Spoiling it

BlueFire

Spoiling New Pokemon  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Are you checking out the new Pokemon before playing the game?

• Totally - it enhances my excitement for the game!
    • Not very much - I prefer to experience it blind.

Most of the people I know who are getting X or Y aren't. We figured that we had a blast finding new Pokemon and wondering what there is to know about them when we first played the games, unlike Unova when we just looked up all of the Pokemon and their types and moves ahead of time. And since the games are being released worldwide simultaneously for once, we don't want to know about any Pokemon besides the starters, cover legendaries, and Sylveon - which were the first Pokemon to be released.

Anyone else not spoiling any of the gen. 6 Pokemon for themselves? I'm going to do the same for the hidden characters in SSB4. There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing it - I just want to do it for these games in particular because I miss that feeling.

Also, please don't troll me (and others) who wish not to know yet by revealing anything in this thread :):

Edited by BlueFire

I don't want to spoil it for me, but temptations are too great. When it finally comes out, I won't look at any info on the game until I beat it.

it's gonna be another one of those things where i don't pay any attention to the game, and then 50 years later when i finally get the game i have all these OMGUSH moments

like how i played pokemon emerald and fell in love with skarmory and absol...still haven't finished that game though ^^;

I'm admittedly spoiling myself with info I happen to find, though I don't go out of my way to do it. Gen 5 is the only gen where I fully spoiled the list of pokemon for myself, and only because a friend showed me the list; its nice to know in advance what pokemon there are and plan what to use, but as in previous gens I also like to discover them in-game on my own. Depending on whether a full list is revealed before launch and how prolific it will be posted online, I may end up fully spoiled or only partially.

Speaking of which, does anyone know when they officially released the Gen 5 list of pokemon? Or was that a pre-launch leak? All I remember was finding it online the summer before it was released in fall...and I wonder if they'll do the same for Gen 6...

Edited by Silver Lightning

The last generation where I experienced how it was when everything is new was the second. I've tried not to spoil me last gen, but I failed. But I'm going to do better this time. So far, I've seen the starters, the legendaries, Sylveon and, unfortunately, I've seen a glimpse of some others.
I also plan to ask a couple of friend how they find the version-exclusive Pokemon and decide by their opinions which game I'll get. xD

Yeah, I don't mind looking at some of the new Pokemon or spoiling myself a bit. I like learning about all these new Pokemon, and this is the most excited I've been about Pokemon since... since I was little. I can't NOT stop.

Now, when plot-related stuff starts coming out - if it does - I'm not going to read it. Since I'm probably getting the game in December, whenever TVTropes starts updating their page with the story I'm staying away from it then.

considering, they always spoiled the legendary mascot pokemon right from the Game's BOX COVER, why bothering the rest anyway,

they already spoiled the main thing on us on the start..>.<

Yeah, I don't mind looking at some of the new Pokemon or spoiling myself a bit. I like learning about all these new Pokemon, and this is the most excited I've been about Pokemon since... since I was little. I can't NOT stop.

Now, when plot-related stuff starts coming out - if it does - I'm not going to read it. Since I'm probably getting the game in December, whenever TVTropes starts updating their page with the story I'm staying away from it then.

Same thing here. I don't care about spoiling the Pokemons, since planning my team in advance is part of the game's fun IMO.

Besides, how can you chose your version if you don't have any idea of the exclusive ?

However, I really regreted spoiling the plot for Gen V.

I plan of buying it on day 1 (Or whenever the preorder will be available...), so I will still have a lot of surprise anyway.

I'm really only reading up on the new Pokemon, new abilities, new mechanics, new moves, and new characters, and that's about it. I don't want to get into anything story related until I actually play the game. That seems like the sensible thing to do.

You and me both, Vashiane.

My interest is basically nonexistent for X and Y right now so if/when I decide to pick it up I'll have barely seen anything about it.

My thoughts exactly.

considering, they always spoiled the legendary mascot pokemon right from the Game's BOX COVER, why bothering the rest anyway,

they already spoiled the main thing on us on the start..>.<

The... "main thing"? Personally, I couldn't care less about the legendary that is decorating the cover. I don't understand why that's such a huge thing for so many.

Edited by Nova

i'd like to do a blind playthrough of a pokemon game, but the nature of the game makes it impossible. it's long and extremely boring for me the second time around.

and in order to plan out how i'm going to train my pokemon, i need to know when i'll be able to assemble a full team. i just realized this won't happen this time around though, as the game is getting a world-wide release simultaneously, making it impossible for any of us to know ahead of time where all of the pokemon will be located. so...huh, i am actually considering a completely blind playthrough (meaning i'll stop looking up any more information).

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I prefer not to look for info on the game if I can help it. But sometimes your friends are pretty excited and link pictures so it's not entirely avoidable haha.

There's just something about playing a game blind and finding out about things in the moment that adds to the experience, I'd think. Such as evolving a Pokemon by accident instead of looking it up (Which I find ends up making the game feel more like a chore since you end up setting numerous short term goals instead of just playing the game as is?)

I'll probably end up spoiling all the Pokemon but not the team composition of the gym leaders or Elite 4. Generally I look up the Pokemon, then play a lot at once and forget what they learned, when they evolve, and what their starts are anyway. However, it does more or less give me a preview of what I want on my team along the way like how I HAD to have Whimsicott on my team in Black.

I don't see how the information released now are considered spoilers since it comes from the Pokemon Company.

Besides

All the things I've heard about the new games will matter only as soon as I start playing.

I have this mentality. Actually playing the game is so much better than reading up on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Actulally.. Now that I think of it, this will be the first game I'll play pretty blind.

Well, I played the Johto games pretty blind on a Japanese Rom Version where menus were translated, and the rest was pure gibberish. Was completely blocked by this goddamn Snorlax.

But this Time will be prtty differnet. We'll all be nearly at the same ranks.

ANd I don't count Official Informations from GameFreak as spoilers. It just makes me more eager to play the games.

Only 6 weeks left... I can't believe it's so close !