1. 1. Do you like Chrom?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How good is Chrom?

• The Best!
    • He's okay...
    • Just bad..
    • The Worst Ever!
  3. 3. Do you use Chrom? Besides his mandatory presence.

• Yes
    • No

I voted, but I never actually posted here. Silly me.

1) Yes, I like him. As the first Lord in the Fire Emblem series I've actually spent some time with, yeah.

2) He's okay... see, that's the problem with protagonists sometimes, especially when they're a cast of quirky characters to go around them. The main character is the one you're usually following, so if he seems mysterious in the beginning, you're eventually going to stumble across the backstory and most of that original mystery or intrigue is going to vanish. But that's not the case here. Chrom's a generic, good-guy sort of character, with a bit of a temper and a drive for justice and peace. Although fighting for peace is the most idiotic I-don't-even thing ever. Add this to his limited support pool, and we really don't know that much about him. He's almost instantly outclassed by some of the more interesting cast members, which is a common thing among protagonists and also disappointing.

3) Yes, I do. Granted, he plays support bot for combat unit!Olivia (I'm just waiting for someone to tell me I'm using her wrong) most of the time, but I do use him, and not just because I have to.

Oh, and while I'm at it, my sister's answers:

1) I don't like him, I adore him!

2) Duh, he's Aresa's man, of course he's awesome.

3) The two of them are INDESTRUCTIBLE forces of death and Dual Attacking!

I'm so glad she'll never see this.

Edited by Vashiane

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like I would like Chrom more if he wasn't Ylissean royalty. In the beginning, he seemed to be cool, running a vigilante force and being the one everyone looks up to. That is, until MU shows up and steals his thunder by practically doing everything for him. If his temper flared more, he'd be more interesting, cause after becoming the Exalt, all the things that make him cool are gone, as soon as Lucina shows up.

As a unit, he does his job of being the lord and I use him a lot. No complaints there

I feel like I would like Chrom more if he wasn't Ylissean royalty. In the beginning, he seemed to be cool, running a vigilante force and being the one everyone looks up to. That is, until MU shows up and steals his thunder by practically doing everything for him. If his temper flared more, he'd be more interesting, cause after becoming the Exalt, all the things that make him cool are gone, as soon as Lucina shows up.

As a unit, he does his job of being the lord and I use him a lot. No complaints there

Lucina and the Avatar pretty much hijack the plot from him after chapter 13 and bitch-fight over it until chapter 23, where the Avatar then delivers a quick Thoron strike to the stomach not only to Chrom, but to Lucina's chances of ever being the main character again.

Lucina and the Avatar pretty much hijack the plot from him after chapter 13 and bitch-fight over it until chapter 23, where the Avatar then delivers a quick Thoron strike to the stomach not only to Chrom, but to Lucina's chances of ever being the main character again.

Pretty much, this sums it all up. It's like, yes I understand you came from a doomed future. Yes I understand you need to unravel the mysteries of your origin, but this CHROM"S story.

Edited by Hero-King

Since I posted in this topic.

I actually find Chrom like some sort of Eliwood/Hetor mix. I mean, I like him, but I don't know if I'd place him at the top of my liked character list. If anything, at least I find him better than say Ephraim, Eirika, and Roy. (No real opinion on Lief in FE5 at this moment. Same goes for Alm, period.)

Really?

I wasn't too crazy about Eliwood either, but I liked Eirika.

Was she too weak?

I didn't like how naive she was. I love her fighting style. And she looks much better in the official art than in the in-game. But it's mainly her naive nature. I didn't notice it until I replayed the game on my 3DS. When I played it the first time, it didn't bother me.

And love both his Japanese and English voice actors. I agree with shadowofchaos.

Edited by jaytalks

I didn't like how naive she was. I love her fighting style. And she looks much better in the official art than in the in-game. But it's mainly her naive nature. I didn't notice it until I replayed the game on my 3DS. When I played it the first time, it didn't bother me.

For me, it was how dependent she seemed to be when it came to her brother. As if he were flawless and she a moron. Same with Ike and Mist, especially in RD. I don't know how brother-sister relationships work in Japan, but at least in the US I've never met any siblings with that kind of relationship. It all felt very plastic and unrelatable to me.

Chrom is the best Lord to date bar Hector

Do you even know who Sugita is? Do you understand Japanese fluently? Do you know the ins and out of Japanese culture? I'm gonna go with no on all of them. Stop fangirling over things; you look like a baseless weeaboo.

20120310162435!Watch-out-we-got-a-badass

You don't know Rey, dude.

For me, it was how dependent she seemed to be when it came to her brother. As if he were flawless and she a moron. Same with Ike and Mist, especially in RD. I don't know how brother-sister relationships work in Japan, but at least in the US I've never met any siblings with that kind of relationship. It all felt very plastic and unrelatable to me.

Honestly, Chrom and Lissa seem to have one of the more realistic sibling relationships in my opinion. Close, with some mild (and maybe not so minor) arguments, but not too close and not too dependent.

I found Chrom to be an Ike rehash lacking the development and charm that FE9 Ike had, and that he was just generally boring. As a combat unit I rarely ever have good luck with him so I tend to not use him.

In my most recent file Chrom got the growths of the gods and his entire family became so ridiculously overpowered that everyone in the enemy team died

Personality wise he's ok but I only use him if he becomes batshit broken again

I think Chrom is an ok character. Not good, but certainly not bad either.

I'm a little confused that he gets so much flak for being bland, since there are very few lords in fire emblem who aren't bland and I see less complaints about them.

As a unit? Uh he's alright, but i'm a bit annoyed at his lack of support options.

I liked Chrom enough to marry him during my first playthrough, though I've settled down about him since them. Marrying him to Olivia was the catalyst for my indifference - I'd have to be so careful around him that I started not caring what he did. I forgot to use a Master Seal on him when he reached level 20. I have no idea when he did it; I just looked at him one day and saw he'd maxed out. Maybe I'm jealous of Olivia, now, even though I'm working on marrying Gerome and Nah?

The characters are a bit flat, at best. I long for deeper and better character designs - and better support conversations for the female avatar, especially with Chrom. However, I did get attached to a few - Libra and Panne and Morgan, for example. Chrom never made it. Awakening characters are like clichéd lumps in an interesting shell.

I did care about Chrom quite a bit during the first playthrough, now that I'm remembering more of it - I wanted my avatar to just reach out and hug him a few times, I remember. I was proud to be by his side. Now, I have other goals on my mind - like getting Cherche the skills I want her to pass so I can marry Gerome.

Edited by Cyr

I don't mind him. He makes a good BK support unit, and his supports aren't terrible. My problems with him are having to be in every damn level. It's ridiculous. Once I start to recruit the children, the parents usually fall way behind, so I stop using them until FP. But no, Chrom and his stupid ass have to be in every single level. This means either Cynthia, Lucy, MU, or Olivia has to be away from their S support just to babysit Chrom. I also hate how he has to be in a certain place every time. In C18, I want to have my strongest units (e.g. MU, Inigo, Morgan) go up the middle. But Chrom is just sitting there, making my life harder.

Do you even know who Sugita is? Do you understand Japanese fluently? Do you know the ins and out of Japanese culture? I'm gonna go with no on all of them.

you'd be wrong on all of them

I like Chrom as a character. I like that he "does what's right."

But man, does the guy suck. Ike, for example, turned into a complete powerhouse. Chrom, not so much.

I don't know why they did that. His caps are terrible, IMO.

I also hate how he's permanently in Apo. I bet a lot of people would have easier lives if they weren't forced to use Chrom.

This really annoyed me. I mean, I made sure my entire Apotheosis team was capped in all of their stats, but I wasted a ton of time trying to get Chrom to cap Res, and he was a Dread Fighter during most of the grinding.