most interesting thing in the universe?

There was this thing I read that went something along the lines of "we may only know around %10 of all marine life" or something like that, quite a phenomenon. Also, there are ecosystems at the bottom of deep sea trenches that strive with no producers, light, or heat from the sun, making the sun's existence entirely irrelevant to them. I mean, this stuff is close to home, still so much left to be discoveed just on earth.

Edited by Knight

The most interesting thing... Hmm.

I guess the fact that there are so many things yet to be proven and discovered in our universe. Wouldn't it be cool if the Einstein-Rosen bridge/ wormholes were real? Or maybe multiverses?

But how do you know there is so much to discover. For all you know, the are or aren't many things left to discover.

We may be here a while. :D

But, um, I'd have to say the idea of multiple universes is just so fascinating. I mean, what's going on in those universes? Are we subconsciously aware of them and that's why we make the decisions we do, because our alternate self has picked a different option? Are our alternate selves subconsciously aware of us? What choices or paths have they taken to differentiate themselves from us here? Are the universes separate from one another, or very deeply intertwined? I could go on and on about this, really...

Although, me being me, I have to say weather takes a close second.

But how do you know there is so much to discover. For all you know, the are or aren't many things left to discover.

Do you know how gigantic the entire world is? x3 Do you know how much of the ocean we have yet to explore (as Knight's said)? Do you know the rate we keep finding new species, and how many new ones will keep producing? Do you believe we understand everything in science by now? Which would be unfortunate because then scientists would have nothing more to do with their lives. There are many objects way way way way far out there from this planet that could still hold many many secrets. We don't even fully understand ourselves yet.

With so much unexplored, and with how complex science can be, I'd say there's no chance that there isn't much left to discover.

Really now. If people gave up on trying to figure out what more there was to the universe than what we knew already, life would be pretty boring. Telescopes would never have been invented, planets would never have been discovered. Where's the fun in not believing there's more out there than what we know so far? D:

It's not as much as knowing that there is more out than it is having disbelief that what we know is the be all and end all of information. Especially when what we know, as well as the general nature of scientific discovery, isn't set into stone. Who's to say someone doesn't discover something that just suddenly turns all we know about the universe on its head?

Randomly, this thread feels the appropriate place to drop a MinutePhysics link xD

Edited by pinkbubblegum

There was this thing I read that went something along the lines of "we may only know around %10 of all marine life" or something like that, quite a phenomenon. Also, there are ecosystems at the bottom of deep sea trenches that strive with no producers, light, or heat from the sun, making the sun's existence entirely irrelevant to them. I mean, this stuff is close to home, still so much left to be discoveed just on earth.

similarly, the total amount of matter and anti-matter is about 4-7% of the total amount of "stuff" in the known universe. dark matter is about 22-25%, and the rest dark energy. we jon snuh's truly no nuthin

well, even if what's discoverable is small in number (which, given the size of the universe, is unlikely), we still don't know much about anything. so instead we would shift our focus to knowing things instead of discovering things.

edit: my issues with the many-worlds concept is that it's unfalsifiable in its current state. it is nice to think about, but as an up-and-coming scientist, i'm angered by the fact that some theoretical physicists throw the scrutiny of science out the window in order to call it a scientific theory. it's more or less just a thought experiment at this point.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

The universe. That is some complex thing.

Conciousness, which allows matter to contemplate itself (As my friend so often quotes from someone i can't remember at the moment).

The universe. That is some complex thing.

Conciousness, which allows matter to contemplate itself (As my friend so often quotes from someone i can't remember at the moment).

carl sagan

"we are a way for the cosmos to know itself"

Edited by Phoenix Wright

similarly, the total amount of matter and anti-matter is about 4-7% of the total amount of "stuff" in the known universe. dark matter is about 22-25%, and the rest dark energy. we jon snuh's truly no nuthin

I jon snuh truly nu nothin bout this jon snuh business tell ah guglahd eht. Turns out I knew it all along.