivia - Lon Qu (Fred? Kellem?)

Lissa - Libra (Vaike? Fred?)

Maribelle - Henry

Cordellia - Stahl (Gaius?)

Cherche - Gregor (Stahl? Fred? Vaike?)

Panne - Fred (Vaike?)

Tharja - Gaius (Libra?)

Miriel - Ricken

Nowi - No clues here

In addition, I'm juggling so many options for [+spd/-lck] Robin's waifu that it's driving me nuts already ^^; There's Cordelia, Tharja, Sully, Cherche, Severa, Lucina, Cinthia, and perhaps Nowi, too x.x

So many thanks for your advice and patience~ :3

Only do Ricken/Miriel if you have a Female MU and are planning on marrying the resultant Laurent, or really want a Magic hard support. Otherwise go with a father that has Myrmidon to compliment Laurent's natural Vengeance with Vantage. Probably Gregor (in turn, give Gerome Vaike or Henry).

Inigo wants Luna. Enough said. Give him Stahl (Give Severa Lon'qu).

Nowi-- Kellam or Frederick. Nah's not that great of a unit. And neither is Nowi. Kellam and Fred allow for her to be a brick, which is her best role if you're actually using her, unless you run 7/2, where she probably wants Vaike so she can get Axefaire and run hard support.

MU should go to a second gen female with Galeforce. This evens out the second gen marriages, gives a very powerful Morgan, and has the same or better Galeforce couple yield as MU/1st Generation (Galeforce lacking). Lucina's likely your best bet: +9 SPD and Aether on Morgan.

...Unless someone is specifying base classes this is terrible advice.

Owain just isn't suited for physical combat at all. He should be getting a magic father either Ricken or Libra specifically.

Ricken yields Luna and solid mods.

Libra yields better mods than Henry, and Vengeance to match Owain's natural Vantage.

Only do Ricken/Miriel if you have a Female MU and are planning on marrying the resultant Laurent, or really want a Magic hard support. Otherwise go with a father that has Myrmidon to compliment Laurent's natural Vengeance with Vantage. Probably Gregor (in turn, give Gerome Vaike or Henry).

Inigo wants Luna. Enough said. Give him Stahl (Give Severa Lon'qu).

Nowi-- Kellam or Frederick. Nah's not that great of a unit. And neither is Nowi. Kellam and Fred allow for her to be a brick, which is her best role if you're actually using her, unless you run 7/2, where she probably wants Vaike so she can get Axefaire and run hard support.

MU should go to a second gen female with Galeforce. This evens out the second gen marriages, gives a very powerful Morgan, and has the same or better Galeforce couple yield as MU/1st Generation (Galeforce lacking). Lucina's likely your best bet: +9 SPD and Aether on Morgan.

Many thanks for your detailed input!

*unscratches Libra* o.oa

In this scenario where I cannot steer Chrom away from Sumia, which one would be the best father for Gerome? What about Severa's? I just checked your pairings and this one set match (Chrom-Sumia) changes so many things if I were to attempt something similar to that gameplay of yours o.o;

I'm not yet set about this, but I feel more comfortable with going the GaleForce way; not sure if I should go for 7 or 6, though..

I've read some other threads delving on MaMU's waifu and since the vast majority showed a preference to either Lucina or Nowi, I am now considering these two options as a sort of final contenders~ xD

I bet this will sound silly but, how could I focus the very best resources available in order to elevate Severa, Gerome, Lucina, Inigo, (Fem) Morgan, Owain, and maybe Cinthia to power's highest tier?

I'm just wondering here, but would Anna make for a good wife? Redheads are my kryptonite~ :P

Alternative switching from AC's suggestion:

Miriel - Lon'qu (Give Laurent Vantage and better Meg Skl Spd mods but no Armsthrift)

Olivia - Ricken (It's not so good as Lissa - Ricken but still OK.)

And don't switch other pairs.

(Edit) For Vantage + Vengeance units in Apo, you DO need a definite 100% Dual Strike to KO all available enemy units before suffering their attacks, since once you got hit by the enemy unit you'd always die.

So if you don't make Lucina a VV unit (only possible with Chrom x FeMU), pair Lucina with a VV unit is recommended.

But in other side, you don't need VV units to pair anyone outside the Apo.

Edited by MelonGx

BTW, you should swap around so you get Ricken!Lissa, so Owain gets Luna (Tharja doesn't have natural Galeforce so Noire makes for a better Mirespammer instead of a frontline unit)

If you want a redhead, you should go for Cordelia. Anna's weak point is that it is only one Morgan without the beastly modifiers of 3rd generation(Severa becomes pretty much a second Morgan). StahlxOlivia gives Inigo Sniper access and Luna, instead of lon'qu which only gives trickster and a couple breakers.

In addition, Libra!Brady is better than Henry!Brady given that the point of STR is wasted anyways, and the bonus Res would be more desirable.

Edited by tuvarkz

Miriel - Lon'qu (Give Laurent Vantage and better Meg Skl Spd mods but no Armsthrift)

(Edit) For Vantage + Vengeance units in Apo, you DO need a definite 100% Dual Strike to KO all available enemy units before suffering their attacks, since once you got hit by the enemy unit you'd always die.

So if you don't make Lucina a VV unit (only possible with Chrom x FeMU), pair Lucina with a VV unit is recommended.

V/V only truly requires 100% if you're sweeping [i.E. only using the V/V unit], most targets in Apo only take 4 shots to be blown down from it at full power (a little point Double Fizzle at 90% happens 1:100. Double success is 4:5, so a non-sweeper can fair surprisingly well). Just make sure that you don't try to screw around with silly things like A-rank supports.

Note that MaMU can do V/V, which is part of why Lucina's heavily ideal.

(Also, even without Vantage, Vengeance itself is a strong, reliable proc. It's, with a bit of minor set up, better than Luna. Which is why Stahl!Severa is horribly overrated, considering she doesn't need Luna, and gets better mods from Lon'qu or even Virion!)

Edited by Airship Canon

I've read some other threads delving on MaMU's waifu and since the vast majority showed a preference to either Lucina or Nowi, I am now considering these two options as a sort of final contenders~ xD

Regarding Lucina and Nowi:

Lucina is good because Gen3 Morgan is better than Gen2 Morgan, sometimes significantly so. If you want Gen3 Morgan, you need to marry one of the children, and of them Lucina is the best because a) she has DS+, which is incredible for sweeping DLC and very helpful maingame, b) passes Morgan Aether (the only other potential Gen2 mother with something unique to pass is Nah, and she's not that great of a unit), and c) tends to be Spd-oriented, which is one of the more useful stats.

Nowi, on the other hand: Her class set beyond Manakete is nonexistant; she lacks any sort of offensive proc, Galeforce, and doesn't even have any skills that a tank could use (reliable self-healing, PavGis, Pass). While most children have something that can be combined with their father's skills to be good, Nah has nothing and gets everything she has from her father (aside from Manakete, which has trouble keeping up in the DLC). Unfortunately, Donnel and Gaius, the fathers who pass down Pegasus Knight, can't offer either Vengeance or Luna, meaning she still has no offensive proc and will have trouble killing things to activate it.

Enter Avatar: he can give her all the classes, and she needs the boost the most out of all the children in the game. Manakete is also one of the few classes that can make use of Ignis. The two drawbacks to this pairing are that Nowi and Avatar are both Galeforceless and relatively useless together once tanking wears out it's welcome (Nowi has no support skills either), and that Nah is slow and Morgan will be too. You can make your Avatar +Spd for them to get overall +3 Spd, but then any flaw will either damage their fragile Skl/Spd, or take away their high defenses, leaving them with no standout mods. You can also completely ignore their Spd and focus on defense, but then they won't be too helpful in Apo despite having all the classes.

Inigo is quite versatile in any case, but anyways Chrom and Stahl probably in terms of phyisical dmg focused builds(Chrom should be fatering either him or Cynthia anyways, Brady doesn't need RFK nor the +1 STR, nor sniper, and kjelle and lucina w/o GF just plainly sucks), or Ricken if going for Magical (Olivia has neither mods in STR nor MAG so Inigo can be either depending on the parent)

I'm sure this was already mentioned but I would suggest this guide for pairings, I found it very helpful:

http://thephilosogamer.blogspot.com/2013/03/fire-emblem-awakening-character.html

With Inigo I definitely would set up what skills you want with him and then finding a father that gives it seeing as Olivia's mods are so small (+1 spd, skl; -1 def, res). I personally like Chrom because rightful king is fun with aegis and luna access and no overlap in classes but what coolcoolcool has is probably right.

I'm sure this was already mentioned but I would suggest this guide for pairings, I found it very helpful:

http://thephilosogamer.blogspot.com/2013/03/fire-emblem-awakening-character.html

With Inigo I definitely would set up what skills you want with him and then finding a father that gives it seeing as Olivia's mods are so small (+1 spd, skl; -1 def, res). I personally like Chrom because rightful king is fun with aegis and luna access and no overlap in classes but what coolcoolcool has is probably right.

That guy is still recommending Kellam!Owain.

No, that guide is rather known for being trash.

This one is going to be a bit long, so please bear with me~

Thanks! Though I feel more comfortable with a physical Inigo. Now, I'm interested in Miriel - Lon Qu here for it'll allow me to go with Nowi - Gregor, which in turn lets Vaike free for Cherche (Gerome MUST be a power for everybody and their grannies to reckon~). But I'm not sure these pairs would entail some serious hindrances; maybe I could instead go with Nowi - Vaike, and Cherche - Gregor.. if somebody could shed some light here I'd highly appreciate it! xD

BTW, you should swap around so you get Ricken!Lissa, so Owain gets Luna (Tharja doesn't have natural Galeforce so Noire makes for a better Mirespammer instead of a frontline unit)

If you want a redhead, you should go for Cordelia. Anna's weak point is that it is only one Morgan without the beastly modifiers of 3rd generation(Severa becomes pretty much a second Morgan). StahlxOlivia gives Inigo Sniper access and Luna, instead of lon'qu which only gives trickster and a couple breakers.

In addition, Libra!Brady is better than Henry!Brady given that the point of STR is wasted anyways, and the bonus Res would be more desirable.

Thanks! I have this really strong feeling Cordelia should be paired with Chrom.. yeah I'm weird like that~

On the other hand, Maribelle - Ricken is and interesting pair, too. I'm seriously considering it so I might be able to pair Henry with either Tharja or Nowi (???)

V/V only truly requires 100% if you're sweeping [i.E. only using the V/V unit], most targets in Apo only take 4 shots to be blown down from it at full power (a little point Double Fizzle at 90% happens 1:100. Double success is 4:5, so a non-sweeper can fair surprisingly well). Just make sure that you don't try to screw around with silly things like A-rank supports.

Note that MaMU can do V/V, which is part of why Lucina's heavily ideal.

(Also, even without Vantage, Vengeance itself is a strong, reliable proc. It's, with a bit of minor set up, better than Luna. Which is why Stahl!Severa is horribly overrated, considering she doesn't need Luna, and gets better mods from Lon'qu or even Virion!)

Thankies~ I was not aware of these things and the fact that I can get my way with VV regardless of it attaining 100% or not gives me quite some relief!

Yet, on the matter of Severa, would you please give me your opinion on the benefits and flaws on a kind of crazy idea I just had: Gregor!Severa or perhaps Gaius!Severa? x3

Regarding Lucina and Nowi:

Lucina is good because Gen3 Morgan is better than Gen2 Morgan, sometimes significantly so. If you want Gen3 Morgan, you need to marry one of the children, and of them Lucina is the best because a) she has DS+, which is incredible for sweeping DLC and very helpful maingame, b) passes Morgan Aether (the only other potential Gen2 mother with something unique to pass is Nah, and she's not that great of a unit), and c) tends to be Spd-oriented, which is one of the more useful stats.

Nowi, on the other hand: Her class set beyond Manakete is nonexistant; she lacks any sort of offensive proc, Galeforce, and doesn't even have any skills that a tank could use (reliable self-healing, PavGis, Pass). While most children have something that can be combined with their father's skills to be good, Nah has nothing and gets everything she has from her father (aside from Manakete, which has trouble keeping up in the DLC). Unfortunately, Donnel and Gaius, the fathers who pass down Pegasus Knight, can't offer either Vengeance or Luna, meaning she still has no offensive proc and will have trouble killing things to activate it.

Enter Avatar: he can give her all the classes, and she needs the boost the most out of all the children in the game. Manakete is also one of the few classes that can make use of Ignis. The two drawbacks to this pairing are that Nowi and Avatar are both Galeforceless and relatively useless together once tanking wears out it's welcome (Nowi has no support skills either), and that Nah is slow and Morgan will be too. You can make your Avatar +Spd for them to get overall +3 Spd, but then any flaw will either damage their fragile Skl/Spd, or take away their high defenses, leaving them with no standout mods. You can also completely ignore their Spd and focus on defense, but then they won't be too helpful in Apo despite having all the classes.

Thanks a bunch for such an elaborated reply! I can certainly say these arguments of yours pretty much sold me on the idea of going for Lucina!Morgan~ ^^

Inigo is quite versatile in any case, but anyways Chrom and Stahl probably in terms of phyisical dmg focused builds(Chrom should be fatering either him or Cynthia anyways, Brady doesn't need RFK nor the +1 STR, nor sniper, and kjelle and lucina w/o GF just plainly sucks), or Ricken if going for Magical (Olivia has neither mods in STR nor MAG so Inigo can be either depending on the parent)

Thanks! I feel more comfortable with a physical Inigo, and since Chrom is already walking down the isle toward Sumia, Stahl shall father Inigo here ^^

Thanks! After the comments expressed on some posts above with regards to this guide, I think I'll skip its advice on pairings (as well as some other parts) but there are some very interesting explanations with regards to certain areas, at least for novice enthusiasts like myself, e.g.: skills and classes. So, thanks for sharing this! :3

So~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What so far seems already decided:

Sumia - Chrom

Lissa - Libra

Sully - Donnel

Panne - Fred

And these are the pairings for which I couldn't make my mind so far:

Olivia - Stahl or Ricken

Maribelle - Henry or Ricken

Cordelia - Lon Qu or Gregor

Cherche - Vaike, Gregor, or Gaius

Tharja - Gaius or Henry

Miriel - Gregor or Lon Qu

Nowi - Vaike or Gregor

please note that following this train of thought, I have not even the slightest idea on what to do with either Kellem or Virion.. ==U

If you guys could tell me how crazy these ideas are and what I should go for instead, I'd greatly appreciate it~ ^^;

Maribelle x Ricken is kinda shitty in an overall level because Brady gains effectively nothing. Just use Libra

Also I rarely said this but that guide is shitty on so many level

"- Vengeance is the most reliable damage proc in the game (many units can reach a perfect activation rate), however it is also the least useful of them all."

And he throws in a lot of bullshit below it

"They also ignore the fact that if the enemies are powerful, then the unit will likely be unable to ORKO them making Galeforce a waste of a skill slot"

"It was not meant to enable a unit to solo a map and doesn’t support that play style either."

This passage started out rather nicely. Then this one appeared, and I was like.... WHAT. The best defense is fighting against dead enemy. And Awakening enemy is laughable on so many levels unless its EG Lunatic, and EG Lunatic did not have Galeforce

Even then GF is like the second most useful aspect in the whole game for one manning a map

Either way if theres any solid prove that making a guide for Awakening is nearly a lost cause, this one nailed it

Edited by JSND

Hahaha yeah there was definitely some stuff that was garbage.

Anyways I really like Miriel-Lon'qu pair for Laurent cause a nice +4 Mag, +5 spd and skl and vantage vengeance combo. Vaike-Nowi gives a Nah a real nice skill distribution (sol and luna). Gaius with Tharja allows Noire to get galeforce (and sol if you pass it down) and Henry does not give Noire anything she really wants unless you really like valkyries.

Oh, a guide certainly could be made, and it could be quite good, as well, provided it did two things that most guides fail to do: not confuse complexity with reliability, and not try to compare characters and instead focus on using each one to their maximum potential (this may require a section for each possible child).

Ricken x Maribelle is kind of silly since Ricken has no classes to offer Brady and is pretty much mods only. On the other hand, Brady already gets native Galeforce/Luna/Aggressor/Tomefaire and really doesn't care. It's up to you if you want a mere above average unit, or can think of something else Brady might want (Merc, Myrm, and DM come to mind).

Sol and Luna have negative synergy and it's not wise to run them together unless you really know what you're doing.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Oh, a guide certainly could be made, and it could be quite good, as well, provided it did two things that most guides fail to do: not confuse complexity with reliability, and not try to compare characters and instead focus on using each one to their maximum potential (this may require a section for each possible child).

Ricken x Maribelle is kind of silly since Ricken has no classes to offer Brady and is pretty much mods only. On the other hand, Brady already gets native Galeforce/Luna/Aggressor/Tomefaire and really doesn't care. It's up to you if you want a mere above average unit, or can think of something else Brady might want (Merc, Myrm, and DM come to mind).

Sol and Luna have negative synergy and it's not wise to run them together unless you really know what you're doing.

Brady doesn't want anything else off the base kit.

Him, Yarne, and Cynthia only need 1 thing to do well in their role: Existence.

Brady: LB, TF, Agg, Luna, Gale- all from his base kit. [Ricken gives him +5 MAG]

Yarne: Has zerker. Impossible to mess him up.

Cynthia: LB, TF, Luna, Gale, [Random filler].

Maribelle x Ricken is kinda shitty in an overall level because Brady gains effectively nothing. Just use Libra

Also I rarely said this but that guide is shitty on so many level

"- Vengeance is the most reliable damage proc in the game (many units can reach a perfect activation rate), however it is also the least useful of them all."

And he throws in a lot of bullshit below it

"They also ignore the fact that if the enemies are powerful, then the unit will likely be unable to ORKO them making Galeforce a waste of a skill slot"

"It was not meant to enable a unit to solo a map and doesn’t support that play style either."

This passage started out rather nicely. Then this one appeared, and I was like.... WHAT. The best defense is fighting against dead enemy. And Awakening enemy is laughable on so many levels unless its EG Lunatic, and EG Lunatic did not have Galeforce

Even then GF is like the second most useful aspect in the whole game for one manning a map

Either way if theres any solid prove that making a guide for Awakening is nearly a lost cause, this one nailed it

Thanks! I appreciate your opinions. In a scenario where Chrom marries Sumia, and Maribelle does the same with Libra, who would you rather be paired to Lissa? what about Ricken? And if I'm not asking too much of you, why so? Thanks a bunch in advance for this one :3

Hahaha yeah there was definitely some stuff that was garbage.

Anyways I really like Miriel-Lon'qu pair for Laurent cause a nice +4 Mag, +5 spd and skl and vantage vengeance combo. Vaike-Nowi gives a Nah a real nice skill distribution (sol and luna). Gaius with Tharja allows Noire to get galeforce (and sol if you pass it down) and Henry does not give Noire anything she really wants unless you really like valkyries.

That's precisely what caught my attention about Miriel - Lon Qu! Then, with regards to Nowi - Vaike, I really like the idea of Nah getting Armsthrift, buuut I want to prioritize Gerome over Nah and it seems that Vaike or Gregor would be the best options for a father to Gerome. Then again, I've been wondering about the possibility of going Cordelia - Gregor and Cherche - Vaike, which will leave Nowi alone again.. :(

Thanks! Just as I asked JSND above, if it is already decided that Chrom marries Sumia, who would you have Maribelle marry instead of Ricken? Furthermore, who would you choose for Ricken? And if you'd go with Maribelle - Libra, as JSND above, who would you rather marry Lissa in place of Libra? Many thanks in advance for your help on this :3