1. 1. Do you like Chrom?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How good is Chrom?

• The Best!
    • He's okay...
    • Just bad..
    • The Worst Ever!
  3. 3. Do you use Chrom? Besides his mandatory presence.

• Yes
    • No

Chrom is my least favorite character in the game. Pre-release, I actually liked him enough to marry him on my second playthrough, but I'm just not interested in him anymore. The only reason I use him post-game is because of Tomokazu Sugita.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted fe is chock full of references to the past games, but typing these are a good exercise after a test, so why not

Here's how simmilar Ike is with Leif

Let's see here, we have a group of Mercenary(GM - FM) with their own Leader who is secretly a Noble of some sorts(Eyvel - Greil) who is taken down early on in the story, and our heroes want to avenge said Leader(Obvious)

This Leader dude also does not fight at full power for some reason(Greil cutting his sword hand - Eyvel using Swords instead of Bows)

The leadership of the group falls into the hand of our inexperienced main character(Leif - Ike), instead of the more mature character who acted as their parental figure(Finn or Dagda - Titania)

Their parental figure have a crush on the main character's parents, in one way or another(Dagda on Eyvel, Finn on Quan - Titania on Greil)

The group is later involved in a bigger conflict(SNK - FE10)

....And it involves dudes in Black Armor who have some kind of special sword(Leidrick - Black Knight)

Coincidentally, both of them have some sort of power that invokes invulnerability to attacks(Lopt Sword - Goddess Blessing). And the main character later get a weapon that can neutralize their invulnerability(Blaggi Sword - Ragnell)

At the end of the series, the main character grows into a full fledged leader(Ike - Leif)

They have a Wind Mage partner as well(Soren - Asvel)

And a strategist who serves as the moral figure, but is constantly in a conflict with the rest of the team thanks to how they put themself(August - Soren)

And there's also a business with a princess from another country who is romantically involved with her guardian(Miranda marrying Conomore - Elincia marrying Geoffrey

Edited by JSND

Hector is amazing because reasons.

Anyway, im cool with Chrom. Hes a brah. A bit derpy at times but he actually said the words "smallclothes" and "seven hells" at one point in the DLC chapters. That makes him win some face in my eyes. :P:

I do use him mostly as a support bot for his amazing wife and/or children. I also like Falchion being indestructible. Thats wiggy, mang! Sure, hes no Hector, but Chrom is alright.

Elincia marrying Geoffrey

Why do I get the sudden bad feeling this one phrase will cause another frantic derailment? Maybe I should get popcorn.

Granted fe is chock full of references to the past games, but typing these are a good exercise after a test, so why not

Here's how simmilar Ike is with Leif

Let's see here, we have a group of Mercenary(GM - FM) with their own Leader who is secretly a Noble of some sorts(Eyvel - Greil) who is taken down early on in the story, and our heroes want to avenge said Leader(Obvious)

This Leader dude also does not fight at full power for some reason(Greil cutting his sword hand - Eyvel using Swords instead of Bows)

The leadership of the group falls into the hand of our inexperienced main character(Leif - Ike), instead of the more mature character who acted as their parental figure(Finn or Dagda - Titania)

Their parental figure have a crush on the main character's parents, in one way or another(Dagda on Eyvel, Finn on Quan - Titania on Greil)

The group is later involved in a bigger conflict(SNK - FE10)

....And it involves dudes in Black Armor who have some kind of special sword(Leidrick - Black Knight)

Coincidentally, both of them have some sort of power that invokes invulnerability to attacks(Lopt Sword - Goddess Blessing). And the main character later get a weapon that can neutralize their invulnerability(Blaggi Sword - Ragnell)

At the end of the series, the main character grows into a full fledged leader(Ike - Leif)

They have a Wind Mage partner as well(Soren - Asvel)

And a strategist who serves as the moral figure, but is constantly in a conflict with the rest of the team thanks to how they put themself(August - Soren)

And there's also a business with a princess from another country who is romantically involved with her guardian(Miranda marrying Conomore - Elincia marrying Geoffrey

FE13 also fits lots of the traits mentioned:

Group of Mercenaries: Shepherds

Leader who's a Noble (not necessarily the leader I think but close enough): Emmeryn

Leader doesn't fight at full power: Emmeryn requesting parley

Inexperienced main character: Chrom

Instead of more mature character: Frederick

More mature character has crush on main characters relatives: It's sorta implied Frederick has a crush on Emmeryn I think

Involved later in another conflict: Valm Arc

Armor guy: Does Walhart count?

Fully fledged leader: Chrom

Wind Mage: Ricken

Strategist: MU except they're not in any conflict with the team past Chapter 3

But they're pretty vague compared to Ike-Leif, so meh. =/

I like Chrom's design. I'm not too crazy about his personality. But he's okay. He ranks above certain other FE lords I've played as, like Eirika and Eliwood.

Really?

I wasn't too crazy about Eliwood either, but I liked Eirika.

Was she too weak?

Edited by Carter

Well, Chrom...

"He was courageous, and kind, and everyone spoke fondly of him... blahblahblah."

Generic good guy. Not much to say about him. Well, if he would still have the role of your usual Fire Emblem Lord.

I don't consider these generic good guys not all that bad. Especially for Fire Emblem.

Even when they have no character growth, they can serve to reflect other characters instead and inspire goodness and bravery in those who submitted to cynicism through the hardships of war.

The thing is: Chrom doesn't do any of that. He just plays second fiddle to Avatar, who already serves as the person with the bare bone personality. That makes Chrom kind of redundant. He is just another member of the Avatar worshipers.

Oh, wait... he has more depth to him. He... breaks stuff during training...

And I observed that he has the habit to mess up peoples gender. But despite it showing up so often, I doubt that one was even deliberate. And he is kinda uneducated. But without it getting much acknowledgement.

And it really doesn't help that as the theoretical leader of the Ylissean army, he is kinda responsible for the army's irresponsible behavior.

Like the fact that after destroying the government and the army of Plegia, he just left the now destabilized country and considered it no longer his problem. This lead to Jaffar taking the crown and feed the population to Grima by the truckload.

He did the same thing again in Valm, when he destroyed the one force that stabilized the country, leaving no one left to rule the continent but a group of feuding dynasties only concerned for their own profit. So how many seconds after Chrom left, will they have started their next war?

What I also find annoying about him, is that he insists to everyone that his sister's death was an influence and powerful sacrifice...

...rather then a mere suicide for no visible benefit other then speeding up her death by 10 seconds tops.

So by talking like that, he personally contributes to glorify a pointless suicide.

Because we apparently back to thinking that suicides are great and soooo inspirational, just because they are an "selfless act" rather then mere cowardice.

But hey, maybe it works. I wonder if I can inspire people just like Emmeryn did by throwing myself in front of a car.

Not really Chrom's fault, though.

It's like with Micaiah. The Blood Pact was a pretty weak explanation for the events of chapter 3.

But that doesn't change the purpose of the story device: That Micaiah would have to go to great lengths to avoid the death of the entire country. So no one in-universe questions the necessity of her actions.

So Chrom's problem is, that Emmeryn just isn't given a sacrifice worth a damn. But it's still irritating.

Edited by BrightBow

Really?

I wasn't too crazy about Eliwood either, but I liked Eirika.

Was she too weak?

For me, it was because she was sometimes a little too naive/idealistic for me. I found her easier to use than ephraim though, for some reason. (maybe my preferred tactics fit her fighting style more?)

[Also, thanks for the popcorn, shadowofchaos!]

Edited by Kat

For me, it was because she was sometimes a little too naive/idealistic for me. I found her easier to use than ephraim though, for some reason. (maybe my preferred tactics fit her fighting style more?)

[Also, thanks for the popcorn, shadowofchaos!]

I always preferred Ephraim, to her..

I liked them both, though.

Like the fact that after destroying the government and the army of Plegia, he just left the now destabilized country and considered it no longer his problem. This lead to Jaffar taking the crown and feed the population to Grima by the truckload.

I know that that was a typo, but that sounds like it might've been a more interesting plot arc than much of Validar's forgettable scheming.

Anyways Chrom is kinda forgettable to me, like people have said. He's like Ike, but without a game where he was interesting, and then only if Ike was overshadowed by someone who is also rather uninteresting for half of the game.

Hector is still probably my favorite lord.

Chrom is the best Lord to date bar Hector

SUGITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Screw character development, screw his flaws.

HE IS VOICED BY *FREAKING* SUGITA.

Do you even know who Sugita is? Do you understand Japanese fluently? Do you know the ins and out of Japanese culture? I'm gonna go with no on all of them. Stop fangirling over things; you look like a baseless weeaboo. Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Do you even know who Sugita is? Do you understand Japanese fluently? Do you know the ins and out of Japanese culture? I'm gonna go with no on all of them. Stop fangirling over things; you look like a baseless weeaboo.

He does. I'm assuming.

I could be wrong, but from my point of view, I would think it's his second language,

He played Awakening in the Japanese version.

Shadowofchaos's niche on this forum is that he fangirls over Japanese things no one really understands or finds amusing or even interesting in the slightest other than himself. But there's no doubt he knows what he's talking about.

Edited by Celes

i'm confused...what class is chrom good in again?

because in my lunatic playthrough, he's 20/20/12 i think, in paladin currently, and he's still trash.

Really? I... had him almost maxed out in all stats at a similar level. In fact, I almost consistently get him at maxed stats at that. (sometimes it takes an extra five through great knight for luna, but most of the time...)

Shadowofchaos's niche on this forum is that he fangirls over Japanese things no one really understands or finds amusing or even interesting in the slightest other than himself. But there's no doubt he knows what he's talking about.

I actually agree with this statement.

Though I know at least one other Sugita fan on this forum.

Do you even know who Sugita is? Do you understand Japanese fluently? Do you know the ins and out of Japanese culture? I'm gonna go with no on all of them. Stop fangirling over things; you look like a baseless weeaboo.

I see you're new here. Welcome to the forum.

Stay away from me if that statement alone made you flinch.

I could be wrong, but from my point of view, I would think it's his second language,

He played Awakening in the Japanese version.

Third.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Well, Chrom...

"He was courageous, and kind, and everyone spoke fondly of him... blahblahblah."

Generic good guy. Not much to say about him. Well, if he would still have the role of your usual Fire Emblem Lord.

I don't consider these generic good guys not all that bad. Especially for Fire Emblem.

Even when they have no character growth, they can serve to reflect other characters instead and inspire goodness and bravery in those who submitted to cynicism through the hardships of war.

The thing is: Chrom doesn't do any of that. He just plays second fiddle to Avatar, who already serves as the person with the bare bone personality. That makes Chrom kind of redundant. He is just another member of the Avatar worshipers.

Oh, wait... he has more depth to him. He... breaks stuff during training...

And I observed that he has the habit to mess up peoples gender. But despite it showing up so often, I doubt that one was even deliberate. And he is kinda uneducated. But without it getting much acknowledgement.

And it really doesn't help that as the theoretical leader of the Ylissean army, he is kinda responsible for the army's irresponsible behavior.

He did the same thing again in Valm, when he destroyed the one force that stabilized the country, leaving no one left to rule the continent but a group of feuding dynasties only concerned for their own profit. So how many seconds after Chrom left, will they have started their next war?

What I also find annoying about him, is that he insists to everyone that his sister's death was an influence and powerful sacrifice...

...rather then a mere suicide for no visible benefit other then speeding up her death by 10 seconds tops.

So by talking like that, he personally contributes to glorify a pointless suicide.

Because we apparently back to thinking that suicides are great and soooo inspirational, just because they are an "selfless act" rather then mere cowardice.

But hey, maybe it works. I wonder if I can inspire people just like Emmeryn did by throwing myself in front of a car.

Not really Chrom's fault, though.

It's like with Micaiah. The Blood Pact was a pretty weak explanation for the events of chapter 3.

But that doesn't change the purpose of the story device: That Micaiah would have to go to great lengths to avoid the death of the entire country. So no one in-universe questions the necessity of her actions.

So Chrom's problem is, that Emmeryn just isn't given a sacrifice worth a damn. But it's still irritating.

I think I agree with everything you say!

Probably my main problem with him, other than having everything given to him for granted, is that he just goes... "Lol war ended I'm going back to my country see you suckas"... but that's probably just bad writing, IMO.

Also Emmeryn' suicide... nobody cares about it anymore after chapter 9, and it all becomes even more meaningless when you find out she is still alive (and she can't have supports with her siblings either!), and Chrom doesn't really seem to change nor develop after it: he just jumps the avatar loving bandwagon like the rest of the cast... :(

His continued preaching on "WE CAN CHANGE TEH DESTINY" also gets very boring and repetitive. I want the story to tell me more things, not just 2 morals repeated over and over.

As a unit, I'm sure I can make him decent but I have to grind both him and his wife ATM ;; He has always very low defense and resistance and that's a no-no.

So yeah, I don't like Chrom, sorry...

But I like Inigo as his child and Olivia as his wife, if that's a plus: not because I disrespect Olivia but because I think he can be a very nice and protective husband to her, and also seeing Chrom with a male child who wants to be a dancer... it makes me laugh evilly, seeing how close-minded he seems, hohoho.